Lagunitas Sucks | Lagunitas Brewing Company

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1,658 | Ratings: 10,437
3.64/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: light copper, slightly hazy with an off white head with decent lacing.
S: lots of pine from west coast hops, a bit of citrus.
T: piney with a little grassy finish. A bit of malty sweetness.
F: medium light body.
I: enough of a malty backbone to balance the hoppiness. Bitter, but by no means unpleasant. Overall a very good beer.

4.16/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a nice golden orange with a white head that's gone in a flash, nice lacing. Aroma is pine and citrus, so is the flavor, medium bodied, nice carbonation. Another very fine beer from Lagunitas.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L---Medium golden color. white head fades quickly to a film and leaves very good lacing.

S---Sweet, piney, fruity.

T---Citrus is first. Some light spice. Very sweet. Hops are in front of malts.

F---Wet. Good carbonation. No bitter tang.

O---This is a damn fine beer. Lagunitas makes good stuff generally and this is another fine example of their work.

4.04/5  rDev -6.5%

L: golden , clear, white head
S: mild, some bread, malt
T: nice balance, some bitterness, alcohol comes thru at finish
F: coats pallet, little fizz.

Brace yourself for the cat stroke! (You Carrier dudes & chicks will understand!) when you taste this one! This brew is AWESOME in all categories! AWESOME!!

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It pours a clear golden with a nice head. The hop presence is nice. With some tropical fruits, citrus and pine from the hops, the mix of grains and malts brings a cool west coast style taste to this beer

4.04/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Beer smells like fruit and hops, mostly spicy hops. Taste is malt and hops, this time citrus hops come out in a bitter ending. Mouthful is even, nicely carbonated, but finishes with a bitter aftertaste. Beer could be refreshing on a hot summer day, and overall has a medium feel to it.

To me, this beer would be just fine if it wasn't over-hopped. Taste isn't that bad just a tad too bitter for my liking.

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: a golden yellow with a clear white head that has great retention and wonderful lacing. Very pleasing to the eye!
S: I get a ton of fruit with not much pine. Very hoppy but good.
T: incredibly smoothe for an 8% ABV imperial IPA. A lot of wet hops.
M: easy drinking and smoothe as can be!
O: one of the best IPAs I’ve had. Great price as well for a 6 pack. Must pick up if you see it! (If you’re into IPAs)

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas really does suck in my opinion and ironically, this is the only one of their beers that doesn’t suck. They all taste the same to me, expect this one

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

I am always looking for something different and decided to try this since I like everything else I’ve had from Lagunitas. Very slight haze to a golden yellow color. It doesn’t really taste like a double IPA, very good balance of malt to hops. I didn’t detect the expected citrus notes but a solid pine bitter note with the faintest citrus coming from behind. There is an almost indescribable flavor on the back end that I can only describe as a single lick of a “bracht Carmel”. It’s not sweet, but it spurs the memory. It’s very enjoyable, as Chris Knight plays “down the river” on iHeartRadio. Too bad Houston fall weather consist of 90 degree plus temps. Hopefully it’ll cool off soon.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Good color with ok lacing. Terrific aroma. Taste is what you would expect, bitter. Has more of a tropical fruit flavor then old school west coast IPA. Good beer

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas Brewing Co. "Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Well this is lighter than I was expecting, I must have been confusing it with something else although I've definitely had it before on tap. I generally don't like to do reviews in bars though, there are too many different smells going on, and too many distractions. So, OK, it's a hazy golden and there's visible particulate in suspension. I'll assume that's yeast, I saw it come out of the bottle towards the end. Ahh, it just occurred to me that maybe I thought it was darker because it appeared that way at the bar. Anyway, the head is a creamy off-white which has already dropped to a thin surface covering and wide collar. I have a beer clean glass, by the way, I used it earlier so I'm not sure what the problem here is. The aroma displays a grainy, lightly caramelish malt with citrusy fruits and a bit of pine. It's clean and fresh and welcoming. The flavor follows and I'm finding notes of orange, light brown sugar, sweetened grapefruit, pineapple, and soft pine. It's not particularly bitter given the amount of sweet bread malt that's there, but it comes through, particularly in the finish. It's sweetish upfront but balanced in the end. Some citrus and pine lingers. It's definitely medium in body, almost medium-full, and the carbonation is fairly soft leaving it gently tingly on the tongue and then smooth. Nicely done. I'm not even finding the alcohol, what is it? 8% ABV, that's not a bad trick to pull off. Quite pleasant and enjoyable; I'll have to pick up some more.

3.86/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clear gold with consistent white lacing.

Musty, floral.

Sweet malt's unexpected but pleasant. Bready. Hops are soft, Chinook might be in there, something like but not Citra. A bit like Surly's Abrasive.

Thick-ish, low carb plays right.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I bought a case of this cause my buddy suggested it. Well it didn't last to long. Very potent, kind of thick feeling. A pinch of sweetness. Lagunitas definetly knows what they are doing cause ive had alot of there beers and they never disappoint.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The smell was quite hoppy and the taste follows the nose. The smell is like the resin on a violin bow. There is a great kick when the beer first hits your palate. The mouthfeel hit me quite hard and for a change, I liked it. Good carbonation. You may notice some pineapple, caramel, malts and an earthy bitterness. The finish was great with a creamy medium end.
Overall a great addition to their body of work.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle with no date, says 8% ABV (not 7.85%).
Wow! Pours amber-tinted golden, moderate white head with sticky lacing. Incredibly balanced aromas of nectarine and peach, tangerine and a little orange and ripe grapefruit, warm tropicals, just a tad lemon, some pine, a tad dank, mostly sweet. Taste is hop forward and bitter but incredibly balanced, with pine resin and grapefruit, orange, tropical fruit, some stone fruit, with a sweetness that cuts through the resinous hops. All the components line up humbly in their place, waiting for you to explore them, never overstepping, and creating a symphony on the palate. Feel is medium bodied, creamy enough. Finish is a pleasant variety of bitter, a combination of dryness with citrus peel freshness.
I loved this beer to the point that it may be better than Pliny. So happy to have found it!

