A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,615 | Ratings: 8,630
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Drank in late December out of a snifter.

A- nice amber color with thick head

S- very nice aromas similar to those of an IPA. Citrusy but with more malt aromas to keep it balanced.

T- mild mango and apricot flavors with a bitter/sweet after taste.

M- mild carbonation, syrupy mouthfeel.

O- every time I have this beer I appreciate it more. Although this is not an ipa it has a lot of the characteristics of a ipa. It has great drinkability and whenever I see in stock where I work I buy it.

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a crystal clear straw color. Decent white head, dissipates quickly.

Smell is barely there, a little sweet and malty. I'm thinking this is an older bottle.

Taste is malty sweet. A little grassy, not much there at all.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, just not sure if this is fresh or not. I'll have to pick some up again to be sure.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle into pint glass

Appearance- light gold, with orange hues, clear, 1 finger head hangs around a while

Aroma- Bright citrus, fruity, piney, earthy hops, some bready grains, very nice

Flavor- more pine here, juicy citrus hops, fairly bitter but very drinkable, slight malt backbone but theres a lot of hops going on

Mouthfeel- medium, slight astringency, fairy smooth

Overall- A damn tasty beer. Really closer to an IPA and for that reason its probable the best APWA I've had. Pretty solid all around and worth picking up.

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

I've had a lot of hype when it came to this beer which adds a unique spice to an IPA but one that I am not to find of.
First opening this beer, I was impressed by its smell and moved quickly to get a taste in. The beer first hit as a great bitter to a kind of spicy ting at the end. It provided me with interest at first taste but for some reason after the first taste I lacked the full first experience and was dismayed. Waited a little bit and tried it again and it provided a decent taste. I'm not a fan of this beer but I can see the uniqueness of spicy ting that some may appreciate.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a yellow-amber with a pale head that soon disappeared

Smell and taste of a light pale ale (citrus and spice with a bitter finish), nothing to indicate being a wheat. Good but not memorable; lacks real complexity to savor to make for an overall good rating, and I particularly need this to justify an ABV over 7.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

The Beers of California

#26

Freshness Date: None

A: Golden orange, hazy, with a cap of white foam which fades to generous blankets of bubbles clinging to the glass.

S: Strong, fresh pine, citrus and a bit of cut grass. Tangerine brightness with a background of flaky cracker malt.

T: Earthy and bright following the nose. Pine, herbs, and grass topped off with freshly squeezed tangerine bitter-sweetness. Grainy, soft cracker, biscuit-like maltiness. A touch of pineapple and mango ending with more warming, pleasant bitterness.

M: Medium bodies with ample carbonation and good linger.

O: Paired with an awesome burger from Hole in the Wall on the westside of LA, which I would say leaves Umami and even Father's Office in the dust. Great hops on a wheat base, making a great, bright brew which is both familiar and original going beyond the typical west coast IPA recipe.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Amber, finger head that gradually recedes. Looks great.

S: Hoppy in the best way possible. Pine, grapefruit, slight orange. Smells delicious.

T: Citrusy, yet mildly fruity. Bitterness is well balanced. Malt on the back end, even some peach/mango. Some pine throughout. Alcohol is prevalent when it warms.

M:
I'd say medium. Alcohol taste creeps up on you as you drink. Still very pleasant though.

O:
Simply put, this beer is dank. From the complex smell and taste to the heavy mouthfeel, this beer is awesome. I've tried multiple Lagunitas brews, and I'd put this up there with the Lagunitas Sucks and the IPA. Very delicious and totally worth the price I paid for a sixer. Great ale.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

The name here affords one some spectacular simple pleasures in life--like asking an attractive female bartender for a little sumpin sumpin.

I'm gonna be perfectly honest- having this on tap I didn't even realize it was a wheat. That was quite surprising to read on here. Just an incredibly hopped up wheat beer here. The pour is golden/orange in color with a nice white head that settles well. The nose on this brew from Lagunitas is enjoyable--lots of citrus and grapefruit right up front. I don't get any wheat here or wheat in the mouth either--so it's almost awkward. But again, the taste is heavily hopped flavors: grapefruit, citrus, lemon rind maybe if i really stretch it. The mouth feel is medium and well carbonated. This beer lacks balance and isn't what I would describe as smooth but there's still something about it that keeps me sessioning this beer all night.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

"Let's put some ice on it and keep ourselves elevated for awhile." Nice!

