Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,600 | Ratings: 10,199
4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Lagunita Sucks. Bottle into Unibroue glass on Dec 10, 2011.

Appearance: 3.5
Clear golden yellow boady with thin white head, moderate lacing.

Smell: 4.5
Amazing dominate citrus qualities. Oranges, a little bit of lemon in the nose, tons of Grapefruit. Malt provides a slight sweetness to contrast strong aromatic hops.

Taste: 4.5
Starts with a combination of soft tropical flavours similar to the aroma, plus a moderate bitterness. Soft crystal malt adds nice sweetness. Finishes with a mild to moderate lingering bitterness and faint presence of citrus still detectable. Very tasty, but tends to be only citrus elements, but no significant pine in the hop profile. However, this is not a problem as the beer has such a delicious flavour to match its amazing aroma.

Mouthfeel: 4
Mild to moderate carbonation with a soft creaminess. Middle of the road sweetness/dryness with some astringency from the hops.

Overall: 4.5
Lives up to the hype. A great citrus forward IPA. For me, it has a lot of the characteristics I like in an IPA. A touch one dimensional in the hops profil, and the hops aren’t really enamel stripping. That being said, I find it incredibly easy to drink and I wish I could have it year round.
Must try, if fresh!

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This brew pours a clear straw color which you can see clear through. There is a light 1/2 finger head which is a foamy white color. Moderate lacing on the glass and lots of carbonation.

The smell is strong with pine, melon, grapefruit, tobacco and sweet malts.

The taste follows the nose with each hop taste hitting the palate in succession with the sweet malt backbone ever present. Lagunitas did a great job of blending everything together.

The mouthfeel is smooth and tangy. There is some piney hop residue left on the tongue after swallowing.

Overall this is another winner from Lagunitas. This is a DIPA which is almost sessionable. All of the tastes and smells blend together well. Try it.

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this recently over Christmas out of town when I might have been starting a cold (it might have been an older bottle, as well), and was disappointed. I had it last year and seemed to recall enjoying it pretty well, but the beer I had this year just didn't do it for me.

I had already bought a bottle back home and cracked it today. I must say I am happy that the beer was considerably more enjoyable than the one I had over vacation. The appearance was nice with sustaining head, lacing, and a dark golden color. The smell was a wonderful pine-heavy citrus semi-sweet smell.

The taste is lighter on the pine than the smell (good), and has a typical Lagunitas sweet start, a little on the orange-citrus side. There is also decent carbonation to play on the tongue. The pine is present early, and grows into the dry feel at the end. Also reminiscent of what I like from what I get from Lagunitas is that the sweetness (pineapple) also maintains a presence into the later tastes.

I am happy I had another chance at this beer so I didn't write it off with one less-than-impressive experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As soon as this is opened, floral hops and citrus explode onto the scene. Dig my nose in and get delicious whafts of papaya and weed mon.

Tastes of grapefruit rind, cracker-crust middle, finishing off with floral hops, bong resin and pine. A lot going on here (wowwy) and yet, maintains its complexity. Extremely well-balanced with the malts--one of the best in it's class.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet with a dry hop finish on the back of the tongue. You'll want more.

Love this shit!!!! IMO, this hop profile is askew from the rest of their lineup which I think tends to be harsh. What makes this so great is the fact it's in six-packs at an affordable price. I'll stand this right up there with FFF ZD anyday. This is masterfully constructed and super easy to drink. As they say "Doggone good".

Bottle into snifter

Appearance - Hazy, golden yellow, honey like color, 2 finger white head that settles quickly leaving a some lace before you take the first sip. Not only does it wrap around the glass but stretches almost the entire top of the beer. Lacing is on the heavy side.

Smell - Immediate rush of juicy grapefruit, floral piny notes, orange, some sweet citrus like mango and pineapple.

Taste - Hops, juicy yet spicy citrus, grapefruit, mango towards the beginning of the taste. Middle has a roasted malt like flavor that is also slightly sweet like honey or brown sugar, alcohol towards the end is not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation, full body, smooth and refreshing. Sticky on the tongue.

Overall - First time I've ever had this one and I enjoyed it. Upon just opening the bottle you notice the citrusy aromas that make IPAs irresistible. From the way it looks to its complex flavor profile you won't be let down. I will look for this again when the time is right. Thanks for reading.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another "go-to" IPA. I like to keep this one stocked in the fridge. Lagunitas has a particular taste that comes through on this beauty. Citrusy, very slight malt, with a decent aroma. Good beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish head tulip. No bottle date.

