Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,593 | Ratings: 10,172
4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Picked up a 6 pack from the LCBO for about $16 CDN. Served cold into a chalice. This rendition advertised as 8% ABV.

Appearance - Pours a bright, light orange colored beer with two thirds of a finger of white head. Medium retention and some curtains of lace left around the edges of the glass. Greta clarity and prevalent carbonation in the beer.

Smell - Mango with some citrus hops, little bits of grapefruit and pineapple. Some cereal grains for balance, much more so than many a DIPA.

Taste - Light with mango, grapefruit and some pineapple. Lots of grains too for balance and a light caramel malt. Doesn't wow me, but drinakbility is huge.

mouthfeel - Slightly drying finish, booze is hidden wonderfully and probably one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had.

Overall - Overrated in terms of flavor, but underrated in terms of easy this is to drink especially for an 8% ABV beer. Really good stuff and worth a try. Certainly looking forward to buying another 6 pack, while in stock as this is dangerously easy to drink. Definitely doesn't suck.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden yellow with rich foamy head and good lacing. Smells of oat, hops, fruit and a little dank. The taste is wonderful, lots of fruits bursting in, hops, oat, dank notes, pine. The finish is light and clean, really nice beer. The bite is very mild and light dryness. Overall this beer is great all around, it is just perfect with regard to taste and strength. Pretty awesome.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Dude. "Cereal Medley" is right. I'm a sucker for the scent of grainy wort, and for a friggin Double IPA, this has all the oatmealy goodness you'd catch walking by a brewery during the early morning phases of a day's first batch. All the breadiness of the nose interplays with juicy, citrusy hops that pucker more than bitter. If that makes sense. No? Yeah, didn't think so. Anyway, the taste follows the aroma. A great intermingle of cereal grains and bright, grassy hops. I want to pat these guys on the shoulder, reassuring that they're probably being too hard on themselves. Wink Wink. Lagunitas may suck, but this beer certainly does not.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very clear dark amber with a large head that quickly reduces to a half-inch foam with nice lacing. Aroma is a hop slap on the face. Intense pine, citrus and some dank. Taste is very similar, with the bitterness being balanced by some nice malt sweetness. Very well balanced despite the strong hop profile. This is a seriously fun DIPA, as long as you got it fresh.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer fresh and probably would have rated higher a couple years ago. First off I think the price of this beer is awesome for what you get. This is just any all around good IPA at a good price and it don't Suck!

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear brass with a foamy, long lasting head. Tons of lace chunks stick to the glass on the way down. Grapefruit, peach and tropical fruit hop notes abound in the nose, balanced by caramel cookie dough maltiness. The first sip reveals plenty of hop bitterness and fruity, citrusy hop flavors. A hefty malt profile keeps everything in check, and renders this beer less dry than most DIPAs. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a subtle, creamy carbonation. Medium bitterness, grapefruit rind and green tea mix with a bit of alcohol spice and some residual sweetness in the finish.

A very quaffable DIPA with dank, complex hoppiness and a huge malt profile. Balanced and very quaffable for the high abv. A must try.

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Was tricked by the branding - assumed this was from a small competitor to Lagunitas but turns out it is from the brewery itself. Not surprised it is pretty decent given the brewery's pedigree. Strength is well masked (doesn't feel like 7.8%) but hop flavour is somewhat uninspiring.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz stubby into a wine glass
L: Amber with the slightest bit of haze, very thick, sticky head
S: Fruity and alcoholic, with the hint of cannabis you expect from Lagunitas
T: Very sweet. The fruitiness of the hops plays around with some esters from the quirky yeast
F: Extremely smooth and creamy. The extra grains really thicken it up.
O: This is a really interesting beer. It's definitely a departure from the typical DIPA, and those disturbed by the monotony of that genre may find this of interest. Personally I found that I really liked the first pack I had, but after a few encounters it became tiring. It's a lot to handle in a beer, and is probably best saved for special occasions.

4.61/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Hazy pale gold color. 2-finger head and great head retention. Some bubbles continue to cascade upward, but not that reactive.

Smell: Sweet, buttery, malty, and fruity. Like tart fruit and citrus. Very floral.

Taste: Only a tad bit of hop bitterness at first. You then get a BLAST of malt and caramel sweetness. This has that nice sweet and savory flavor that I can only describe as "buttery". The sweetness hangs on for quite some time before drying out only slightly. As the sweet caramel fades, you have an aftertaste of biscuits, crackers, slightly smoked wood, and flowers.

