A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,649 | Ratings: 8,774
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

crisp and golden, no cloudiness

funky wheat/ipa hybrid; cherries and salted almond brittle in the nose

taste is deceptive. feels like an ipa, has the bite of an ipa, but I can definitely see how it stems from a pale wheat/hefe tradition. to be honest, this is hard to label, it's unique and delicious.

the mouthfeel is superb: mellow and clean.

i like this beer. don't know how many i could drink in a row or if i'd have it often, but it's a good idea to throw a bottle of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' into your rotation.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I drank this straight from the bottle, so didn't have a chance to see the color. The smell was just fine. Even though I am not particularly fond of really hoppy beer, I really like this one. There are many striking tastes in this one. It's kind of zingy. I really like it and will buy it again.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Normal pale ale look. I guess slightly hazy yellow is the best way to describe it. White head. Awesome lace, my little sumpin'-sumpin' has her lingerie on. Gonna be a good night!

S: Best smelling brew I've sniffed out in a while. Lots of C-hops and no malt. Man she's got the perfume on as well, this looks promising.

T: Think wheat&hops. Then add more hops for good measure and you've got a little sumpin'. This beer is awesome!(she's a home-wrecker)

M: Crisp. The flavors are perfect, and the finish is clean. (she shaved)

D: Gonna keep comin' back to this little lady, everyone knows I was no fan of Lagunitas in the past, however; they're wining me over as of late.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

The Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale is in the same style category as Sam Adams Summer Ale, but o what a difference. This is stronger stuff in every way. Beneath the hop sting there is a fine aroma, and sweetness with a little bit of citrus in it (again, from those hops). One or two of these is plenty.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this on tap today at Birreria Paradiso in Georgetown. Their beer list described it as an IPA brewed with wheat, and I have to say that my impressions were much more in line with this style categorization than with American Pale Wheat Ale. If this is an APWA, it's definitely the hoppiest one (by FAR) that I've ever had.

Pours very clear copper with a moderately sticky eggshell white head.

Smells very piney and citrusy, especially grapefruity.

I can detect almost all of the usual suspects of hops flavors: grapefruit, pine, earthy tones/marijuana. The first impression as it hits the tongue is very, very sweet tropical fruit like pineapple and mango, then it becomes more bitter. Pine is strongest while it's cold.

The body is surprisingly thick for the style (whichever it is) and the carbonation tickles the mouth in the most pleasant of ways. Very drinkable for me. Yum yum in my tum tum. I am always amazed at Lagunitas's ability to deliver great beers (especially IPA-ish ones, IMO) at a reasonable cost. Bravo!

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on tap at Poor Phil's in Oak Park, IL. Golden color with foamy head with good lacing. The smell is floral hop, with citrus notes. You think from the smell that it is going to be a hop bitter blast (which I don't really care for), but I was surprised that it was very smooth and well balanced with sweet malt husk and yeast flavors. Very well crafted recipe. Extremely drinkable. Definitely not a hop-tea that totally covers up the rest of the ingredients. This one exemplifies what an American IPA can be.

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

served from a 12 oz. bottle

pours with a fairly large off white head that stays fairly intact throughout the session

features a full bodied copper orange color

aroma has strong citrus/grapefruit notes with no detectable malt presence

taste is also characterized by a very strong hops character also continuing the citrus/grapefruit character

mouthfeel is very nice with a satisfying roundness and a very nice level of carbonation

overall, this is a satisfying brew, that would probably be well suited to drinking in warm weather. I would say though that it is far more characteristic of an IPA than a wheat beer. I would have to say it's really not a good representation of anything that would call itself a wheat beer.

I do have some reservations, due to the fact this is supposedly an american wheat ale.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Good deceived me at first smells like a single IPA but once you take your first sip you realize it's a pale ale. Not a huge fan of pale ales but this was good. Would I purchase this beer again most likely not, but that's mainly because I do not care for the pale ale style. Would I recommend this beer to someone who does enjoy pale ales.... Hell yes!

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first thing that I noticed about this beer was the over the top hop aroma. As soon as you pop the top, it hits you...that wonderful smell...

A - Pours into my Sam Adams special glass a crisp, yellow color. A nice white head, about 1/3 of an inch tops the beer.

S - HOPS! The smell is amazing! Piney and citrusy.

T - A bit sweet, but a real hop forward wheat IPA. I really like the taste of this as it's very close to several wheat IPAs that I have homebrewed.

M - Perfect carbonation...many CO2 bubbles rise to the top of the beer and this makes it sit very well in the mouth.

D - This is a great summer time IPA. Super smooth and nice bitterness. This is a favorite of mine and I am glad to hear that it's now been upgraded to a year round release. I will definitely be purchasing many sixers of this wonderful ale going forward!

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Amber colored, thin head with light lacing.

Aroma of sweet malt and smooth piney hops.

Very piney and floral, sweet clean malt and alcohol.

