A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,625 | Ratings: 8,660
3.06/5  rDev -27%

It's comes on strong and is a mouthful, orange and bitter with a mediumness to it, hops sprinkled throughout.

Taste Rating in Words: It's being punched in the face when you don't expect it and then the pain fades and you realize they pulled there punch and ran.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Poured a clear honey color. Had this from the bottle and only poured out a little to get a visual on it, so I can't speak as to the head.

Picture of cute chick on the bottle. (hey, that's part of appearance too)

S: Hey, wait, this smells way too hoppy for a wheat. Heavy on the pine and grapefruit.

T: Faint wheat, heavy pine flavor and a bit of spice from the hops.

M: Medium-bodied with just a little bit of stickiness. Viscous and generally pleasant.

O: So this is Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, eh? I like an ale with wheat. I'm not typically a fan of beers with a lot of hop character. Might have liked it more if I hadn't been expecting something closer to a weizen. Admittedly I picked this up because some folks on another forum were raving about it.

Gave this a second try as of 07/14. This is either a very good IPA or a failure of a wheat ale. Like somebody got a little too clever for their own good. "Hey, lets just keep adding hops!"

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

A: Light amber color. Not as dark as I expected. Lots of head (3-4 fingers on an aggressive pour). Head is slow to recede away.

S: Fruity and flowery like I'd expect from an IPA. Not too pungent or overpowering. Promises to be flavorful - yet not too much.

T: I am not a fan of bitter. This is right on the edge of too bitter for me. Not a stop, drop and roll - but not a power it down either. Bitter early, nice in the mid palate, then there is an astringent feel late.

M: Dry feeling throughout.

O: Probably not a repeat. The bitter is too far forward for my tastes.

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance was rich gold in color, with a slight murkiness, and thin white head...rather appealing. Aroma was faint, with a whiff of citrus. Taste was grapefruit and pineapple, with pine and herb and not enjoyable for me. Carbonation was rather light. Overall, this beer tries too hard to be an intense IPA--while unique, I found it very difficult to drink. I won't purchase again, and won't drink it again.

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

A little sweet and malty for my taste, but a nice head and well hidden ABV.

Pours nicely into a pint glass. Amber to straw in color with a thick, white, soapy head.

Aroma is malty, paired with orangey hops. Some pith hints at the bitters.

The taste is sweet, with malty hops bringing some oranged , light caramel, and hints sappy pine.

Mouthfeel is poppy bubbles but sticky sweet. Medium body.

Not what I was hoping for, but not bad. Well hidden ABV, with an interesting and intense balance of hops and malts. Ultimately, not my favorite profile.

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

This was at a beer bar and no one at the place knew what kind of style it was. I tried a small glass and wasn't able to tell myself. After reading that it's an American Wheat it makes sense. This is an ok beer but a little strong to have the typical advantages of a wheat; refeshing, etc. Good color, carbonation and smell. A little short on taste and mouthfeel. Worth a try but there are better ones out there.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Mehhh not a hop head sooo ya, this beer poured great looked and smelled beautiful. Give me a beer I can sit and easily drink over this one. However it was fun to try. If it's your thing cool.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a Duvel.

A - Looks like liquid wheat in a glass. Nice pale golden ale. Poured with very little head and trace amounts of lacing.

S - Very sweet smell. Has a citrus smell of orange, grapefruit and tangerines.

T - Tastes nothing like it smells. Has a strong bitter taste that immediately hits the palate. A strong hoppy taste as well.

M - Ok. It is the type of beer that wipes away all taste immediately. Leaves a bitter almost metallic taste. It's has about a medium mouthfeel.

D - Not for me but if you like this style I am sure its drinkable as it is very light. The hoppy taste will really sit well with that crowd.

3.19/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer just did not appeal to my tastes. I typically like very hoppy beer, but this beer was just a mixed up mess of hops, tastes, bitterness and flavors. Compared to other high quality pale ales and IPA this is just average at best. I think they tried hard but failed.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Drank this out of a tulip. Lagunitas always impresses so I figured I'd give this one a try...

A: pours yellow-orange, some lacing and minimal head

S: California hops through and through

T: grapefruit, pine, hops on the front, sweet malt on the back end, maple syrup. Bitter finish that doesn't linger too long, hops and sweet stay with you

M: thick, decently carbonated, alcohol is well masked considering the high abv

D: I'm bored by this, no suggestion of the wheat. Though it's very drinkable like all of Lagunitas' beers, if I were to have to blind taste test this against another hoppy Lagunitas beer I'm not sure that I could tell the difference. It's pretty much just like any other strong IPA.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

This beer pours a clear yellow with a thin head and lacing. The aroma is grapefruit and lemons with some wheat malt in the background. The flavor is mainly grapefruit with a mild hop bitterness that is nicely offset by the wheat malt. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale is a good brew. Recommended.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz bottle into standard pint glass.

A - crystal clear, light yellow color. Minimal head with no lacing, but typical for the style.

S - Very mild, but typical. Slight wheatie aroma but very faint.

T - Malty and sugary up front. Clean finish. Wheat comes through but still mild. Not alot of character and the booze is present but not as much as would be expected from the high ABV paired with this style of beer.

M - booze lingers slightly. creamy yet clean finishing. Leaves you wondering what you just drank but knowing it has some alcohol in it regardless.

O - Once again, not a style I would seek out alot. But, for what it is, Lagunitas has managed to make something drinkable. The high ABV is enjoyable though for many it might make this UNattractive as an option. Just can't bring myself to "want" any beers of this nature. Not bad I suppose but not something I would seek out.

