A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,640 | Ratings: 8,738
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Other then the IBU and ABV I had no idea what to expect from this beer when I brought it home

A - It poured a clear light copper color with a 2 finger thick white head. Plenty of carbonation visible. Good Lacing.

S - Very sweet pine and grapefruit smell. It's a cross between a good IPA aroma and a Belgian Pale ale.

T - Tastes just like it smells at first. It attacks with a full citrus hop taste finishes with a very solid malt backbone. Touches of a sugary wheat malt come through on further sips and as it warms up a bit.

M - It's a fairly heavy beer, but very smooth and easy to drink. Just enough carbonation to keep the mouth from being overwhelmed.

O - Awesome beer. I don't know if I would be insulting anybody by saying this but its like a light DIPA. I'm going to keep this in the fridge as long as its around.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Review Disclaimer: For the style, I'm not impressed. As a very hoppy ale, I like it a lot.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellowish-orangish with lots of tiny bubbles and about a half-finger of bright white head. The head dissipates quickly, leaving a light head on top and a bit of sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Hops, hops, hops. I don't think this a wheat pale ale because I don't smell any wheat. I smell lots of yummy hops. A little bit of citrus. And not a whole lot else.

Taste: Hop bitterness. Sweet fruit esters. Lemon and orange tinges. Some hints of juniper and pine needles.

Mouthfeel: Very sticky sweet on the finish. I was expecting a lighter wheat pale ale, but it's sticky as any IPAs/DIPAs.

Drinkability: At first, the stickiness and the hops' bite made me think that this wasn't going to be overly drinkable, but as I slowly finish the glass, I'm wishing I had gotten more than a single bottle when I was in Texas. /tear

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured a light amber color from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Small amount of white head with mild retention of the lacing. Aroma is of flowers, hops, and citrus. The aroma carries over into the taste. Mild mouthfeel. This is a super tasty, refreshing brew. Love it.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

A: A haze of yellow-orange. Soft fluffy three-finger head.

S: A heady, spicy pine hop burst with hints of sweetness.

T: Piney hop flavor that gives way to a fruit sweetness. Hints of vanilla adds a layer of pleasant complexity.

M: Some carbonation bite on the front of the tongue. Finishes creamy and satisfying.

D: A nice balance of crisp hoppiness with subtle sweetness. Can't think of many beers I'd enjoy more on a warm summer day.

Served: in an imperial pint glass.

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a nice clear honey gold with a thin but lasting head. Nice lacing. Smells fresh, hoppy, and of pink grapefruit. Tastes of grapefruit, tangerine, and pine, and a trace of wheat. My wife picked up wheat on the nose as well. Every so often I taste a little of the alcohol but it is we'll masked overall. A very good wheat ale. Thanks again for the taste Bob!

Poured from bottle into pint glass and enjoyed with a fantastic Trader Jo's pizza topped with sauteed spinach, olives, onions, and garlic.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazed, orange-gold body sporting a full inch of off-white foam. Light lacing on the descent.

Smell: Smells of wheat, flowery orange, citrus, and a small hint of pine.

Taste:A very light mix of wheat and light grain. Small hints of citrus and pine. Exactly what it needs to be for a stronger pale wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Such a great beer for it's price, If I want a good beer for a good price I generally go to Lagunitas, or sometimes Abita.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Along with celebration, one of my two gateway craft beers. Does not taste the way I recall. A hint of hop stoopid in the nose but not the taste. Went down real smooth.. Just not a ton of taste. 4/5.

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional! Incredible balance of semi-sweet malts, piney resins and citrus hops. If I were on my death bed and asked what beer would I like before I meet my maker...I only hope I can still say Little Sumpin' Sumpin'!