Feel: Medium bodied beer. Feels fuller than I expected. Stays fairly fizzy the entire journey through.

Overall: Awesome beer. I was not expecting this to be so flavorful. It is right at that fine line between a Pale Ale and an IPA. Tastes like caramel and I occasionally got some chocolate hints, which is uncommon for a pale brew. Bought this as a single, but will be looking a 6-pack next.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rushed out like a mad man when I read online that this was available at the LCBO, here in Toronto. Couldn't wait to open it and then....thud. What? I mean this is drinkable....has a nice barley taste, albeit a bit dry, but why on earth is this so highly rated? IPA it is not, the nose is foul and just an overall lack of something(s) make this a beer you know....meh to drink....but definitely not seek out. Someone said the nose was: pine, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple. Here is me telling you that it is NONE of those things.

2.28/5  rDev -47.1%

Orange golden look, some piney citrus notes, was hoping for brown color due to name. Good on a rainy day but flavor does not compare to the many amazing IPA beers in existence. Would never but this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

35cl bottle at De Paas. Clear pale orange with no head. Pine resin, caramel, grapefruit, citrus hops and subtle tropical fruit. Medium body, low to zero carbonation and a bitter-sweet aftertaste.

3.44/5  rDev -20.2%

Man, I'm a virgin to this sight, being a creeper for some time, but unless I've caught a bad bottle (mixed 6) this beer is a non plus to me. It has a hoppy/malt mix that seems to work against one another, giving it a sort of astringent taste. Again, maybe I caught a bad bottle, but I don't think so. I would not buy this beer again.

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

I made this review only because the last few reviews are so off.

Look: a beautiful thick golden look. It looks like a beer should look.

Smell: pine, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple!

Taste: the taste! It taste like a perfect beer! Tangerine, orange, loafy bread, tangerine, grapefruit, pine, pineapple, floral, awesome happiness, slight alcohol taste.

Mouth feel: a full beer mouthful. Thick goodness.

Overall: this is one of my favorite beers. It looks, taste and feels like a beer. If one beer in the world was made, this just might be it. I hate being pretentious, but my palette is extremely picky. If you don't like this beer, you're just wrong and need to come back once you trained your palette.

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Wow. I'm disappointed. I feel a bit dumb for paying money on this now. It's not a 'bad' beer, per se, however it's rather un-fulfilling and overpriced. It's light and crisp and bitter, hoppy, citrus-orange flavor to it. Nothing to write home about, that's for sure. Sometimes you just wish you knew how a beer tastes BEFORE you pay for it. Luckily I also got a Rochefordt Trappiste to help wash it down. Disappointing and bland, honestly. Maybe they'll taste better as I drink more of them....

update: It's pretty flat, and lives up to it's name. But honestly, the more I drink of it the more I like it so it's not a total loss. However, it JUST doesn't have enough flavor you would expect from a beer of this price-point. I'm a dude who likes a nice mouthfull of some Stout, and this simply comes up short. Sadly unfulfilling, but maybe wouldn't be too bad in the summertime. Tastes like a lighter version of a Flat Tire Indian Pale Ale, which is NOT a good thing believe me.... I fucking HATE that type of beer. Ah, well you live and learn..... WAY too mellow. I'm not a motherfucking 'mellow' person when I drink. I want to get ROWDY. DO you dig?? The mouthfeel is almost NONEXISTENT. Now that is fucked up, huh? I wouldn't be against calling them and complaining. Bastards.... and they make some real good bombers too. What a damn mystery.

Update: OK. here's a hint - drink this one out of the BOTTLE. I'm a dumbass (as I'm sure everyone has figured out by now so wink, like my review) and poured this into a flute, or a 'beer-drinking' glass. WRONG! Drink this straight from the bottle!! Sounds dumb, weird or funny but yet I cannot stress this enough. It makes a big difference, as I'm sure many have figured out by now, that what you drink FROM makes almost as much of a difference as WHAT you are drinking. It tastes like California. Not bad at all out the bottle - pretty terrible from a glass. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it disperses too much or something. Pretty good though from the bottle! Had to upgrade my ratings.

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Malt. Bread. Cream sofa. Cat pee. Thin. Alcohol well disguised. This goes down easily but overall is just a bit top sweet for me. Aggressive hops keep sugar from overwhelming the experience.