Pours a glowing, gold with a creamy-looking, two-finger head of egg-white yellow foam. The slightest bit of haze, but mostly clear and inviting. Head sticks around briefly, then settles to a tight cap. Some good stickage.

Aroma is of piney, citrusy hops. Very fresh aroma with no hint of alcohol. Some cookie-like malts in the background are barely perceptible. No yeast component typical in a wheat.

Taste is like no other American pale wheat, and not sure it even qualifies. This is all about burb-inducing piney hops. The wheat may serve to lighten the body, and there is a hint of breadiness mid-palate, but a firm, fruity sweetness carries the hops aloft, and all else drops away. The hops linger nicely, with only modest bitterness, and the final impression is of a fruity white wine with some grainy tannins and palate-drying resins.

Mouthfeel is sticky, but soft, yielding to a drying alcohol and hop finish. Medium-light body doesn't seem watery or thin. Carbonation is medium, but is not intrusive. Dryness wears hard after a spell.

A bit puckering for easy-drinking, it still hides its alcohol well and is thankfully not overly sweet or bubble-gummy.

Another interesting concoction from Lagunitas. A pale wheat for hopheads, what else? Recommended.

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beer is a gauzy golden amber with a light head. Aroma is of citrus hops, tangerine, bread. Taste start off with a modest malt taste and ends with a lingering hop hit of grapefruit rind. Very crisp and refreshing. Mouthfeel is very good. It is nicely carbonated and easy to drink. Overall a very well balanced, citrus-ey pale ale. Drinkable and delicious.

3.44/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into pint glass from bottle. Straw colore with fairly solid head that dissipates quickly, leaving good lacing.

Great nose with nice fruity hop aroma. Tastes a bit sweet for the style, which affects the drinkability.

Another great offering from Lagunitas. As stated, abit too sweet but a nice hoppy wheat ale.

3.01/5  rDev -28.2%

Had this in bottle from Monks Pub Chicago.

Appearance is pale amber/yellow. Small white head. Smell was mostly hoppy with some wheatiness to it. Taste was mostly similar to the smell. Citrusy hop flavor dominated.

Overall I didn't care for this beer. It wasn't anything like the other Pale Wheats I've had before. This one was too hoppy for me. I was expecting a more balanced flavor of hops and wheat but I couldn't taste the wheatiness that I loved in other Pale Wheats. Just the hops and bitterness.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Other then the IBU and ABV I had no idea what to expect from this beer when I brought it home

A - It poured a clear light copper color with a 2 finger thick white head. Plenty of carbonation visible. Good Lacing.

S - Very sweet pine and grapefruit smell. It's a cross between a good IPA aroma and a Belgian Pale ale.

T - Tastes just like it smells at first. It attacks with a full citrus hop taste finishes with a very solid malt backbone. Touches of a sugary wheat malt come through on further sips and as it warms up a bit.

M - It's a fairly heavy beer, but very smooth and easy to drink. Just enough carbonation to keep the mouth from being overwhelmed.

O - Awesome beer. I don't know if I would be insulting anybody by saying this but its like a light DIPA. I'm going to keep this in the fridge as long as its around.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured a light amber color from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Small amount of white head with mild retention of the lacing. Aroma is of flowers, hops, and citrus. The aroma carries over into the taste. Mild mouthfeel. This is a super tasty, refreshing brew. Love it.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass.

What a great wheat ale! The most hop delivery I've experienced without any unpleasant bitterness or aftertaste.
Had this early in my "career" and was a bit overwhelmed by the grapefruitiness, but revisiting it was the right choice.

Pours clear and brassy with a one-finger creamy head. That pillow of creamy foam sticks around til the end and coats the glass like crazy.
A soothing but powerful big grapefruit aroma with sweet pineapple.
Taste is in-your-face huge with a sweet mix of floral citrus and grapefruit. Some bitterness at swallow sticks around, but is mellow against the sweet hop zing and nice malty, wheat grain finish.
A smooth feeling drink that's moderately carbonated.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

A: A haze of yellow-orange. Soft fluffy three-finger head.

