Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,611 | Ratings: 8,604
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I stumbled on this new fave two days ago at World Wines in Mentor. Being a fan of Lagunitas, and seeing a reasonably high ABV, I thought it would be worth a try. I was looking for a price and didn't see one, but still, Lagunitas makes first rate stuff.

I got one semi cold and had it the other day and was shocked by the number of flavors mixed in this one. It's hoppy, it's malty, it has a wheat yeast taste. All going on at the same time.

Unlike some other Lagunitas brews, this one is balanced nicely with enough hops to overcome the yeast and malt (some of the others are very malty). The ABV will come after you, so be careful.

This morning I headed over to the store where I got this and bought two more sixes (of the three they had). Price was not on my mind (I think it was $10 or $11) I apologized for hoarding.They told me the last one I didn't buy is the last one they will have (it had just come in Thursday and that was all they will get). California is a long way from NE Ohio, and I may not see a Little Sumpin again for a while, but it sure is sumpin good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For awhile I have been reading a blog post from a guy here in KC raving about how good this beer is. See, from past offerings I have kinda lost an interest in Lagunitas because everything just seemed kinda average. That was then this is now and the KC beer blogger was dead on, A Little Sumpin is delicious.

Pours a crisp hazy golden yellow with a nice frothy head, it screams at me to head out into the sun.

The aroma is excellent, heavy hops with a mild sweetness.

The flavor is excellent as well, very distinguished hop presence but with a mild breadiness that intermingles and creates a perfect balance.

Mouth feel is crisp and clean, extremely refreshing. The right amount of carbonation.

As I said before, this brew is delicious. The abv is a little higher than desired for an everyday drinker but thats the only flaw, minor at that. This has completely transformed my previous view of Lagunitas.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

This is one of my all time favorites. The first time I tried this beer, it was love at first site.

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful and crystal clear copper hue with a 1 to 2 finger head and lots of sticky lacing in the glass.

Smell: Signature Lagunitas Aroma. I huge pop of citrus hops with some slight piney and floral notes. I love the over the top citrus aroma that this beer has, though. Lagunitas has really perfected the great aroma of a higher IBU beer.

Taste: A strong hop flavor that isn't overly bitter that is very nicely paired to a soft malt backbone. The hops are the predominant flavor, but not over powering. The malt backbone consists of some crystal/caramel malt notes, with some slightly biscuity characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky, easy drinking.

Overall: I absolutely love this beer for any time of year. Well done Lagunitas and I hope you continue to crank out some more tasty beers such as this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a great amber/orange color with a big pillow of foam on top.

S: Aroma is of grapefruit/citrusy hops and malts.

T: A full on assault of hops exploding on the taste buds and sweet malts to help balance it all out.

M: Medium bodied and good carbonation level, smooth but by no means mellow true fighter this beer stands tall and shouts go ahead drink me down.

O: Great beer all around love it !

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

I am happy to finally review this beer as it is my favorite beer from one of my favorite breweries- Lagunitas. 12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Appearance- pure gold. Nice white head with above average retention. Nice, intricate lacing.

Smell- fantastic, citrusy, grapefruit aroma. Very nice.

Taste- Amazing! Seriously, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but trust me when I say this tastes like a stellar ipa. Man, this stuff is good! Mega citrusy and strong, sweet, juicy, grapefruit flavor. I don't even like grapefruit but it tastes so good in this beer. I have destroyed six packs of this beer in record time simply because it tastes so good and is ridiculously refreshing.

Mouthfeel- this is another area where this beer excels. Dare I say perfect? Light to medium carbonation and just refreshing as all get out.

Overall- not only is this my favorite Lagunitas beer, it is one of my favorite beers of all time of all styles. Ridiculously refreshing on a sultry South Florida day. You must try this beer. An interesting style but ipa lovers will adore this beer. Top notch.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer very impressed!
I like way better than their IPA!

A: Light amber color, 1/4 inch head but short lived, and a fine lace on the glass.

S: HOPS! fruity, yet a little piney

T: GREAT! the aroma doesn't give it justice... Fruit and honey, almost reminds me of fruity pebbles cereal (but not quite) yet hoppy. crisp but with a dry finish. not too bitter though.

M: very crisp and drinkable for being so high in ABV... DANGEROUS!

One of my Favorites from Lagunitas!

