A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,625 | Ratings: 8,660
4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Beer had a slight haze and tight lacing.

Strong citrus aroma but a big pine flavor. I agree with the previous review that this is not like other wheat beers. The wheat gives this a very earthy and bready flavor along with the obvious pale ale attributes. Very nice combination. Very drinkable, I wish I had bought more than 2 bottles.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 01.11.14.

A: Very see through yellow. 3 finger head that retains well. Awesome looking.

S: Lots of grapefruit. Very citrusy.

T: Grapefruit, wheat. Some malt.

M: Creamy smooth thanks in part to the wheat.

O: This blew my socks off. It's definitely a West Coast, hop forward APA/APWA/IPA, or however people want to categorize it. It has a very nice grapefruit sweetness that comes on first, followed with a slightly bitter wash that then fades into citrusy sweetness again. The alcohol is also completely hidden and it does go down easily. This is an outstanding beer and one of my favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First off, I told my wife I want a little sumpin' sumpin' tonight and she said OK so I waited until the next day to try the beer, Love the Name!

A - No straw colored wheat beer here, great light orange color, small head and some lacing

S- you can smell the citrus here, nice! Not over-powering hops.

T- pine, citrus, lingers more on the tongue then I thought it would, since it is a wheat ale, it is 100 degrees outside, it fits the perfect summer time brew.

M - I love how this beer feels, it stays with me way longer than a wheat should and just fills my mouth with flavor, I can see why I snagged the last 6 pack my local store.

O - I am OK with a Wheat but usually just because I am out and that's about the best choice on the menu. Also, I love that this is a wheat at ABV 7.50%, I think that is what adds to the mouthfeel.

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: light yellow, and fairly clear with a puffy white head.
Smell: The smell is very good, I get a lot of floral and fruity notes, but can't discern specifics.
Taste: Again there are strong floral a fruity notes, with a slightly sweet undertone. This is all balanced with a strong, but note over powering bitterness. Overall I think the balance is just right.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and slightly thick, presumably from the wheat. There is a good amount carbonation to cut through the hops and keeps the finish from being overly bitter.

Overall: This is my favorite hoppy beer, and one of my favorite beers overall. I think the balance between the slightly sweet malt background, fruity hop flavors, and strong but not overpower bitterness is perfect. I could drink this all day.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: clear, light amber, dense, creamy head. Very nice.

S: very much the west coast hop smell; citrus, light, green smelling grassy notes, gentle sweetness.

T: bright and crisp. Hoppy and refreshing. Malt is pretty toned down but what I expect from a west coast IPA.

M: clean and light. Wheat lends crispness. No sticky cloying feeling.

Very nice. Not a world beater but I like this a lot and it's just a quality beer. Can't go wrong here.

To good health and good beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

[Poured into an Lagunitas Mason jar]

I: I've had many beers from Lagunitas, and they were always good to me, but not great. Well, today I review their most praised beer, the Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. The interesting thing behind this beer is that the beer community can't form a consensus on whether it's a wheat beer or an ipa. Well, lets get to it.

B:[7.5% ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled January 2011] I've always admired Lagunitas beer labels and would say they are my 3rd favorite(Stone 1st followed by The Great Divide). Love the texture of the label, feels like paper, but doesn't have that cheap laminated feel. General information is all there, but would of enjoyed a story/summary behind the beer like stones.

A: Orange/amber transparent body with a big carbonated/scattered head(moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: For a supposed wheat beer, this sure as hell smells like an ipa. Upfront is pineapple and grapefruit with a good hop presence.

T: Citrus grapefruit is dominated with dry sweet malt, but doesn't linger after finish with some smokey hops throughout(brings out the alcohol).

M: Smooth/slightly dry finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and moderate alcohol presence(complemented by the hops).

O: I am a believer!!! Interesting/tasty beer in every word, and the best Lagunitas brew I've had so far. I can't say I have any gripes with this beer. The dominate grapefruit you see in many ipas is upfront, but doesn't linger after finish. I guess the only sense of a wheat beer is the finish, but it's settle. Besides that, I would classify this as an ipa. Good beer worthy of my shelf, go pick up a six pack.

