Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,583 | Ratings: 10,141
4.41/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Review taken 3rd Saturday in Feb.(2014)

12 oz short brown bottle with one of my favorite labels so far in 2014. A bit plain, but gets its point across nicely with a lovely story on its origination. It's just a label that does it for me. Poured into a standard American pint glass.

A - somewhat hazy golden with a yellow tone to it. This really pops with all sorts of glowing liquid when held in the light. Beautiful. Nice sized white head on the pour really blended well and right away made me feel comfortable that I was about to taste pure class from this bottle. Head mellows out into a creamy splotched lacing leaving fine stick caked the the sides of my pint glass.

S - up front there are some really amazing whiffs going on. Loads of fruitiness with tangerine, juicy orange, grapefruit, and fresh pineapple. Slight hint of west coast pine sap and a dank hop funk adds even more brilliance in this nose. A swift bready give it just the right balance of aromas and pushes itself in the territory that seperates the great from the very good. This is what an ipa is supposed to smell like.

T - lots of citrus and tropical fruits. Follows right in line with its nose. Big gushing fruitiness of tangerine, orange, pineapple, and grapefruit up front. The pine notes are straight up sap like but quickly fold before they punish you. It's a nice touch and allows for that very fresh, resinous, dank hop character you get toward the middle. Everything is balanced wonderfully with a Lagunitas style yeast and bready maltiness that never really takes control but adds top shelf class to this area of the flavor. Finish is carries a crisp semi bitterness that leaves a beautiful taste in the back end.

M - bigger medium body. Not huge, but flavorful and coats well. Texture and thickness are exceptional. Crazy drinkable and easy going considering the flavors it gushes out. It just feels right. Not sure anything is perfect, but this is sure close.

O - Hmm.. What can one say about Sucks? How about its great. I mean, truly grand. Something I could seriously drink every single day of the year. I get in moods where
I crave something then something different the next day. This is something I will crave daily. Thinking, waiting, and searching the next time its released. No doubt about it. This has loads of quality and class. The first taste lets you know this is something different, one of a kind, something you'll pick up any time you see it.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Perfectly clear yellow-orange beer with a 1 finger shock white head on top with sticky lacing left behind. Tons of carbonation from the bottom. The head dissapates at a medium pace down to a patchy thin sheet and then holds there. The aroma is a bit dank, tons of earthy citrus, herbal and piney hops. Grapefruit definitely comes to mind and has the qualities to shape up to be a hop bomb. A hint of caramel and bread hold up the malt backbone fairly.

Certainly no shortage of hops in the taste, but the malt backbone definitely holds its on nicely. Plenty of bready grain and a hint of sweet caramel give a steady backbone that lets the hops do their thing without going overboard. The hops are resiny as hell, giving an earthy, almost herbal impression that goes nicely with huge piney and grapefruit notes. The malt bill still manages to smooth out the mouthfeel however, giving it a medium-full body. The hops do come close to being a bit overbearing with the thick, almost chewy resinous taste, but the pine and citrus seem to do a good job in counteracting that actually. Maybe a bit too much in the carbonation department as the mouthfeel tends to get away from the palate in its effervescence, but not too badly. The more I drink it, the more the hops seem to run away with this one, nearly choking out the life of the malt bill. So maybe they are a tad on the overbearing side, but delicious none the less, especially as the hops disguise the nearly 8% ABV fairly well. Only a hint of alcohol is detected on the breath. It finishes juicy at the back, but then moves to dryness in the very end.

Overall, it doesn't completely replace Brown Shugga', but it is a good beer. A little lacking in the balance, but it could definitely be worse; at least its full of delicious hop flavors. I would buy this again if they decide to re-release it.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a brandy snifter

Pours a golden orange with a foamy 1 finger head that disappears to a thin sticky lace around the top of the beer. On the nose, your senses get attacked! Big piny hops, over-ripen citrus fruits, mango, tangerine, grapefruit. Sticky tobacco and marijuana scents in midst of the fruit. Again on the taste, sticky grapefruit, citrus hops, sticky and murky with a feverishly bitter aftertaste that just absolutely hits the spot, wow! Light to medium on the feel and body, bitter, deliciously drinkable, not much malt backbone as noted by other reviewers. This beer is fucking awesome! Make more of this shit and send it my way, im more than fine with having this over BS anyday, superior IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A- pours a golden amber color with uncanny clarity. A finger and a half of off white head emerges from an average pour. Good head retention.

