Wilco Tango Foxtrot | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Imperial Brown Ale

Added by flexabull on 03-06-2010

Ratings: 2,668 |  Reviews: 867
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany to brown color…it’s dark in color, but fairly transparent…a nice thick layer of light khaki color head did form and remained…a good lookin’ brew…(4/5)

Smell: Very malt heavy up front with touches of rye and it’s peppery bite…not overly sweet, I’m getting woodsy/piney (and the lightest citrus) hops notes in there as well…tons of earthiness, I’m not sure if it’s the malt or hops doing this…musty and mildly robust…nice…(4/5)

Taste: Much like the nose, there’s really one distinct flavor from beginning to end, piney/earthy/woodsy hops blended with earthy/rye malts…a faint citrusy lightness does show up late in the taste and takes a bit of the robust punch out of the finish…(4/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with light carbonation…doesn’t fluff up much, but does bring some of that peppery rye bite to the fore…fairly wet and straight forward…tons of robust earthy/musty/woodsy hops bitterness lingering in the after taste…it could be a touch fuller…(3.75/5)

Overall: This is a good beer…I’ve been trying to drink more seasonably lately and when I saw this hit the store’s shelves earlier this week, I happily took the plunge…Lagunitas is turning out to be one of my favorite breweries, their beer has tons of flavor and hops and I haven’t had anything that has disappointed…I wasn’t expecting a rye kick before tasting, but fell in love as soon as I did…rye ales have been all over my radar as of lately and this one continues on that trend…I would consider this the malty version of the Bell’s Smitten…could it be more, sure, but what they have here is a solid brew that is worth picking up and enjoying…it goes well with a Tiger Woods sunday performance…(4/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap in a tulip

A - Dark with mahogany highlights with a small tan head.

S - Big floral hop character with citrus notes riding over a prominent toasted malty sweetness.

T - The hop character hides the best of the malt. Both are good, but they don't blend smoothly.

M - Drying character of the hops on the finish with a surprisingly high level of carbonation.

O - It seems like the hops are a bit too aggressive because they compete with the malt bill in a way that is unbalanced. I know that's a stylistic choice for Lagunita's but it seems to have gone a bit too far in this case.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

A very delicious beer! Not the least bit bitter, with a subtle aroma.
Appearance: Mahogony. Adequate lacing.
Smell: Hops, some citrus, but not dominating, letting the sweet maltiness share the stage
Taste: Smooth, slightly bitter hops, sweetness coming through. Little to no alcohol burn.
Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin, but coats the mouth with hop oils. Smooth.
Drinkability: Rarely do I drink the same beer twice, but I will be buying more of this beer.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark copper color with a half finger head and very nice lacing.

S: Sweet malts, hops, sugar, and a touch of alcohol. Very inviting.

T: Nutty, earthy, roasted malts, some hops, and a little alcohol. Not as complex as the Bastards, my favorite Strong Ales, but pretty good.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. I wish it was a little heavier.

O: This is a pretty good Strong Ale, but is lacking in places. It's tasty, easy to drink, and hides the alcohol well. I'm glad I tried it.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

22 oz poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass.

A - caramel colored copper with ruby highlights. about an inch of tan head. it's what I'd expect of the style, but still an appealing looking beer nonetheless. good bit of carbonation. some nice webby lacing.

S - robust roasted malts. hints of caramel and rummy alcohol. some moderate hops, but the malts make up the majority of the nose.

T/M - strong roasted malts complemented by a sweet caramel rum flavor that brightens the malts giving it a more summery feel. there is a decent hop presence more so on the back end. light to medium bodied with some high carbonation.

Overall - moderate drinkability. this beer is released in March and the flavors are perfect for the month. this is a good beer for either warm or cold weather as it has a warming, roasted flavor and a refreshing hop flavor. the ABV makes it's presence but it's pleasant and not overbearing.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

The last time I had Lagunitas' WTF was about two years ago, if I remember correctly. It was a hot day then too, though it didn't get to the hellish temperature that it did today in Texas (100+), but WTF impressed me a lot when I had it for my last, and first, time. And it's a bit suitable as a beer to have, a "jobless recovery ale", because I've yet to find my teaching job I want. Anyway, I'll see if I am as impressed with this as I was the last time.

