1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

2009 Correction Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

None provided.

Reviews by GClarkage:
4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

05/04/09- Purcahsed at K&L Wine Cellars in Redwood City, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, 2009 release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Quite dull copper-rust orange in color. Full size plus one inch growing head. Fades soon after and leaves some light lace markings.

Smell- Super pungent and fragrant hoppy goodness. Lots of tropical scents as well as fresh tangerines and orange. All hops here...hard to find any malt notes.

Taste- Taste pretty good too. Very fresh orchard hoppy taste. Mostly orange and a bit of lemon with a nice sugary hint to it. Malt is here, but really plays quite a backseat to the hops. Lightly toasted, but almost too overwhelmed by the hops.

Mouthfeel- Medium to a slightly higher carbonation level. Lasting a very bitter hop aftertaste.

Drinkability- Fine job here for an IPA. A bit too bitter and not quite balanced enough for me to make it an upper tier IPA, but quite good.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Appearance - Pours a bright, light caramel with a 1 finger off-white head. Sticky rings of lacing along the glass.
Smell - Pine, resin and some citrus.
Taste - Lots of pine, some resin and a dash of citrus. Very little malt presence.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with light-moderate carbonation. Feels a bit under carbonated in the number of bubbles, but the rate of carbonation is a little overdone.
Drinkability - Easy drinking, very enjoyable.

4.85/5  rDev +21.6%

I really like this well balanced beer. Very crisp, very tart, and very drinkable. This is a great mixture of hops and malt. A lot of haps balanced nicely with malt but without a ton of alcohol, meaning you can actually have more than one of them at a time. I plan on picking up plenty of these to take to football tailgates. This is a beer worthy of enjoying all afternoon with friends.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

Chilled 22oz bottle into a glass. Purchased at Whole Foods in Los Altos, CA.

A: Clear amber / copper blend with an off-white head. Has decent retention, but recedes into a clump of film on top of the brew with substantial lacing and register marks down the glass. Nice-looking.

S: An aromatic cornucopia. Orange rind is strongest, with grapefruit, pear, lemon, grass, and biscuit.

T: A very short biscuit taste at first, but it proceeds to become a fruity hop bomb with flavors of pear, lemon, and grapefruit. That progresses into an earthy orange rind bitterness, and draws to a grassy finish in the end. Has a slight cinnamon kick in the finish. Quite a lot going on here, even if it's not my favorite profile.

M: Has a dry finish with a slightly spicy kick. Some oiliness present, and definitely warms the palate.

D: Quite a good brew -- I recognize the skill that went into it. If it were the type of flavor I enjoyed, I would certainly buy it again. But it's not. I prefer their standard IPA or even their Hop Stoopid to this one.

4.39/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- A relatively careful pour yields a golden amber with a small white head and little retention

S- Predominant aromas are of pineapple, citrus, and pine.

T- Initially I get hints of sweet pale malt flavors, which give way to a bright fruity bouquet of sharp lemon, tropical fruit, apricot, pineapple, and a really nice grapefruit bitterness on the finish. One of the most refreshing and yet not overly-simplistic flavor profiles I've had.

M- Light to medium bodied, with a fairly strong bite from the high levels of carbonation, which is to my liking.

D- Very drinkable and at 6.33% ABV, I'll have no trouble killing this bomber. Definitely session-able stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Lagunitas 2009 Correction Ale is a clear, sparkling golden ale with a thick, dense, foamy, yellowish off white head with a smattering of big bubbles. It leaves excellent lacing. It has a huge fruity aroma that's lightly sweet. There are notes of orange and pine. It smells fresh-- excellent! It has a soft, smooth medium body with a clean finish. It has a nice, strong, clean bitterness of citrus peel and pine resin. The malt is slightly sweet. It's a bit top-heavy, which is great. It's typical Lagunitas fare. I love it.

4.34/5  rDev +8.8%

I went into a local BevMo thinking I would pick up my fix of Hop Rod Rye. As I was picking up the BR bomber, I stopped and eyed this bottle of Lagunitas 2009 Correction Ale. I needed hops, and was willing to see what this one would have in store for me. I don't regret my decision to forego the Hop Rod!

