Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,233 |  Reviews: 1,610

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: into a pint glass, deep gold ber with a firm 2-finger head of off-white foam, nice laciness

S: pale and sweet malts, some notes of pine and citrus hops

T: light malt backbone, crisp and fresh-tasting, hops come through with resin and grapefruit, some pine and citron

M: light-bodied, particularly for a DIPA, brisk but moderate carbonation, clean finish

O: a very good beer, but less heavy than most of its peers which makes for an almost session-able drink; I'd certainly buy it again, but I think the hype exceeds the beer

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too malty, not much aromatic hops

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle. Pours a semi translucent light amber color with a thin ring of head. Some lacing. Smells wonderful. Tropical fruits. Pineapple,mango, orange and some others. Taste is hoppy with the tropical fruits again. Definitely can tell this is a Lagunitas beer. Bitter orange near the end. Somewhat oily. Certainly one of the lightest Dipas I've had but I can't really hold that against it. Easy to drink, hoppy and tasty. Overall, I need more of this.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear gold with a smaller white head. A fairly nice lacing.

S: Grapefruit, a bit of floral and pine hops as well as some sweetness as well. A tiny bit of cattiness.

T: Lots of juicy, resinous, grapefruit hops, as well as lemon and a bit of carmel maltiness as well. Bitter grapefruit hops with some alcohol in the finish.

M: Medium to lighter body. Pretty average carbonation and mouthfeel.

O: Very good. I wish I could of had this a bit fresher, since I think the hops might of faded a bit. Drinks fairly well, nice and smooth hop profile that doesn't have a super bitter bite.

Update on 12/16/13 (updated score). Drinking one today that was bottled on December 6th. Really good, nice tropical, fruity hop profile. Very smooth.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane.

Poured a surprisingly clear and golden color, with a big, sudsy white head that took its time dropping, leaving lots of lace on the sides of my glass.

HUGE piney hop scent, so big it smacks your palate before you even begin to drink it.

More balanced and less hoppy than the nose indicated. Sure, things begin with a piney hop blast, but quickly change over to a softer, mellower hop flavor that is balanced well by some unobtrusive malts.

A little bit lighter in the body than I was expecting, but not to a great degree. Slightly resiny yet modestly dry mouthfeel.

This beer goes down far more easily than I initially expected from its hoppy scent. I just wish I'd bought more bottles, as I could drink this all night.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Drank from a 12 fluid oz's bottle acquired in a trade with celticfutblclub
Served in a snifer

The liquid poured a slightly hazy amber color and was topped by a small, creamy head of off-white froth. Tiny droplets of lacing trickled down the sides of the glass.

The sweet, hoppy nose was dominated by strong tropical fruit notes. Papaya was was quite prominent. Lots of mango too. A slight mustiness was also detectible. The hops were backed by a moderate, caramel-like sweetness. Orange peel came through as well.

The flavor profile was similar to the nose, though not quite as punchy. Again, tropical fruit notes of papaya and mango came through strong. Lots of citrus. The hops were nicely balanced by a stiff yet unobtrusive malt backbone. A touch of grapefruit pith appeared on the finish.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Smooth and slightly creamy with a fine, moderate effervescence.

Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale is rather straight forward in its aroma and flavor profile, yet it is quite impressive nevertheless. Unlike most balanced IPAs that rely on loads of caramel malts to smooth out the hoppy bitterness, Sucks seems to do this by keeping the malts to a minimum and using a hop profile that is both fruity and bright.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Pale golden body, chill haze, steady carbonation streams, topped by level five fingers plus of snow white bubbles of all sizes. Dense tight lacing.

Huge inviting aroma of fresh fruit and pine.

Light but firm malt puts down a good base. Juicy fruit engulfs the mouth. Sharp bitter bite at the swallow. Bitter and juicy entwine throughout a long lingering afterglow.

Good medium prickly mouthfeel.

Sucks does not. A terrific IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden color with brilliant clarity. Rocky, bubbly white head reaches its apex at about two inches and doesn't even think about budging. Excellent retention. Lacing is clumpy and very sticky.

S: Smells like a Lagunitas beer: bursting with citrusy and tropical hops, with some of those juicy/candied and floral elements as well. Pineapple, mandarin orange, and a dank hop scent are most apparent. Doughy malt base.

T: A quick burst of pineapple, orange, and mango on the attack is quickly snuffed out by a tide of pine resin and grapefruit bitterness. Pithy and dank hop flavors follow, along with fruity and juicy tastes. Malt base is doughy and slightly sweet. Finishes with grapefruit bitterness and some fading tropical fruits.

M: Medium bodied. Full and smooth on the palate. Ample carbonation helps to round it out and add a refreshing aspect.

O: Nothing about this beer is bad. In fact, it's a very good beer, all told. It just feels a little monotonous at this point. It's like listening to a great song over and over again until you get sick of it. This beer just feels like every other beer Lagunitas has done.

Notes: I realize that this is just a stand-in for Brown Shugga', but come on Lagunitas. Get a little creative. Brew me something besides a mash-up of every other IPA you've ever done. Not what I'm looking for in the dead of winter either. Poor choice for a winter seasonal, even if it is temporary. Lagunitas sucks. (insert smiley emoticon here)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a politically correct Lagunitas mason jar/pint glass and the brew is a clear straw color yellow with a nice small bubbled white head with nice winnowy lacing on the glass. Small carb bubbles surface slowly and the aroma is heavy spruce hops with a touch of malts just shining through. Ok, I'm gonna get honest here. Waiting on this puter and internet to load up, I killed this brew before I knew it. Things change on swishing and sucking this on my palate. Very forward on grapefruit/citrus hops, again with the malts playing the cymbals in the background. This is a great FN beer to Me. Since I am fairly new to real beer, I never had the chance to try last year's Brown Sugga, but this is definately a brew that needs to be on the shelf year round. I can find no faults with this one. For me it edges out Bell's 2 Hearted as my favorite in this beer style (of
the 5 American IPA's that I have tryed thus far). singing "Lagunitas Lagunitas I adore you" .... then out of the corner of my eye I see the guys with the backwards fittin white jackets headed my way ...

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into nonic. Pours clear golden with a white head that settles to a cap and leaves some patches of lace. Aroma is pine, tropical fruit, bread, alcohol. Taste is firm bitter orange peel, pine resin, and tobacco followed by subtle bread and caramel sweetness. Medium bodied, oily, creamy, and thick texture, average-to-lively carbonation, and a long, bitter finish.

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%

Ripe peach and mango, juicy hop cones, west coast citric sugar. Pure single aroma, not complicated, just good.

Bright clarity to the deep gold colored glass (oversized chalice at the moment). Barely holds a thin spotty cover but a thin halo holds the edge and gives a little lacing

Watermelon rind soaked in hop oil. The levels of hops needed to pull such a heady nose takes its toll, deep bittering hop leaves go very earthy and cancel out a lot of the citric over time.

Prickly carbonation in an oily rich body

Yeah, Lagunitas Sucks. The lighthearted humility to lead with that line betrays the confidence of the brewers. These guys are on target and firing for effect. Clean, powerful, fresh, love these guys.This hop monster is an entertaining sipper on a cold night.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Clean golden with a massive head of off-white suds. Exquisite lace.

Aroma: Bittering citrus hops, with a twist of tropical fruit notes. Nice.

Taste: More of the bitter, acidic citrus and pine hops up front, with some submerged tropical notes underneath. A solid IPA for sure, but somehow not one I’d care to revisit. A hop bomb, and tailor-made for hardcore hop-fetishists.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%