Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,605 | Ratings: 10,208
4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice hazy brew. Actually loving the scent of this , its big with sweet orange and tropical fruits. I like the flavor of this too. It's a caramel flavored take on an IPA that I can handle with sweet malt citrus at the start and a medium bitter hop finish. Flavors blend well and it's decently complex. Creamy and medium at least in mouthfeel.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty DIPA but it isn't like any other DIPA I've ever tasted. It has a sweet brown sugar and caramel flavor that I love. Also plenty of malt and slight hop bitterness, but the bitterness isn't too apparent for a DIPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip style pint glass.

Two fingers of off white lasting head with thick lacing cover a slightly hazy amber pour. Hoppy aromas, mostly citrus, particularly grapefruit and pineapple with biscuit malt. Taste follows suit with good hop bitterness to the finish. Slightly creamy and medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall a good DIPA. Tasty and refreshing. Recommended!

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I can't believe some of the reviews of this beer. I guess since it is labeled an imperial IPA, the snobs write the review based on that?

To me it doesn't taste like anything I have had before and that is a GOOD thing. Such a clean mouth feel, no bitter hop explosion like most "Imperial IPA's. I wouldn't classify it as that. It is a unique beer with it's own classification and it is a GOOD one.

Will be buying again, and frequently.

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pours a clear golden orange color with a one finger, off white head of foam that laces the glass well.

Aroma: Clementine, tangerine, grapefruit, sticky pine resin, honey and a touch of mango.

Taste: Malty. Slightly tropical with a subtle bitterness. . . I'm getting restrained notes of spicy pine sap upfront that quickly transitions into flavors of brown sugar, sugar cookies, honey and caramel. There are also notes of sweet tropical fruits like pineapple, tangerine, mango and orange.

Feel: Full bodied with low carbonation. Creamy. Sweet throughout, somewhat spicy.

Overall: This is classified as an Imperial IPA but it drinks like a strong Amber Ale. . . It's so malty and sweet I don't really know if my bottle is just old or if the beer is intended to taste like this. Not bad but not great. Malt driven flavors backed up by subtle spicy notes of hops and notes of juicy tropical fruit. Not sure if I would buy this again, or if I would call it an Imperial IPA.

Edit: Lmao. . . I guess I hurt the reviewer above my posts feelings since he's insinuating that because I didn't fall head over heels for a beer he likes it makes me a ""beer snob"" . . . Never said this is a shitty beer, but oh well, what can I say? My opinion stands, this really isn't that great of an Imperial IPA in my opinion.

And yes person I am talking about; for the record, I do write my reviews based on what style the brewery categorizes the beer under. . . if it's labeled double IPA I expect it to be bitter not sweet.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drinking this one as I write. Light head and light copper color when poured with little carbonation/bubbles coming up from the glass. Hoppy smell and taste, but a nice touch of malts on top. This has a fairly bitter taste moreover with a high IBU content. I did not like this too much the last time I tried it but I have become more of a hop head as I try new beers. Also for a world class rating for this site, it's a nice deal at $8.50 a six pack compared to other world classers, if you can get them, at over $12.00.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

The most noticeable thing about this beer, aside from it being very drinkable (in a very slow way), is the bubble gum after-taste I get. Like the Bazooka kind of bubble gum.

This beer has a gentle mouth feel, the hops don't really exert themselves in this one, and that's a good thing. It's a great cooler-weather beer. I'm personally not a big fan of hop-explosions, so this was a good beer for me.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

quick and dirty review..

piney, citrus-y, slight malty-suger sweetness. very very well balanced. drinks easy, with a mild chewy-ness mouth feel. looks beautiful in a tulip glass.

great beer....get some.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This is what I would call a light IPA. Though it's not an IPA it gives you the crispy fruity hops and just the right amount malt . This beer is golden with a soft bitter citrusy after taste. This beer is dangerous as at 8% ABV it will creep up on you. A soft pine earthy aroma with a light yet fluffy head ,that gives it a nice smooth fizz.
On a scale of 1 to 10 this beer is a solid 9.5 so far the best beer I've had in 2016

3.09/5  rDev -28.3%

01/30/2014

Pretty good. This does not suck, but I don't understand how it has become so beloved. I prefer the original Brown Shugga.

AROMA: Pine, wood, sap.
LOOK: Clear yellow. Small white head.
TASTE: Hoppy, pine, bitter resin. Lots of flavor, but not necessarily good flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

FULL DISCLOSURE: I do not appear to be an IPA, or even pale ale fan. Ok. This is a just fine, drinkable IPA for those that like IPAs. But, it is borderline false advertising to even reference brown shugg. that is a wonderful, but different drink. This and that are the not the same AT ALL. The only connection is, they did not have the ingredients to make an amber ale, so they made a pale. ? Brown shugga is awesome. If you like Pales, listen to the other guys that like this. I drank this as the second beer after I drank a dark beer that I actually like. Rating is in protest.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at Taco Mac in Atlanta. The appearance is a clear bright orange color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is hop driven. The taste is hops and tropical fruit. An outstanding beer.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Picked up a 6 pack from the LCBO for about $16 CDN. Served cold into a chalice. This rendition advertised as 8% ABV.

Appearance - Pours a bright, light orange colored beer with two thirds of a finger of white head. Medium retention and some curtains of lace left around the edges of the glass. Greta clarity and prevalent carbonation in the beer.

Smell - Mango with some citrus hops, little bits of grapefruit and pineapple. Some cereal grains for balance, much more so than many a DIPA.