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, light gold color with a thick and creamy cap of white-ish foam. Retention is good, as is the lacing. A pretty beer, no doubt.

Nose is citrus, onion and pine hoppiness with maybe a hint of snappy wheat. Really though, this is a hop forward beer and it shows in the aroma. Unfortunately similar to many other Lagunitas offerings and does nothing new to differentiate itself from the pack.

Resinously hoppy grapefruit juice with a light wheaty malt background...what a surprise. While it is a good beer, I am becoming increasingly bored with hoppy Lagunitas offerings that seem like the same shit over and over again. Where is the originality? Innovation? I just dont see it from a brewery I still admire for doing great beers, but damn, change it up a little, please?!

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

I'd like to know what happened, I've had this before and it tasted like an IPA. This clearly is not an IPA. I checked the lagu website it's a wheat ale with hops added. What was I drinking before.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

A - pours a light blonde with a huge rocky head and creamy lacing clings to the glass.

S - Overwhelming amounts of hops. I thought this was a wheat ale? Very citrusy.

T - The hops are bombastic lots of citrus. At the end almost as an afterthought is the wheat finish.

M - Oily slickness from the hops up front then a drying effect from the wheat. I dont think they pair well at all.

D - It's ok. The amount of hops with the wheat strikes my palate odd.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tastes like an IPA to me. Just barely darker than a lager. Fluffy white head. Smells like a west coast IPA with lots of grapefruit/citrus. The taste is nice, lemony and not too bitter. This one is okay; would definitely order again.

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Intense citrus , floral and hop smell, but tastewise this beer tries too hard to be something it is not with an overly intense IPA approach. Will not buy again.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a yellow-amber with a pale head that soon disappeared

Smell and taste of a light pale ale (citrus and spice with a bitter finish), nothing to indicate being a wheat. Good but not memorable; lacks real complexity to savor to make for an overall good rating, and I particularly need this to justify an ABV over 7.

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a crystal clear straw color. Decent white head, dissipates quickly.

Smell is barely there, a little sweet and malty. I'm thinking this is an older bottle.

Taste is malty sweet. A little grassy, not much there at all.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, just not sure if this is fresh or not. I'll have to pick some up again to be sure.

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams pint

A: Pours a golden yellow with a 1finger off white head. Little head retention, plenty of lacing.

S: Smells of hops, pine, resin and some spice.

T: Pretty much on the nose. Hops up front, some pine and resin and mild spice.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: I'm confused. I bought this thinking it was a "Pale American Wheat Ale". I have no idea how this is any sort of wheat ale, as it smells and tastes like a standard IPA. I even double checked the bottle after poring it to to make sure I bought what I thought I did. Also, I get no wheat at all.

Any any rate, I docked it 1/2point for the fact it's more of an IPA than any sort of Pale Wheat Ale. Still a great brew, just not at all what it claims to be.

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Golden color with a pretty nice white head with good retention.

S: Lots of pine, grapefruit and some pale malts.

T: I don't know what it is about Lagunitas beers, but not one of them has really impressed me so far. Maybe at this point, it's becoming a mental thing. This one just didn't do it for me, though. It had a strong pine hop flavor and some floral hops thrown in as well. A dash of bready malts and then a ton of hop resin that gave it a really harsh bitterness. The balance felt way off and I probably wouldn't want to try this one again.

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours medium gold with a big white foamy head. Good clarity, no bubbles, light lace.

Enormous grapefruit aroma. Smells delicious, but where is the wheat and the the rest?

I am drowning in hops. While these are quite flavorful, there is virtually nothing else. You get some malt but it's punched back by the hops. A wheat IPA? Light malt in the very finish. Not enough. Alcohol is well hidden.

Medium body, needs a bit more carbonation.

Blind -- it is drinkable. Good hoppy brew, but where the hell is everything else? Overdone. Likable, but over hopped. Still, worth trying, but I doubt I could do more than 2 without getting a little bored.

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting beer. I picked it up simply because I liked the label. I had no idea what sort of beer it was but the label was attractive. After opening and pouring it into a glass it was apparent that it was a wheat beer which generally I'm not a huge fan of, but the color wasn't off putting and the aroma was pleasant. Nice citrus and wheat notes. I thought it had a slightly floral smell which was at first I wasn't too sure of, but it grew on me. I took my time drinking it and found overall it to be very satisfying and clean. Nothing unpleasant about the beer's head or the consistency in the glass. A great beer for being outside in the warm weather. I wouldn't say I loved it, but could surely see myself drinking it again. I think its the kind of beer that the more you drink of it the more you can enjoy it.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a semi hazy orangeish-yellow and had (due to a bad pour by me) about 2 inches of slightly off-white head that dissipated at a moderate pace and left more than average lacing.

A crisp hop aroma hits the nose without any of the wheat components noticeable. Citrus hops are the dominant flavor, so much so that I'm not finding anything else.

The body is in the middle of the road, neither thin nor full. This beer is nicely drinkable, although I suspect I would get bored after a couple.

Overall I find this to be a nice beer that I'm not sure where it fits in the big picture. Perhaps a different yeast to add some more flavors? Worth seeking out.

3.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottled last week of September, 2011

A: Near excellent clarity of apricot ale. Transient finger of white foam falls to a sheet of the same. Spotty lace.
S: Grassy, with some caramel and pine hops.
T: Malty with a good punch of bitterness and some nice yeast flavor that is floral in character. I dig.
M: Medium bodied with hi carb and dry finish.
O: Good beer. I'm finding myself more and more satisfied with Lagunitas lately, my interest was peaked by their Old Dogtown Pale Ale, good shit.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company