Lagunitas Sucks

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Lagunitas SucksLagunitas Sucks
Notes: This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
firstprev| 1601-1625 | 1626-1650 | 1651-1675  | next → last
Reviews: 1,658 | Ratings: 10,446
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip - 2011 limited release.
$9.99 a sixer from Kenny Road Market.

A: Pours a deep golden hue with four finger head w/aggressive pour. lots of tiny bubbles, very well carbonated .

S: Tons of Citrus ,slight pine, hops, floral grass.

T: Slight bitter hop punch with well blended citrus and floral grass -sweet malt is in there and does a wonderful job balancing this one out, decent amount of pine and oily resin.

O: Overall they should make this beer as a year round selection, Brown Shugga what?

Well done.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%

This is another one of those Lagunitas shockers - a beer so good you cannot believe it. The little sumpin's are all like this - amazing - and they are related in taste to. If you lked those, you will love this.

The aroma may be the best ever. One of. This isn't just a good holiday ale (it does not resemble others), this is a holiday treat that I hope to have on hand for any beer lovers that stop by. I am gong to buy a bunch.

Update: I went to one of my favorite stores and they have had a run on this. They only had a few singles (an I bought them all). Apparently they had a tasting event there yesterday that included this and it was a big hit. I concur!

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a transparent bright golden with foamy white head that doesn't really stick around, but the lacing is nice. Good looking. Dank pungent aromas, very funky! Honestly, it's just what you would expect from Lagunitas, and that goes for the aromas and flavors. Tons of ripe grapefruit and mango. Citrus notes along with some oily pine resin. Not too much malt going on. Mouthfeel is right on, smooth, and perfectly carbonated. Nice balance. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Easy to drink and leaves me wanting more. Dank!

This is why Lagunitas is awesome! I didn't expect anything less, and they delivered.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz Bottle poured into a large tulip glass.

A: A little thicker looking than your normal IPA, but this looks like an IPA to me. Nice sunset orange color w/ an eggshell colored head. Good amounts of thin resinous retention on this one.

S: WOW! This smells like a hopped up wheat beer and is very pleasant. A lot of fruity characteristics in this one. Apricots, peach, a little grapefruit. Very nice! A little astringency in there as well.

T: Dank taste on this one, a lot of flavor and a lot of balance. This is really hoppy w/ barely any noticeable bitterness. Loving this one. It's kinda of like a little sumpin sumpin but thicker and more complex.

MF: Smooth and creamy, kind of oily and resinous and very enjoyable, to say the least. Medium is body.

Overall, I really like this beer. I'm a hop said and I can say I like this better than Brown Shugga'. This is a great beer, and I would even go as far as saying this is a must try if you like Lagunitas.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light golden color with a thin white foam head that leaves a few rings of lace.

S- Holy moly, this baby is dank! Huge rush of tropical fruit and some sticky pine needles in the aroma.

T- A good deal of bitterness upfront with a nice smooth fruity hop flavor present throughout. Pear, pinneapple, lemon, and red grapefruit all make an appearance. The finish is slightly sweet and actually balances this brew quite nicely. The hop flavor isn't as pungent as the nose lead me to believe but I enjoy the complexity more than an all out one dimensional hop bomb. Even at nearly 8% the alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the flavor profile.

M- Light bodied with good carbonation.

O- Quite a surprise. I'm sad to not see Brown Shugga' this year but being the hophead that I am, this made for a very welcome replacement. Lagunitas sure can make IPAs with the best of them!

2.74/5  rDev -37%

I expected better - C:

A. Surprisingly tepid for a strong ale but a decent copper color. Good lacing. Great label.

S. The hop aroma was robust in both bottle and glass, clean piney notes popped.

T. Mild? Too smooth? Weak? Unbalanced bitterness. Average for sure.

B. Ineffectual, lacked the tongue caressing fullness of strong but not quite barley-wine beers.

Maybe a decent release in another season, as a Holiday Ale, not a winner for me.

4.22/5  rDev -3%

12 oz bottle into Deschutes tulip snifter

A - Awesome label with hilarious artwork and one of the best stories a beer could hope for. Brilliant marketing. Pours with a nice thick and frothy white head. Very aggressive pour yielded maybe 3 fingers worth. Oops. Pretty light copper color. Some haze but not murky. Nice lacing. Really a good looking beer. Enticing!

S - strong and delicious tropical fruit hop aroma. Makes sense as a holiday offering. Sort of like a starburst take on SN Celebration? Also enticing. And greets you with every sip.

T - does not disappoint. Follows the hop aroma but backs it up with an interesting malt bill. Very tasty. Exellent balance. Consistent throughout the drink.

M - soft and creamy. Some alcohol warmth and lingering bitterness in the aftertaste, but it's refreshing like peppermint.

O - Wow. It's definitely not trying to be Brown Shugga but this is a great beer in its own right. Frankly this is one of the best beers I've had from Lagunitas. It reminds me of a more refined version of fusion VII (which reminded me of a more refined Hop Stoopid)... Damn. This is good. Would be a great beer to session with if you aren't driving. Highly recommended!

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a pale golden color; thumb-width head, medium lacing, good retention

S: Smells of sweet, sticky, tropical sugary hops. The aroma just blasts you in the face with delicious fruity hoppiness.

T: Just like the nose: lightly bitter hops with big floral notes of tropical fruit and sweet sticky candy. Delicious!

M: Medium-light viscosity with a good helping of tingly carbonation; no hint of booze at all.

O: Another score for Lagunitas. I was very disappointed when I heard that they weren't releasing Brown Shugga, but this definitely makes up for it. Hop heads rejoice, this brew is brimming with big floral/fruity hops!

firstprev| 1601-1625 | 1626-1650 | 1651-1675  | next → last