Pours a clear, dark gold/light copper with 1 finger beige head. Modest carbonation and retains a thin skim of foam. Very nice lacing.

Hoppy. Resiny. Citrus. Sweet. Smells like an IPA; what else can I say. As it warms, smell a little alcohol.

Lightly sweet, Crackery arrival. Gobs of fruitiness mid-palate. Very firm but not overpowering bitterness on the finish. No alcohol whatsoever on the palate. Scary at 8%!

Light fluffy feel, perfect carbonation. Not slick, crisp. The essence of an IPA in my mind's eye (tongue)?

Overall: Very clean, balanced and refreshing. Most definitely just earned a spot in my rotation. A must-try.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

The color isn't anything special… looks pretty yellow, like a michelob. Smells nice. Already getting a little citrus on the nose. Man, this thing tastes great. It's like lemon cake with a bite… A pilsner style bitterness on the finish. Nice hop balance. Fine carbonation really buzzes in the mouth. Exceptional beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Im a big fan of most Lagunitas stuff. This is definitely my favorite. Picked up a six pack on Friday and it was gone by sunday night. Beautiful color on this beer. Great Hoppy taste. In one word I would describe it as "clean". I know that sounds kind of weird, but it was a very clean Hoppy IPA taste to me. Almost a perfected taste if you will. I will be picking up more of this and keeping it for the summer. I can just picture myself drinking a lot of these Ice Cold on my back deck in the blazing sun. Thank you Lagunitas!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

UPDATE
12/11/2015
How is it possible to forget how much I love this stuff. It's

------
A bright yellow pour into a tulip glass, with a tall bright white head, good retention, and clingy lacing.

Fruity! I love this aroma, which brings lemon juice and orange zest, plus a bit of pineapple. Seriously juicy. But also a fair amount of bread and grain blunt the citrus. The end effect: Creamsicle!

In the mouth the aroma gets transcribed with perfect pitch, remarkably matching the flavors on the palette. Navel orange, lemon, and grapefruit. The hops are all juicy citrus. Some bread and biscuit push back a little on the bitter citrus, though the fruity sweetness doesn't require that much balancing. Can't really separate flavors on the front end from those on the back end. Seems the same throughout.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with smooth carbonation. The finish is dry, white grapefruit bitterness.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A lovely dIPA from the knee-tas.

Pours a light color golden, nice foamy white head. Would like to see more rock and lacing for higher score, but still looks really good

Aroma is hops. Mango, white pepper, green grass, grapefruit (mostly), persimmon. Some pine
Booze in the back end

Malt didn't come through in the nose, and it struggles in the taste. But it is there. Light biscuit and sweet bread. They take a pounding though from the hops. While just shy of resiny, the hops dominate. Still, they seem light. The brightness of the grapefruit and mango lift up the more earthy flavors just a bit. They hit right of the bat and power throughout the gulp.

Nice bite on the end. A touch of booze, but otherwise very drinkable.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours with a ½ inch of off- white foam that is very bubbly, the foam dissipates rather quickly, leaving an off-white bubbly lacing at the surface. The beer is a translucent golden amber color. With drinking it leaves the off-white foam on the edge of the glass.

Smell: Pleasant hoppy citrus aroma of tropical fruits, grapefruit, and a hint of lemon grass.

Taste: Surprisingly mild first taste, not as bitter as expected. The citrus flavors definitely are evident along with a hint of the lemon grass I smelled before, or maybe that’s pine. As the flavors come forth I mainly notice the fruity flavor of grapefruit which adds sweetness.

Mouthfeel: My first thought is this beer is thick and creamy for what appears to be a light beer. It has a pleasant crisp finish and a very mild aftertaste of the citrus. It has a nice light carbonation level, which doesn’t overpower the creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: For an imperial IPA I was expecting maybe slightly more bitterness and the flavors to be more robust; however, I still enjoyed it immensely. The appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel all seemed to be cohesive and meld together nicely. For as sucky as you expect this beer to be, all you want to do is have another glass.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Gonna be a short one from a 12 oz bottle...

This is Lagunitas' Lil' Sumpin Ale with a sweet kick to it. Not really my thing, but they nailed the goal of what they were looking to accomplish. I'm going East Coast vs West Coast on this with Founder's vs Lagunitas. This is what AB vs Miller should have been.