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Purchased at my local Party Liquors (Tampa, FL). $10.49 for the 6-pack.
A- Pour is surprisingly light and yellowy. Looks like a light beer, not a bad thing, just surprising. Creamy white head pleasantly pillows the top.
A- It's got a fruity smell I can't quite place… ah, I got it: pomelo! It's a fruit that tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit. Also has notes of barely.
F- Fruity upfront, bitter, piney, malty finish. Not as light and crisp as I would've liked.
M- Below average carbonation (for an APA).
O- Tastes like a under-carbonated IPA. Definitely a great (albeit, strong) APA for the ABV, but I'm definitely in favor of the more traditional IPAs (like Bell's Two Hearted) in terms of flavor and mouthfeel. This beer honestly gave me a half-chub on the smell, making me expect a hoppy/citrusy IPA, but then it fell flat when it came to taste. I can definitely see how some people like this beer, but it just ain't for me.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured in a pint glass. Golden "Clear"(Lil haze) considering it is a 7.5er. Wonderful smell of some type of sweet preserves I usually have a some fancy restaurant. The smooth sweet wheat taste is overpowered with hops. Delicious...The "wheat ipa" is proving some worth. This is one to try if you like hops!! IPA fans will like this as an alternative to their usual brew. Wheat beer fans, drink your smooth wheats and stand clear too much hops for u! Me, a good drinkin' brew!

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a pale golden / straw color w/ three fingers of dense head. Excellent retention and lacing.

The aroma is fantastic. Tropical, citric, and fresh herbal hops dominate the aroma w/ a slight malt sweetness towards the end.

The taste mirrors the aroma, with the herbal hops (basil, i kid you not) taking a bit more center stage. Flavors of sweet pineapple and grapefruit appear as well. The wheat malt comes in towards the end and offers some sweetness and balance. It tastes great, but the wheat is too subtle IMO

Medium bodied, very, very smooth and refreshing even. Deceivingly drinkable despite the 7.5 abv.

Overall: Although i was looking for a bit more wheat, this beer is pretty amazing. This is the best beer I've had in quite a while. Way to go Lagunitas.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

First pour is a clear yellow with a small head that fizzed away pretty fast. It has a smell of hops, pine, and citrus. Taste is classic hops with a nice citrus zest, can tell there is orange in the background and lemon with a dry grapefruit like finish. Very clean feel with a nice balanced bitterness. Outstanding beer with quality inside and out, very nice.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured 12oz bottle into 16oz glass a Mild golden color, 1 -2 finger head, mildly hazy.

Smells of Hops, Pine & Citrus with some sweetness are first thing to hit your nose. Malts and other ingredients balance well.

Tastes of citrus and sweet notes with Hops then the pine and citrus tastes abound, the malts keep the hop bite down nicely with a mild alcohol presense.

Medium hop bite, some citrus, the hops leaves a mildy bitter aftertaste of citrus and pine. finishes dry with some lingering hop aftertaste.

Good Drinkability for those who like the hops. nice amount of carbonation. Overall a good beer to take time to have one or two mixed in when your thirsty for a few. Not one for those who prefer a mild domestic brew. This is my 1st updated review of this brew. I put it as my second favorite behind Pliney.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours deep golden almost amber with eggshell white colored head that builds up to an almost two finger width that leaves thin lacing stuck to the glass once it resides. The smell is a bit grassy and piney, but sweet, with a detectable sweet malt backbone. Tastes of bold bitter and hops with a definite bready wheat flavor and detectable spiciness perhaps from an excellent mixture of hops, malt, yeast, and wheat of course. medium bodied with a carbonation that is not overbearing nor underwhelming, just right. I was craving hops but had no IPAs on hand and this juicy and delicious beer did just fine. I'm glad I have a few more of this excellent pale wheat ale.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally ($9.99/6). Bottle marked Day 325, 11/21/11, 43 days ago. Poured into tulip glass.

A: Slightly cloudy gold/amber. 1"+ fluffy, ivory head that leaves scattered lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Lemon and grapefruit, warm bread; floral.

T: Lemon & banana, slightly tangy/sour; caramel; growing piney bitterness; scant alcohol.

M: Crisp, with medium body and medium/high carbonation; creamy, but a bit too prickly to be smooth; slightly dry finish; low warming.

O: Fresh and delicious -- fruit/hop forward; one of my favorites from Lagunitas.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this on-tap in Pittsburgh once, remembered liking it, picked up a sixer when I saw it at the store.

Cool bottle, also, there's a dog on the cap. Pours smoothly into a hefeweizen glass and a small head plooms about a few cms. Beer is the color of light amber.

Smells: apricot, mango, citrus, fresh-cut grass, pine resin, flowers. Smells excellent.

Taste: sweet, hoppy, fruity, downright delicious.

Mouth: a little syrupy, leaves you wanting another sip, though.

Overall, I would recommend this beer to anybody that likes beer.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' – Wheat Pale Ale (7.5%) - Lagunitas Brewing Co. (California)

App: Beautiful citrine yellow color with a big, two finger head that retains very well. Big, sticky lacing way up the glass.

Smell: Big citrus hops nose up front. Lemon, with some bitter and spicy pine in the background. Sweet maltiness combining well with hints of fresh orange blossom.

