Lagunitas Sucks | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

#452

Ratings: 10,384 |  Reviews: 1,648
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

This is the most delicious beer I had in my life so far. I was sort of surprised at how well balanced this beer is. I couldn't believe this was an IPA because the bitterness wasn't very high because it was so well balanced.

The taste is high. I wondered how..did this guy achieve the low bitterness??? Maybe added sugar at the end??? Great beer. Will be buying Lagunitas continuously for life most likely (unless it's Heineken owners switch it to cheap low quality product)

2.94/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

When I poured an ice cold Lagunitas Sucks beer into my glass, I was excited to get to tasting. It’s look had a honey yellow hue. The smell was a delicious piney orange. But the problem is it just didn’t have much flavor. Yes the hops were tangy. But that’s about it. To me, it tasted like grapefruit juice mixed with water. It has a light feel to it, which is ok. I prefer full bodied, but wouldn’t necessarily discount a beer if the flavor was there. However, with this beer, lacking it’s flavor, I can’t give it high marks.

4.07/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

S A good odor to spend much time with. Nothing bad.
L Basically clear. Fizz from bottom appealing. Thick head looks great but lasts quite long.
T A true IPA.
F. Nice somewhat fizzy in mouth. Goes down smoothly with a fading beer taste lasting a bit.
O See all the above. Also, the 8% ABV is in my preferred range. This neither my first taste not my last.

4.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a pleasure to try (as I have been trying to get ahold of it for a while). Another quality offering from lagunitas with a bit of their classic twang that they seem to throw into every beer.
S: Light brown sugar smell at first finishing with a slight sweet, muffin like smell with a faint hoppiness at the tail end
L: Nearly the color of apple juice, but not quite light enough to see through. Cloudier than most give credit
T: Brown sugar up front with a biscuity flavor that carries through the middle while finishing with a piny, slightly spicy hoppy flavor. Goes down CRAZY smooth. Certainly an easy drinker for a hot day or even a day in the house.
F: This is an 8.. although it is an easy drinker, it is not to be taken lightly!
definitely a go-to for any IPA lover
Cheers

4.01/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm not big on IPAs but I do like Lagunita's A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. After trying that beer it made me want to try "Lagunitas Sucks".

The problem with IPAs is that they are too bitter (IBUs are too high). But Lagunitas is smart, they aren't trying to get into the IBU arms race that other beer companies have gotten into with their IPAs.

The key to their success is the fact that they are blending their hops with wheat and other backbones. It gives you a much smoother profile to the beer that is much easier on your palette. I think I like this beer even more than A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Very nicely brewed. Nice head on the beer, lacing, the smell and color is nice and the mouthfeel is just right. The flavor reminds me of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' but more refined and smoother.

Now my review might not be as accurate as possible because I did have my bottle in the cellar for awhile. According to the julian date stamp on my bottle it says: 075 6 which I believe means that was bottled on the 75th day of the year 2016. It is 6/8/18 today. LOL, my bottle is two years old. The moral of the story is that if it tastes this good after two years... maybe that's the way to drink this beer. It is so damn smooth but hoppy. I want to try a fresh one just to compare. I'm not sure I'd like a fresh one as much as I like one that's two years old. It ages very well.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tall clear glass. Hazy, dark amber-golden color. Finger thick fluffy head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell is piney and citrusy upfront. Orange, pineapple, and grapefruit, other tropical hops, a caramel scent, other floral hops, resin, and sweet bread malt.

Much like the aroma. Hops and malts compete with each other. Pine and resin spicy hops that make up the body of the beer, followed by citrus and sweet flavors like pineapple, tangerine, mango, stone fruit, orange, caramel, and honey. Mildly bitter aftertaste. Feels smooth.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Lagunitas. Yummers.

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

May 10th, 2015 - I can't remember if I had this beer before or after visiting Lagunitas, but all the same, it's a sassy and boozy brew, just in line with the brewery's branding (and pre-sale attitude.) Beautifully amber with just a slight haze from the chill, it has a high, bright and hoppy aroma. The flavor is sweet with rich hits of brown sugar and cinnamon and a light booziness, but the palate is light and very drinkable. This is a brew to approach with caution. Easy drinking and high ABV make for a potent concoction.

3.71/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

5/5/18: $1.66 12 oz bottle poured into chalice. Golden tan pour, light white head and lacing. Hops aroma offset by sweet fruit, mango, citrus and tangerine. Nice hops taste, completely balanced by sweet citrus and tangerine taste, sweeter than most IPAs. Carbonation holds, thin mouth feel, smooth drinking. Overall good offering.

3.84/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Lagunitas Sucks from Lagunitas Brewing Company