Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,570 | Ratings: 10,100
4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to snifter.

A: Bright orange
S: Pine, mango, orange, grapefruit, bready malt.
T: Very nice tropical fruit flavors and pine against sweet bready malt.
M: medium.
O: Love the hop flavors, just wish for a bit less sweetness.
\

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful lighter shade of gold with good cap and lacing.

Aroma is like stepping into a dark conifer forest. The hop aroma comes full on in an unobtrusive way, there's a lot of it but it's not pushy. Hints of spice dance about like a sprinkling of sunbeams lightly filtered through the boughs above.

Yes, the flavor is resinous, just like the brewery says, but it's a pleasant bunch of buds. Grains come through in the buttery rich body but it's hops that lead the band. Finish is clean with a pleasantly bitter aftertaste.

Overall this is a complex beer with positive points. It is a broad shoulder, big body, big flavor, big hop brewnput together in a cohesive whole that fulfills and doesn't disappoint.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured in Imperial Pint
Look:
- Rich golden color, with a drop of copper highlights
- Nearly translucent
- Big foamy head, full 3 fingers - hangs around awhile
Smell:
- Mild aroma
- Yeasty, like fresh sourdough
Taste:
- Malty
- A bit of fruit...maybe apple?
- Roasty on the back, almost smoky
- complex flavors
Feel:
- smooth, surprisingly creamy considering the light appearance
- carbonation on the front
Overall:
- Interesting and complex
- should be good with bold food flavors
- stands up well as warms to room temperature

Golden and hazy with a few slow rising bubbles. Topped with a half finger of foamy white head.

Smells of cat pee, cat nip, herbal notes and a hint of lemon and fruitiness, really dank and fried onion like.

Tastes of cat pee, cat nip, herbal notes, a fair amount of what I like to think is brown sugar, and some butter.

Medium somewhat syrupy body, dry finish. Medium level of spicy carbonation.

Got in Petaluma California at the 7-11 just down from Lagunita's Brewing. Drinking in Motel 6, Petaluma. Its been on my wish list and I would have had it at Lagunita's brewhouse, but it was closed when I arrived at 10:30pm. Very hoppy in a catty kind of way, and well done but different.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear dark yellow or light orange with a finger and a half of head. Head goes down but stays covering the top the whole drink through. Smells like grapefruit, hops, and I got a sweet and very slight molasses smell, could just be me. Definitely a lovely smell though. The feel is really nice, thin but slightly sticky feeling, not a whole lot of carbonation. Taste is amazing, very unique. I almost can't describe it other than it tastes just as it smells, like an IPA, but not... A little bit of bitterness and bite, but sweet and citrusy, just beautiful. Super tasty beer, I buy it quite often and always enjoy it. Lagunitas really has some fine beers.

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a couple months old bottle, pours orange with a finger or more of foam. Nose is muted fruit mostly. Taste is citrus, pine and some backing malt, with moderate bitterness in the finish. Good substantial feel. Nice beer, probably better when it's fresher.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma comes on like a Belgian tripel, so far so good! Light amber with sparse foamy head. Some spicy nature in the taste, also reminiscent of Belgians, with the ever present NW hops touch. This is a really, really good beer.

Reading the ratings, it appears you really like it or you really dislike it. I liked it. Lagunitas beers all seem to have a similar citrusy theme. I have not come across a bad Lagunitas brew. I feel this beer is very well balanced for an 8.0 percenter and really enjoyed it. However, I can only have one or two of these and I have to call it a day.

2.99/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was not impressed. There was no balance whatsoever.
To be fair, I am a fan of Stouts and Porters and like the ones with a good finish. This beer reminds me of smelling a bottle Pine-Sol disinfectant, with an aftertaste of what I imagine Pine-Sol tastes like.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is golden with slight haze and thick creamy white foam cap. Intense hop aroma, with strong citrus and hints of pine. Great bready malt flavor up front with a strong but well balanced hop bitterness that doesn’t overpower. Medium creamy mouthfeel, especially for an IPA. Finishes with a clean hop bite and touch of warmth from the alcohol.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful in the glass, golden amber color with a fluffy white head and tiny bubbles.
Smells of citrus, grapefruit and lemon, very inviting.
Tastes like it smells citrus fruit up front and leaves a mellow bitterness on the tounge. Has a sticky feel, it coates the mouth with great flavor that leaves you craving the next sip.
One of my favorite IPAs, complex flavors that stay with you long after you finish it and make you want to suck down another one.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the way a lot of imperial (double) IPAs taste. They are sweet in a sickly citrus way. I think it's the booze along with the slick malty backbone as well that makes them feel heavier and doesn't feel as clean or snappy. They tend to be overly carbonated, hoppy tastes (bitter, earth) are being leveraged against a stronger sugar content and seems often out of balance. Sometimes they are astringent rather than pleasantly "strong."

Lagunitas consistently makes solid samplings of many styles-- their Hop Stoopid is an reliable DIPA that is more aggressively hop-forward and pine-y than this one. Their Imperial Stout is also one of my favorite go-tos, not least because of the price. $4.99 for a bomber can't be beat (although 2 more bucks usually gets you a better beer). This, a "substitute" to BrownSugga (which I never had), is more candied citrus than Hop Stoopid, almost sickly in my opinion and there's little of the nuance a world-class DIPA demonstrates. The BrownSugga in the name must indicate the original intention, a brown-sugar, caramel-y malt base in which bread and some rye/hop character sneak in early and then late.

