A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Ratings: 8,871 |  Reviews: 1,670

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Couldnt beleive I saw sixers of this down the street at the Marina Market/liquor when stopping in for some milk last night. $8.99 later I was on my way home with my first offereing from this brewery [I know, Im a late bloomer :) ]

A- Poured into a long stem tulip and noticed the golden sunset amber colors had a slight haze to them assuming due to the wheat malt used. (I didnt know this was a wheat ale when I bought it until going on Lagunitas site before I popped the bottle).

S- OMGosh, incredible! Such a rich deep citrus walloping scent my nose was doing somersaults. Slightly spicy with pine and some floral elements but what hits you is the citrus orchard. Mouthwatering smell, the best Ive smelt yet. I could just whiff it all day without taking a sip, its that good to the nose.

T- Following the footsteps of the aroma, the taste is magnificent. Simply complex with a rich fruity citrus explosion followed by an unexpected hop bomb. What a great balanced combo! The taste lingers on just long enough to make your mouth say one thing, MORE!

M- Wheat beers usually have a thick mouthfeel to them but this one breaks the rules, crisp and clean with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O- What a great tasting, smelling and overall drinking experience. The flavors hide the high ABV very nicely. Very sessionable, three bottles later I was feeling as good as it gets. This is a great brew but is more of an IPA than a wheat ale. Remarkable first impressions from this brewery. I sure do love living in Southern California and seeing sixers of this within walking distance of my house. Does it get any better? Not by much Im thinking, not by much. I would rate this a WC offering.

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a translucent pale orange/golden color with fizzy carbonation and a frothy two finger head. The retention's great, and there's tight, sticky lacing. A little generic.

S - Bright, fresh grapefruit dominates. Faint lemon zest and grassy hops. Restrained pine. I don't notice any wheat, but the pale malts lend a noticeable sweetness. Seemingly well balanced. Mild to moderate in strength.

T - Pungent cascade and centennial hopping. Spicy grapefruit zest and light perfumy floral notes open, countered by sweet caramel and pale malts. A bit grassy and alcoholic on the finish. The alcohol's definitely noticeable, but it's unobtrusive. Very well balanced. Tasty stuff.

M - Well carbonated. A little heavier then I'd like. Medium bodied.

D - You'd be hard pressed to find many beers in the style that are comparable (I can think of one). Incredibly easy drinking and well priced. A bit simple, but incredibly refreshing.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company