A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,614 | Ratings: 8,628
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

A Lil Sumpin Sumpin is really a wheat based IPA and is more a specialty beer than a wheat pale ale. But however it should be categorized, it is tasty.

Pours a mostly clear (some viscosity) yellow with a small white head that didn't last, but I liked the clarity.

Smell is lemony citrus west-coast hops plus some grainy wheat malt sweetness. No esters to speak of. Very clean yeast character.

Taste is strong hop bitterness for the style, plus the lemony citrus hop flavor. Sweetness starts out the taste, but quickly gives way to the hops, which leads to a clean finish that is neither sweet nor too dry. The middle of the taste is all grainy wheat.

Medium body and smooth, with a bit of dryness in the finish to balance out the fuller sweeter body at the start. The dryness is probably due to the hops. Some noticeable alcohol warming, but not hot or harsh.

Overall, the initial sweetness is nicely balanced by the big hop bite in this beer. The sweetness and hops surround a grassy wheat malt middle. This is a go to beer for me.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Truly enjoyed this offering. Thanks to Rob, brought out to the boat to pair up with some FFF and other goodies for the Hot summer day.

A: What is expected. Looks enticing

S: Wow, jumps at you. Says drink me, I smell like FFF! (coming from a local FFF resident) citrusy, piney sweetness!

T: aroma is followed by the wonderful taste that includes pine hops, orange citrus, then some soft malty notes and of course HOPS to even it all out.

M: terrific with hops and silky smooth citrus refreshments

O: I will crave this beer until I have another. Haven't been able to get my hands on it. But I will, yes I will!!

3.98/5  rDev -5%

The aroma is largely characterized by pine needles with a fruity edge: resin with grape and pineapple and a slightly doughy undertone. It has an eggshell-white head with a clear, light golden body; lots of lacing sticks around. The flavor is citrusy with a spicy bitterness and is reminiscent of pine needles, orange rind, and grapefruit, along with some doughiness that rounds out the flavor a little. The mouthfeel is rather crisp and medium-light in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall, the flavors don't seem to mesh very well; the citrus-like flavors and bitterness seem very stark. On the other hand, it has the intense hop character of an IPA with a discernible malt influence which comes across as soft and bread-like. The hops are citrusy and bitter, siding with grapefruit, lemon, and lime without the rounding influence of some sweeter, tarter orange, etc.

I liked this beer at the beer on-tap. appearance nice head and lacing in a pint glass. this beer is pretty amazing I was very impressed by it and drank two glasses. the taste is creamy and good feel to it. It is pretty drinkable the alcohol is well hidden.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

A) Reddish/golden brown. Head vanishes quickly.

S) Smells of a strong lemongrass.

T) Hoppy with a strong flavor of fruits.

M) Dry, but not overpowering.

The beer is somewhere between a "refreshing brew" and a "hoppy flavorful sipper" for me, making it tough to find times when I'm in a mood for a beer of such characteristics.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured a bit hazy dark gold with 3 finger white head. Nice lacing. Nose was a bit piney w/ citrus. A little wheat but this is not a hefe. Feel is thicker and taste is very sweet with an IPA hop finish.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely amazing smell - very tropical, fruity and fresh. It is very smooth and pretty light on the feel. I really enjoyed this beer and could have several of them and be happy.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a golden hue into a pint glass with a minimal head. The evident smells are light, floral hops. The taste is upfront hops, without being overwhelming. Somehow this beer manages to be both light and hoppy, a rare breed in my experiences. The hop bitterness is not to the extent of an IPA, but the hop flavor is prevalent. This could easily be a session beer, and I highly recommend it.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours a pale, gold topped with a one finger head, which dissipates rather quickly. Light lacing throughout.

S- Citrus and hops. Maybe grapefruit. Some pine and malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light. Smooth carbonation. Very light tingle to palate. Somewhat dry finish.

Overall - Very drinkable. Please sir...may I have another! :) YUM!!