Taste - Light with mango, grapefruit and some pineapple. Lots of grains too for balance and a light caramel malt. Doesn't wow me, but drinakbility is huge.

mouthfeel - Slightly drying finish, booze is hidden wonderfully and probably one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had.

Overall - Overrated in terms of flavor, but underrated in terms of easy this is to drink especially for an 8% ABV beer. Really good stuff and worth a try. Certainly looking forward to buying another 6 pack, while in stock as this is dangerously easy to drink. Definitely doesn't suck.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden yellow with rich foamy head and good lacing. Smells of oat, hops, fruit and a little dank. The taste is wonderful, lots of fruits bursting in, hops, oat, dank notes, pine. The finish is light and clean, really nice beer. The bite is very mild and light dryness. Overall this beer is great all around, it is just perfect with regard to taste and strength. Pretty awesome.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Dude. "Cereal Medley" is right. I'm a sucker for the scent of grainy wort, and for a friggin Double IPA, this has all the oatmealy goodness you'd catch walking by a brewery during the early morning phases of a day's first batch. All the breadiness of the nose interplays with juicy, citrusy hops that pucker more than bitter. If that makes sense. No? Yeah, didn't think so. Anyway, the taste follows the aroma. A great intermingle of cereal grains and bright, grassy hops. I want to pat these guys on the shoulder, reassuring that they're probably being too hard on themselves. Wink Wink. Lagunitas may suck, but this beer certainly does not.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very clear dark amber with a large head that quickly reduces to a half-inch foam with nice lacing. Aroma is a hop slap on the face. Intense pine, citrus and some dank. Taste is very similar, with the bitterness being balanced by some nice malt sweetness. Very well balanced despite the strong hop profile. This is a seriously fun DIPA, as long as you got it fresh.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer fresh and probably would have rated higher a couple years ago. First off I think the price of this beer is awesome for what you get. This is just any all around good IPA at a good price and it don't Suck!

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear brass with a foamy, long lasting head. Tons of lace chunks stick to the glass on the way down. Grapefruit, peach and tropical fruit hop notes abound in the nose, balanced by caramel cookie dough maltiness. The first sip reveals plenty of hop bitterness and fruity, citrusy hop flavors. A hefty malt profile keeps everything in check, and renders this beer less dry than most DIPAs. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a subtle, creamy carbonation. Medium bitterness, grapefruit rind and green tea mix with a bit of alcohol spice and some residual sweetness in the finish.

A very quaffable DIPA with dank, complex hoppiness and a huge malt profile. Balanced and very quaffable for the high abv. A must try.

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Was tricked by the branding - assumed this was from a small competitor to Lagunitas but turns out it is from the brewery itself. Not surprised it is pretty decent given the brewery's pedigree. Strength is well masked (doesn't feel like 7.8%) but hop flavour is somewhat uninspiring.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz stubby into a wine glass
L: Amber with the slightest bit of haze, very thick, sticky head
S: Fruity and alcoholic, with the hint of cannabis you expect from Lagunitas
T: Very sweet. The fruitiness of the hops plays around with some esters from the quirky yeast
F: Extremely smooth and creamy. The extra grains really thicken it up.
O: This is a really interesting beer. It's definitely a departure from the typical DIPA, and those disturbed by the monotony of that genre may find this of interest. Personally I found that I really liked the first pack I had, but after a few encounters it became tiring. It's a lot to handle in a beer, and is probably best saved for special occasions.

4.61/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Hazy pale gold color. 2-finger head and great head retention. Some bubbles continue to cascade upward, but not that reactive.

Smell: Sweet, buttery, malty, and fruity. Like tart fruit and citrus. Very floral.

Taste: Only a tad bit of hop bitterness at first. You then get a BLAST of malt and caramel sweetness. This has that nice sweet and savory flavor that I can only describe as "buttery". The sweetness hangs on for quite some time before drying out only slightly. As the sweet caramel fades, you have an aftertaste of biscuits, crackers, slightly smoked wood, and flowers.

Feel: Medium bodied beer. Feels fuller than I expected. Stays fairly fizzy the entire journey through.

Overall: Awesome beer. I was not expecting this to be so flavorful. It is right at that fine line between a Pale Ale and an IPA. Tastes like caramel and I occasionally got some chocolate hints, which is uncommon for a pale brew. Bought this as a single, but will be looking a 6-pack next.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rushed out like a mad man when I read online that this was available at the LCBO, here in Toronto. Couldn't wait to open it and then....thud. What? I mean this is drinkable....has a nice barley taste, albeit a bit dry, but why on earth is this so highly rated? IPA it is not, the nose is foul and just an overall lack of something(s) make this a beer you know....meh to drink....but definitely not seek out. Someone said the nose was: pine, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple. Here is me telling you that it is NONE of those things.

2.28/5  rDev -47.1%

Orange golden look, some piney citrus notes, was hoping for brown color due to name. Good on a rainy day but flavor does not compare to the many amazing IPA beers in existence. Would never but this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

35cl bottle at De Paas. Clear pale orange with no head. Pine resin, caramel, grapefruit, citrus hops and subtle tropical fruit. Medium body, low to zero carbonation and a bitter-sweet aftertaste.

3.44/5  rDev -20.2%

Man, I'm a virgin to this sight, being a creeper for some time, but unless I've caught a bad bottle (mixed 6) this beer is a non plus to me. It has a hoppy/malt mix that seems to work against one another, giving it a sort of astringent taste. Again, maybe I caught a bad bottle, but I don't think so. I would not buy this beer again.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company