Enjoyed in my new Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: I have to pause on the label. What in the world is going on? It took me forever to figure out what they were trying to say on various parts of the label. Anyhow, this beer pours about two fingers of ivory head over a gorgeous golden hue. Constant bubbling from the etching at the bottom of the glass, which is weird to see but doesn't bother me too much. Some sticky lacing and good retention.
S: This beer smells incredible. Huge hop aromas explode out of the pour. I get florals, herbals, and pine perfumes. Ripe mandarin sweetness and a splash of bitter grapefruit. I can't wait to sip this baby.
T: Tons of hoppiness here, too. Florals and toasted pine, for the most part. Caramel malt sweetness pulls through more and more with warmth, which makes for a strong balance. But this beer is definitely hop heavy. There's something missing in the sip that is difficult to put into words. Moments of thin flavor make me want as much citrus on the mouth as I detected on the nose.
M: Medium body and carbonation. Slick with some residuals.
D: Delicious. And worth the tradeoff with Hop Rod Rye. Lagunitas has really been blowing me away lately. As always, I look forward to trying more of their offerings.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

The appearance of this one was good, had a nice dark yellow color that came with the two finger head, left a little lacing around the glass.

The smell was good, you could smell that hop bite, something that I always look forward to. You could also smell honey and a light malt smell that I thought was unusual. The hops were not overwhelming, they were mild and although they were the first smell that came, they were mixed well with the other smells.

The taste was really good, especially from Lagunitas, a brewery which I am not always a fan of. The best part of this brew was in the taste. It was a hop oil flavor that lingered on the tongue for quite some time. Really enjoyable. The mouthfeel brought me down a bit because there was a chalkiness to the brew that I could not really figure out completely. It just tasted like a thick sediment or something of that nature. I don't honestly know what it was.

Overall a great beer to try and maybe a repeat, maybe not. Glad I bought it and enjoyed it.
J

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Bought this at a local grocery store strictly based on the concept. I am a bottle collector, and I loved the idea. Lagunitas is one of my fave breweries, partly because of their creative marketing. Their copy alone is worth the price of admission, so to speak. I love the "unlimited release" and "drink immediately" concepts. This was great, as I recall, although I have yet to find a bad beer from this brewery. (Right now I'm drinking their Little Sumpin Sumpin at an ale house near my house. Bold, flavorful, ... I love it!

4.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

taste- very tart, bitter, big hops and malt, sweet hop flavors

color- deep orange, light copper

clarity- clear

smell- cascade hops, grapefruit, skunky aroma, malty presence

body- medium-full, long bitter hop finish...hold on

appearance- light, thin, oily, sticky, lacey head

overall impression- textbook ipa from california...maybe a double ipa, bright, acidic, hoppy, aromatic, crisp, a keg of this would be dangerous, alcoholic

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bomber, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: light orangish amber color. clear. thick, white head that laces well.

S: citrusy, fresh oranges, grapefruit. slight malt aroma also detected.

T: slight malty sweetness underneath the ample hop bitterness. the hop bite lingers in the mouth for a good duration. this beer is hop dominate, with the bitterness coming through more than the hop flavor.

MF: light bodied, low carbonation, very smooth drinking

Drinkability: very drinkable, and easy drinking because of the light body and low carbonation. hard to sip and enjoy.

A) Pours with a sticky, big bubble and creamy head. Slowly settles. Lacing is the same. Visible upward carbonation. Bronze in color.
S) Orange. Pineapple. Subtle earthy notes.
T) Earthy caramel sweetness. Orange and grapefruit tones. A mellow, lingering hop bite in the finish and beyond, but again very mellow.
M) Fairly smooth. Medium bodied. A mild CO2 fizzy-ness.
D) A Delicious IPA. I would definitely have another.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

So this was an interesting one for me. Right off the bat, I knew this was not going to be a normal IPA. There is such a heavy smell of grapefruit/citrus hops from the forefront that I knew what the taste would be. Sure enough this was comparable to drinking a glass of grapefruit beer. Which I would contend isn't bad, but can be overpowering after a while. I split a 750 with a friend and that was enough for me. Still an interesting try for anyone who likes the citrusy hops.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Nice amber color with virtually no head, nice citrus and light pine sap aroma.