S: A heady, spicy pine hop burst with hints of sweetness.

T: Piney hop flavor that gives way to a fruit sweetness. Hints of vanilla adds a layer of pleasant complexity.

M: Some carbonation bite on the front of the tongue. Finishes creamy and satisfying.

D: A nice balance of crisp hoppiness with subtle sweetness. Can't think of many beers I'd enjoy more on a warm summer day.

Served: in an imperial pint glass.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Review Disclaimer: For the style, I'm not impressed. As a very hoppy ale, I like it a lot.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellowish-orangish with lots of tiny bubbles and about a half-finger of bright white head. The head dissipates quickly, leaving a light head on top and a bit of sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Hops, hops, hops. I don't think this a wheat pale ale because I don't smell any wheat. I smell lots of yummy hops. A little bit of citrus. And not a whole lot else.

Taste: Hop bitterness. Sweet fruit esters. Lemon and orange tinges. Some hints of juniper and pine needles.

Mouthfeel: Very sticky sweet on the finish. I was expecting a lighter wheat pale ale, but it's sticky as any IPAs/DIPAs.

Drinkability: At first, the stickiness and the hops' bite made me think that this wasn't going to be overly drinkable, but as I slowly finish the glass, I'm wishing I had gotten more than a single bottle when I was in Texas. /tear

Poured from bottle into pint glass and enjoyed with a fantastic Trader Jo's pizza topped with sauteed spinach, olives, onions, and garlic.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazed, orange-gold body sporting a full inch of off-white foam. Light lacing on the descent.

Smell: Smells of wheat, flowery orange, citrus, and a small hint of pine.

Taste:A very light mix of wheat and light grain. Small hints of citrus and pine. Exactly what it needs to be for a stronger pale wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Such a great beer for it's price, If I want a good beer for a good price I generally go to Lagunitas, or sometimes Abita.

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a nice clear honey gold with a thin but lasting head. Nice lacing. Smells fresh, hoppy, and of pink grapefruit. Tastes of grapefruit, tangerine, and pine, and a trace of wheat. My wife picked up wheat on the nose as well. Every so often I taste a little of the alcohol but it is we'll masked overall. A very good wheat ale. Thanks again for the taste Bob!

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Along with celebration, one of my two gateway craft beers. Does not taste the way I recall. A hint of hop stoopid in the nose but not the taste. Went down real smooth.. Just not a ton of taste. 4/5.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm admitedly a beer novice, so take this for what it's worth: this might be the best beer I've ever tried. The carton states how we should cease classifying everything and simply let it be what it is. Amen, especially as it pertains to this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional! Incredible balance of semi-sweet malts, piney resins and citrus hops. If I were on my death bed and asked what beer would I like before I meet my maker...I only hope I can still say Little Sumpin' Sumpin'!

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked this up at the little store. I forgot it was sitting outside the cooler, so it is a bit warm.

Pours a slight hazy golden/yellow. Nice white fluffy frothy head. Might be cause it's a tad too warm. Smells of nice citrus hops. Kinda has the same hop character as Hop Stoopid meaning has that very crisp apple flavored hop taste. I do like it. Very nice refreshing tasting beer.

-Bye

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. Pours a golden/yellow color with a half inch white head. The head fades quickly leaving minimal lacing on the glass.

Excellent smell. Lots of sweet citrusy hops...pineapple, orange, grapefruit. Hints of wheat.

Taste follows the nose with citrus notes. This reminds me more of an IPA than a pale wheat ale, but it is excellent. Sweet citrus notes followed by wheat. Mouth feel is smooth, but a little flat. Carbonation is minimal on the tongue.

Despite being 7.5% ABV, this is a very drinkable beer. It is light and refreshing and it would be easy to drink multiple bottles.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a nice, clear golden color. A one finger white head has pretty good retention. A little bit of lacing here with lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Very strong. Lots of floral hops and pine.

T - Very complex. There are some floral hops upfront followed by notes of pine. The thing that gets me is the after taste. It's like biting into a grapefruit. It also has notes of orange, pine and maybe a bit of pineapple. No wheat at all.

T - Light mouthfeel. Very good balance. Good carbonation.

D - Considering the higher ABV for a wheat ale this goes down real easy.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company