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber, almost yellow color with finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are okay. Has a citric aroma. Slightly piney. Lightly citric malty taste up front with a nice bitter piney hop at the end with a wheat edge. Bitter soapy aftertaste that is great. Excellent beer. Definitely one of my favorites.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

I've never brewed anything quite this good.
It's got a light amber appearance.
A very fruity aroma, like a fruit cocktail.
Tastes like tropical fruit with a nice malt backbone.
The ABV is very well hidden.
This is one of my favorite beers and it proves that you don't need to throw a bunch of money away to drink some of the finest beer in the land.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

nice, clean, warm, almost full-inch head. the lacing is clear and proper foamy, sticks around forever. pours a cool, golden-slime yellow into a nice, translucent heavy-champagne tone. slight, slight sediment present in the body.

smells of oranges and hella hops with a citrus overtone. first hit of the nose reminds one of a christmas tree. mighty floral.

light, citrus, refreshing on-bringing with a crisp wet finish. those floral hops ever so linger. hops here have a unique and mellow taste and feel.

a great, well crafted beer. one of my faves to review so far. damn proud of lagunitas, damn proud.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite goto beers. Always in my rotation, always in my fridge. Lots of great hops and at a 7.5%.... well you can't even tell it has a great taste that is everlasting with superb hops smashing your taste buds!!

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fair warning; I'm rating this beer after having a couple. Lagunitas is fast becoming one of my favorite brands and Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a wonderfully pleasing ale. It has an excellent balance of hops citrus flavor and light body. The bitterness is mild and the finish it smooth. I will have this one again. Cheers!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Of all the Stellar breweries out there, this place is my favorite for creativity and consistent quality. Their hop profiles are much like other world class breweries such as Green Flash, Russian River, Firestone walker that I also love. I've not been able to clone this profile in a homebrew and can only wonder if it is hop extract that is the secret....

As for ALSS this beer is Lagunitas in a nutshell, playful name, unique flavor and a very solid beer. Like all their IPAs, it pours out very light in color with a light lacy head. The body is nice, not too heavy but obviously qualifies as a light DIPA. I just wish I could pickup a half barrel for my fridge!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, I just liked this beer and that's about it. I got hints of northern pine forest and exotic orange peel from the most remote parts of the Amazon rain forest. No harshness, went down smooth. Lacing was like that of a June bride...I will definitely drink again.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours with a thick three finger head which lasts for several minuets then dissipates into a think lacing which stays on the glass and covers the top of the beer until the end.

The smell is strong with hops, pine,(like a freshly cut Christmas tree), orange and grapefruit. There is also a wheat/yeast and toasted oats smell, probably from the malts. There is also a bubble gum like smell.

The taste follows the nose, the first thing to hit is the piney hops, followed by the orange and grapefruit. There is then a smoky/tobacco taste followed by a strong malt profile then toasted malts at the end. The brew does leave a dry taste in the mouth after swallowing.
The mouthfeel is thick, bready and chewy but also smooth. I am guessing that the smoothness comes from the wheat.

Overall this a pleasant find and Lagunitas has become one of my favorite breweries with this and other offerings. I would have thought this was an IPA if B.A. had not told me the true style. The wheat adds a sweetness and smoothness that is not normally present in an IPA(I keep thinking of this as an IPA). I will be picking up more of this.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from bottle into beer mug.

A: Clear pale amber color with a thick frothy white head. Big globs of lacing all over.

S: Sweet citrus fruit and floral hops are very dominant, and smell delicious! Lots of grapefruit and mango. Also a good amount of caramel malt sweetness, almost like a graham cracker pie crust.

T: Pine and citrus fruit with a nice sweetness from the malt up front. Great balancing to showcase the hops without over doing it. It finishes on the bitter end with more grapefruit and little malt presence.

M: Light slick body, medium-high carbonation, and REALLY drinkable.

O: WOW. Lagunitas you've done it again. This is the best American wheat beer I've ever had. I would even rate this highly if it were an IPA, but it's a wheat beer! Really freaking good. A must try.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Poured from 12 oz bottle into my new Lost Abbey mug and looks pretty good off the bat. Deep and slightly-opaque golden hue with a fairly light but lacey head that settles smoothly down the sides of the glass. Carbonation seems a bit minimum compared to many wheat ales of similar caliber.

S: Sweet semi-fruity scent without being overbearing or too strong. A slight oat and berry feeling to the smell. A little bit of nutty aroma as well at the end.

T: BAM! Straight to the dome! What a blissful drinking experience this is right off the bat. So many complex flavors swirling around all at the same time with so much synergy between them. Every time I drink this beer I'm continually blown away by how much I love to think about the taste of it. It's piney, it's hoppy to the core, it hits your taste buds wiith a sense of sweetness and bitterness that is out of this world. You can absolutely taste the high ABV (7.5% alcohol) and often this is bad for beers but in this case it's one of the most glorious aspects of the entire brew. Love it, will always love it, and is one of the top 10 best tasting beers I've ever personally had.

M: Mouthfeel is great as well, though not a perfect 5. It's close though - very creamy but once again, not overbearingly so. Light enough to drink a 6-pack and be feeling on top of life.