A: Light Gold -Interesting

S: Hints of pine and almost sweet

T: Wonderful with a nice bite at the end

M: Wonderful Medium moutheel with nice carbonation

O: Had stayed away from this because it has sucks in title but its some really good stuff. Glad I was able to get somemore.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip.

Pours a transparent golden color. Solid, white two finger head. Appears to have low to medium carbonation. Gobs of lacing attach to the sides of the glass.

Very hop forward beer. Tropical fruits abound, while there are some citrus hops as well. Behind the hop-goodness seems to be a good malt backbone with some sweetness.

Taste matches the aroma pretty well, except there seems to be more of a presence of pine hops with citrus and tropical fruits taking a back seat, although still prevalent. Get more of a distinctive pineapple flavor. The hops jump out right up front, while the sweet malt comes in second and nicely balances the hops out. There is a lingering bitterness throughout and it finishes bitter and sweet.

Good medium body and just under medium carbonation.

Great beer. They should make this again. Reminds me of hop stoopid for some reason. Maybe they use a certain type of hop... Love the sticky, tropical hops they use. Didn't want to rate it so high, I just can't find anything wrong with it. Lagunitas doesn't suck.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass

A: Nice thick, white head that stays forever with all the carbonation, fine golden color, lots of lacing

S: Pine and citrus hops, pleasant

T: Grapefruit, pine, malts come through a little, hoppy and enjoyable

M: Good carbonation, bitter, a little more resiny/thicker than some IIPA's

O: Well above average, quality Double IPA, I'll probably go see if I can get another sixer to share some

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've over looked this Gem on more than one occasion....shame on me! Poured a golden, hazy orange into a tulip glass. Aroma was sweet, floral with some light pine. Taste follows the nose, sweet & floral with a very subtle malt back bone.
An automatic placement in my top 10 IIPA's. Well done Lagunitas!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful, snow-white, 3-finger head with incredible retention and fluffy lacing. Brew is copper and straw, transparent, and incredibly lively and bubbly up the middle.

Light grapefruit and strong floral aroma, with a hint of brown sugar or caramel malt in the background. Some honey, and a faint whiff of that cat pee aroma. Tons, tons of hops.

Hops are a little brighter and greener than the aroma indicates, fairly resinous, somewhat flowery and dank. Most of the sweetness comes across in the malt, a little bit of honey, some brown sugar, rye, pepper, and grain. There's really a wide range to the hop profile, and it's fantastic.

Very lively, a bit of carbonation sting, solid medium bodied beer. Sticky retention. Slightly creamy.

This is a very good and solid DIPA. There's just a slight bite to the taste and the mouthfeel that keeps it from being on the level with Heady. There seems to be some inconsistency as well; the last several times I have had Sucks, it was worlds different - and better - than the first couple times.

I don't know if Sucks is really as worthy as the hype implies, but it's certainly a very, very good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a bit lighter and crisper than expected. The frothy white head doesn't stick around for long. Hops completely dominate the aroma. Yeah, a double IPA for sure. Hop oils assault the palate. Grapefruit and pine, mostly. Hint of heat from the 7.8% ABV. Rye comes through a bit in the finish. But this is all about the hops. Surprisingly, it's only 65 IBUs. Thought this would push closer to 100.

Hop heads, get it!

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues along with a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high dense white head that has excellent retention properties and took a very long time to die down, consistently leaving a short head covering the surface and lots of lacy rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of citrusy hops are present in the nose—tangerines and grapefruit seem to stand out in particular.
T: Like the smell, the taste is very citrusy and also has prominent flavors of tropical fruits in the form of mangoes. A light to moderate amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is extremely drinkable, especially since the bitterness is subdued compared to other beers in the style and no traces of alcohol are present in the taste. It's packed with so many flavors of mangoes and citrus that I feel like I am getting 100 percent of my recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a brandy snifter

Pours a golden orange with a foamy 1 finger head that disappears to a thin sticky lace around the top of the beer. On the nose, your senses get attacked! Big piny hops, over-ripen citrus fruits, mango, tangerine, grapefruit. Sticky tobacco and marijuana scents in midst of the fruit. Again on the taste, sticky grapefruit, citrus hops, sticky and murky with a feverishly bitter aftertaste that just absolutely hits the spot, wow! Light to medium on the feel and body, bitter, deliciously drinkable, not much malt backbone as noted by other reviewers. This beer is fucking awesome! Make more of this shit and send it my way, im more than fine with having this over BS anyday, superior IPA.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I guess I need to confess that I like lagunitas beers. Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Nice two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Golden color.

