Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,349 |  Reviews: 1,636
4.01/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a honey gold with swirling bubbles upward towards a thin white head. Dissipates immediately. Smells of lots of nice sweet and grassy hops. Fresh fresh fresh! A bit of sweet bready malt, but it's dam. Hard to find. Taste begins a bit watery, followed by a resins hop flavor. Off the tree citrus, grass and some booze infused lemon zest. Malt backbone is tiny bits of white bread. Mouthfeel is a bit fizzy and thin.
I think the aroma wins here, but a really good ipa with a cool name. This brewery rocks

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip

Long golden pour with a sizzling, bubbling head. The white head falls fast and turns into a creamy lacing. Plenty of carbonation and sticky lacing.

Smells like a tropical fruit platter. Pineapple, mango and papaya smack the nostrils. Fantastic fruity and resinous hop aroma. Sticky sweet with just a fraction of bitterness.

Taste is a tropical fruit explosion with moderate bitterness. Pineapple and mango are most evident. Clean hop finish that is much more sweet than bitter. Simply delicious.

medium bodied, creamy brew that leaves the palate wanting more. Good burst of carbonation. Insanely smooth and drinkable. It gets better and better with each sip.

Not only does this beer not suck, it is down right terrific. The tropical fruit parfait, sticky sweetness and full bodied creaminess work in perfect unison. I will certainly not miss Brown Shugga if I have a supply of these on hand. A must try. No excuses.

4.84/5  rDev +12%

Like La'G? You'll love this!!!

Smell & taste are definitely pine & citrus. The pine wins out, but not in a rout. Man, this is fresh! This is my kinda' holiday brew! One to savor...wish it was around all year!

Keep your "spiced" seasonals...I'll have this instead!

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: clear, light gold, not much head or lacing to speak of.
Smell: in your face grapefruit somehow restrained. Personally I do not care for true grapefruit but this nose while reminiscent is much more appealing.
Taste: a grapefruit, floral assault but restrained somehow. Not rude at all, the implied bitterness never overruns. Tasty.
I will miss brown shugga and make no mistake, this in no way replaces it for me, but ya gotta love the brewery. Lagunitas sucks. Too cool, they own up and make a fine brew.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Grabbed a bottle of it at Bottlecraft. Less than $2! I can say for sure that Lagunitas didn't suck when it came to this one. Was expecting a more wintry brew rather than a pale ale.

Straw colored with a 1/2 finger head that left faint lacing. Looks refreshing and like a "lite" beer.

Great citrus hop aroma dominated by lemon and grapefruit. Reminds me of Alpine's Nelson a little bit.

Taste is complex hops, nearly no malt. Not balanced but very light in body which fits the hops perfectly if you like that sort of thing. Grapefruit, lemon again.

Light body, medium carbonation. This really is a perfect summer beer.... brewed for the holidays! Maybe they'll never make it again so enjoy it while you can.

3.57/5  rDev -17.4%

I will preface this review by saying that I am not a huge fan of Lagunitas beers. However, I do enjoy a late night Lagunits IPA on tap at my local bar which I claim as one of the best "sleeper" IPA's out there.

A - Nice color. Lacks the moon crater type head settle that I like and leaves a spit like foam on the glass.

S - The smell on a fresh cracked bottle is very exciting! However, the smell after poured in a glass is very sweet; almost burnt sugar or dried apricot or mango which is usually a good thing minus the burnt sugar.

T - It has the bitterness of nicely hopped IPA but is quickly countered by a sweetness that hits the pallet in a much too direct way. This beer suffers from an imbalance due, i would guess, to a lack of complexity from the malt bill.

M - The beer feels under carbonated or inproperly carbonated and slightly syrupy. The carbonation is sufficient but not reminiscent of a great IPA.

O - This beer as an IPA is very average to me. Rate beer calls this an an American Strong Ale, and, if I were to rate it as such may score it slightly better.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle picked up last night at the COOP.. poured into my Delerium goblet.. decent 1" white head... little lacing or cap.. the brew is clear golden/lite orange...

