Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,576 | Ratings: 10,114

Bomber poured into an antique German Pilsner glass

Golden orange, clear, stream of carbonation, dense white cap quickly subsides with good lacings

Aroma of citrus and pine

Bitterness on the middle of the tongue and sides of the mouth. Bit of spice. But of citrus.

It has bitterness but is very smooth. Almost creamy. A lingering bitterness in taste but isn't sharp.

Very good, interesting beer. I like it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An interesting beer. It tastes really good but the body is a little light in my opinion. Looks great in the sunlight. Would be a outstanding beer on a warm summer day.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 8.4.14: Unknown. Drank 12.7.14. Poured from a 32oz bottle to a red wine glass.

A: Golden honey, bright yet hazy, one finger of striking, sticky off white head. Fades to a high collar and a few bubbly islands set adrift.

S: Dank pine, juicy hop oil, marmalade, flowery, tropical with notes of passion fruit, grapefruit, and strong citrus zest.

T: Herbal, strong bitter orange peel, luscious passion fruit, pineapple, and dank pine.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation. Sprightly, bright, lingers long after taste. Chewy, with minimal alcohol burn.

O: Tropical fruit bomb with incredible, room filling aromatics. So glad this now comes year round in sixers.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Can anything good come from California? Apparently so. The Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale is a delightful winter warmer. Nice head, lacing and color (amber with tiny tiny bubbles, Good natual carboation always imbues tiny bubbles versus the big obnoxious bubbles). The smell is tempting like dessert after a good steak. the taste is sweet, like bananas and horehound candy...not sickeningly sweet...just alluringly so. Hop-sense is balanced. The mouthfeel is complete and satisfying, like french kissing for the first time. Overall...a VERY satisfying ale. WAY better than I expected. Don't get your nose up in the air though...the Northwest micros still rule.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle bought at Broadway Liquors in Oakland

First, the bottle. The bottle, the bottle, the bottle. Just, so big, so protruding, so LOUD, it makes a ruckus in the cooler, just sitting there, pushing all its scrawny neighbors aside. Quart 'o beer.

Hits the glass bright and golden, a range of yellows, nice frothy head. Smells incredible. It's that note of floral and fruit that surprises. Tastes sweet and thick, citrus, along with the usual IPA profiles, and the DIPA dense mouthfeel. Just kinda glorious. Bold and bright. Pretty damn impressive.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle poured into tulip 11/3/13

A clear golden copper with plenty of bubbles popping up from everywhere, a large 3 finger foam quickly falls to a pinky's width and sits there, several thick rings spaced far apart are the evidence of the larger normal sips I'm taking

S pine is strong, tangerine, mandarin orange, grapefruit and pineapple work well with just a little caramel sweetness, smells quite strong and its pretty much what I look for in a West Coast DIPA

T some lemon rind I didn't smell and slightly less pine, still a nice tropical blast but toned down just a tad compared to the nose

M not to heavy for a DIPA and creams up slightly from the bubbles, has a nice mellow bitter bite but nowhere near a palate wrecker, a little slick after the fact with some pine, citric rind, and caramel on the finish

O one of the better hop bombs I've had recently, no booze at any point and solid in every area, I could smell it all day and I'm very stoked I have 5 more in my 6er

Well if Lagunitas sucks I don't need awesome, really though this is a great brew and I'm very stoked I can buy this here in Alberta and will be buying it again soon

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours clear amber with a one finger high, white head.
Lacing stays on the glass.

Nose: Orange, vanilla, sweet malt, pine, pineapple, apple, tropical fruit, resin and a litte bit of grass.
Taste: Citrus, melon, orange, pineapple, a LOT of hops! Butter, herbs, marmelade and caramel malt.
Body: Medium body and carbonation. Full taste with a great, baöanced bitternes.

This is true love!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Poured a gorgeous golden color with hints of orange in the light. Nice 2 finger head with great lacing. Foam settled to a film covering the surface that lingered for a good portion of the drink

S: Aggressive piney hops on the front followed by toasty malts and a bit of floral aroma on the end. A bit of citrus aroma there as well.

T: You taste the piney hops at first, but not overwhelmingly so. I could detect some grapefruit and floral notes layered into the beer. Some orange citrus made an appearance, as well as something earthy and herbaceous. Sweet roasted malts helped to balance everything.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a longish finish. Lots of hops on the finish, but not overly bitter. Perfect amount of carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a beer that lives up to it 's hype. Nicely balanced and extremely drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured on tap at Capone's into a pint glass. Pours a hazy yet largely transparent golden hue with a scant head. Leaves very nice and sticky lacing behind. The nose is citrus heavy with light hoppiness. Lots of grapefruit with no pine The taste is beyond refreshing. Perfect combo of hops and citrus. The mouthfeel is great too. It doesn't scorch your tongue or hang out for long. In, out, hello, goodbye, thank you very much. Great IPA. Lagunitas certainly does NOT suck. Neither does this beer.

