Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,223 |  Reviews: 1,606
4.02/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tried on a recommend and was glad I did. Sweet and creamy just as I expected. Not the best looking brew but a very nice aroma. Tasty but a little too sweet for me. Would I drink it again - sure - would I seek it out - probably not.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

Served 39F into a 16 ounce goblet from the bottle.

Fairly bland. Well balanced between the hop, malts and carb sucrose, but for the most part no flavor and forgetable.

This 16 ounce bottle tastes much different than the 32 ounce quart that I drank 8 months ago.

I'm guessing that the recipe changed.

Sucks used to have this sugary, hoppy bite to it. The present version has none of that.

While It is well balanced and drinkable, it's just not the same Sucks as we are used to. Weather or not this has to do with the hops receding in the sunlight due to distributor negligence and old age I will never know, because I did not see and bottle dating on the packaging, and as such Lagunitas takes the hit on this particular review.

BTW, this six pack was purchased in PA on 9-18-2015 at a Weis Supermarket. The distributor is Erie, and apparently they are a bunch of slouches who do not care about the products they sell. I have seen Erie Distribution ship Stone Ruination 1.0 from 9-2014 to store locations as late as 6-2015. This is why bottle dating (not drink by dating) is crucial in the present market landscape. Distributors are going to destroy smaller craft brewers reputations with customers because they don't have the marketing resources to properly manage ale shelf life logistics.

This sixer of Sucks was very forgettable and Lagunitas seems to have changed to recipe to compete with Stone Ruination 2.0, but it doesn't quite measure up. Or perhaps I just got an old batch from this backwoods distributor. But again, I have no way of knowing this because I did not see any bottle dating on the packing or bottles.

I got no fruity hopiness on the palette whatsoever, and this isnt a case of lulupin because I drank this side by side with one of my dry hopped extract sculpin clone homebrews, and i got tons of fruity and resinous hop tastes and scents from that, but nothing from Sucks.

Pass.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 2" sudsy white head that drops slowly with plenty of lacing. Color is golden-yellow with plenty of sediment in suspension and tons of carbonation.

Aroma: citrus, grapefruit and some extra citrus just for good measure.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and oily with a mostly dry finish.

Flavor: citrus and pine with malt sweetness and white bread dough.

Overall: a nice sipper, appropriate to the style.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The beer has a nice amber color, when I raise my glass I can see a fair amount of carbonation. Good bittersweet hoppy smell. The beer has an alcohol taste up front with a hoppy finish. I can feel the bubbles on my tongue as I sip the beer and it has a smoother mouth feel than most.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer. Piney, citrusy
Hoppy and nice abv content

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

I had the Lagunitas Double IPA for the first time last night (draught) and thought it was absolutely terrific!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%