Medium carbonation. Finishes semi-sweet with alcoholic kick.

Overall an enjoyable beer. Would buy again if I had the chance.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Orangy Gold with a thick, luscious white head. Makes me drool in anticipation of the first sip.

S - Wonderful citrus smells attack my nostrils: Orange, Lemon, grapefruit, etc.

T - Orange, Lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, etc. Grassy hops add some twang. Full of great flavors to tantalize your taste buds!

M - Fully moderate body with ticklish carbonation. An easy drinker.

O - This is one of my all time favorite beers. It has so much good stuff going on! A favorite for spring and summer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - aww yeah

Appearance - Gold and sparkling. Head is brilliant white

Smell - Cascade like hops smell, citrusy and grapefruit

Taste - Big bitter than a nice fruity sweet that matches the smell well. I enjoyed the mellow aftertaste of coppery bitter.

Mouthfeel - Long lasting taste and medium carbonation.

Overall - This beer is so close to Dog Fish Head 90 min rating it is crazy. I would probably drink this one more due to the fruity scents but DFH had slight better carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Beer had a slight haze and tight lacing.

Strong citrus aroma but a big pine flavor. I agree with the previous review that this is not like other wheat beers. The wheat gives this a very earthy and bready flavor along with the obvious pale ale attributes. Very nice combination. Very drinkable, I wish I had bought more than 2 bottles.

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: light yellow, and fairly clear with a puffy white head.
Smell: The smell is very good, I get a lot of floral and fruity notes, but can't discern specifics.
Taste: Again there are strong floral a fruity notes, with a slightly sweet undertone. This is all balanced with a strong, but note over powering bitterness. Overall I think the balance is just right.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and slightly thick, presumably from the wheat. There is a good amount carbonation to cut through the hops and keeps the finish from being overly bitter.

Overall: This is my favorite hoppy beer, and one of my favorite beers overall. I think the balance between the slightly sweet malt background, fruity hop flavors, and strong but not overpower bitterness is perfect. I could drink this all day.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 01.11.14.

A: Very see through yellow. 3 finger head that retains well. Awesome looking.

S: Lots of grapefruit. Very citrusy.

T: Grapefruit, wheat. Some malt.

M: Creamy smooth thanks in part to the wheat.

O: This blew my socks off. It's definitely a West Coast, hop forward APA/APWA/IPA, or however people want to categorize it. It has a very nice grapefruit sweetness that comes on first, followed with a slightly bitter wash that then fades into citrusy sweetness again. The alcohol is also completely hidden and it does go down easily. This is an outstanding beer and one of my favorites.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Gorgeous deep orange with golden rod tones.

S: DAMN SON!!! The most aromatic Wheat Ale of all time!
Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, pineapple, fresh jungle honey, and rich flourishing malt. It stunk like some good Icky Icky. The most aromatic hop-ale that is not rated an IPA.

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (Big time Red Grapefruit, tangerine, lemon), and a nice crisp wheat finish. I was surprised that its not rated as an IPA. Very Close but not as tangerine and aromatic as their Lucky 13 beer which is also amazingly good.

MF: Medium body, silky, crisp, and sweet west coast hop sticky icky. It was a really delicious spring time beer. Good medium carbonation.

Overall: This can be considered one of my favorite drinkable Lagunitas beers. Lucky 13 is also a great summer beer. But this one of my favorite looking and smelling beers of all time.. Truly Exceptional.

Serving type: On Tap
Serving type: Bought bottles as well. Its better on Tap, more aromatic as well.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First off, I told my wife I want a little sumpin' sumpin' tonight and she said OK so I waited until the next day to try the beer, Love the Name!

A - No straw colored wheat beer here, great light orange color, small head and some lacing

S- you can smell the citrus here, nice! Not over-powering hops.

T- pine, citrus, lingers more on the tongue then I thought it would, since it is a wheat ale, it is 100 degrees outside, it fits the perfect summer time brew.

M - I love how this beer feels, it stays with me way longer than a wheat should and just fills my mouth with flavor, I can see why I snagged the last 6 pack my local store.

O - I am OK with a Wheat but usually just because I am out and that's about the best choice on the menu. Also, I love that this is a wheat at ABV 7.50%, I think that is what adds to the mouthfeel.

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Golden ale with a nice head of foam. Smells like a citrus pine forest. Crisp hoppy taste. Tastes like it should be served cold.

I'd like to do a head to head with a regular Lagunitas IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

[Poured into an Lagunitas Mason jar]

I: I've had many beers from Lagunitas, and they were always good to me, but not great. Well, today I review their most praised beer, the Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. The interesting thing behind this beer is that the beer community can't form a consensus on whether it's a wheat beer or an ipa. Well, lets get to it.

B:[7.5% ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled January 2011] I've always admired Lagunitas beer labels and would say they are my 3rd favorite(Stone 1st followed by The Great Divide). Love the texture of the label, feels like paper, but doesn't have that cheap laminated feel. General information is all there, but would of enjoyed a story/summary behind the beer like stones.