3.13/5  rDev -27.4%

Looks: Bright white head leaving thick lacing all the way down the glass. Pours dark orange, clear, steady stream of bubbles throughout the duration of the beer.

Smell: Citrus, hops, very floral heavy with roses, malts on the end with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Floral front, strong taste of roses. Slight bitter hops finish. Personally not a huge fan of heavily floral beers.

Feel: Dry, bitterness.

Overall: Too floral for my liking. Would not buy again. 4/10.

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer is a clear orange/gold color with little carbonation and a thin soapy head that thinned out rather quickly. I get a strong piney scent minor bread like smell. No noticeable fruit or alcohol aromas. Starts with a mild malty sweetness but the citrus and piney hop flavors come through as you drink. Though there didn't appear to be much carbonation you can feel it. There is also a slight stickiness to it as it sticks in the back of your throat and has a drying affect.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Another Lagunitas offering and another very good brew. I still can find no real fault with this brewer.

I do have to mention though, there really ain't much special about the coloration, it was your basic amber-colored beer. The head was very white, very fluffy, but the lacing was thick and covered the glass almost all the way down the pint glass - it was actually quite impressive. The scent was a perfect, and I do mean perfect, mixture of citrus and coriander mixed with the strong hoppy smell. The mouthfeel was mostly carbonated, but not so much so to detract from the overall experience. Speaking of overall, this was truly a wonderfully crafted beer. It had the same taste as what I smelled which is a big plus in my book - making the whole beer very flavorful.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass
Appearance: Golden/orange with around 1 finger of white head
Smell: Citrus and hops
Taste: The hops overwhelm the flavor, and there is an unpleasant bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full body with plenty of carbonation.
Overall: Not terrible, but overall this beer was too bitter to be enjoyable (and I am usually a big fan of Imperial IPAs)

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to snifter.

A: Bright orange
S: Pine, mango, orange, grapefruit, bready malt.
T: Very nice tropical fruit flavors and pine against sweet bready malt.
M: medium.
O: Love the hop flavors, just wish for a bit less sweetness.
\

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful lighter shade of gold with good cap and lacing.

Aroma is like stepping into a dark conifer forest. The hop aroma comes full on in an unobtrusive way, there's a lot of it but it's not pushy. Hints of spice dance about like a sprinkling of sunbeams lightly filtered through the boughs above.

Yes, the flavor is resinous, just like the brewery says, but it's a pleasant bunch of buds. Grains come through in the buttery rich body but it's hops that lead the band. Finish is clean with a pleasantly bitter aftertaste.

Overall this is a complex beer with positive points. It is a broad shoulder, big body, big flavor, big hop brewnput together in a cohesive whole that fulfills and doesn't disappoint.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured in Imperial Pint
Look:
- Rich golden color, with a drop of copper highlights
- Nearly translucent
- Big foamy head, full 3 fingers - hangs around awhile
Smell:
- Mild aroma
- Yeasty, like fresh sourdough
Taste:
- Malty
- A bit of fruit...maybe apple?
- Roasty on the back, almost smoky
- complex flavors
Feel:
- smooth, surprisingly creamy considering the light appearance
- carbonation on the front
Overall:
- Interesting and complex
- should be good with bold food flavors
- stands up well as warms to room temperature

Golden and hazy with a few slow rising bubbles. Topped with a half finger of foamy white head.

Smells of cat pee, cat nip, herbal notes and a hint of lemon and fruitiness, really dank and fried onion like.

Tastes of cat pee, cat nip, herbal notes, a fair amount of what I like to think is brown sugar, and some butter.

Medium somewhat syrupy body, dry finish. Medium level of spicy carbonation.

Got in Petaluma California at the 7-11 just down from Lagunita's Brewing. Drinking in Motel 6, Petaluma. Its been on my wish list and I would have had it at Lagunita's brewhouse, but it was closed when I arrived at 10:30pm. Very hoppy in a catty kind of way, and well done but different.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear dark yellow or light orange with a finger and a half of head. Head goes down but stays covering the top the whole drink through. Smells like grapefruit, hops, and I got a sweet and very slight molasses smell, could just be me. Definitely a lovely smell though. The feel is really nice, thin but slightly sticky feeling, not a whole lot of carbonation. Taste is amazing, very unique. I almost can't describe it other than it tastes just as it smells, like an IPA, but not... A little bit of bitterness and bite, but sweet and citrusy, just beautiful. Super tasty beer, I buy it quite often and always enjoy it. Lagunitas really has some fine beers.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company