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm admitedly a beer novice, so take this for what it's worth: this might be the best beer I've ever tried. The carton states how we should cease classifying everything and simply let it be what it is. Amen, especially as it pertains to this beer.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L -- A clear, moderately effervescent pale orange with a robust bone white head. Moderate lacing
S -- Incredibly robust yet clean floral and citric hop aromas dominate, with notes of apricot, raspberries, and wheat
T -- Very similar to Sculpin, but without the overwhelming bitterness. They took a classic taste and perfected it
F -- Refreshing and inebriating!
O -- One of my favorite go-tos. Tasty at all times of year, and only 11 bucks for a six pack

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked this up at the little store. I forgot it was sitting outside the cooler, so it is a bit warm.

Pours a slight hazy golden/yellow. Nice white fluffy frothy head. Might be cause it's a tad too warm. Smells of nice citrus hops. Kinda has the same hop character as Hop Stoopid meaning has that very crisp apple flavored hop taste. I do like it. Very nice refreshing tasting beer.

-Bye

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Pours a golden yellow/straw with a half finger white head and a lot of lacing. Smells of Apple cantaloupe, and honeydew. A really a unique smell I think. Taste Is not as good as the smell here but still pretty darn good, a lot more bitter than expected can really taste the hops, and I think the over riding taste is partially fermented apples. Mouthfeel is typical of an IPA, can't even taste the 7.5 percent truly dangerous on a mid Summer's night ha.
Overall a great offering that's offered even at local grocery stores with minimal selection. Would reccomend 4/5

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. Pours a golden/yellow color with a half inch white head. The head fades quickly leaving minimal lacing on the glass.

Excellent smell. Lots of sweet citrusy hops...pineapple, orange, grapefruit. Hints of wheat.

Taste follows the nose with citrus notes. This reminds me more of an IPA than a pale wheat ale, but it is excellent. Sweet citrus notes followed by wheat. Mouth feel is smooth, but a little flat. Carbonation is minimal on the tongue.

Despite being 7.5% ABV, this is a very drinkable beer. It is light and refreshing and it would be easy to drink multiple bottles.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a nice, clear golden color. A one finger white head has pretty good retention. A little bit of lacing here with lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Very strong. Lots of floral hops and pine.

T - Very complex. There are some floral hops upfront followed by notes of pine. The thing that gets me is the after taste. It's like biting into a grapefruit. It also has notes of orange, pine and maybe a bit of pineapple. No wheat at all.

T - Light mouthfeel. Very good balance. Good carbonation.

D - Considering the higher ABV for a wheat ale this goes down real easy.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A- pours a hazy orange hue w/ very thin white head.

S-Interesting smell. Fruity, almost smells like peaches or candy.

T- Great stuff. Light w/ a great hop presence. Has a bit of a candy taste. Deadly. Could session by the 7.3 ABV could be a bit of a problem.

M- Smooth mouthfeel. Wheat gives this a velvety touch.

D- Overall,a great beer. This is my second session w/ this one. A very complex wheat ale that will give most a run for the money.

Go Phils

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar

A- A light copper/dark amber color. not much head retention, but decent amount of lacing. White frothy foam.

S- Very grassy and piney, with subtle amounts of grapefruit and tangerine.

T- The initial taste is of sweet tangerine and grapefruit. There's some honey in there as well and this all ends with some bitterly pine notes.

M- Very light, but very carbonated and sticky. Still easy to go down as it has a light body.

O- Can't believe this is my first time trying this beer. Sweet and sticky with just a decent amount of hops. This is so drinkable, I think I'll be having more of this very soon in the future.

3.89/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy golden. Frothy. Slight hop sweetness. Sticky, sweet floral hops. Good mix of malt to hops. A little sweet for me. I don't see this as top notch in category. Not enough dryness to knock off the feel. Good beer

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance pours a sparkling orangish yellow. White fine bubbles in a very clingy head.

Aroma- pineapple passionfruit citrus boquet with an underlying soapyness. A slight yeast quality with some hints of jolly rancher green apple fruit candies.

Taste- Great balance of lightly toasted malt and fruity citrusy hops. The whole thing finishes a bit sweet but it is very pleasant. It follows the nose quite a bit.

