A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

4.2

Ratings: 9,020 |  Reviews: 1,698
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured a bit hazy dark gold with 3 finger white head. Nice lacing. Nose was a bit piney w/ citrus. A little wheat but this is not a hefe. Feel is thicker and taste is very sweet with an IPA hop finish.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I run the meat department in a semi ghetto grocery store and I pushed them for a year to get this beer. It sells great now and I am way vindicated on my opinion that we could move this . The only grocery store beer I would even consider except SN Torpedo.
Sumpin is the best grocery store beer in this area. Beats sam an sierra and all the locals.

The beer looks, smells ,tastes, and feels high quality. Normally I spend too much on the best thing available but if I don't really Sumpin is just as satisfying. It's my session beer I guess. Good stuff, Lagunitas rules.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours honey gold color with a full head and decent lacing. Piney smell with hints of bread. Taste is slight citrus and pine. Very little hint of wheat. Very refreshing summer beer.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Don't be mislead by the desc, "American Pale Wheat Ale". This does not taste or look like a typical "rancid" wheat beer. It is dark and heavy and mysteriously smokey. 8/4/15 from a variety six pack from State Line Liquors.

Later 6/2017 on tap this is GRRRRReat! Better than in bottle. Almost addicting. Just raised rating from 4 to 4.5

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.69/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I usually am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I guess the rep on this one is that its wheat is basically hard to detect. That's to my advantage, because I find this to be delicious. Their Sucks used to be my favorite, but I believe its taste and quality lost something along the way of transforming from a seasonal to a ridiculous shelf-sitting 32 ouncer and then a new year-rounder. I wish bottled-on dates were prominent on their beers. But in any event, this one, I believe, is the perfect substitute. Indeed, this tastes like a super IPA. I think some reasonably have a basis to object on this basis to its label classification of a pale wheat. Still, regardless of what it's called, I think this is a great tasting brew

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a hazy, dark gold color with one-finger white head that slowly dissipated until a thin, unbroken layer of bubbles remained, there is significant lacing on the glass, lighter carbonation.

SMELL: caramel, pepper, pine and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel then pepper, bread and a piney hop blast that really lingered, the 7.5% ABV is present but well disguised.

PALATE: medium body and lighter carbonation.

OVERALL: for an American Pale Wheat Ale this tasted a lot like a traditional IPA, whatever they want to call it is fine by me, this is a good beer and I would recommend to anyone who enjoys the IPA style, if you are expecting a traditional wheat beer you may be disappointed. I would buy this again no problem.

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, I just liked this beer and that's about it. I got hints of northern pine forest and exotic orange peel from the most remote parts of the Amazon rain forest. No harshness, went down smooth. Lacing was like that of a June bride...I will definitely drink again.

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my go to beer. I always have at least six 12oz bottles at my house. If you don't like this, you don't like beer.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%