Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

#413

Ratings: 10,308 |  Reviews: 1,624
4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours as yellow with a slight haze to it. Nose was fleeting, but it awakened a little as it warmed, giving off a very malty aroma with a slight fruity hop scent. Sweet maltiness on the tongue, bringing flavors of raisins and figs with a toasty caramel aftertaste. The brown sugar comes through more as it warms. There's a hop spice at the back end. It has a smooth medium body with moderate carbonation.

This is the second time I've had this and I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't know if I'd personally consider it a double or imperial IPA, but I'm not sure how else I'd classify it. But sometimes it's better to drink to than to classify (okay, it's ALWAYS better to drink).

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing juicy citrusy piney ale

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow! This tastes like skunk weed and in a good way.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -5.3%

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice hazy amber coloration into a standard pint glass. Wonderful hoppy smells and initial taste that tapers down to a nice malty sweetness. This is, in my opinion, the perfect balance between hops and malts. There's nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. I always have a bomber or a 6er of this in my beer fridge.

4.58/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I was not the biggest fan of the Brown Shugga, personal preference as a hop-head, but the Lagunitas Sucks was so highly rated, I had to try it when it came available. Glad I did. Nice earthy East Coast IPA aroma with a well-balanced malt background. This is a very nice beer that I will buy when it is available.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I should have done more research because the label duped the hell out of me. I was thinking along the lines of something dark and sweet (Brown Shugga'ish right) so the golden pour totally caught me off guard. But I must say I was WAY pleasantly surprised. I've only tried a handful of American Double IPA's but what won me over was the smoothness of this one vs the typical hoppy bitterness of the others. At $4.99 a quart, I'm definitely in for more.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Clear dark gold with a smooth white head.

Smell: YES! Very aromatic juicy hops.

Taste: Strong hop bitterness up front, fruity, citric, black tea. Into a somewhat sweet malt backbone, a bit spicy, lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Middle of the road. Suits everything else.

Overall: Blew me away. If you want a very aromatic DIPA, try it!

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - it's year round so I don't have to rate the appearance since I'm drinking it out of the bottle all the time right? Just kidding - nice clear golden Amber color with white head that sticks and leaves nice lacing.
S - big peach, papaya, tangerine, orange, citrus fruits mostly, some mild dank garlic onion ganja, then balanced out by sweet caramel malts
T - big hops - more pine and grapefruit in the taste, but again orange, tangerine, peach, mango, citrus fruits. Little bit of dank garlic onion ganja too. Lagunitas must have a proprietary blend of hops because all they're beers fresh have the same general smell and taste hop wise.
M - light medium, alcohol covered, aftertaste is pine and grapefruit peel
O - great beer, this is about 2 months old - the freshest I've seen in a while. I'd like to see this fresh more often, and I mean fresher than this.

Original review:
Huge hop character - dank, fruity, garlic/onion, pine, flowery, pretty much every character you can get from a hop. Then the complexity from the malts just blows it out of the water. You taste something new with every sip. I'll be stocking up on this one when I can get it fresh, glad it's become a year round beer!

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%