S- huge citrusy hops of tangerine and grapefruit peel blend with tropical fruit notes of pineapple an mango. Floral hops on the finish with a whisper of dry biscuity malt.

T- starts off with super juicy tangerine and grapefruity hop flavor with notes of mango and pineapple in the middle. Dry biscuity malt with a chaulky characteristic. Finishes dry with a subtle hop bitterness and floral notes that lingers on the palate. This beer is hops, hops and more hops!

MF- juicy slick mouthfeel with a light medium body and average carbonation.

D- quenching and superbly drinkable.

Overall one hoppy mother that more than makes up for the lack of Brown Shugga'... D-lish!

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a translucent straw color with a moderate cap of white froth with respectable staying power. Broad swaths of lacing adorn the glass. The aroma features a big kick of grapefruit with some pine resin and traces of honey.

The taste features a big grapefruit smack and pine resin set against biscuity malt. The bitterness surges up front before yielding some to the malt in the middle. Pine resin creeps in again in the finish. A smooth, creamy mouthfeel suits the flavor profile well, and the carbonation affords an appropriate level of zing and texture.

I bought this beer thinking, for some strange reason, that it was a substitute for the old "Brown Shugga" Lagunitas brewed. Nothing could be further from the truth, so I have no idea what the name is about. With that out of the way, this is a competent but unremarkable west coast IPA--big bitterness without much else to distract. If I liked IPAs, I might be a fan, but to me this is just another one-dimensional hop bomb. The fact that the label betrayed me doesn't help...

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

I gave this beer a strong pour and ended up with a finger of off-white head. The body is a very eye-catching golden-amber color. Head dissipates in a few minutes to leave a small but frothy ring around the glass. A steady stream of bubbles rises bottom to top. Nice lacing as well.

Oranges, grapefruits and mangos smack you in the nose when you smell this one. They smell juicy enough to bite into. The smell of fresh cut pine trees is also in there. Upon further inspection, a light malt aroma is noticed that provides a counterpoint to the delicious hoppiness.

The flavor is much more subdued than the nose is. Grapefruit, pineapple and pine are prevalent, this transitions into a malt flavor and finishes off on the piney bitter side.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation is at the perfect level. Doesn't coat the mouth very much, rather slides over the tongue and down the throat, leaving your mouth very dry, although that only provides motivation for the next sip.

I have to say, this beer surprised me. I have not had the Brown Shugga and do not know how good it is, but after trying it's stand in, I certainly hope they do not permanently shelve this beer after this run. It is much to good for that.

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

Imbibed on 4/24/2012. I mention this because it is a double IPA that could have been fresher, though I don't think it would have changed my review much.

Poured a clear orange color with a light, airy head. Lacing is noticeable. Malt is very prevalent. Cereal, orange blossom sweetness. The hops are subdued for a Lagunitas brew. They're there but it's not a wallop like it could have been. Good malt backbone comes through in the taste. Orange prevalent again, a good amount of citrus with a bit of zest. Little hop flavor, somewhat grassy. Not too bitter for the IBUs. Subtle. I just called a Lagunitas beer subtle. Wow.

This reminded me of Two Hearted a lot. The malt is similar to TH, but it has more meat on its bones. I was expecting the hops to play a bigger role and I feel that the malt was a bit too thick and overpowering for my taste. Good, but I didn't go bananas over it. Also, it doesn't really profile as a DIPA.

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful light golden color with 2 fingers of head. The smell of very strong citrus fruits hits the nose, smells of lemon peel, oranges, and slight dankness from the hops. The taste is really where this brew shines. Very sweet initially, tastes of pineapples, oranges, and sweet lemons. Very little pine in the aroma and the taste. A slight bit of dryness and just a smidgen of bitterness really pulls this beer together. A light mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation, this stuff is very easily drinkable.

I am surprised, this one lives up to the hype. A really spectacular and superbly drinkable DIPA.