The taste of hops was as expected, or perhaps less intense then I would have expected. It was otherwise bitter and sweet with a minimal aftertaste.

In not one for IPA's, but this one isn't bad.

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very clear orangey amber, with a finger or two of white head. The head settles down pretty quickly, but doesn't disappear and leaves decent lacing.

S: Very nice fruity/piney hops, with a touch of sweetness.

T: Much like the nose. Hoppy but not too hoppy, though the bitterness sticks around a bit on the aftertaste.

M: Lots of carbonation, light to medium mouthfeel. Crisp.

D: Easy to drink, and the ABV isn't too high either.

A nice offering from Lagunitas on the subtle flavors side of things. Like it says on the bottle, "It's just a good American Ale."

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Nice, foamy, white head that lingered for a short period. The aroma is getting a little sweeter than I remember and a little less hoppy, probably because the hops have faded a little since the bottle isn't completely fresh. Still a bitter bite upon drinking, exactly what I was expecting and looking for. I think that the sweetness that has developed in the beer has actually done some good for the beer. Can Lagunitas make a bad beer if they tried to? I wonder if they will make this beer every year? They should. It's really good..."correction", its great.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

A-Poured into a pint glass. Appears a light copper with minimal head. Some lacing that doesn't last long.

S-Hoppy with some greatfruit

T-Citrus up front. Tastes alot like it smells; greatfruit. Not getting much on the back end of this one. Good refreshing brew

M-Good carbonation all the way through.

D-I could easily drink a few of these

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

A: Rich honey hue with a frothy white head.
Very active carbonation, a beautiful sight.

S: Great floral hop nose that makes the nose
tingle a bit. Good citrus notes with very mild
notes of alcohola and grass.

T: Heavenly 74IBU imbalance! One gulp makes the
mouth tingle and water. Very zesty and a little
sweet.

M/D: Great body with a fantastic mouthfeel thus
adding to the overall great drinkability of
the brew.

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly darker than yellow, it pours crystal clear with a medium amount of carbonation. It has a head that leans toward the coarse side, albeit plentiful. The aroma is redolent with citrusy hops. The first taste is thin and unexciting. Bitter, but missing the character found in most top shelf IPA. The mouthfeel is thin. It has a finish with slight floral characteristics.

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

3.95/5  rDev -1%

1 pint 6 oz bottle poured into a pint-tulip hybrid. Body is a very light and clear amber. Forms a good bright white head but it doesn't last long. Sparse lacing.

Citrus/grapefruit hop aromas keep this fairly sweet. Smells similar to the standard Lagunitas IPA in this regard. Some caramel malts can be fished out as well but really all about the hops.

Initial flavors are of more citrus hops but not as much as expected from the nose. Some caramel tries to peek though but the overall malts are a little subdued for a Lagunitas ale over 6%. I was going to give this a lower grade but some mild yet interesting herbal and dry smokey hops on the aftertaste helped keep me interested and keeps the hopping different enough than other offerings from Lagunitas.

Mouthfeel comes across a little on the
thin side but drinkability is good mostly because of the medium-low ABV.

Overall a well executed, fairly interesting, hoppy ale but probably not going into regular rotation in the fridge.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a deep golden-orange color, very clear and with sparkling carbonation. The head is a bubbly off white that sticks around a while. Nice rich aroma of a variety of hops. I get strong grapefruit and pine. Virtually no malt aroma. Flavor is an explosion of hops as well, but not as overpowering as I expected from the nose. There is more of a malt aspect too and a touch of sweetness. I wouldn't call this one balanced, but not as far off as I expected. Mouthfeel is quite nice. Not too thick or thin, and the carbonation is pleasant and not too strong.

2009 Correction Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company