Mouthfeel- crisp and refreshing for a lighter bodied beer. The hops stick to the mouth lik ethe lacing in the glass. Alcohol?! what alcohol?! no burn or warmth or boozy taste.

Overall- a great daily drinker despite the higher ABV. I would have another with a side of Thai food or Jalepeno Poppers.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

i go back and forth on this brew. the "limited release" gets me going on a bit. (if it really's "limited").

soemetimes it tastes hoppier than others. a little inconsistent (in bottles at least).

but when it's good, it's GOOD.

nb--i had a pint or two at melt bar and grilled in cleveland.

^a whole different animal. EXCELLENT on draft. freakin' outta this world.

bottom line--in bottles i can give this an A- or B+. on draft fresh--a solid A.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle (bottled on 8/2/10) into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden/copper color with a nice sticky creamy white head. Meduim carbonation level.

Aroma: The hops really shine through with mango and grapefruit. A nice touch of sweet malts in there too.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tons of tropical fruit flavor here. Mango, grapefruit, orange, and peaches. Finishes with some light caramel malt backbone. Mouthfeel is very good with a light creaminess and mild hop bitterness. I really like the balance.

Drinkability: Wow! I really like this one. A very nicely done summer brew. Lots of citrus hop aroma/flavor, mild hop bitterness, and an easy drinking brew for such a high ABV. I will have to be sure to pick this up every summer.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a hazed copper color with fast rising head, retention and lace is prominent. very attractive beer.

Hop profile of DIPA!!! Super pungent citrus blasts with Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange, and dank pine all blasting through my nose. having a hard time picking out the wheat and malts but they are in their somewhere.

BAM, Hops straight down the throat. not overly aggressive but bitter enough to deter the casual light beer drinker. Hops taste in essence with the scent but a nice caramel/wheat malt backbone balance it all out very well. Outstanding

Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel to it, moderate prickly carbonation. Very refreshing finish with a tasty afterthought of fruity citrus hops.

7.5% abv 64.20 I.B.U this Summer wheat ale is the best ive had in a long time. Easy drinker for the hop head in us all.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

OOOoo hello citrus hops! I picked up a few bottles for a mix pack of new brews last week and, not gonna lie, returned the next day and bought a fully qualified sixer of this gem.

I got a face full of grapefruit and piney hops the second I poured this pale golden, ever so slightly hazed beer into my pint. Nice. The taste surely did not disappoint either! The body itself was light and crisp, perfect for a summer day, and the hops are not lacking at all in this one. The carbonation was spot on as well IMO. I normally do not go for american wheats, however given all the hoppy goodness Lagunitas pumps out I gave it a shot. I recommend this beer!

The hardest part right now is finding it at other beer stores in my area. When I ask for Lagunitas "Sumpin Sumpin" i get the "ok yeah if you don't know the name how can I find it" response, no matter how hard I try to preface my request with a warning.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: clear, light amber, dense, creamy head. Very nice.

S: very much the west coast hop smell; citrus, light, green smelling grassy notes, gentle sweetness.

T: bright and crisp. Hoppy and refreshing. Malt is pretty toned down but what I expect from a west coast IPA.

M: clean and light. Wheat lends crispness. No sticky cloying feeling.

Very nice. Not a world beater but I like this a lot and it's just a quality beer. Can't go wrong here.

To good health and good beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

crisp and golden, no cloudiness

funky wheat/ipa hybrid; cherries and salted almond brittle in the nose

taste is deceptive. feels like an ipa, has the bite of an ipa, but I can definitely see how it stems from a pale wheat/hefe tradition. to be honest, this is hard to label, it's unique and delicious.

the mouthfeel is superb: mellow and clean.

i like this beer. don't know how many i could drink in a row or if i'd have it often, but it's a good idea to throw a bottle of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' into your rotation.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I drank this straight from the bottle, so didn't have a chance to see the color. The smell was just fine. Even though I am not particularly fond of really hoppy beer, I really like this one. There are many striking tastes in this one. It's kind of zingy. I really like it and will buy it again.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company