Poured into tulip

Appearance-Pours your standard IPA yellow-amber into the glass, small head rises, good ring of lacing. Nice looking.

Aroma-Very tropical hoppiness, I get a lot of mango and pineapple in the nose. Some slight undercurrent of pale sugarcookie-lke crystal malt but this is predominantly a hop show; as it should be.

Taste-Follows the aroma with the same tropical-fruity hoppiness, juicy and lip-smackingly bitter but not without balance; very crisp. As I sip more hop notes come out ranging from pine to citric peel; real west-coast hop showcase here.

Mouthfeel-Slick and resiny, almost syrupy but without being too thick; great feel.

Overall/Drinkability-Screw Brown Shugga, make this the winter seasonal! Goes down smooth and easy and keeps me wanting more; a class IPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow. I've had this beer in my fridge for a few weeks now and just wasn't excited about it. Well today I opened it up, and was very surprised. Very nice blend of hops, oats, barley and rye. I'm guessing it's the citra hop, but I'm no pro, so probably wrong. Great beer that deserves the rating it's given. Hopefully the quality won't go away with the Heineken ownership now.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a 10 oz. snifter at 8th Street Grille in Holland.

A: light amber copper that has a beautiful and slight orange tint to it. Bartender poured it to the brim, letting the head run off, but with a swirl later on, and the initial pour, I'd say it's a light and very temporary head with little retention. Tiny bubbles like you often see in hop-heavy stuff.

S: Intense citrus and flowers. Daisies. Exciting!

T&M: First I've had in awhile that I'd dub a true hop-trip, one that develops and rolls out slow enough with such pleasing and colorful flavors that it's downright psychedelic.
The mouthfeel is perfect for the flavor: it rolls it down the tongue and up through the mouth, with resiny honey on the tongue throughout. It's the type of honey I remember in 2010 Hopslam. The malts compliment and create the comfiness of this hoppy, comfy IPA. The complexity and richness is surprising for a 7.85% ABV, but I don't care; The light-to-little booze presence is appropriate. The flavors are all there.

Sidenote: my friend had a Avery Maharaja while I was drinking this. Alternating sips of the beers (right in a row, that is) created one of the most sublime beer experiences I can remember, a hop VOYAGE. Very oddly specific, but if you ever have these two beers or see them both on tap somewhere, do it. You will thank me.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow I really Like the flavor & nose on this "substitute" from Lagunitas.
tried the Quart bottle & fell in love. like a previous poster, I decided to pick up the 6 pack I saw recently, not much different. which is awesome cause I really liked my first impression.
pine resin, fresh grains, citrus, awesome. not much else to say other than it has a clean aftertaste for the bitterness level, so very drinkable. Toast! to what may be my go-to "lighter" "Crisper" spring/summer brew. nice.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- golden and slightly hazy. Nice white head that sticks to the glass leaving layers of white rings.
S- hoppy with pineapple and citrus and a familiar scent that comes with a lagunitas brew
T- papaya, and pineapple, alittle pineyness and somewhat bitter
F-medium feel with a slight prickle of carbonation
O- got this one on draft at the local taco mac. Enjoyed it in the past and tonight was no different.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a dark golden to copper with lively bubbles of carbonation beneath the pillowy white head.

Generous, resin hop aromas float from the glass including citrus and pine with a malt sweetness that holds its own right next to the hops.

Flavors of sweet citrus and pungent piney hops coat the palate along with sweet malts. As it warms it becomes even more woody and piney with pineapple and orange grapefruit and malt sweetness mid-palate to balance everything out returning to the grapefruit in the finish.

Features a medium body with generous carbonation and a sticky, puckering finish.

This is an excellent DIPA and unexpected as a winter seasonal. This can hold its own with just about any of its limited release brethren.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on draft at Lagunitas Taproom Chicago in a 16oz pint. This is a beast of a brew and although I would choose Brown Shugga over this Substitute this is still a massive brew. Extreme fruity tones throughout making it hard for me to even distinguish what is what. With lacing left for days, it tastes great and is almost just as fun to drink and put down constantly to see all the rings left on the glass. It's a bitter beer so you have to get used to that, but it's well done.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass. I was in a rush and didn't feel the need to find "proper" clean glass. Could have sworn I reviewed this one before but can't find it on my phone so here goes.

Appearance: Clear, bright, golden/copper color. One finger white head fades quickly to a thing ring and film on top of the beer. Spotty lacing here and there.

Aroma: Yee-haw, Excellent mix of pine resin and tropical fruit aromas. Mint and some caramel-y malt to sweeten things up. Smells like a real treat. Quick hint of booze.

