A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Ratings: 8,900 |  Reviews: 1,676

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Nice glowing straw color. A half inch of lily white head lasts with sticky lacing all over the glass. Carbonation is nil; I can seriously count on one hand the number of CO2 bubbles rising through the brew at any given moment.

Smell: Very piney hops on the nose. As I inhale deeper, it turns into concentrated evergreen sap, with a little sweetness. Like a Christmas tree, very oily and perfumey. I like it!

Taste: Same hops in the nose dominate the taste. Bitterness is certainly there. The malt is lightly sweet and toasty, barely present enough to balance the beer and keep it interesting.

Mouthfeel: Sort of rough. Light to medium bodied. There is a bite/sharpness that is different from the typical hop bitterness. It is hard to explain, but it is definitely detrimental to the drinkability.

Overall: Well, I have had a 6 pack that has taken me almost a month to drink (this is 5 of 6) and this time was the most I enjoyed it. Granted, I'm drinking this immediately after I enjoyed a Sixpoint Resin, so my palate is presumably altered.

In general, I like the hop flavor but the bitterness is too much, or there is not the right malt sweetness to back it up. The quality is there, it's just not quite my taste. Not sure if I will get this again.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar

A- A light copper/dark amber color. not much head retention, but decent amount of lacing. White frothy foam.

S- Very grassy and piney, with subtle amounts of grapefruit and tangerine.

T- The initial taste is of sweet tangerine and grapefruit. There's some honey in there as well and this all ends with some bitterly pine notes.

M- Very light, but very carbonated and sticky. Still easy to go down as it has a light body.

O- Can't believe this is my first time trying this beer. Sweet and sticky with just a decent amount of hops. This is so drinkable, I think I'll be having more of this very soon in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%