Lagunitas Sucks | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 10,371 |  Reviews: 1,644
4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm not big on IPAs but I do like Lagunita's A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. After trying that beer it made me want to try "Lagunitas Sucks".

The problem with IPAs is that they are too bitter (IBUs are too high). But Lagunitas is smart, they aren't trying to get into the IBU arms race that other beer companies have gotten into with their IPAs.

The key to their success is the fact that they are blending their hops with wheat and other backbones. It gives you a much smoother profile to the beer that is much easier on your palette. I think I like this beer even more than A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Very nicely brewed. Nice head on the beer, lacing, the smell and color is nice and the mouthfeel is just right. The flavor reminds me of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' but more refined and smoother.

Now my review might not be as accurate as possible because I did have my bottle in the cellar for awhile. According to the julian date stamp on my bottle it says: 075 6 which I believe means that was bottled on the 75th day of the year 2016. It is 6/8/18 today. LOL, my bottle is two years old. The moral of the story is that if it tastes this good after two years... maybe that's the way to drink this beer. It is so damn smooth but hoppy. I want to try a fresh one just to compare. I'm not sure I'd like a fresh one as much as I like one that's two years old. It ages very well.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tall clear glass. Hazy, dark amber-golden color. Finger thick fluffy head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell is piney and citrusy upfront. Orange, pineapple, and grapefruit, other tropical hops, a caramel scent, other floral hops, resin, and sweet bread malt.

Much like the aroma. Hops and malts compete with each other. Pine and resin spicy hops that make up the body of the beer, followed by citrus and sweet flavors like pineapple, tangerine, mango, stone fruit, orange, caramel, and honey. Mildly bitter aftertaste. Feels smooth.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Lagunitas. Yummers.

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

May 10th, 2015 - I can't remember if I had this beer before or after visiting Lagunitas, but all the same, it's a sassy and boozy brew, just in line with the brewery's branding (and pre-sale attitude.) Beautifully amber with just a slight haze from the chill, it has a high, bright and hoppy aroma. The flavor is sweet with rich hits of brown sugar and cinnamon and a light booziness, but the palate is light and very drinkable. This is a brew to approach with caution. Easy drinking and high ABV make for a potent concoction.

3.71/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

5/5/18: $1.66 12 oz bottle poured into chalice. Golden tan pour, light white head and lacing. Hops aroma offset by sweet fruit, mango, citrus and tangerine. Nice hops taste, completely balanced by sweet citrus and tangerine taste, sweeter than most IPAs. Carbonation holds, thin mouth feel, smooth drinking. Overall good offering.

3.84/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.84/5  rDev +12%

Picked up 2 6-packs from Curtis Liquors in Cohasset, MA. I've been working through a list of 20 beers that are supposed to be like Heady Topper. So far, NOTHING is like Heady Topper, but this is one damn good beer.

Looks mildly hazy. Once I took a sip it didn't last long enough for me to stare.

Smells very hopped and also has something sweet and tropical to it. Like pineapple or mango instead of citrusy things. Whatever it is, it all blends into a scent that makes the nostrils sing and not in the "Oy crap, I've got the Spanish flu" way.

Taste is just ridiculous. Out of this world. Take the sweet but thick pine scent and add brown bread but the real kind and not the stuff from a can soaked with syrup. You get a big hoppy nose, bit of fruit, and a smooth but slightly bitter twist and the flavor just stays the same the whole time. Spectacular.

Mouthfeel almost like a cream ale met an English bitters, called it a truce and invited their friend Witch Hazel out to play. Smooth and mildly astringent, so the taste buds don't get muddied up and the next one tastes as good as the last.

Overall superb. Need to get more, just as soon as I get through this case of Galaxy High by Madtree Brewing.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.68/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Let's keep this review nice & concise. Not all beers deserve long winded reviews. Lagunitas did do a SUCKY job on this IPA. The high 8% ABV is hidden well but the taste quality of an IPA is there. I have had several west coast IPA's that would put this to shame. NO DATE anywhere on the bottle to speak of. If you think this beer is A level OUTSTANDING you're smoking crack. Cheers! C- (70-74) score range

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It pours a nice medium orange color, with a soapy white head into a tulip glass. There was pretty good lacing left on the glass. This one is above average and worth a try.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Light amber, no haze.
Aroma: Malt with some fruity hops.
Taste: Dense, heavy. Fruity, raison aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Heavy. A bit cloy. Left coating.

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%