Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

lagunitas.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,235 |  Reviews: 1,611

My new favorite brew...this is a superbly superior libation...

On my second case of this awesome hoppy creation from Lagunitas...glad they distribute to my area in central PA....

A - nearly clear golden orange hue...creamy 1/2 inch head that fades but leaves lacing around the edges all day...

S - A beautiful bouquet of tropical fruits, pine, citrus peel, and a hint of sweet cereal grains...awesome!

T - Juicy resiny hoppiness with enough malt character to keep things in check...so balanced and easy to drink for the higher abv...its scary-good!

M - Smooth and creamy, light carbonation, almost cask-like...medium bodied but not too syrupy just the right amount..

Overall - A great beer yet again from Lagunitas...I love nearly everything I've had from their line-up. I'm a fan and you will be too...this is one of the best IPAs/DIPAs in the WORLD! Get some! Cheers!

Now this, my friends, is an IPA!!!

Don't know what's better, the aroma or the taste. Either way, perfect 10/10 in my book. This is the juiciest IPA of them all. Aroma, I get tons of tangerine, mango, and loads of pineapple. It smells so damn sweet and a little tangy, super funky attitude on the aroma!! I would wear this as cologne. The taste is... It's like a fruitsnack turned to liquid. Absolutely phenomenal. Not overly sweet, perfect amount of bitter, not much bitter at all with all the complexity of a great IPA. I wish I could have this beer every day. It is a MUST try.

I know you beer snobs look down on those who age IPAs, but I'm going to age this one, along with every other IPA i've had. I'll tell you what, if you love beers, specifically IPAs, you would do the same. Not necessarily because you're looking to improve the beer, but because you are trying to deconstruct it in a way. Remove some of the hops that delightfully highlight the beer, and focus on the underlying tones that supplement those fresh hops. When I tried heady topper with a year of age, it honestly tasted so much better without the distraction of the intense bitterness on a 2 day-old batch. I say, if it has at least 8% abv, age it regardless of what class beer it is.

This beer is great. Love the story on the bottle and box.

A. Good looking beer. About a finger and a half of head. About the color of honey.

S. Can smell the alcohol. Pine along with citrus fruits.

T. Some grapefruit, pine, I can really taste the alcohol as the beer warms up.

M. A little thicker. Kinda sticks to your mouth a little bit.

Overall. I like this beer a lot. Something I could drink more than one of. Glad I picked up a 6 pack of this. Money well spent.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company