Wilco Tango Foxtrot | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Imperial Brown Ale

Added by flexabull on 03-06-2010

Ratings: 2,645 |  Reviews: 862

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

OK, I got this today on a whim. The major factor in my decision to purchase was it was fairly cheap, $4. Next, I really liked little sumpin Sumpin Ale. This beer pours a deep amber with a nice head on top. There is lacing but it fades fast. The smell is a bouquet of citrus. I don't really know what an imperial brown ale is supposed to smell like. The smell is decent, but its nothing amazing. Upon tasting this beer you can defiantly detect a hop not followed off by some kind of malt backbone. The beer feels fairly smooth in the mouth. This beer is decent, but its nothing to write home about. I give it a 7 out of 10

3.96/5  rDev +1%

A: Looks like red velvet cake--3 fingers of thick batter-like cream-colored head off the pour, with a glowing burgundy body. Champagne bubbles grip the glass and are ceaseless. Prominent lacing.

S: Grassy hops and a light malt backbone. Pedestrian.

T: Definitely a hopped up red. Lot's of rounded, moist, grassy hops tones. Throw in some sweet mild malts and you've got this wonderfully balanced beer. Nothing spectacularly big, just great sipping.

M: Creamy feel. Coating and mildly dry. No booze.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%

22 oz bottle, date code 04031607 (bottled 2/9/12)and well stored.

Poured into a Corsendunk Signature Tulip.

Pours a nice medium, creamy, ¼” head, lasts well enough and is easily revived with a swirl of the glass. A very lively ale.
Deep brown color with a hint of amber. Nice!

The aroma is rather light with just a hint of hops followed by light/medium malt that has just enough roasted/biscuit richness with a hint of caramel to let you know it’s there.
Typical Lagunitas yeast but not nearly as distinct as usual.

Crisp entry on the palate of light hops with a hint of citrus followed by medium biscuity malt. Some light yeast comes and goes.
The acidity is crisp and distinct with a full mouth feel and distinct carbonation, pleasantly off dry in sweetness.

An acceptable finish, medium length with some rather nondescript malt and faint lingering bitterness.

Well this was a bit of a let down considering the many excellent brews I have had from Lagunitas, not that it was bad, just very average.
I wouldn’t buy this one again.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

A:This is an attractive beer. At first I thought I saw little specks floating all around but upon further inspection, to the contrary, this beer appears very clear. Ruby-amber color and big welcome soap-bubbly head. Lace is all over and changing, but never completely disappears. Good retention.

S: Sweet bread grain, apple cobbler, green grapes, and mild floral notes all blended together in a clean, crisp fashion. Pleasant, simple aromas. Very delicate, fun to smell mix.

T: Again, lightly sweet and clean. Softly malty with brisk hop flavors. Tastes as if this were made with extremely clean spring water. The flavors are warm, a little dessert-like, and reminiscent of the Fall season yet this has the refreshing crispness of a Spring/Summer brew. This is confusing me. Not sure what I'm drinking here. I do like it though.

M: Very soft texture to this beer. Very fluid, and still some sense of viscosity. Again this beer is pulling in two different directions but still somehow feels singular.

This is a pretty good beer after all. Not big in malts or hops but everything comes together in a well defined and pleasing way. I'm used to more intense brews from Lagunitas, but this is a nice change of pace. Interesting too...

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%

Clear, dark chestnut color with a slender head quickly fading to a patchy covering. Juicy, fruity hop bouquet...sweet, oily, and floral primarily with some citrus and a surprisingly mild caramel note. More juicy, dank hop oils hit the tongue in typical Lagunitas fashion. It's not a particularly intense beer in any aspect - well done in the hop department, though the flavor tends to vanish as quickly as it comes. If you chew on it a bit, the hop character is nice...dried fruity, resinous, citrusy. Increasingly malty as it warms, but it never comes all that close to what I would venture to call an "Imperial Brown Ale". Some caramel, brown sugar, and nuts. Medium bodied with a creamy slickness. The ambiguous hoppy strong ale style is something these guys do a lot of and they typically do a good job. While this doesn't stand out in any way, it is well crafted as usual.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

The label got me - "A Malty, Robust, Jobless Recovery Ale". 7.85%ABV, O.G. 1.072, and 59 IBU's, this is a wonderfully drinkable ale.

Poured into a brandy snifter, I enjoyed watching the bubbles form a 3/8" top border of bubbles. Looking at my empty glass, the lacing is nice but not extravagant.

I really like this beer, enough to seek out other Imperial Browns, a new-to-me style. I'm a fan of Dogfish Head Indian Brown, and me thinks I like this one even more!

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Bought 4/3/12. Poured 4/6/12.

Poured red/brown with nice head that stuck around for about 10 min and left some nice lacing.

Nose is all malt. I get none of the hop that other reviewers have mentioned. Smells like a fresh wort.

First taste is all malt. No hop at all. Carbonation was spot on for the sweetness of the malt though.

Sweet Carmel and light molasses/malt extract. Nothing significant in the overall taste of this beer.

Even after allowing it to air out and warm up I'm a little underwhelmed. Interesting adventure in sweet malty beer but nothing spectacular.

I ended up mixing the last couple ozs with a raspberry framboise that em parted enough tartness to make the warmish wort palatable.

I would have liked to taste this beer in its heyday. My local shop only got it this week so I assumed it was relatively new, or else the reviews I read were of a different version of this beer. Either way, at $4 for a bomber I would get it again for a nice warming change up to spring/summer beers.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%