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I usually am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I guess the rep on this one is that its wheat is basically hard to detect. That's to my advantage, because I find this to be delicious. Their Sucks used to be my favorite, but I believe its taste and quality lost something along the way of transforming from a seasonal to a ridiculous shelf-sitting 32 ouncer and then a new year-rounder. I wish bottled-on dates were prominent on their beers. But in any event, this one, I believe, is the perfect substitute. Indeed, this tastes like a super IPA. I think some reasonably have a basis to object on this basis to its label classification of a pale wheat. Still, regardless of what it's called, I think this is a great tasting brew

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A really beautiful beer. Dark honey color, with a thick fluffy head about 3 fingers tall. Left a lot of lacing and a thin layer of foam on top that lasted til the end. Smell was a little off putting (my bottle was undated, could have been old). Smelled a little like Lysol mixed with rubbing alcohol. There was definitely an unpleasant alcohol burn that tasted a little like rubbing alcohol, also. I realize this is a little higher than average ABV than a typical beer, but at the same time, I've had equally high ABV beers without that taste. If I looked past the alcohol burn, the beer was great; balanced with just the right amount of hops and citrusy flavors. I don't think it's quite as good as others here say, but it was okay. I'd be willing to try it again and see if my bottle really was bad.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

A - pours a light blonde with a huge rocky head and creamy lacing clings to the glass.

S - Overwhelming amounts of hops. I thought this was a wheat ale? Very citrusy.

T - The hops are bombastic lots of citrus. At the end almost as an afterthought is the wheat finish.

M - Oily slickness from the hops up front then a drying effect from the wheat. I dont think they pair well at all.

D - It's ok. The amount of hops with the wheat strikes my palate odd.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A good transparent golden straw color with a firm white head. A very thin ring of sediment in the bottle. I expected a bit more cloudiness and sediment. Smells like a hoppy IPA. Not too much malt in the scent but a small hint to their presence. Makes for a superb IPA but a little under malted for a wheat beer to my taste. A good all around mouthfeel and a very drinkable beer for it's alcohol content but in all it lacks a strong wheat malt for me.
Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

I got me a little sumpin' sumpin' and I like it!

Pours a slightly hazy golden with a nice 3 finger head after and aggresive pour into a Guinness pint glass. The off-white head receded quickly but was very sticky all around.

The bouquet was sweet ripe apricot and peaches - very nice indeed.

Flavors were more of the apricot and a variety of ripe lush fruits with a backbone of bitter hops that did not overwhelm the nice fruit flavors. Very reminiscent of a fruit forward IPA.

Excellent mouthfeel, viscous with a nice residual hop bite.

Superb balance. Excellent fruits with a perfect hop character that is consistent from start to finish that doesn't drown out the fruits or aromas and leaves your 'buds intact to appreciate the total package.

Pardon me...I gotta end this review so I can go get a little more sumpin' sumpin'.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a light golden, almost pilsner-like appearance. Decent head and persistent lacing. Fairly hoppy aroma that I have come to expect from Lagunitas. This beer is pretty interesting because it is a wheat beer but has many characteristics of a hoppy pale ale. I get wheat beer on the front end with a bitter pale ale finish. This beer is a nice change from a typical summer beer, a good amount of hops but not over the top.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours an amber color with an orange hue. Small off-white head that recedes with medium lacing.

Smells very balanced. There are some fruity notes on top of a bready malt base with piney hop backing.

Taste is sweet breadyness. Nice citrus notes and a tad bitter on the finish.

Clean beer, and easy to have more than one.

Only downside is it reminds me very heavily of Wilco Tango Foxtrot. Except in appearance.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lovely golden orange, two fingers of head that lingers. Smell not strong. Taste complex, smooth, not too hoppy, long finish. Feel is creamy. Very enjoyable!

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Poured from 12 oz bottle into my new Lost Abbey mug and looks pretty good off the bat. Deep and slightly-opaque golden hue with a fairly light but lacey head that settles smoothly down the sides of the glass. Carbonation seems a bit minimum compared to many wheat ales of similar caliber.

S: Sweet semi-fruity scent without being overbearing or too strong. A slight oat and berry feeling to the smell. A little bit of nutty aroma as well at the end.

T: BAM! Straight to the dome! What a blissful drinking experience this is right off the bat. So many complex flavors swirling around all at the same time with so much synergy between them. Every time I drink this beer I'm continually blown away by how much I love to think about the taste of it. It's piney, it's hoppy to the core, it hits your taste buds wiith a sense of sweetness and bitterness that is out of this world. You can absolutely taste the high ABV (7.5% alcohol) and often this is bad for beers but in this case it's one of the most glorious aspects of the entire brew. Love it, will always love it, and is one of the top 10 best tasting beers I've ever personally had.

M: Mouthfeel is great as well, though not a perfect 5. It's close though - very creamy but once again, not overbearingly so. Light enough to drink a 6-pack and be feeling on top of life.

