Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

#424

Ratings: 10,285 |  Reviews: 1,622

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Smells and tastes the way pipe tobacco smells: fragrant, smokey, floral, peppery; tobacco leaf all the way through. Deep caramel flavors are there to balance the intense hop bomb. Back end bitterness is slightly subdued; emphasis is squarely on the forward hop flavor. Extremely drinkable with very little booziness, there's nothing that Sucks about this except the fact that it's a limited release.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

A- The body of this beer is a light goldenrod color. There is two fingers worth of foam with good head retention. Best of all, there is an extremely high amount of lacing on this bad boy.

S- Initial danky smell, which leads to light pine that actually stings your nose, as well as fresh tangerine. I literally mean fresh tangerine as it smells like someone is cutting one right in front of your nose. It is heavenly. The tangerine is so dominant that I can barely get any malt.

T- Initial dank flavor, but its light and somewhat floral. Tangerine is dominant again, with less amount of pine. This is not really bitter at all and is more fruity than anything, which I love.

M- Light and sticky with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O- I never thought I would enjoy an DIPA this much, especially with the lack of a malt backbone. The hops are not overbearing at all and it's just sweet perfection. This is on a level of heady topper, and is simply phenomenal.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Served into a standard 16oz pint.
A - Nearly clear golden yellow, two fingers of fluffy white head that fades fast, a little lacing.
S - Good lord, this smells like everything you'd want. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange, mangos all over the place papaya, fresh lemon, sweet pine, light floral hops underneath that cascades into an immensely fresh smelling beer.
T - Tastes as every bit good as it does smell. You get a serious mango flavor from this, lighter biscuty malt, sweet acidic hop flavors, lemongrass, pine and citrus, so unbelievably good.
M - Medium feel, balanced carbonization, a bit of the ibu in the end.

O - Each time I drink this, I like it more, Note that its full flavors come out above cool, i'd say somewhere around 45-50. Full bodied lush hop bomb that is bursting with juicy fruit flavor that is sure to make any hop head satisfied. Lagunitas blew it out of the park with this seasonal brew. Makes 2013's Hopslam, and Pliny taste like absolute piss.

UPDATE: Very good like last year, a little more pine and citrus instead of mango, but still packed with tropical notes, the aroma is STILL the best thing in the world.
This is the best beer to me. I enjoy every moment of it.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Yellowy, see-through, little head, BUBBLY! The smell hits you big time from opening the bottle, bright, floral, hoppy, enticing. Best smelling beer I've had. Tastes hop-heavy, pleasant bitter, CLEAN, floral, citrus-y, maybe even ginger. Beautiful. Nice and bubbly on the tongue too. One of my favorites.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, honey amber colored with a huge fluffy white head that lingers leaving great lacing, clear

S: amazing citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pine, mango, papaya, like fruit coctail

T: excellent flavors of above mentioned fruit, finish is pine resin and drier, initial flavors are quite sweet

M: creamy for the style, medium bodied, alcohol well hidden, good carbonation

O: This is an excellent DIPA. It's very easy to drain a glass of this. The fruit smells and flavors are fabulous. There's also a great background story behind this beer along with it's hilarous name. Buy extra if you can find it.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

A - Bright amber/orange in color with a thick 3 finger head. Never seen a beer put off this much carbonation, pretty amazing as the thick head never recedes.

S - Lots of pine. Very dank marijuana type of smell. Smells very oily and thick. Mostly pine with a little orange peel in the back end.

T - Like a shot of pine and bitter citrus peels to the tongue. Very bitter, but remains smooth at the same time. Is my mind playing tricks on me? Simply an amazing IPA. They threw the malts into hiding just like a good IPA should. Hops right up front and a very smooth after taste. Bravo!!!

M - Very bitter up front with no alcohol to speak of. Lots and lots of carbonation keep this thing fresh to the end. Not as oily as I expected. Leaves your mouth dry and crazing more.

O - Amazing beer that needs to be available year round!

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Possibly my favorite IPA that I've had during my recent IPA binge.

Tropical citrus smell and taste that is incredibly refreshing. Must say this is the best smelling beer I've ever had. Taste is almost as good as the smell. Being on the east coast I can't find this often, if I do come across it again I will not hesitate to buy it.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

Delicious sweet brown sugar finish in a nice and hoppy ale.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

I am so happy to acquired some of this. It is flying off the shelves here in Crotchfester NY.

Poured a clear golden orange color with with a one and a half finger width head that shrunk down within the minute.

The nose is a huge BLAST of tropical sweet fruity hop aromas! There is a dash of pine hop flavor in there too.

Taste is everything I could have hoped from in this beer. Bitterness is relatively low at 63 when you consider how much fresh n' juicy hop flavor is involved. Citrusy and fruity hops dominate with not much detectable malt flavor! That is fine by me. Such an amazing hop profile. This is better than the Pliny I had a month ago!

Feel is moderate to thick because its so sticky! There is a decent amount of carbonation to balance that out.

Theres no way they won't make this again. Amazing.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +13%

I tried this on the recommendation of my friend jastack. I'm very glad I did. I can't speak much for the color since I have only been drinking it out of the bottle. But the smell is amazing. Truly smells like Christmas. Almost reminds me of a Christmas Tree. Once I drank it I knew it would be a favorite. Has a perfect hoppy taste that's not too overbearing but just right. It reminds me of a 90 minute, but smoother. It goes down very smooth. I brought it to my brother-in-law's house last weekend. He drinks one of two things, whiskey or cheap beer. The only time he tries anything good is if I'm around. He couldn't get enough of the stuff. It's amazing, and I only hope that they keep it around for years to come.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice hazy amber coloration into a standard pint glass. Wonderful hoppy smells and initial taste that tapers down to a nice malty sweetness. This is, in my opinion, the perfect balance between hops and malts. There's nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. I always have a bomber or a 6er of this in my beer fridge.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

A: The beer actually has a basic golden color with a light white head.

S: Man the hops really hit you in the face. It has a strong sweet fruity smell, almost like pineapples.

T: Now this is the best part of the beer. It has a very nice pineapple taste and a perfecta mount of hops and malt. The malts lingers on the tongue and just are very nice. I love a beer that lingers on the palate for a long time.

M: The beer has a nice crispness and a bit of carbonation. Very pleasant indeed.

O: Lagunitas does suck... because they cant make this year round. This is one of their best beers by far and I wish I could get it all the time.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75