Lagunitas Sucks

Nov 07, 2011
SCORE
World-Class
Lagunitas SucksLagunitas Sucks
Notes: This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.75 by tscanlon51 from Massachusetts

Nov 04, 2022

Rated: 4.3 by Beergod420 from Michigan

Oct 30, 2022
Rated by NCSapiens from Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
No, Lagunitas REALLY sucks.
Aug 07, 2022

May 06, 2022
Reviewed by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
Some scrappy notes from 2018. 6 pack of 12 ounce bottles.
This beer pours a deep gold color and is crisp and bright tasting. It is sweet and slightly resinous and is extremely easy drinking for it's 8% ABV. I hope they continue to make it as it is one of my favorites from this brewery. Excellent!
Nov 21, 2021

Rated: 4 by Burg from New Hampshire

May 05, 2021
Reviewed by Sigmund from Norway

3.42/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
355 ml bottle, at a breakfast joint in Petaluma. Deep golden to orange colour, large off-white head. Aroma and flavour of citrus, pine, caramel and sweet malts. Maybe a bit too far out on the sweet side for me, but still a fairly nice beer. Some alcohol in the finish. Anyway, I wouldn’t say that it sucks.
Mar 23, 2021

Rated: 4.21 by HopBelT from Belgium

Mar 21, 2021

Rated: 4.42 by HarryPotHead from Maryland

Mar 13, 2021
Reviewed by TheBrewsClues from California

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
The name sounds like its referring to the brewery, with a bit of self-deprecation, but it's really about 2020. But this beer is the opposite of 2020. It's a dry-hopped DIPA with an abundance of complex flavors stemming from the multitude of grains used in its brewing. Lagunitas really hit the right combination. For a dry-hopped brew, it is a nice crisp bitterness. Checks all the boxes of a solid DIPA with big flavor.
Mar 09, 2021
Reviewed by RJLarse from Washington

3.39/5  rDev -21.5%
Pours a gold color with a creamy white head. A little chill haze. It has a medicine taste, maybe because of the ABV? It's very hop forward but not my pint of beer. I like the regular IPA better. It does taste a little like the year 2020, so there's that.
Mar 08, 2021

Rated: 4.86 by billmayo from New Jersey

Jan 16, 2021
Reviewed by barneyrubble from Colorado

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass an off white 1F head is formed. Beer is 95% transparent and mid gold in color with tons of fine particulate. Really interesting!

On the nose I get some mild onion, pine, salt, malt grapefruit pith and rind. The aroma is intoxicating!

On the palate, WOW, orange, malt, salt water effervescence that is thirst quenching and makes me want more. It is a bit candylike and sticky thick but I want more. The malty stickiness is balanced with relatively mild hops that are grapefruit and pine. The finish is astringent and cloying but I like it because it is mellowed by the malt.

Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, cloying and tasty. Some dryness to cut the malt on the end.

I was not expecting this. I was expecting a hugely dank and super bitter beer with astringent roof peeling dryness. Not even close. Sweet candylike malt and restrained interesting hops make this a beer I will have again. A big tasty malty balanced hop bomb.
Jan 14, 2021

Rated: 4.19 by Gregory88 from California

Jan 14, 2021

Rated: 4.06 by EasternIsh from California

Reviewed by ZenAgnostic from Texas

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%
12oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. Picked up a single from Total Wine for $1.99. I've heard a lot about this bottle for the past decade I've been a beer geek but this is the first time I've seen it in the wild. No discernable date on the bottle but some cryptic numbers printed on the neck.

Appearance - Very hazy. Even with backlight can only barely make out the hazy silhouette of my hand. Small one finger white head. Irregular going from fine to pancake batter with variable bubble size. Good retention, decent lacing and stick. 4.25

Smell - Grassy, sweet, lactic. Even a little floral. Interesting. Fairly weak for an Imperial though. 4.25

Taste - Ho ho ho. Good kick in the mouth. Yet still soft and cushiony. Somehow has a strong, bold up front pretense but with no harshness or off tones or over-bitterness. Impressive in that regard. I appreciate it. Very unique. 5

Mouthfeel - No harshness. Yet bold. 5

Drinkability - Extremely drinkable. Very sessionable for any beer let alone one at this ABV. World class easily, master crafted. No off tones whatsoever. No hiding flaws under strength. 5

Rated: 4.11 by Dkloubec from Illinois

Reviewed by RedBalloon from Washington

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
12 oz bottle dated 260 (9/16/20) poured into a Teku on 12/24/20.

Pours a 2" fluffy white head. Golden orange and semi-transparent. Intense sticky lacing.

Dank, spicy, herbal, and musky hop aromas. Sweet malty booze with a subtle peppery scent.

Strong dank herbal flavor. Increasingly bitter finish with a musky quality. Sweet, but not balanced. Much more bitter.

Sticky, oily, resinous mouthfeel. Moderately carbonated. Smooth and easy-drinking apart from the drying and bitterness.

Complex and predominantly hoppy in the weedy, dank direction. The alcohol isn't hidden, but it doesn't overpower. A very well-made dank DIPA.
Jan 01, 2021

Rated: 4.06 by GeorgeAKeim from Oregon

Dec 29, 2020
Reviewed by MonDak_Joe1953 from Minnesota

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
12oz bottle. No dating but the verbiage around the label talks about going to a brighter and wiser 2021.
Brilliantly clear, deep gold colored body. Not much of a head upon pouring but a partial white cap covers the surface. Each sip leaves behind a tiny spot sheen of lacing. Quite the enticement to rotate the glass while drinking in order to get full glass coverage.
Aroma at a chilled temperature is hidden but bready malts and resinous hops come through.
Taste is full. Slightly sweet but well balanced with citrus, pine, and resin. The suggestion of bitterness is swirled and tempered by the floral sweetness. Leaves a buzz in the mouth, and the aftertaste continues the back and forth, with a resin high note.
Medium mouth feel. The stickiness of the resin also expresses in the mouth. Excellent carbonation.
As mentioned on the label, this is an excellent palate cleanser brew. Very expressive but without excess. Enjoyable.
Dec 27, 2020
Reviewed by HappyBeers from Oregon

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%
I'm not usually in the mood for an IPA, but when I am I usually look for one that is really well balanced. Some IPAs just bludgeon you with hops and bitterness. I like hops, I like bitterness, but I like them in measured amounts. Lagunitas Sucks nails it. This is GOOD BEER. Dark amber, almost caramel in color with a thick white head. Not much on the nose, a little floral, piney. Taste is spectacular. Hoppy, malty, botanicals and pine. Lightly sweet, and a nice light bitter finish. Medium high carbonation. Lighter body, but not wimpy by any means. I'll definitely grab this again the next time I'm in the mood for an IPA. I'm pretty blown away that this is 8% abv. It is so smooth and drinkable. This is truly a quality beer.
Dec 25, 2020
Reviewed by gooddaydiablo from Texas

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
look: amber, clear

smell: grass

taste: tea? bread, pine, brown sugar, mango

feel: smooth and easy to chug, tiny bitter finish

overall: lagunitas sucks!
Dec 24, 2020

Dec 17, 2020
Reviewed by mycousinvinny from New York

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
Pours a nice golden color with a nice one inch head with great lacing
Smell of pine and citrus
Taste is a nice light citrus taste with pine hops slight bitterness just right
Nice crisp carbonation
This is yet another great beer from lagunitas
Dec 10, 2020