Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,238 |  Reviews: 1,611

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Looks good. Tasty. Nice color. Pale. Smells hoppy and tastes incredible. It's really one of Lagunitas' best beers. But then I like most of their beers. The mouth feel is full, balanced, and smooth. Juicy, Tasty. Lovely.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a big fan of overly hopped beers....still it was tolerable for me and although I will not buy this again I wouldn't consider it horrible and would drink it again if it was offered to me free.

Talk about a happy accident. Lagunitas was unable to produce its popular Brown Sugga in 2010, and came up with this as a compensation for their fans. In my opinion, this is their best brew. It is a totally complete beer, hence my 5 rating. This is one of the very best beers I have ever had.

Look- Beautiful, transparent, amber body. The head is snow-white an holds up quite well.

Smell- This may be the best feature of this beer. Pineapple and mango hit the nose right away. You can detect just a little malt. This aroma is exceptionally appetizing.

Taste- The pineapple/mango carry over. Rather than tang or sweetness, there is a dry bitterness and a medium overall strength. Amazingly, you can't detect the 7.85 % ABV.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean. Slightly astringent. Finish is also clean with just a little creaminess. Aftertaste is a lingering and mildly bitter.

Overall- Anyone who reads my reviews can easily tell that I am partial to stouts. If I am going to consider varying my routine, this would be my first consideration, hands down. This is a unique brew that is a must-try for ale or IPA fans. Additionally, certain beers to which I have given all 5s or really close to such have had inconsistent batching issues. I have, therefore, reduced my overall ratings for them. This particular beer has always maintained the same level of quality, and this also helps earn it a perfect score.

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Clear, foamy head with streak lacing. Golden amber color. Aroma is citrus, tropical fruit, and light floral notes. Flavor is bread, orange, passion fruit, grain, and herbs. Sweeter up front with some resinous hop oil bite in the finish. A decent beer overall.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice hazy brew. Actually loving the scent of this , its big with sweet orange and tropical fruits. I like the flavor of this too. It's a caramel flavored take on an IPA that I can handle with sweet malt citrus at the start and a medium bitter hop finish. Flavors blend well and it's decently complex. Creamy and medium at least in mouthfeel.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company