Lagunitas Sucks

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Lagunitas SucksLagunitas Sucks
Notes: This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
Reviews: 1,658 | Ratings: 10,446
3.34/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Fairly clear bright orange.

Nice white head; spotty lacing.

Marijuana & grapefruit nose.

Medium mouthfeel. Overly bitter taste here; no balance.

Drinkable but not great.

Picked-up a single bottle at Kappy's in Norwell as part of a mixed six-pack for about eleven dollars. No discernible bottled-on date. Have had many brews from these guys before. Solid brew.

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From notes 3/31/13: Pours a clear pale amber producing 3 fingers of billowy, foamy, off-whit, nicely lasting head that leaves nice rings and webs of lace. Aroma is bitter grapefruit heaven, light pine resin, rye spice, caramel, and tropical fruits with some lemon. Taste is similar with the caramel more distinct but wrapped in fruit layers of orange, pineapple and grapefruit backed up by hop and rye spice and a hint of pepper in the finish. Very Lagunitas style hoppiness. The hops have a fresh or "green" taste. There is a nicely lasting fruity but bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little heavy, slightly oily and slick it is also slightly creamy and very smooth. Very, very pleasant. I need more of this.

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This, feels like a good mixture of Sumpin' Ale + Brown Shugga. It has the sweetness of Brown Shugga alright, but it also has that rich smell of citrusness coming from the likes of Sumpin' Ale. For me it would be Sumpin Ale > This > Brown Shugga, but only by really close (0.1 point difference) range. Overall a great beer, didn't know Lagunitas was this great.

4.05/5  rDev -6.9%

[Original rating 2014-02-28] Pours clear gold/orange with a thick white head. Aroma is citrus, a little pine and straw. Taste is... well, think a little sumpin sumpin but a bit stronger, with more malt, a bit sweeter.

4.41/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 Oz Bottle poured into glass
Look - mostly clear, golden or light amber color, thick head of foam that slowly fades down and leaves lots of lacing
Smell - very floral and sweet. Aroma of malty biscuit, sugar grass, tropical sweet fruit, and various flowers
Taste - A very malt-forward beer with the hops in the background. Not as sweet tasting as the smell and that i believe is a good thing, i don't want it too sweet. Notes of citrus, pine resin, flowery herbs, sourdough bread, and grass. Alcohol is certainly picked up at the 8% ABV but i don't mind and i expect it to be present. Carbonation is medium and body is medium-full.

Overall, packs a flavor punch and i really like it. It tastes fresh and is well balanced. I could probably drink only one of these in a sitting, a decent dessert beer or along those lines. For those wondering how it compares to other Lagunitas beer, the only IPA i would prefer over this is Hop Stoopid. I give it a grade of A

4.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One sip of this and I immediately wished I had another bottle lined up (I didn't). Lemony, refreshing, light, clear, the color of apple juice. One bottle gave me a nice buzz. But why does Lagunitas Suck? I must find a source of sixpacks.

3.64/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Golden yellow in color; light bubbles along edges of glass, but not a lot of foam.
Citrus smell and hoppy; not overly pungent nor bitter smell.
Light taste with a sour note. Tastes good warm and cold; although, this beer would be quite enjoyable on a warm day with light summer food.

2.87/5  rDev -34%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tall Peroni galss. Beautiful amber color with a nice foamy head. Smells of spices and apple. Taste of apple and cinammon; very alcoholic taste. Light mouthfeel. Very much like a whiskey. Not half as good as my favorite 12th of Never. Interesting experiment, though.

3.77/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lot is 4/27(117 8) . Tried on 7/27. Just 3 Months old.
Well, I should try more newer one.
As I expected, my taste note is different from other comments.
Aroma in the beginning: Some orange and subtle.
1st sip: Fruit notes and moderate bitterness with molts notes.
But I can not say clear and crisp.
Will try again.

3.92/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Overall: a big, hoppy, quality DIPA. Feel and look are tops, but not as malty as I would have liked.

Looks great with a dark gold color, viscous skim head, and sticky lacing. Smell was packed with bright, citrusy hops. No particular graininess. Taste followed with bitter, rind-like hops upfront, in the middle, and in the finish. The malt character was hiding on this one. Great feel. A little sticky. Smooth.

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%

This is the most delicious beer I had in my life so far. I was sort of surprised at how well balanced this beer is. I couldn't believe this was an IPA because the bitterness wasn't very high because it was so well balanced.

The taste is high. I wondered how..did this guy achieve the low bitterness??? Maybe added sugar at the end??? Great beer. Will be buying Lagunitas continuously for life most likely (unless it's Heineken owners switch it to cheap low quality product)

2.94/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

When I poured an ice cold Lagunitas Sucks beer into my glass, I was excited to get to tasting. It’s look had a honey yellow hue. The smell was a delicious piney orange. But the problem is it just didn’t have much flavor. Yes the hops were tangy. But that’s about it. To me, it tasted like grapefruit juice mixed with water. It has a light feel to it, which is ok. I prefer full bodied, but wouldn’t necessarily discount a beer if the flavor was there. However, with this beer, lacking it’s flavor, I can’t give it high marks.

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

S A good odor to spend much time with. Nothing bad.
L Basically clear. Fizz from bottom appealing. Thick head looks great but lasts quite long.
T A true IPA.
F. Nice somewhat fizzy in mouth. Goes down smoothly with a fading beer taste lasting a bit.
O See all the above. Also, the 8% ABV is in my preferred range. This neither my first taste not my last.