I poured my WTF into - what else? - my Lagunitas jar! The head formed slowly and looked awesome doing so, eventually leading to a two finger high, off-white, and deliciously frothy head. The brew is clear and straight copper. The beautiful head leaves some great, almost thick, lacing. This looks too damn good.

Grainy, earthy, and a tad spicy malts come through here with a bit of floral and fruity hops like peach/mango. Piney, with some sugary sweetness, maybe light brown sugar. I get a little bit of booze burn too with a full inhalation.

This is what I expect from a Lagunitas-style American strong ale. This is like drinking a pine tree, like most Lagunitas beers, except there's not the strong presence of pine resin-strong, citrusy, and floral hops that Lagunitas is known so well for and I love. That's not an insult to this beer, though. This is much more earthy, evidently from the malts, has a mild spice to it, and there's a lingering mild caramel sweetness to it. Wait, I'd say it's more like toffee. Yes, that's it. I'd say this is perfectly balanced. There's just enough hops to tingle the tongue too. I can't taste any booziness. Sweet yet spicy at the end. Now I remember why I liked this beer so much. I imagine I'm drinking the forest floor of a Texas pine forest. Is that weird?

This is an easy to drink, medium-bodied beer with a good medium carbonation to keep it lively. It goes down smooth but the bubbles keep it interesting. The end is a little slick from the sweetness but the beer's spiciness balances in being dry.

I love this beer a lot for some reason. Usually I love beers that are very robust and hit me in the face with their qualities, but Lagunitas' WTF is a beer I'd say is perfectly balanced with flavors I enjoy. It helps when it looks so damn good too. I'll need to remember to pick this one up more often.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

poured from bomber into Snifter.

A-Appears brown, sort of reddish when put up to a light. small head forms after I finished pouring.

S-thick malty. a nice floral aroma as well. smells very crisp also.

T-very malty. nice caramel maltiness with a piney hop taste through out. Starts very malty, mixes in the middle and finishes mostly hops.

MF-fairly thick. a bit creamy. good balanced carbonation. Nice hoppy sweet aftertaste.

O-this is a pretty good beer. Much hoppier than expected, but can't complain about that. Nice malty flavor. Mixes well, I think this was a nice surprise and wouldn't mind having this again.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bomber into pint glass.

A: Dark brown with a slightly red tint. Despite very aggressive pour only half a finger of cream colored head that became a bubbely ring around the outside. Decent lacing.

S: Citrusy hops right away on the nose. Not getting much else off of it even after a swirl.

T: Hops again just like the nose. Like iced hop tea. Not even getting the malt through on this one. Not bad but not much there.

M: medium bodied, not really heavy (expected from lack of malt flavor it must be lightly malted) and kinda wet. Yes I know it is 92.17% water so it will in fact be wet. This as it warms in the mouth so it finishes light.

O: If you like super hoppy beers like IPA then this strong ale is for you. Not my cup of tea (or glass of beer as it were) but all in all it is a decent beer. Nothing offensive and bad about it, not super complex but not boring. The hop character of it reminds me of A Lil' Sumptin Sumptin also from Lagunitas.

Edit: I was drinking it over a a long period while playing video games. As it warmed the hoppyness became less overpowering and the unique flavors of the brown malt come through. The claim on the bottle "robust" and "malty" are realized closer to room temp. Should be served warm, not sure what I was thinking drinking a double at fridge temp. Changed taste and mouthfeel from 3.0 to 3.5 because it thickened up a touch and got roastier.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

As a note, I purposefully left this beer in the cellar for a while to bring out the malt and subdue any hoppy character, and I'm definitely happy with the results.

Appearance: Pours ruby/dark brown is soda pop consistency off white head.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, dark fruits and some sweet malts. After a bit of warming, the bready flavors come out along with some toffee and light alcohol flavors.

Taste: Same chocolate and fruit flavors with bigger toffee flavors than the nose would lead you to believe. Nice biscuity malt flavors with hints of raisins and a slight hoppy background. Overall nice even though there are some alcohol undercurrents coming out.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a relatively crisp finish.

Drinkability: Pretty decent and different offering from Lagunitas. I dig the subtle background flavors and the higher alcohol really doesn't detract from the drinkability, although don't confuse this with a more classic brown.

Wilco Tango Foxtrot from Lagunitas Brewing Company