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass

A - 3.00 - Poured a very clean gold, formed a nice two fingers of pearl white, dense creamy head. Great had retention and potential, nice, soapy lacing on the glass. Color looks like a standard domestic brew.
S - 4.50 - Sweet hops, grapefruit, apples, peach, mango, oranges, pineapple, persimmons. Extremely bright, vibrant and tropical.
T - 5.00 - Delicious. Super well balanced, perfect amount of sweet fruits and savory, bitter hops.
F - 4.25 - Decently creamy, good mouthfeel.
O - 5.00 - My idea of a perfect IPA, definitely a must try for fans of the style!!!

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I never had the beer this is a substitute for, but if it is better than this I really hope to try it one day! Great beer. I am further editing my review to say that this has become one of my absolute favorites in a long time. the beer definitely has just a little bit of sweetness, but nothing overpowering at all. It's just enough to make this unique. At the same time I bought this beer I managed to obtain a bunch of Pliny the Elders. Though I love Pliny as well Lagunitas kind of spoiled the Pliny experience for me as I found it was the Lagunitas Sucks I kept reaching for. And I can find it easily in my local beer shop which is an added plus.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours our a light amber color slightly hazed with a few carbonation bubbles. Head starts from a three finger head to one finger when resting.

The aroma smells like Christmas because at first the strong pine hop flavor hits the nose. Hops are the dominate aroma.

The taste is strong with pine and citrus hops but sweet malt is present from start to finish.

This Ale is the perfect gift for a hophead. I give a thumbs up~~~

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

Had on-tap at Pinocchio's in Media, PA. Poured a very clear orange color...almost looked watered down. No head to speak of. No lacing. Didn't look too enticing, but the aroma was better...citrus...grapefruit...a touch of sweetness. Taste is definitely complex...a lot of flavor comes through. I swear I tasted mango in there though that might have been the grapefruit flavors mixed with lemon...whatever it was, it was pretty darn good. Unfortunately finishes really dry and bitter...that is always the downfall for me with DIPA's which I rarely enjoy. Though tasty, it's not really sessionable...at least not for me.

Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Pretty dry but still good and worth a taste!

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Brown Bottle.

A: Pours light golden brown with a thick white head. Good retention
with sticky lacing.

S: A strong mixture of Pine, citrus fruits, grapefruit, mango? Some alcohol
and more pine.

T/M: Creamy smooth. Starts off bitter with a strong burst of hop flavors.
A mixture of pine and citrus leads to a somewhat bready taste. More hops.
The finish is pretty clean with only a hint of bitter hop aftertaste. A warm
but not overbearing alcohol kick throughout. Nice balance.

O: An extremely dangerously good beer. Hop heavy, but still well balanced.
Even with the higher ABV, it's smooth and easy to drink. A top rate double
IPA.

Cheers!!!

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2013 RELEASE: The most recent batch I tried - labeled 351 from the year 2013 - resembled dead grass and stale malts. I fear Sucks has taken a step back as of late, so I am dropping my score a point. Hopefully Sucks next year can bring it back to 4.75 territory, but this year's batch certainly wasn't one of the best IPAs in the world. Far from it.

2012 RELEASE: one of the best DIPAs in the world. tropical fruits galore, with just the right amount of malt backing. faint alcohol presence, and a surprising lack of bitterness -- significantly less bitter than Maximus or several other Lagunitas offerings. this beer sits alongside Pliny and Heady Topper as my favorite DIPAs. great job Lagunitas. 4.75

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into hill farmstead glass

A - golden orange body. thin white whisp of a head. fades quickly to a ring with nice lacing.

S - pine, hop resin, orange peel, bread malts.

T - orange peel and bubblegum backed with a grass hop bite. fades into a vanilla flavored middle and then pine hop blast at the end. so good.

M - light bodied with lots and lots of carbonation. good astringency.