Overall: This is definitely one of my favorite beers of all time. I've tried almost every release from Lagunitas that has come out in the last 7 years and this ranks up there with the best of them. I hope they never discontinue this one because I will keep buying it and promoting it as long as it's around. Thank you Lagunitas for such a great brew.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - Nice hazy orange with a hint of yellow in the hue. Great carbonation with a 2 finger white head.

S - Very tropical and dank. Lagunitas classic hop smell. Lemon, grapefruit, pineapple, mango all come through. Hint of pine, but not much.

T - Amazing flavors that extend from the nose. Very tropical and citrus forward with quite a high presence of weed flavor in this one! Superb.

M - Pretty light bodied, but closer to medium. Carbonation is nice, fairly dry finish.

O - Such a sessionable, complex, reasonably priced year round brew! Definitely one of my favorites from Lagunitas; my favorite brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Golden, almost amber color. A nice two finger head that quickly dissipates, but leaves beautiful lacing

S: Tons of tropical fruit like papaya, mango, pineapple. A nice carmel maltiness that balances the slight hop bitterness

T: Hops are there, but not in a bitter way. Very herbal-like quality to the hops. Nice and juicy, mostly papaya and mango flavors.

M: Medium bodied with tons of carbonation.. Relatively dry finish

D: Extremely high. Could easily drink 4 of these

O: Amazing beer. The tropical fruitiness gives this brew a nice juicy character. Good for hopheads, yet good for those who aren't. Check it out if you can

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

If anything, better in the bottle, as wheat beers sometimes are. Great beer, and a homerun for Lagunitas. Much, much hoppier than the average wheat, but the hops wotk here combined with the slightly sweet fruitiness of the wheat and yeasty esters. Pours golden with a relatively thin head and excellent clarity. Smells hoppy, tangy, and slightly sweet with notes of bubblegum and citrus. Highly herbal, with some of the same dill notes I've picked up in a few other West Coast hoppy beers recently (with Exponential Hoppiness being the king of that flavor). I wonder which hop or combination of hops are giving me that taste? Regardless, I really like the effect- particularly with the tanginess of the wheat and the fruity sweetness of the yeast. I love the taste of this. Tangy and herbal, piney and citrusy, and fruity all together. Extremely smooth, followed by a spritzy finish. Mu summer beer of choice for 2009.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bottle at 45F in a pint glass.

A - This beer is a very clear orangy-red hue that poured three finger head and seemed slightly over-carbonated.

S - Fantastic hoppy smell to it that is robust but inviting. Not unexpected considering the ingredients on the label. :) Fruity indeed.

T - The taste doesn't bring nearly the kick that the smell promised. Honestly, I think this is a good thing and makes the beer much more drinkable for non-hop-addicts. Still has plenty of bitterness while staying balanced. "Wheat Ale" does not come to mind drinking this beer - certainly in line with a more traditional IPA.

M - Very light and refreshing - not watery but very smooth and crisp.

D - at 7.3 the beer was still fairly light masking the alcohol behind plenty of hops and spice. I could certainly drink a couple of these on a hot afternoon.

Overall, I was pleased with the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' after fearing I had missed it this season. Another great beer from a great brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Crystal clear golden beer with a foamy 1 finger head which fades to a film. Nice lacing

S - Smell is strong citrus fruit, predominately grapefruit and a bit of pine or grassiness

T - Sweetness right upfront, hoppy, and similar to the nose, somehwat like drinking grapefruit juice.

M - Medium body, nice crisp drinker, moderate carbonation

O - An exceptional beer, perfect for the spring/summer months. Hoppiness is there but not overwhelming, the citrus fruit flavor makes this one easy to drink, and makes me keep wanting another sip

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

goddamn, goddamn, goddamn i love this beer. ive said it three times and ill say it again: i fucking love this beer and no less than wanton profanity will suffice. in as many ways as it's an ipa, it's something else entirely. thick, sticky and creamy on the tongue, tastes of copious, copious and sugary-sweet citric hops with a rich, sturdy undercurrent of everything from chocolate to grapefruit to an evergreen tree, and a euphoric alcohol warming sensation like mumma rubbin' vicks on yo' tummy. one of my favorites.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous beer. Hazy yellow-orange, great head, fine citrusy hoppiness without being overpowering, substantial but not too heavy, refreshing and complex. Nothing like it.

4.65/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Best beer I've had to date. Gave it a 4.75 because I'm only 23 years old and havent had the plethora of brews that say a 60 year old veteran would. So I'd figure I would leave some room for a competitor.

But seriously, this beer is the real deal. Has you feeling good after 2-3 due to the nice ABV. Great bite and perfect finish.

I purchase a 6 pack whenever the opportunities presents itself. But a rare treat in Raleigh, NC.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Tried this beer for the first time tonight after seeing it at the beer store a few times. I really enjoyed it. Nice orange color with some good head on it. Good hop aroma and an even better taste. This is a really good ale with a good bitter finish. I'll definitely be looking for this beer again.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company