The Waldos' Special Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Spring

Brewed for all the treasure hunters.

Herbaceous. Botanical. Dank. Resinous.

Added by largadeer on 04-21-2011

#460
Liked:
4.32/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,001 |  Reviews: 460

Maybe Im a little biased for Lags beers but I didnt not thing Sucks could be overthown in my book...well Waldos is awesome and better. Not boozy on the palete. Nice piny tropical where the ibus suttly appear....a great beer..

Bottled on 4/7/17 (097 7 Julian code) enjoyed on 5/10,11,12,24,25/17, 6/10,11/17, 7/7/17...

L: Poured to YETI. Golden amber. Head was small to medium in size with spotty lacing.

S: Oh my! Smells so good! Initially very sharp and distinctly hoppy/fruity, with a light earthy and herbal aroma. Wonderfully strong! Tangerine, mango, apricot, peach; tropical. Halfway through gave it a good swirl in the cup and smelled some dank!

T: Great and unique; Lagunitas signature flavor but with much more intensity. Came in smooth, then BAM! Lots to decipher on this one. But, surprisingly to me, based on the nose, it's not as sweet or as fruity as I thought it would be. It's richly hoppy with a nice, ripe and fruity undertone, and a very pleasant earthy bitterness. This is so good! Just a tinge of alcohol zing. Dank!

F: Great; resinous, perfect carbonation. ROBUST! Peppery. Not too boozy, dangerously drinkable.

O: This is one HOSS of a beer! Not for the faint of heart. Bold but not rude in any category. 11.9 abv is very well hidden in aroma and taste, but after a few good sips you'll know it's there! This is no copycat; it stands alone as a wonderfully/perfectly engineered HOP BOMB. The hype is entertaining. The hunt is exciting. The aroma is inviting. The taste is alluring. The content is intoxicating. The experience is outstanding!!! Hate to see the bottom of the cup coming on this one. Life is good! I'm thinking to myself, does it get any better than this?

It does get better. When you have 2 Waldos' in a row, the 2nd one is super rich and creamy; it's very deep and full of intense hop flavor! Picking up on a rich malty aroma that I love. Total package. This is what it's all about! Thank you Lagunitas. This may be the best DIPA experience I've ever had.

Huge props to Chelsea Food Mart/Citco for their AWESOME selection of craft! 11.95 for a 6pk... Wow!

SUPERDANK!!!

After trying the 2017 release, I felt it necessary to revise my original rating of this. Why? There isn't anything about it that I'd change. It hits all the right notes. The appearance is stunning: brilliant copper colored body, thick snow-white head, plenty of sticky lacing. Huge aromas and flavors of pine, orange, grapefruit, and citrus zest, balanced perfectly by the solid malt presence. Bitter, yet clean on the finish. This is in the same league as Hopslam, at half the price and with much greater availability. Best value in craft beer. Bravo, Lagunitas!

Phenomenal. Drank 1 and the next day went back and bought 2 more 6 packs

Amazing brew! It's definitely one of the best IPA's I've tried!

L: A little bit hazy, with an "orangy", honey kind of color.

S: Amazingly dank! I get Mango, peaches, pine, Pineapple, Apricot, and a little bit of orange.

T: It follows the smell very well. You get all of what I pointed out above. It's sweet and bitter at the same time, which I personally love. It's balanced, but still strong. It is heavy with Lagunitas signature taste.

F: The mouthfeel is Medium heavy. It's very sticky, and it has medium to low carbonation.

O: It's easily a world class beer, with a low price and huge distribution. What more would you want. I recommend it to anyone who like Imperial IPA's.

This beer is so hoppy, so smooth, and so flavorful with wonderful finish that you will wonder why you ever drank anything else. Please bottle and send to me weekly.

Yessss, got to snag a couple sixers of this super rare limited release down in lil' old Beaumont, Texas. I LOVE this beer and it's concept, was incredibly stoked to try it as Lagunitas consistently delivers high quality beers, and this is no exception. Love the 420 friendliness of it and the art is just dope!

Pale gold, orange-ish color with a much more bubbly top then normal. Cool white head that splatters all over the sides with a spread of lacing. Smells DANK! Tons of hops crammed into this baby. Tropical, lemon, cannabis. The list goes on.

Taste blew my damn mind when I sipped this beer for the first time. I almost wasn't prepared - it comes at you super strong and hop forward but with a decent serving of pale ale malts to back it up. Just like the smell but with a little bite. My palate ain't used to this dank of a beer! A little heavy, but incredibly rewarding. By that, I mean I start feeling good from a couple gulps in. This beer delivers on the alcohol unlike probably any I've tried. Hard to find a beer down here that has more alcohol then some wines, this one takes the cake.

I LOVE that this beer comes in a six pack. I see four packs of lower performing beer for the 12.99 priceas well. What a cool opportunity to grab a couple sixers - no worries I saved about 2 that were sitting on the shelf for others.

Wish it came year round. Lagunitas's finest selection I've tried. I feel everyone should try at least one. As a lover of strong IPA's, this is up there with my favorites of all time. Big time cheers and thank you!

Incredibly delicious, unique double IPA