The 8% listed on the label (the 7.85% here may be a different brewing ago?) can be felt in the taste and may have thrown things off. It didn't really click with me. Not bad but maybe trying too hard.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light amber color. Thick off white 1 finger head with a ton of lacing. Dark fruit, caramel, and raisin on the nose. Flavor is well balanced but on the malty side. A little sweetness at the end from the unfermented complex sugars. Not typical profile for a DIPA as hops are not the star here but very tasty nonetheless. Medium low carbonation with a light medium body. Overall, this is a great IPA that leans to the malty side of the spectrum. I am not sure when this beer was bottled but I assume it had a more present hop character when it was fresh. Love the malt and great story behind the making.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

I love Double IPA's. This one looks perfect, smells great but it's lacking just a little on citrus notes. It's not a terribly bitter beer and the feel is light. I can't say it's my favorite Dbl IPA but it's close.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

L: pours a clear golden amber with a 1 finger off white head that lasts a bit
S: smells bright and hoppy, no deep smell to speak of
T: my initial taste is malty, but the hops quickly through, sweet like a lot of DIPA's but not overly so
F:medium bodied and sticky, not overly carbonated

O: really liked this. very good DIPA

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

2016 batch.

Golden yellow color. Looks like an IPA. Tastes very bitter and has that classic Lagunitas smell that is characteristic of many of their beers, along with a piney hop aroma. Honestly I would not say that this beer "Sucks" but for being brewed by Lagunitas, it isn't that impressive to me. They have way better offerings in my opinion and this is one of the worst ones for me.

(Shrug)

This beer is not a pimple on Brown Shugga's ass, and certainly not a worthy substitute. Just my opinion.

3.2/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The color is a orange hue, the smell is very piney hops. The flavor follows the smell, hoppy but not overpowering. A nice finish with a malt flavor on the backside. Overall a nice beer still a little more hops than I like but one that I did find as a nice alternate to the lagers I usually have.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A foamy creamy head that is one finger thick with good retention. The color of the beer is a nice orange color with some amber tints. The clarity of the beer is clear with some good carbonation bubble.

Rich floral, pine, and grapefruit with some tropical notes come first I smell this beer. A light grass, and toasted bread with yeast finish it.

Definite grapefruit, tropical, herbal, resin, and some floral notes on the palate. The beer is lightly toasted with a touch of caramel, grass, and yeast

The mouthfeel is bitter, tannic, carbonated, and finish crisp.

The beer is good I think the hop is a tad underwhelming to me. The malt has a very nice back and could hold a touch more hop character. Good DIPA

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Back home we would say it's Wicked Good! From the older bottle, it pours a golden amber with a moderate head. Really nice scent tickles the nose (no, I don't feel like describing it) and tastes very nice. Yummy!

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Definitely a west coast IPA. One of the strongest I've ever had. Slightly darker than a lager, thin lacy white head. Not much smell. Super hoppy like you'd expect a west coast IPA to be. The hops have a little bit more bitterness and a little less grapefruit/citrus than my favorites.

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Double IPA with a color somewhere between golden and coppery with a healthy white foamy lacing. Before you even sip this beer there is a very strong, pleasant citrusy / hoppy smell that hits you. The taste confirms the smell. It has a strong grapefruit flavor with more subtle pine and orange flavors and a hop profile that seems stronger than the 65 ibu it is listed as. It has some definite bitterness, but it isn’t overwhelming like some DIPAs. I would say it is about equal to that of a standard grapefruit. The bitterness doesn’t linger and you are left with a very crisp, refreshing feeling at the end of the drink. This would be a great DIPA or a great beer in general on a summer day. It’s not the best DIPA I’ve ever had, but it’s definitely up there and even though IPAs aren’t typically my favorite. Lagunitas is a brewery that I really like overall and it’s cheaper than many others that I think are inferior to it and this beer confirms that.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Looks clear golden orange with lightly streaming carbonation, a thick, sticky off white head, and leaves sheets of lacing.

On the aroma, you get pine upfront, and then zesty, spritzy citrus oils; orange peel, a bit of grapefruit, and then some underlying peach and pineapple.

On the palate, upfront you're smacked with lots of grapefruit and pithy orange. This transitions into sweeter tropical fruits; peach, pineapple, and a touch of mango. There is an underbelly of malt sweetness, biscuit bordering on caramel, but smooth and not obtrusively sweet or sugary. The finish transitions to a sharp bite of pine sap and the characteristic Lagunitas chalk/rubber note, but it's a faint suggestion here and not obnoxious and detracting like some of their other beers. Finishes surprisingly clean, neither super dry nor overly sweet, with only a touch of bitterness and lightly lingering pine needles and orange pith.

The mouthfeel is medium, medium-lightly carbonated, very smooth and bordering on creamy. Lightly dry on the finish.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Gonna be a short one from a 12 oz bottle...

This is Lagunitas' Lil' Sumpin Ale with a sweet kick to it. Not really my thing, but they nailed the goal of what they were looking to accomplish. I'm going East Coast vs West Coast on this with Founder's vs Lagunitas. This is what AB vs Miller should have been.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Last one of six I purchased and drank a week or so ago. It has a definite strong smell to it and a strong taste, but one I can enjoy. Not something I can drink all day, but one I'd drink again. I bought the six pack in May and apparently they were brewed in January (according to description). I poured it into a beer glass and saw little to no foam and only a little nit of lacing. Still enjoyed it though!

Tastes and smells like a beer!

3.52/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale, 7.85% ABV, 63 IBU, American Double/Imperial IPA style. Well let's see if it lives up to its name. Pours medium thickness, orange/golden, a bit hazy, 5+ fingers of foamy white head that stuck around, spotty lacing. Nose is sweet malt, taste is malt and some funky bitter tastes I can't identify. OK mouthfeel, and overall I can't say it sucks, though I'm not a fan. I do like it better than the Brown Shugga' it is a substitute for!

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company