Taste: Piney and floral simultaneously, this brew has a lot of hops flavors harmonizing to special character thats different than anything else I've had. Really interesting and complex, but a little hard to pin down in words. Hints of lemongrass, bitter lemon. Herbal and pungent, the alcohol is masked very well as I don't detect any of the 7.5% kick.

Mouth: Mouthfeel is light and pleasantly astringent. Carbonation is medium to light and fits this potent brew well.

Home tasting, 12oz bottle into Snifter. 1/5/14

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I drank this straight from the bottle, so didn't have a chance to see the color. The smell was just fine. Even though I am not particularly fond of really hoppy beer, I really like this one. There are many striking tastes in this one. It's kind of zingy. I really like it and will buy it again.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Golden pour, thin frothy head, it has a beautiful floral hop aroma. The taste is similar, very good and heavy hop profile with some exciting funkiness that makes this brew stick out a little. Medium heavy mouthfeel with a great aftertaste that lingers with more of the floral notes you get in the scent.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - clear golden color

S - very potent hoppy aroma with an almost odd sweet smell to it

T - hoppiness is the dominant characteristic. i can barely taste the wheat flavor, however its a good blend that allows for a sweet wheaty finish

M - feels full bodied yet not as full as many pales.

O - a clean pale with just a hint of sweetness that balances nicely.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Gorgeous deep orange with golden rod tones.

S: DAMN SON!!! The most aromatic Wheat Ale of all time!
Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, pineapple, fresh jungle honey, and rich flourishing malt. It stunk like some good Icky Icky. The most aromatic hop-ale that is not rated an IPA.

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (Big time Red Grapefruit, tangerine, lemon), and a nice crisp wheat finish. I was surprised that its not rated as an IPA. Very Close but not as tangerine and aromatic as their Lucky 13 beer which is also amazingly good.

MF: Medium body, silky, crisp, and sweet west coast hop sticky icky. It was a really delicious spring time beer. Good medium carbonation.

Overall: This can be considered one of my favorite drinkable Lagunitas beers. Lucky 13 is also a great summer beer. But this one of my favorite looking and smelling beers of all time.. Truly Exceptional.

Serving type: On Tap
Serving type: Bought bottles as well. Its better on Tap, more aromatic as well.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass. Liquid gold in color with a quarter inch of off white head which disappears to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Strong smell of piney-hop resin with some grapefruit. Taste is similar with a mildly bitter aftertaste. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and quite drinkable. This doesn't taste as good as last years batch - which is unfortunate, as that was delicious. Still, this is a very tasty beer and quenches ones thirst on a warm summer's day quite readily.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Orangish honey in color. Smells like trademarked Lagunitas - lots of tropical, lots of orange and a lighter, tangy malt. Taste comes thick and full, with the same orange and tropical hop presence. The maltiness is there, but it's repeatedly bludgeoned by the fruit flavor. The end game is a thick marmalade that delights delightfully... OK that was obnoxious, but it is delightful.

Like It? Very Much

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Beer pours a clear, pale yellow. A vigorous pour results in 1 1/2 fingers of head that fades over a few minutes, leaving a moderate amount of lacing. Very attractive. The aroma is primarily of hops, with a subtle wheat smell that isn't strong but is very pleasing - it almost smells like being in a farm field.

Onto the tasting. Strong hop presence up front that lingers a while, but surprisingly the finish turns more towards the malt than to bitter hops. The hop flavors are mostly pine, with a bit of citrus that comes through in the mid-palate - it works well with the wheat. Malt flavor is strongest when I exhale, and is generally good. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and a bit creamy, it's not what I had expected but it works here.

I haven't had all that many pale wheat ales, but Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is the clear champ among those I've sampled. If I had to describe this to someone in a bar in one sentence, it'd be "a bit like an IPA, though a bit more sessionable." Seek this one out.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Average head, which maintained. Plenty of lacing. Pours a beautiful deep golden color. The smell was understated. An interesting combination of fruity/hoppy flavor. The citrus fruitiness cuts the hoppy bitterness for a delicate balance that was quite drinkable. The 7.5% ABV was surprising. I was looking for a spring/summer ale to replace my beloved quads, and this just might fit the bill.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

Clear light golden body, half in head
Smell is floral hops, orange, mango, apricot
Juicy citrus hop flavor: grapefruit, lemon, mango. Grass, a little pine and some sugar afterwards. Still more bitter than sweet though
Medium body, clean feel
A good beer. I'm glad too, because I have a case of it from the gala to drink

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on June 16, Consumed July 9 2011.

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' pours out a golden amber with a thin half inch head. Scent is apricot, wheat, mango, pineapple, orange and grapefruit. Taste is predominately apricot and wheat with some lemon dropping in on the finish and lingering around. Mouthfeel is velvety-smooth. Outasight! Overall, a very smooth and drinkable pale wheat ale despite the ABV. One of my go-to six pack purchases along with Racer 5.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company