The Waldos' Special Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Spring

Brewed for all the treasure hunters.

Herbaceous. Botanical. Dank. Resinous.

Added by largadeer on 04-21-2011

#452

Ratings: 2,010 |  Reviews: 462

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%

Waldo pours a clear, golden light amber color, and is capped by a thin white head that has a good amount of retention and lacing. Aromas were somewhat muted (damn shaker glass!), but hop aromas were still dominate with tropical fruitiness, especially pineapple noticeable. Wow, this brew is smooth and delicious! Pine resin flavors mix with tropical fruit and citrus tones before meeting a slightly bready malt backbone. Incredibly well balanced, Waldo is medium in body, while being medium-light in carbonation. At 9.2% this is a beer that will get you into some trouble, but on a Friday night that may not be so bad.... Get it while you can!

Cheers!

On tap at Max's. Very surprised to see this beer here... when I saw it at the Apex in PDX, I was told this beer is very, very limited.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive as well, as I pick up considerable tangerine, tropical fruit (mango, papaya and the like), light pine and underlying citrus. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and the beer is a bit sweeter and maltier than I tend to enjoy in an IPA/DIPA. Still, the beer has a goodly dose of hoppy bitterness as well, which keeps the tropical fruit from overwhelming the flavor profile. The finish is actually fairly dry and bitter. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, tropical fruit and bitter finish. There's a bit of heat from alcohol in the finish as well, but for the most part, the alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile.

Another solid beer from Lagunitas, but for my money, I'll take Hop Stoopid every time.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Waldo's on tap at Pony Bar, Hell's Kitchen, NYC. 8-oz glass.

Appearance: Beautiful pale amber, resin-honey color. Great white head and lacing. Promising!

Smell: Sweet and citrus, reminds me of Lagunitas Sucks. Tropical aromas, confectioner's sugar, pineapple juice. Candied orange.

Taste: An assault of citrus hops! Chew on those cones and smell the weed, this is Waldo for you. Piney and sticky, dry finish. Spruce tips scattered on the ground of an Oregon forest. More bitter than in the nose, with some grapefruit juice and lime. Peppery spice around the edges.

Mouthfeel: Full body and flavor, unbalanced and great. It's an onslaught of hops! It almost burns when it warms up- wild and wonderful.

OVerall: Sometimes I demur at these crazy, one-track-mind super-hoppy IPA's, but this one sure does work! Extremely drinkable, flavorful, delicious.

4.84/5  rDev +12%

Pours a clear golden color with an off white head. It has a very clean, candied grapefruit bouquet. It has a wonderful grapefruit forward flavor. There's a nearly perfect mouthfeel for the style. It's very complimentary to the flavors. No discernible alcohol warmth. This is a magnificent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

14oz pour at Owen and Engine in Chicago for 5 bucks. Cheers guys!

A - Clear yellow with a hint of orange. Snow white head clings to glass but dissipates fast. Bubbles flowing.

S - Holy cow 420. This is insane. Oranges, pineapple, and malts are next, but they marry with the weed beautifully. You can tell that it is gonna taste hoppy but in the nose they definitely take a back seat. This is intense.

T - Follows the nose. Nice bitterness from the hops, some honey and the citrus to follow. I can smell the mj as I sip. Very good.

M - Good. Full bodied and good carbonation. A little more than I'd like but not enough to detract.

O - Another homer for Lagunitas. Smell is easily the best part. Look forward to trying this again.

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 11.99/ 6 pack. There's a code on the neck but it is some BS that does not equate to an obvious date. Served in a Wicked Weed snifter.

Pours a bright golden orange with about a finger and a half white head. The froth reduces to a faint haze and modest collar, imparting some scattered spots of lace.

The aroma is an amazing blend of citrus, dank and lightly piney hop aromas. Notes of mango, mandarin, grapefruit and cake keep me coming back for more.

Flavors are a huge, delicious barrage of hops. There is a good bit of dankness but also so much more with a fantastic mix of complementing citrus and tropical. Mango, dank green onion/ garlic ( lin the most delicious and appropriately hoppy way), mandarins, papaya, grapefruit, pine, mild peach, caramel, bread, cake and an occasional bite of alcohol. This particular blend is almost custom tailored for my tastes and I can't stop drinking this. I know it's 11.5% abv but it is incredibly smooth, flavorful and dangerously easy to drink quickly.

Slick, sticky, medium full feel with enough carbonation to keep it lively with distracting or preventing those glorious hop oils from resting on the palate. Long, delicious, bitter, dank, fruity finish.

I really enjoyed the draft release I tried four years ago but that 8.67% abv version is nothing compared to this bottled One Hitter 11.5% abv version. For the most part I am a one and done craft beer drinker but I have a serious love affair with this beer. After my first bottle I immediately tracked down another 6 pack. Halfway through that second 6 pack I "had" to search around for another. As I update my review I am into my third 6 pack in about two weeks and seriously considering finding another. I have NEVER before been so addicted or obsessed. This really literally is the first time I have drank the same beer so often in such a short time. I'm getting as much as I can while it is still fresh and available.

The Waldos' Special Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company