Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009

#881

Ratings: 2,945 |  Reviews: 600

J code 177 7 (6/26/17) poured on 8/26/17
L: Nice, amber, clear, tight foamy white head, big sticky head.
S: Fruity fruity hops, bright, loud, great, wow, I'm interested. Citrusy blossoms and mango, sweet peach, tropical purée, ripe and ready.
T: IMPERITIVE to let this one warm up a lot, then the bitterness subsides and you're left with a palate full of smooth rich DIPA flavor. Straight from the fridge it was unpleasantly bitter and not much flavor, but let it warm and you'll find a mellow mixture of ripe citrus fruits and hops, with an easy smooth herbal taste; classic Lagunitas vibe! We got a good one here boys!
F: Just enough bite, slick and viscous. Great balance.
O: Can't help but take a huge sniff before each sip/gulp... Man this is good; lip smacking good! A real nose and palate pleaser! And so drinkable! Must get more! Oh no... Went to get more and they were sold out!!! If you find some fresh, better stock up, this stuff is good, for real!

A- Classic clear golden orange color. Good finger of head and the lacing looks to be super sticky so far just seeing the head fade away. Sticky spider webs all the way down. Great lookin' brew.

S- I was able to smell this before I even poured it. After the pour my nose was engulfed in the wonderfulness that is this brew. Strong citrus that overpowers everything else in the area, just lots of pungent fresh grapefruit and lemon. Smells amazing.

T/M- Oh.... My... Goodness... All of the flavors are exploding in my mouth, I almost can't take it. It is just the perfect amount of bitterness combined with the maltyness and fruityness and oh so fresh tasting. At first it seems to have a extreme bite, but then it goes down so smooth and there is very little bitter aftertaste. No alcohol burn to speak of and it is not boozy at all. I don't want this to ever end. To me, this brew is a very strong contender for Pliny the Elder in terms of my favorite DIPA, this really is a fantastic beer.

D- This is likely because of the Taste and Mouthfeel being so good, but I could drink this forever, let alone throughout a night of a drinking. I am having trouble finding anything wrong with this beer. This will be my very first perfect score and I believe it is most deserving. I don't know if this beer got me at the right moment or what, but I feel as if I am in heaven at this very moment. I just hope I can find more of this beer somewhere I want more before it's gone.

Thank you Lagunitas for satisfying my palate way beyond my expectations.

One of my favorite beers in the world! Outstanding in every way. It even ruined Little Sumpin' Sumpin' for me (which is amazing considering how good a beer THAT is.)

Sweet pineapple malt notes mingle seamlessly with the citrus hop and wheat-ish background. Truly a wonder to behold!

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company