Nose is a tropical fruit bowl.. mango, melon and citrus.. pale malt sweetness moves the hops front and forward.

Okay bitterness up front.. musky fruity hops.. deep melon and mango... tangerine... papaya? sorta dries out toward the finish but still the fruit carries on forever... sorta musky melon with warmth... dank and dirty.. just sooo fruity.. wow.

Easily one of the most fruity Pale ALes that I've had ... maybe ever... Still tastes very fresh.. I would be hesitant to put this in an IPA category just because there isn't enough hop bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.19/5  rDev -3%

Tasted nov. 20th 2011 (from notes)

A - really nice orange/copper, very small very white head that doesn't last and no lacing

S - weed, pineapple, island fruits, lots of hops, very sweet smelling, yeasty, citrus, earth and more weed

T - resin, weed, pineapple, citrus, alcohol, very hoppy, pine needles, sweet malts, funky yeast, herbs, minerals, soil and fresh cut flowers

M - medium body, medium acidity, medium complexity, decently balanced and long finish

D - this overly hoppy, very tasty and refreshing all is another great beer from a great seasonal brewery. If you like lagunitas, weed and hoppy ale, dive in dude

Final thought - $9 a six and almost 8% and taste like sticky icky

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a pale tangerine-amber with a finger of bright white head. Big hop aroma with pineapple, tangerine, floral notes, and a good dose of caramel sweetness.

Moderate carbonation and a somewhat light mouthfeel. Lots of pineapple, pink grapefruit, and tangerine up front followed by honey, caramel, and a fruity/floral tang on the tail end mixed with mild pine. Not too bitter but bursting with hop flavor. Hardly any alcohol presence noted -- this one drinks easy but packs a lot of flavor.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Pours a bright orange marmalade color with decent head and lacing.

S - Pineapples, mangos, tropical fruitiness, tangerines, pears....very juicy with a tinge of resin. Phenomenal.

T - Tropical fruits, tangerines, resinous pine, bitter hoppy finish that lingers on and on.

M - Medium-Light. Perfect carbonation, slightly astringent without being overly dry and puckering.

O - I wasn't expecting this beer to be so damn great. I'll take this over Brown Shugga any and every year.

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a guinness glass.

Appearance- Clear golden orange with a small white head. 4.5/5

Smell- Piney and grassy hop aroma with a candy sweet background. 4/5

Taste- Grassy hops encompassed in an orange candy sweetness. Good bitterness that doesn't last very long due to the malt backbone. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Thicker side of medium. Almost slick in the end. 3.5/5

Overall- I usually don't like IPAs that are this sweet but this one is not that bad. Maybe I am partial because it is Lagunitas and I love them. Who knows? 3.5/5

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden with 3+ fingers of ivory colored head, Good lacing & average head retention

S: Grapefruit, floral hops & breadyness show as this warms

T: Follows the nose, some tangerine peel & bready notes up front. Pink grapefruit, some pine & woodyness as this warms, a touch of dryness, pears & a bit of honey too. Finishes piney with grapefruit

MF: Fairly chewy, firm carbonation, great balance

Easy drinker, as usual Lagunitas kicks ass!

12oz bottle in to a New Belgium Snifter

A: A nice orange/goldish color with very little head.

S: Very fruit forward smell.

T: Very smooth balanced beer. Really fresh taste with tons of different fruit tastes going on.

M: Medium body with a really crisp and slightly bitter finish.

O: This is a really well done beer by Lagunitas. Great holiday offering pick up if you have the chance.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

L - chill hazed golden color with a white head that left lots of lacing.

S - tropical fruits and grapefruit zest.

T - starts out with tropical fruit flavors and then a grapefruit rind bitterness finishes things off with no hint of alcohol in the taste just a nice warming after the swallow.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

O - very good example of the style.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company