Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

#418

Ratings: 10,294 |  Reviews: 1,623
4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

20oz Pint on Tap $5

A – Translucent bright yellow with orange hues. Head is 1" and has great retention and lacing.

S – Huge hops up front. Sticky grapefruit notes dominate, but some pine and lime/lemon come through as well.

T – Starts slightly sweet, but has nicely acidic and fruity hops to balance out. Grapefruit is huge again here.

M – Medium body, nicely carbonated and balanced. Refreshing.

O – Good beer here, very nice and unique hop character. Light malt is sweet and balancing. Glad I found it on tap.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Picked up a big 32 oz. bottle of this in Totowa a few weeks back, having never had this before. I had the regular Brown Shugga a while ago and heard good things about this. While this was not terribly strong, hopped, or potent, there was a really complex groups of flavors that allowed this beer to grow on me as I worked my way through this and let it warm up. While not as good as the leaders in this category, it's an improvement over the original version of this beer.

Golden pour to this with a head that seemingly never quit and lacing that formed nice rings over the top half of my pint glass. Not a strong aroma to this either but boy, was there a lot in the taste. Gorgonzola. Onion. Soda. Grass. Straw. Hints of tropical fruit. Apple. Crystalline Sugar. They're all here and in good proportion to one other. Much lighter than I thought, I wasn't sure how this beer had 63 IBU's in it since it didn't feel that strong or overtly hopped to me. The resembled a regular IPA or even an ESB, given how well it went down and light an impression it gave off.

While the alcohol was strong, I only felt it and could never taste it. Not the best offering from Lagunintas currently on the shelf but there was enough to like here without the usual "hop bomb" characteristics that are found in so many beers of this style. Quirky, subtly strong, and deep, this beer was typical of Lagunitas style and slightly held true to form as there was some brown sugary-sweetness that was underneath everything else here. A fun beer that's worth a go for IPA lovers.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a transparent bright golden with foamy white head that doesn't really stick around, but the lacing is nice. Good looking. Dank pungent aromas, very funky! Honestly, it's just what you would expect from Lagunitas, and that goes for the aromas and flavors. Tons of ripe grapefruit and mango. Citrus notes along with some oily pine resin. Not too much malt going on. Mouthfeel is right on, smooth, and perfectly carbonated. Nice balance. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Easy to drink and leaves me wanting more. Dank!

This is why Lagunitas is awesome! I didn't expect anything less, and they delivered.

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a burnt orange with a frothy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is sweet and juicy; some nice hop resin, citrus, brown sugar and some bread. A sweet and fruity IPA; sweet citric juice, hop resins, and some bread. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, I get the hype for this beer but I am not quite digging this like most. Would drink again, but wont be seeking this out personally. Kinda reminds me a lot of Brown Shugga, just with a different malt base.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Undated bottle at 40 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma more citrusy than piney, but both present. Could snort this.
Head large (6 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing
Lacing OK, broken rings of large bubbles with vertical chains linking the next swallow
Body light yellow with slight chill haze
Flavor mildly hoppy but quickly diminishing. leaving a hit of grapefruit bitterness behind; no malt balance, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, carbonation watery

A decent IPA, but, IMHO, not the gift from the gods as it is often rated. Glad I bought a sixer, not upset I didn’t get a case.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Half pint on-tap at Euston Tap, London:
Another excellent Lagunitas beer, not as hoppy as I'd expected with sweet malts taking the front seat but some did feature & the balance was a good one. The beer proved to be quite an easy one to drink as well, despite the strength. One well worth seeking out if you can find it.

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shuggga Substitute Ale pours a dark golden color, with a small lacing head. There is a wet floral aroma, with roasted malts coming through. The taste is rather balanced, with nice floral notes coming through, all mixed in with a roasted malty taste. Nice full flavors, has a "wet" bitterness, and rather balanced. Overall its a balanced and easy drinking double IPA.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

$10.99 for a 6'er @ BevCo. Brewed with barley, rye, wheat and oats. OG=1.085, 63.21 IBU, 7.85% ABV. Pours out to a brilliantly clear sparkling deep golden/light copper, forming a small off white head with ok retention and minimal lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs. The aroma is great and chockfull O' hops....pine, skunkweed, cat pee, mango and grapefruit. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a hop astringent finish. The taste is a recap of the hops balanced by a firm malt body with grainy husk character and stone fruit esters. Firm bitterness, but well balanced and leaves a pleasant mouthfeel. No perceptible off flavors or aromas.

A world class beer. A wonderful example of the style. I want another, and another...

3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

This is another one of those Lagunitas shockers - a beer so good you cannot believe it. The little sumpin's are all like this - amazing - and they are related in taste to. If you lked those, you will love this.

The aroma may be the best ever. One of. This isn't just a good holiday ale (it does not resemble others), this is a holiday treat that I hope to have on hand for any beer lovers that stop by. I am gong to buy a bunch.

Update: I went to one of my favorite stores and they have had a run on this. They only had a few singles (an I bought them all). Apparently they had a tasting event there yesterday that included this and it was a big hit. I concur!

12oz bottle and poured into tasting glass.

A - Pours a golden yellow/orange color, thin cream-colored head, thin collar, wisps here and there on top.

S - This is a bitter hop bomb! Citrus, lots of pine, slight tropical fruit notes, grapefruit, and sweet syrupy fruit notes in there as well.

T - Taste is similar...all hops, little else. Pine, citrus, mango, pineapple, and some sweet malt notes in there as well on the end. Finish is a bitter hoppy overload.

M - Medium, good carbonation, oily finish.

O - A solid DIPA, but not mind-blowing like it has been for many other BA's. That said, it's easy to find, enjoyable to drink, and priced very reasonably. Hard to find that combo all in one beer, no doubt about it...bonus points for that. Recommend.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company