Taste: First sip learns towards the piney hops, before the mango, grapefruit and pineapple citrusy hops take over. This one is still rather agreessive at 6 months. but with only 63.25 IBU's the bitterness is held in check due to some sugary caramelized malts that hold this beer up nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Finishes up well with some more of that piney hoppiness. A lot of excellent flavors going on here. Although classified as a DIPA, I find it extremely drinkable and at only 7.85% ABV isn't too heavy either. It's right in the middle ground of pretty heavy IPA and a light DIPA. I like this so-called "middle-ground", great balance of flavors going on here.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%

I get quite tired of the bitter hop heavy parade of most IPA or DIPA... This is quite good, aromatic, citrus forward, and sublimely flavorful and refreshing.

I go to this and Hop Devil & Burton Baton when I want hops with quality

Edit 4/9/15 - IMHO, after recently sampling Pliny, the citrus hop profiles are decidedly similar. I'm currently in hop seeking mode, and think this beer is great

On tap @ Coles.

A - Light to medium orange with a small amount of white head that very quickly disappeared.

S - A huge grapefruit aroma dominates the nose. Some pine and a sweet malt backbone add some additional layers to the nose. The grapefruit is no fresh and juicy. Subperb.

T - Huge bitterness up front with grapefruit and pine. A decent sweet malt backbone provides some balance and a touch of caramel and bready notes. The grapefruit flavour is not as abundant as the nose indicated but is definitely present. About half way through the grapefruit flavour begins to fade and only the bitter remains from the hops, which is a little disappointing.

M - Medium body; moderate carbonation.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to a pint glass and served in the backyard, initially at 40F.

A - Pretty standard IPA looks. Dirty golden-brown body, some light carbonation and a small watery head. Does lace nicely down the glass though.

S - Very powerful orange blossom, grapefruit and pineapple. Floral and slightly sweet. A real winner here.

T - Backs up the nose nicely. Really pick up the Grapefruit all the way through. It bounces off the orange and pineapple mostly, but there is a nice backbone of Cascade hops here too. Again, nicely done.

M - It backs up on the palate slightly, but it masks its ABV well and it has a slight sweetness that keeps me sipping it.

O - Its a very nice offering, I do prefer Sumpin Sumpin to this one though.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Brilliant clarity goldenrod, bone white head that doesn't last, medium to syrupy.

S: Floral, apricot/stonefruit, piney, juicy, tons of hops. Smells awesome.

T: Awesome mix of resinous pine, sweet stonefruits - apricot, peach, oranges, tangerine. Big flavor, medium bitterness. Has an approachable character and a very pleasantly fruity aftertaste - maybe even some melon?

M: Medium to full bodied, sticky and syrupy. Full and creamy.

Awesome IPA from Lagunitas.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured clear deep amber. Fluffy head of uber dense bubbles. Clinging lace.

Smells ranging from pineapple, tropical fruits, apricot, to pine resin.

Juicy grapefruit flavors, followed by citrus rind, canned peaches, and pine. Good malt backbone to balance out the hops, slight alcohol presence. Flavors start strong but peter out a bit in the finish.

Crisp mouthfeel. OIly resins left on the tongue.

Overall a really good DIPA. I'd not turn this down, and I'm happy to pay for it again. But I think it's reputation precedes it a bit too much.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful in the glass, golden amber color with a fluffy white head and tiny bubbles.
Smells of citrus, grapefruit and lemon, very inviting.
Tastes like it smells citrus fruit up front and leaves a mellow bitterness on the tounge. Has a sticky feel, it coates the mouth with great flavor that leaves you craving the next sip.
One of my favorite IPAs, complex flavors that stay with you long after you finish it and make you want to suck down another one.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a lightly hazy medium golden yellow in color with some orange and amber highlights as well as significant amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a three finger tall foamy head that slowly reduces to a finger tall dense foamy head covering the entire surface of the beer evenly. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Significant aromas of hops - tropical/pineapple, citrus/ruby red grapefruit, and floral/orange blossom. Very light amounts of caramel malts and some artificial sweetener sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light amount of caramel malt sweetness but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hops - first there are huge amounts of tropical/pineapple, followed by a slightly lesser amount of citrus/ruby red grapefruit, and just a touch of floral/orange blossom. Light to moderate amounts fo bitterness which fade away after a short amount of time.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly sticky with a light amount of dryness in the finish (which lingers on).

O: This beer is actually quite easy to drink as the mouthfeel is quite nice and the alcohol is well hidden - there are also beautiful aromas and taste of the hops. The hops are really highlighted with this brew and I'm very excited to finally have found it and gotten the chance to try it (I missed it last year because I was travelling).

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%

Served from the cask at International Tap House in Soulard a hazy apricot color with one finger of thick white head and generous amounts of sticky lacing around the Lagunitas mason jar glassware.

Aroma was heavy with pineapple along with some grapefruit, grass and caramel malts.

The taste was pineapple and grass balanced by the caramel malts.

Medium bodied and resinous with a lighter carbonation from the cask.

This one was tasty with a capital T. One of my favorite DIPAs for sure.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company