A: Orange/amber transparent body with a big carbonated/scattered head(moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: For a supposed wheat beer, this sure as hell smells like an ipa. Upfront is pineapple and grapefruit with a good hop presence.

T: Citrus grapefruit is dominated with dry sweet malt, but doesn't linger after finish with some smokey hops throughout(brings out the alcohol).

M: Smooth/slightly dry finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and moderate alcohol presence(complemented by the hops).

O: I am a believer!!! Interesting/tasty beer in every word, and the best Lagunitas brew I've had so far. I can't say I have any gripes with this beer. The dominate grapefruit you see in many ipas is upfront, but doesn't linger after finish. I guess the only sense of a wheat beer is the finish, but it's settle. Besides that, I would classify this as an ipa. Good beer worthy of my shelf, go pick up a six pack.

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Purchased at my local Party Liquors (Tampa, FL). $10.49 for the 6-pack.
A- Pour is surprisingly light and yellowy. Looks like a light beer, not a bad thing, just surprising. Creamy white head pleasantly pillows the top.
A- It's got a fruity smell I can't quite placeā€¦ ah, I got it: pomelo! It's a fruit that tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit. Also has notes of barely.
F- Fruity upfront, bitter, piney, malty finish. Not as light and crisp as I would've liked.
M- Below average carbonation (for an APA).
O- Tastes like a under-carbonated IPA. Definitely a great (albeit, strong) APA for the ABV, but I'm definitely in favor of the more traditional IPAs (like Bell's Two Hearted) in terms of flavor and mouthfeel. This beer honestly gave me a half-chub on the smell, making me expect a hoppy/citrusy IPA, but then it fell flat when it came to taste. I can definitely see how some people like this beer, but it just ain't for me.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured in a pint glass. Golden "Clear"(Lil haze) considering it is a 7.5er. Wonderful smell of some type of sweet preserves I usually have a some fancy restaurant. The smooth sweet wheat taste is overpowered with hops. Delicious...The "wheat ipa" is proving some worth. This is one to try if you like hops!! IPA fans will like this as an alternative to their usual brew. Wheat beer fans, drink your smooth wheats and stand clear too much hops for u! Me, a good drinkin' brew!

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a pale golden / straw color w/ three fingers of dense head. Excellent retention and lacing.

The aroma is fantastic. Tropical, citric, and fresh herbal hops dominate the aroma w/ a slight malt sweetness towards the end.

The taste mirrors the aroma, with the herbal hops (basil, i kid you not) taking a bit more center stage. Flavors of sweet pineapple and grapefruit appear as well. The wheat malt comes in towards the end and offers some sweetness and balance. It tastes great, but the wheat is too subtle IMO

Medium bodied, very, very smooth and refreshing even. Deceivingly drinkable despite the 7.5 abv.

Overall: Although i was looking for a bit more wheat, this beer is pretty amazing. This is the best beer I've had in quite a while. Way to go Lagunitas.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured 12oz bottle into 16oz glass a Mild golden color, 1 -2 finger head, mildly hazy.

Smells of Hops, Pine & Citrus with some sweetness are first thing to hit your nose. Malts and other ingredients balance well.

Tastes of citrus and sweet notes with Hops then the pine and citrus tastes abound, the malts keep the hop bite down nicely with a mild alcohol presense.

Medium hop bite, some citrus, the hops leaves a mildy bitter aftertaste of citrus and pine. finishes dry with some lingering hop aftertaste.

Good Drinkability for those who like the hops. nice amount of carbonation. Overall a good beer to take time to have one or two mixed in when your thirsty for a few. Not one for those who prefer a mild domestic brew. This is my 1st updated review of this brew. I put it as my second favorite behind Pliney.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours deep golden almost amber with eggshell white colored head that builds up to an almost two finger width that leaves thin lacing stuck to the glass once it resides. The smell is a bit grassy and piney, but sweet, with a detectable sweet malt backbone. Tastes of bold bitter and hops with a definite bready wheat flavor and detectable spiciness perhaps from an excellent mixture of hops, malt, yeast, and wheat of course. medium bodied with a carbonation that is not overbearing nor underwhelming, just right. I was craving hops but had no IPAs on hand and this juicy and delicious beer did just fine. I'm glad I have a few more of this excellent pale wheat ale.

Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally ($9.99/6). Bottle marked Day 325, 11/21/11, 43 days ago. Poured into tulip glass.

A: Slightly cloudy gold/amber. 1"+ fluffy, ivory head that leaves scattered lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Lemon and grapefruit, warm bread; floral.

T: Lemon & banana, slightly tangy/sour; caramel; growing piney bitterness; scant alcohol.

M: Crisp, with medium body and medium/high carbonation; creamy, but a bit too prickly to be smooth; slightly dry finish; low warming.

O: Fresh and delicious -- fruit/hop forward; one of my favorites from Lagunitas.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company