O - fantastic brew.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a lovely oranged yellow, almost golden, with a great big slightly cream white head that sits at over two finger widths. The body is light and translucent, with only the faintest mist of haze, and a steady stream of gentle carbonation bubbles working to the top of the glass. The beer’s lacing is droopy and thin, leaving a spatterwork of hanging sheets upon the sides of the glass. On the nose the beer smells big with minty pine, a touch of citrus, and a faint touch of salty onion. The grains are found only as the lightest backdrop for the smell, suggesting slight toasty bread and caramel. On the tongue, the beer tastes bitter with a nice light sweet tinge. The beer begins with sweet bitters before opening into slightly caramelly herbal bitters that lightly suggest mint and onion. The finish runs with a light touch of orange citrus and is strong with pine, which lasts into the finish. The aftertaste is light with medicinal bitters and piney hops. On the mouth, the beer feels medium-light in body, with just the faintest gelling to suggest a heavier beer. The carbonation leaves a decent prickle on the tongue, and after the beer leaves the mouth is left sticky-dry, with a bitter astringency gripping at the tongue, though the mouth is clean. Overall, I’m a little disappointed with Sucks… Lots of people are heralding this beer as an amazing DIPA, but honestly I see it more as a strong IPA, falling just short of the bigger flavors that a DIPA carries. The beer is nicely drinkable, and carries some nice bitters, but the onioniness that this beer has is throwing me off the taste, and other than that I fine the hop profile a little lackluster in terms of complexity. Just to clarify, I have tried a six-pack of these now, and all of them have had the slight onion flavor, which is odd and I suppose I will chalk up to an older pack (though they had spent less than a week on the shelf when I picked them up…). This beer is a mediocre almost-DIPA, in my book, but is not really worthy of hunting down.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rushed out like a mad man when I read online that this was available at the LCBO, here in Toronto. Couldn't wait to open it and then....thud. What? I mean this is drinkable....has a nice barley taste, albeit a bit dry, but why on earth is this so highly rated? IPA it is not, the nose is foul and just an overall lack of something(s) make this a beer you know....meh to drink....but definitely not seek out. Someone said the nose was: pine, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple. Here is me telling you that it is NONE of those things.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours a pale golden color; thumb-width head, medium lacing, good retention

S: Smells of sweet, sticky, tropical sugary hops. The aroma just blasts you in the face with delicious fruity hoppiness.

T: Just like the nose: lightly bitter hops with big floral notes of tropical fruit and sweet sticky candy. Delicious!

M: Medium-light viscosity with a good helping of tingly carbonation; no hint of booze at all.

O: Another score for Lagunitas. I was very disappointed when I heard that they weren't releasing Brown Shugga, but this definitely makes up for it. Hop heads rejoice, this brew is brimming with big floral/fruity hops!

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass.

A: Crystal clear golden color with some amber hues. Relatively aggressive pour leads to a small one-finger pure whit head that retreats slowly leaving behind a whirlpool look of white swirling foam. Lacing is consistent and thick. It's the lack of good head that knocks down the number here.

S: Hoo boy...this was an unexpected punch in the face delivered by a fist full of hops. Piney hops hit first followed closely by grapefruit rind. Malt presence is there but definitely overpowered by the hop goodness. This brew has one hell of a nose.

T: Dee-lish. Extremely hop-forward full of zest and flavor. Grassy bits of lemon and grapefruit zest along with some mango. It's a really wonderfully flavored IIPA. Malt again takes a 7th row seating back seat to the mix of hops that come in this brew. It's there, but a total hindsight, yet it's not unbalanced, quite the opposite.

M: Crisp finish with creamy coating. Perfectly carbonated. Hop oils coat the mouth and make me pucker like the elite IIPAs on the market.

O: I swear that if this beer was brewery release only and didn't have the distribution Lagunitas does, it would be getting oodles more hype than it currently does. This is one of the best IIPAs I've had and I'm excited that they're re-releasing it as Holiday Leftovers. BRAVO Lagunitas. Bravo.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

You hear about it ad nauseam around the holidays. Every beer store is boasting they have it, the charge an arm and a leg for it and then I found it in a grocery store for a reasonable price and picked it up. I did not go into this one with high hopes. I have not really had a good experience with the other beers I have had from this brewery, maybe I just like East coast breweries, or at least from the Rockies eastward. Anyway, I was actually really impressed with this one. The color and everything was lighter than I had expected it to be. The smell was sweet candy, with some hops present. The taste was where it was at. This beer was very well balanced. A great mixture of hops and sweetness. I have been on a lighter beer trend lately and for some reason I expected this one to be more on the darker side. I was overly surprised with this one and I will have to say they did make a beer that I enjoyed. I will try this one again next year and I hope it remains consistent. I have heard it may become more of a year round thing. Which might lighten its luster a bit, but over all I would try this one from time to time, if I caught it on sale like I did this time.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Orange-amber, but mostly transparent color, with a minimal head.