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a pleasure to try (as I have been trying to get ahold of it for a while). Another quality offering from lagunitas with a bit of their classic twang that they seem to throw into every beer.
S: Light brown sugar smell at first finishing with a slight sweet, muffin like smell with a faint hoppiness at the tail end
L: Nearly the color of apple juice, but not quite light enough to see through. Cloudier than most give credit
T: Brown sugar up front with a biscuity flavor that carries through the middle while finishing with a piny, slightly spicy hoppy flavor. Goes down CRAZY smooth. Certainly an easy drinker for a hot day or even a day in the house.
F: This is an 8.. although it is an easy drinker, it is not to be taken lightly!
definitely a go-to for any IPA lover
Cheers

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm not big on IPAs but I do like Lagunita's A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. After trying that beer it made me want to try "Lagunitas Sucks".

The problem with IPAs is that they are too bitter (IBUs are too high). But Lagunitas is smart, they aren't trying to get into the IBU arms race that other beer companies have gotten into with their IPAs.

The key to their success is the fact that they are blending their hops with wheat and other backbones. It gives you a much smoother profile to the beer that is much easier on your palette. I think I like this beer even more than A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Very nicely brewed. Nice head on the beer, lacing, the smell and color is nice and the mouthfeel is just right. The flavor reminds me of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' but more refined and smoother.

Now my review might not be as accurate as possible because I did have my bottle in the cellar for awhile. According to the julian date stamp on my bottle it says: 075 6 which I believe means that was bottled on the 75th day of the year 2016. It is 6/8/18 today. LOL, my bottle is two years old. The moral of the story is that if it tastes this good after two years... maybe that's the way to drink this beer. It is so damn smooth but hoppy. I want to try a fresh one just to compare. I'm not sure I'd like a fresh one as much as I like one that's two years old. It ages very well.

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tall clear glass. Hazy, dark amber-golden color. Finger thick fluffy head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell is piney and citrusy upfront. Orange, pineapple, and grapefruit, other tropical hops, a caramel scent, other floral hops, resin, and sweet bread malt.

Much like the aroma. Hops and malts compete with each other. Pine and resin spicy hops that make up the body of the beer, followed by citrus and sweet flavors like pineapple, tangerine, mango, stone fruit, orange, caramel, and honey. Mildly bitter aftertaste. Feels smooth.

3.73/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

May 10th, 2015 - I can't remember if I had this beer before or after visiting Lagunitas, but all the same, it's a sassy and boozy brew, just in line with the brewery's branding (and pre-sale attitude.) Beautifully amber with just a slight haze from the chill, it has a high, bright and hoppy aroma. The flavor is sweet with rich hits of brown sugar and cinnamon and a light booziness, but the palate is light and very drinkable. This is a brew to approach with caution. Easy drinking and high ABV make for a potent concoction.

3.71/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

5/5/18: $1.66 12 oz bottle poured into chalice. Golden tan pour, light white head and lacing. Hops aroma offset by sweet fruit, mango, citrus and tangerine. Nice hops taste, completely balanced by sweet citrus and tangerine taste, sweeter than most IPAs. Carbonation holds, thin mouth feel, smooth drinking. Overall good offering.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up 2 6-packs from Curtis Liquors in Cohasset, MA. I've been working through a list of 20 beers that are supposed to be like Heady Topper. So far, NOTHING is like Heady Topper, but this is one damn good beer.

Looks mildly hazy. Once I took a sip it didn't last long enough for me to stare.

Smells very hopped and also has something sweet and tropical to it. Like pineapple or mango instead of citrusy things. Whatever it is, it all blends into a scent that makes the nostrils sing and not in the "Oy crap, I've got the Spanish flu" way.

Taste is just ridiculous. Out of this world. Take the sweet but thick pine scent and add brown bread but the real kind and not the stuff from a can soaked with syrup. You get a big hoppy nose, bit of fruit, and a smooth but slightly bitter twist and the flavor just stays the same the whole time. Spectacular.

Mouthfeel almost like a cream ale met an English bitters, called it a truce and invited their friend Witch Hazel out to play. Smooth and mildly astringent, so the taste buds don't get muddied up and the next one tastes as good as the last.

Overall superb. Need to get more, just as soon as I get through this case of Galaxy High by Madtree Brewing.

2.42/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Let's keep this review nice & concise. Not all beers deserve long winded reviews. The high 8% ABV is hidden well but the taste quality of an IPA is there. I have had several west coast IPA's that would put this to shame. NO DATE anywhere on the bottle to speak of. Your smoking crack if you think ale does not suck Cheers! C-

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It pours a nice medium orange color, with a soapy white head into a tulip glass. There was pretty good lacing left on the glass. This one is above average and worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Light amber, no haze.
Aroma: Malt with some fruity hops.
Taste: Dense, heavy. Fruity, raison aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Heavy. A bit cloy. Left coating.

2.34/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Light amber, clean and bright. One finger of white foam.
In the smell some malty notes, the citrus and tropical.
The taste is more heavy, too sweet.
Intense fruitiness in the aftertaste too, melon, yellow peach.
Quite heavy and boring.

3.6/5  rDev -17.2%

I like my beers cloudy but this one looks filthy. The smell doesnt tell you much. It has a good balance. Nothing is overpowering. It has a slight hoppiness with a clean finish. A poor substitute for BrownShugga, hence the name. It gets better as you go. It started as a 3 but might finish as a 4.

Lagunitas Sucks from Lagunitas Brewing Company