Smell is lagunitas standard. Pineapple? Sirupy hops with lots of sweetness. Orange rind with grapefruit.

Taste follows the nose with a nice sweet hoppiness to start, bitter hops in the middle with sweet hop to finish. Tastes like a combination of a little sumpin' sumpin' and brown shugga light. Since I like both beers I like this one.

Mouthfeel is normal double ipa. Good carbonation with a slight hop resin slickness.

Overall a really good double ipa. It's pretty much what I expected given the name and my familiarity with lagunitas.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a nice fluffy 1/2 finger head that fades semi slow and reinforced by the many bubbles rising up, with a bit of lacing, over crystal clear pale pilsner tan colored beer.

Nose explodes with citrus and tropical fruit, a light musty fresh wet hop resinous aroma as well, tons of passion fruit right off the bat, also brings mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of grapefruit and tangerine, wow! This nose in incredible!!! Oh yeah, the slightest hint of a malt base somewhere in there holding up the huge fresh tropical fruit hop explosion.

Taste comes on nicely as well, fresh tropical fruit right off. Fairly light on malts with just enough sweetness to deliver the hop profile, which is surprising for being 7.85%. Juicy fruits explode out of the gate, layers of pineapple, grapefruit, mango, passion fruit, again similar descriptors but that's what it is. A hint of citrus tangerine juicy fruit, and a very light resinous fresh wet hop like taste. On the back end I even get a slight mint. The fruit isn't as pronounced as the nose had, and the bitterness creeps up to slightly overpower the fresh fruit, as well as the musty resinous flavor which starts to dominate as it sits in my mouth and warms. The lack of malt seems to let the hops fall a little out of reach despite being so juicy fruit. A hint of warming booze in there as well. If there was a touch more malts I think this would have jumped up a notch as it would have given way for the palate to balance the bitterness and resinous flavors. As it finishes it's pretty dry with lingering mint and tropical fruit hops, decent bitterness, but mostly clean.

Mouth is med bodied but feels a bit flat as I was expecting a slight more malt to balance the hops, but good carbonation.

Overall great but just missing some balance. The tropical fruit aromas are phenomenal, and the flavor comes out great at first, but without the malts to balance the bitterness and resinous flavors start to come through a bit too much and drown out the great fruits.

971st Review on BA
Bottle to Piraat Tulip
12 oz stubby

2011
Purchased a six pack from Mira Loma, Bevmo

App- A very clear golden orange with a good one finger white capped head. Not a big streaker of head or cling. A few whisps of bubbles on the top.

Smell- "Is there Mango in there, asks my wife" Three feet away from me on the couch. A lot of aromatics in this one from tropical fruits. Its mango, pineapple, citrus and a little bit of bitter and balanced by some mild malts.

Taste- I really liked this beer. It was right down the middle of the IPA profile I enjoy. It had great citrus flavors with a good backing malt. The citrus is more tropical as the nose suggested. A little bitter and pepper balance this taste out. It was a bit like mixing Sculpin, Pliny and Just Outstanding to create this one. For a almost 8% beer this damn thing was super drinkable.

Mouth- A great bit of a medium body with nice citrus and creamy malt residual flavors. The carbonation is very bubbly for the ABV and the profile.

Drink- It's very good. It wasnt mind-blowing but I really enjoyed the layers from the tropical to the malt profile to the low bitter level. I will be for sure drinking the rest of these alone with the shades drawn. My neighbors can't know I have this.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Enjoyed on-tap @ the International Tap House in Chesterfield, MO during the Black Friday "iTap Style" Event for $5. Tapped from the White Tap Handle that has a Santa Claus Blown up looking like a Star & "Sucks HOLIDAY ALE" above him into a 12oz Boulevard SmokeStack Series Tulip Glass.

Aroma- Has the freshest and most unbelievable piney and citrus infused hop aroma possible! Very sweet background also but this hop aroma couldn't get any better!

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger head that has average retention time. Has a nice orange colored body that has very good clarity. Leaves thick lacing behind.

Flavor- Has a fantastic hop flavor that is pure citrus and a bit of pine. There is a medium hop bitterness that is well blended with sweetness. Has a very clean finish to it.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, and has a great citrus all the way through. Not much hop is left on the palate but not a problem.

Overall Impression- A top A-IPA I've had in a long while! The hop aroma was so great, I could order this brew and just promote it on the basis of the aroma! The taste and mouthfeel were fantastic too with its big time citrus flavors. Enjoyed greatly and ready to have again!

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company