S: Millions of citrus notes coming at you, right from the get-go, along with a good deal of brown sugar in the background.

T: Delivers on the aroma -- a mouthful of citrus and hops, along with malt.

M: Light and balanced -- deceptively easy to drink considering a decent ABV.

O: One of the lightest and best double IPAs around -- made even better by its wide availability here in CA. There aren't a ton of DIPAs that fall into the "every day beer" category, but Sucks qualifies.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours a very light, clear goldish color. Almost looks like a light lager it's so clear. Very small head.

S - Big hit of grapefruits and pine in the nose. Decent amount of sweet malt in the background.

T - A little sweet on the start, fades into that citrusy grapefruit, before turning into a good amount of bitter, piney hops. But that wasn't all. It finished with a little kick of tartness--almost lemony at the end. Very impressive.

M - It's smooth while high in carbonation. Alcohol sits back nicely.

Overall - I've been a self-described critic of Lagunitas. This one though, changes my mind. It's a solid IPA and very nice for the Holidays. Flavors present were great. Well done.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Transparent light golden appearance with a thin white head

S- Heavy hints of Grapefruit and other cirus with a heavy hop aroma.

T- A lot like the smell, but with more of a cirtus flavor with a hint of pine and a perfect amount of hoppiness.

M- Lightly carbonated and Alcohol is not overwhelming.

O- Very good IPA I would definatley purchase this beer again when given the chance

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a quart bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour produces about 3/4 inch of white, frothy head which dissipates to lace in about 5 minutes. The good thing about pouring a quart bottle into a sampler though, is you get to pour alot. The beer is a pale golden with moderate to high carbonation.

It has a certain hop profile that I associate with this brewery- it's unique and hard to put your finger one- complex yet curiously balanced with a certain subtlety. I looked up a clone recipe for this beer, and it calls for five different hop varieties. No brown sugar, which strikes me as a bit weird- isn't this supposedly a substitute for a brown sugar ale? Nothing about brown sugar on their website (or this one). Did they run out of brown sugar? Confusing.... Pretty meaty malt bill, with wheat and oats, but no rye (in the clone recipe, that is).

Lots of floral and citrus aroma-flavors, with alcohol undertones, as you might expect- but the latter are quite slight. Some rye spiciness if evident. Backing it all is a pretty light bodied pale malt profile, perhaps lightened somewhat in mouthfeel and perceived body by the wheat and especially the rye (is there brown sugar in this?- inquiring minds want to know, or is this like a Coen brothers film). Anyway, it's definitely well-balanced, and the somewhat light body makes this rather unique to me, and perhaps dangerous. It may be a little oily on the tongue, with lingering but rather mild hop bitterness.

I love the quart bottles- one reason why I bought this beer- to bottle my homebrew. I had fond memories of brown sugga ale, which I haven't reviewed here, because evidently they %O$#@) up royally and stopped making it, or some ridiculous thing. Anyway, this is an intriguing beer, with the hops lingering precariously on the edge of balance with a curiously low bodied beer with a pretty high alcohol content.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pours a perfect IPA orange-gold with a half-finger of white foam. Nice lacing.

S- Smell oozes tropical fruit - mango and pineapple, namely - like a hoppy piña colada.

T- Clean, grassy and bitter, with plenty of tropical fruit and just a touch of more traditional west coast IPA flavors like pine and citrus. Orange peel and lemon become more prominent later. The bright, juicy flavor just shines. But it fades somewhat quickly without a really well balanced malt profile to lend more body and sweetness. A bit thin in that regard.

M- Mouthfeel is soft, soapy and a bit thin. But abundant bitter hops give a nice, long finish.

Overall, I prefer my DIPAs a bit bigger in body, with a little more malt sweetness. That said, the juicy hop smack this beer is able to achieve is remarkable. Also one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company