Lucky 13.alt | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by MADhombrewer on 06-23-2011

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Beautiful and perfectly orange in color. The head fails a little as it doesn't hang out very long but for a thin layer on top. It is off-white bubbly and frothy mixed, and leaves nice lacing.

S: WOW! I could smell this beer as I was pouring it 2 feet away from my nose. Pears, apples, and everything else you would find at an orchard are what you'll find here. Some tangerine in the background along with some floral notes, but the pear is right in your face.

T: I finished half of my glass before I even realized that I hadn't written anything for the taste part of the review. Very well rounded beer, big bold floral hop flavor with a nice caramel meatiness brings this beer near top of my Lagunitas favorites.

M: Carbonation is a bit on the high side, but it works well for this beer. It is medium bodied, not cloying but a tad sticky on the finish.

D: For all the alcohol in this beer, it's hidden very well. Drinks nicely, I wish I bought a case.

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got firkin’ lucky with this one.

(That is, I got Lucky 13 on firkin. At the beer sanctuary.)

This poured a copper-caramel color with amazing foam retention. Seriously! The cap of foam held its shape even after 15 minutes. Impressive.

The aroma come across like a sweet malt smack with a slightly dank fist of resiny hops.

As I taste it I find there’s a pronounced bitterness which contrasts with the malty sweetness. Like a barleywine or scotch ale I get a long, lingering finish, some piney hops, a bitter peak, and lots of malt sweetness. I liked it.

Updated from the bottle:

This pours a deep hued amber with light foam.
I find aromas of orange and orange marmalade, orange peel, and a sweet caramel note rounding it out.
I taste a lot of orange and citrus hops, defined by a midpoint bitterness and held together by a pleasant caramel malt character. There’s a malty sweet finish. A beer big enough for the hop head in me, but malty enough for those who shy from the lupulin.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

I love this beer. Its something that warms you up when its cold outside, but gives you that sigh of relief when you have had a hard day to. Not something that you would really want to drink more than two of at a time because of strong flavors that can ruin a palate if you want to drink or taste anything else for the next few hours.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

On-tap 8/4/2012 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains piney hops, caramelized malts and citrus.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of caramel and citrus. Then a strong but not over-powering hops bitterness comes in. The malt character is hearty and creates a good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Very tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, well-disguised strong kick, good representation of style, this is a very good beer with a lot of flavor and substance worth drinking for a long time.

Lucky 13.alt from Lagunitas Brewing Company