Lagunitas Sucks | Lagunitas Brewing Company

#453

Ratings: 10,385 |  Reviews: 1,648
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

What a great surprise to find this on my trip to my parents for thanksgiving!

The pour is what you would expect from an ale, gold in color with a one inch head that disposed quickly. A cool note is that it continued to effervesce til the glass was empty. The smell was awesome with hops and citrus. Mouthfeel was thin as it should be. The taste was really nice and dominated by hops with a mild citrus on the short finish. Overall a really nice beer. Crazy that this might be a one off, I would buy this year round! Nice work Lagunitas!!!

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

My wife picked this up for me the other day and I tried it yesterday for Thanksgiving.

Appearance- copper color, thin head

Smell- floral hops

Taste- floral hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- very good, well balanced, good hop flavor, nice to see another christmas beer that is an IPA

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

A - A bit lighter than I expected (expected an amber brown) got a pure golden yellow, tons of carbonation with a half inch of thin looking head.

S - Smells of their typical offering big juicy citrus and pineapple with a little vanilla and brown sugar sweet malts.

T - A bit lighter than their other offering and it does seem a bit more malt forward (which is a surprise since most of their offerings are hoppy) but its still mighty tasty. Starts with a bit of sugar cookie and then I get a pretty sweet vanilla and I can detect some spicing from nutmeg or brown sugar and a mildly hoppy finish.

M - Light to medium pretty good since it's almost 8 percent (DIPA territory)

Overall this is another great offering from Lagunitas which to me is an actual holiday (winter warmer) since it's more malt forward. Sucks is actually very good!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A – Vibrant orange color that is crystal clear, small 1 finger head that has some mild retention.

S – Potent hop nose, just a great blend of pine/grass and tropical fruits, very mild sweet smell that lingers. The hops in this just dominate.

T – Just similar to the nose, a potent hop punch; a combination of pine/grass hops and some refreshing tropical fruits. The malt just adds a little sweetness to keep this beer from getting overly bitter, very well thought out recipe.

M – A little on the thin side, but for how robust and hoppy this beer is it doesn’t dilute it, the carbonation is pretty impressive also. The hops make this beer really sticky in the mouth, and kind of a nice change of pace.

O – Lagunitas you suck for not making Brown Shugga’ this year, but I am happy with the replacement. Would love to see this be added to the year round releases, but doubt it will happen. Again, Lagunitas makes a solid IPA, WINNING!

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into my Lucille pint glass. A very nice substitute. Good hop forward Winter Warmer as opposed to so many brews that get too carried away with spices and other stuff.
Nice flowery balance. For Lagunitas, this is a very balanced beer.
Well done for a substitute.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11/23/2011

Single 12oz bottle purchased at Olive Tree. Snifter.

A: Bright golden orange with great clarity and a big white sea foam head. Nice retention and lots of scattered lacing. The beer looks very inviting.

S: This is really potent, with big guava and papaya notes. Pine is pronounced and there's a decided marijuana note. I get mango and passion fruit as well. Malt imparts some cracker. This smells great like tropical fruit juice with floral aromatics.

T: Upper moderately bitter with big tropical notes. Guava accompanies grapefruit rind, pine resin, mango, and papaya. Malt lends a little sweetness and bread, with just a dash of cracker. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Lower medium in body with upper moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

Overall: Thanks to Olive Tree for selling singles or I might never have tried this. Now I'll get a 6 pack. This is very good. Perhaps I should try more beer from Lagunitas.

3.67/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Great Divide brewpub tulip. Not sure if Lagunitas bottle dates, but as far as seasonal offerings, I'm lead to believe this is fresh.

Watching: Blackhawks pregame. Hawks vs. Sharks.

A: Surprise! This is what happens when I pick a beer in a rush based on brewery alone. I saw a mention of Brown Shugga and thought this would follow suit as a darker beer. It didn't and looks very pretty. Golden copper, with amber and bright gold highlights. Consistent thin and lively carbonation, and produces some nice webbed lace.

S: Super juicy, tropical and floral citrus notes with some vanilla and honey.

T: Again, very nice, multi-layered fruits. Orange, pineapple, apricot. A bit of heat and ends almost sugary.

M: As far as a 7.8% IPA goes, this is definitely a beer I can have a few with watching this game. Crisp, with drinkable complexity.

O: Pretty happy about picking this up. It struck me as an odd seasonal but I was very pleasantly surprised. Will definitely buy again soon.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Crystal clear gold with a small, off-white head on top. Super deep, fruity hop nose...dank hop oils, tangerine, grapefruit, mango, some malt sweetness. Delicious oily hops flavor with surprisingly little bitterness. Sticky, resinous, buckets of fruit - orange, pineapple, mango. A little leafy and flowery. Very, very tasty. Slick, oily medium mouthfeel. Not especially holiday-like in any way - pretty much like many other Lagunitas beers - but very hoppy and delightful.

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light, clear, copper color with an above average amount of carbonation, which makes it look very lively and inviting. A small, white, frothy head appears and has decent retention, but fades to a thin ring. It is somewhat sticky as it leaves some solid lacing.

S: As it pours, an explosion of sweet tropical fruits blasts your nose. Pineapple, mango, and citrus-y grapefruit are particularly sharp. There is a light touch of piney hops at the finish. As it warms, the hops become more noticeable.

T: The taste has the same tropical fruits found in the nose, but they are toned down a bit. This allows the piney hops to have a bigger presence, which isn't bad at all. Citrus-y grapefruit again makes an appearance, while the hops provide a slightly bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied, this beer has a light bitter and crisp finish that effectively cleanses the palate. It may be a bit too carbonated for my liking.

O: This is an awesome IPA. Very fruity and a complete 180 turn from the traditional hop overload, rip your tongue off, west coast IPA. Very drinkable. I hope once Lagunitas starts making Brown Shugga again they don't abandon this one. This is a huge success.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle poured into tulip...
thick white foam...piney, citrus, strong hop aroma.
This is a very solid West Coast IPA. Citrus and floral dominating flavor; mellow finish.
All around good...taste is not overwhelming, but nice and balanced. Its so drinker freindly that I think this should make it into their regular line up; be it a seasonal regular or year-round.

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint.

a: crystal clear golden color with a thin head that settles into a thin lacing. unassuming.

s: nice hoppy aroma. i can tell this is going to be deliciously citrusy and refreshing.

t: nice hoppy flavor. big citrus notes with a subtle malty sweetness that keeps this beer well balanced.

m: enjoyable mouthfeel.

wow, laguintas really does suck! not because they didn't release brown shugga, but because they have been holding back this beautiful IPA from us! please don't make this a one-off brew. i would not mind seeing Pils or Hairy Eyeball get replaced with this one.

Lagunitas Sucks from Lagunitas Brewing Company