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Golden brew, plenty of head and lacing

Slight pine and citrus smell.

Flavors follow the citrus theme - pineapple, lemon, and banana. Some white pepper spice on the finish. Crisp polished finish. some alcohol.

A bit atypical for a DIPA - but par for the course for lagunitas, but crisp and clean and hits enough marks to go back to it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

From a 355ml bottle served at 13 degrees Celsius into a snifter. The bottle has been aged (slightly unintentionally) for more than six months.

Look: The beer pours a clear amber with 4cm of off-white, creamy, dense head that settles into a craggy cap after 4+ minutes.

Smell: Moderate strength and well-balanced with hops and malts competing for attention. Notes of citrus (orange and grapefruit), floral hops, tropical fruit, and resinous pine. Some honey and a touch of soapiness.

Taste: Follows the aroma seamlessly. American/New World hops with notes of orange, grapefruit, pine, tropical fruit, and honey. The finish is quite long, strong, and bitter. Medium-dry and definitely not harsh.

Feel: Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Creamy with restrained alcohol warmth.

Overall: An outstanding beer with malts providing a fabulous backbone for the delicious hops. Very drinkable for an imperial IPA. Along the lines of Dogfish 90 Minute IPA - I'd be interested in trying these back to back. How I wish this was commonly available in Canada.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - pours a copper, clear color with a white foam head that lingers.
S -Piney, hops, papaya, bready and a light caramel scent and citrus.
T - some pineapple, caramel, malts and slight earthy bitterness
M - creamy and medium finish. Finishes dry with a light hop bitterness.
O - not sure how I feel about this one. It wasn't bad but nothing that would really make me buy it again.

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%

The appearance is a light orange/yellow colored yet somewhat hazy body, foamy white head appears and dies to a film coating the top of the beer. Some nice rings are left sticking to the sides of the chalice. The smell is an abundance of grapefruit up front backed up nicely by some light lime, lemon and pine. It comes across very strong as the beer sits on my coaster less than a foot away from my nose and I can still smell it. Some other hops are there but not as intrusive as the grapefruit ones. The malts are there slightly. The taste is bitter and eventually gets slightly sweet as the beer warms. The grapefruit is tasted all the way down. The palate is about a medium but doesn’t come across that sessionable with a sticky aftertaste, and gets slightly syrupy and the finish is dry, The ABV is hidden well. Overall, pretty nicely done DIPA well worthy of my time.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First things first. This beer in no way SUCKS!!

Pours an amber/gold into a fifteen ounce mug the same temperature as the beer. Just my thing. Two fingers of off white head that turns rocky as it settles. Lasts for a while. Decent lacing.

Hits the nose with the IPA signature big bold hops. Citrus, pine and ripe white grapefruit. Some sweet malts that form a good backbone to support the hoppy goodness. Resinous pine builds on the palate sip after sip. Not boozy at all. Perfect carbonation rounds out the medium mouthfeel.

Very drinkable. Sessional. I could drink this brew all day long. Just plain tastes good! Cheers.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Looks good. Tasty. Nice color. Pale. Smells hoppy and tastes incredible. It's really one of Lagunitas' best beers. But then I like most of their beers. The mouth feel is full, balanced, and smooth. Juicy, Tasty. Lovely.

2.5/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a big fan of overly hopped beers....still it was tolerable for me and although I will not buy this again I wouldn't consider it horrible and would drink it again if it was offered to me free.

Talk about a happy accident. Lagunitas was unable to produce its popular Brown Sugga in 2010, and came up with this as a compensation for their fans. In my opinion, this is their best brew. It is a totally complete beer, hence my 5 rating. This is one of the very best beers I have ever had.

Look- Beautiful, transparent, amber body. The head is snow-white an holds up quite well.

Smell- This may be the best feature of this beer. Pineapple and mango hit the nose right away. You can detect just a little malt. This aroma is exceptionally appetizing.

Taste- The pineapple/mango carry over. Rather than tang or sweetness, there is a dry bitterness and a medium overall strength. Amazingly, you can't detect the 7.85 % ABV.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean. Slightly astringent. Finish is also clean with just a little creaminess. Aftertaste is a lingering and mildly bitter.

Overall- Anyone who reads my reviews can easily tell that I am partial to stouts. If I am going to consider varying my routine, this would be my first consideration, hands down. This is a unique brew that is a must-try for ale or IPA fans. Additionally, certain beers to which I have given all 5s or really close to such have had inconsistent batching issues. I have, therefore, reduced my overall ratings for them. This particular beer has always maintained the same level of quality, and this also helps earn it a perfect score.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

Clear, foamy head with streak lacing. Golden amber color. Aroma is citrus, tropical fruit, and light floral notes. Flavor is bread, orange, passion fruit, grain, and herbs. Sweeter up front with some resinous hop oil bite in the finish. A decent beer overall.

Lagunitas Sucks from Lagunitas Brewing Company