Overall: This is definitely one of my favorite beers of all time. I've tried almost every release from Lagunitas that has come out in the last 7 years and this ranks up there with the best of them. I hope they never discontinue this one because I will keep buying it and promoting it as long as it's around. Thank you Lagunitas for such a great brew.

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Pours a golden yellow color with white one finger head. Head fades quickly.

S - Malty, bready wheat. Grainy.

T - Starts out with a malty flavor with some wheat flavor followed by a slight hoppy smooth finish.

M - Medium with light carbonation.

O - Somewhere between a hoppy wheat beer and a malty IPA. An interesting beer by Lagunitas that is hard to place in a specific category but it works.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Dark golden straw color. Thin white head with some lacing.

S: Lots of fresh hop aroma. Mostly pine but citrus in there too. Sweet wheat in the back.

T: Good sweet wheaty malty taste with piney hops mixed in. Is nommers a flavor description?

M: It is on the fuller side with carbonation that keeps it light enough to be refreshing.

D: Easy to drink and delicious. Not my first choice for a summer beer but it is damn good. I wish this wasn't my last bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz bottle into standard pint glass.

A - crystal clear, light yellow color. Minimal head with no lacing, but typical for the style.

S - Very mild, but typical. Slight wheatie aroma but very faint.

T - Malty and sugary up front. Clean finish. Wheat comes through but still mild. Not alot of character and the booze is present but not as much as would be expected from the high ABV paired with this style of beer.

M - booze lingers slightly. creamy yet clean finishing. Leaves you wondering what you just drank but knowing it has some alcohol in it regardless.

O - Once again, not a style I would seek out alot. But, for what it is, Lagunitas has managed to make something drinkable. The high ABV is enjoyable though for many it might make this UNattractive as an option. Just can't bring myself to "want" any beers of this nature. Not bad I suppose but not something I would seek out.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours a clear golden with a generous white head. Good retention that fades to a thin covering but lasts. good lacing.

S: Floral, grapefruit and a bit of pine are in the forefront. Sweet fruity malt aroma springs through the hops. A bit of apple and pear.

T: A bit of pine and grapefruit but surprisingly more balanced than a typical IPA with a bright fruit, apple malt sweetness coming through whit just a hint of wheat. Very pleasant sweet finish balances the earthy pine and grapefruit aroma hops. A modest bittering charge doesn't overwhelm the palate.

M: Medium light body, a tiny bit slick. low to medium carbonation lets flavors shine. No astringency.

O: This is one of my favorites by Lagunitas. It has all the aroma hops of an IPA without a harsh bittering charge. A perfect example of an APA. Perfect balance of malt sweetness and hops. I like that the wheat doesn't take over the flavor but plays well with the other ingredients. Well done.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

From Notes:

A- Pours a hazy golden hue, with a small head that does not last long. This beer has some small lacing as well.

S- Wow, This is a good smelling sucker. You have some piney and citrus hops , up front with a wheat malt twang in the background.

T- Big citrus hop up front followed by a slight pine hop, not tasting the wheat, but I think its just balancing out the hops cause for all its hoppy taste this beer is not overly bitter.

M- This beer is built on a medium body with a medium level of carbonation. It has a slight stickiness to it though.

D- This beer is 7.3% but you would never know it. This beer is such an easy drinker, I could drink till I drop.

Thoughts- This was my favorite new beer this summer, an wheat ale that bent the style lines just enough to make it unique and flavorly wonderful at the same time.

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pale orange color, served from 12 oz. bottle. The smell is amazing, very grapefruity and sweet citrusy. That continues through other layers in the taste, which is very complex. Sweet candi, toffee, pine and grapefruit, a very balanced and easy-drinking brew that still manages to not pull any punches and makes itself known.

To me, the presence of wheat malt is not noticeable to the taste, besides the yeasty sweetness that characterizes beers like Hefeweizen--instead, the wheat comes across in the overall lightness of the beer. What is actually a pretty strong brew feels airy and light, with little alcohol taste.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Drank in late December out of a snifter.

A- nice amber color with thick head

S- very nice aromas similar to those of an IPA. Citrusy but with more malt aromas to keep it balanced.

T- mild mango and apricot flavors with a bitter/sweet after taste.

M- mild carbonation, syrupy mouthfeel.

O- every time I have this beer I appreciate it more. Although this is not an ipa it has a lot of the characteristics of a ipa. It has great drinkability and whenever I see in stock where I work I buy it.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company