Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,576 | Ratings: 10,114
4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Double IPA with a color somewhere between golden and coppery with a healthy white foamy lacing. Before you even sip this beer there is a very strong, pleasant citrusy / hoppy smell that hits you. The taste confirms the smell. It has a strong grapefruit flavor with more subtle pine and orange flavors and a hop profile that seems stronger than the 65 ibu it is listed as. It has some definite bitterness, but it isn’t overwhelming like some DIPAs. I would say it is about equal to that of a standard grapefruit. The bitterness doesn’t linger and you are left with a very crisp, refreshing feeling at the end of the drink. This would be a great DIPA or a great beer in general on a summer day. It’s not the best DIPA I’ve ever had, but it’s definitely up there and even though IPAs aren’t typically my favorite. Lagunitas is a brewery that I really like overall and it’s cheaper than many others that I think are inferior to it and this beer confirms that.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Looks clear golden orange with lightly streaming carbonation, a thick, sticky off white head, and leaves sheets of lacing.

On the aroma, you get pine upfront, and then zesty, spritzy citrus oils; orange peel, a bit of grapefruit, and then some underlying peach and pineapple.

On the palate, upfront you're smacked with lots of grapefruit and pithy orange. This transitions into sweeter tropical fruits; peach, pineapple, and a touch of mango. There is an underbelly of malt sweetness, biscuit bordering on caramel, but smooth and not obtrusively sweet or sugary. The finish transitions to a sharp bite of pine sap and the characteristic Lagunitas chalk/rubber note, but it's a faint suggestion here and not obnoxious and detracting like some of their other beers. Finishes surprisingly clean, neither super dry nor overly sweet, with only a touch of bitterness and lightly lingering pine needles and orange pith.

The mouthfeel is medium, medium-lightly carbonated, very smooth and bordering on creamy. Lightly dry on the finish.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Gonna be a short one from a 12 oz bottle...

This is Lagunitas' Lil' Sumpin Ale with a sweet kick to it. Not really my thing, but they nailed the goal of what they were looking to accomplish. I'm going East Coast vs West Coast on this with Founder's vs Lagunitas. This is what AB vs Miller should have been.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Last one of six I purchased and drank a week or so ago. It has a definite strong smell to it and a strong taste, but one I can enjoy. Not something I can drink all day, but one I'd drink again. I bought the six pack in May and apparently they were brewed in January (according to description). I poured it into a beer glass and saw little to no foam and only a little nit of lacing. Still enjoyed it though!

Tastes and smells like a beer!

3.52/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale, 7.85% ABV, 63 IBU, American Double/Imperial IPA style. Well let's see if it lives up to its name. Pours medium thickness, orange/golden, a bit hazy, 5+ fingers of foamy white head that stuck around, spotty lacing. Nose is sweet malt, taste is malt and some funky bitter tastes I can't identify. OK mouthfeel, and overall I can't say it sucks, though I'm not a fan. I do like it better than the Brown Shugga' it is a substitute for!

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Very drinkable beer. Really well rounded with the hops and citrus flavors working well together. I think this is a good bargain @ $9 a sixer. Will buy again.

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Golden orange color. Hint of citrus and floral smell. I was expecting this beer to be a bit more hoppy. Sweet malt finish. Overall a very solid beer.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on draft at Lagunitas Taproom Chicago in a 16oz pint. This is a beast of a brew and although I would choose Brown Shugga over this Substitute this is still a massive brew. Extreme fruity tones throughout making it hard for me to even distinguish what is what. With lacing left for days, it tastes great and is almost just as fun to drink and put down constantly to see all the rings left on the glass. It's a bitter beer so you have to get used to that, but it's well done.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy honey color. The nose is heavy, sugary, and floral. Heavy mouthfeel. Caramel and brown sugar permeate the hops, and it gets sweeter with each sip. This is a good IPA. The sweetness keeps the piney bitterness at bay, but it's still not overwhelmingly sweet.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pretty great beer and I found it at $5.00 a sixer in Moline, Illinois. Very fruity and easy to drink as are all Lagunitas offerings. Lagunitas has a distinct flavor and this is one of their best!

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, vibrant light copper in color with abut under a finger of white head, average retention. Aroma is very subdued and lacks the hop presence if expect from a DIPA. It's skewer towards caramelly malt with a touch of citrus. Taste is an improvement with spiny more citrus and some pine but a substantial malty-ish presence. There is a touch of caramel and a light sweetness that segues to a decent bitterness that balances the beer and lingers a bit in the finish. Decent mouthfeel, medium body and medium-low carbonation. Overall a good beer but not one that I expect to seek out again. I'll give this another shot if I find it again given my affinity for Lagunitas, I'm a big fan of pretty much every other beer I've had from them but I'm disappointed.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Smell: fragrant, sweet citrus, fruity, pineapple. Taste: sweet malt, grapefruit juice, great mouth feel. Finish: orange rind, pleasant pine bitterness. Very well integrated alcohol - doesn't feel boozy for the high 8%. (bottle code 033 6 2 0932 2012)

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I pour this from a bottle into a clear teardrop glass. It pours a hazy golden color with a two finger white head. The awesome smell immediately hits your nose. It's very grapefruity, heavy on the hops. What a great beer!

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

After having back-to-back with FW Double Jack, man this almost comes across as Double Jack Lite (more so than Union Jack).

Finish comes off as a touch more short and watery. But seriously...fresh at $10 a sixer, this is hard to beat!

I love Maximus and Hop Stupid, but I can see the genius here! Glad Petaluma is right up the road!

Grade 93+/94-, A all day!

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured an aggressive finger of head into pint glass. Dark, almost burnt orange color produced a very citrus, floral aroma. Taste was filled with great citrus flavors such as grapefruit, orange, and even mango. Nice hop presence as well. Lacing proved how dank this beer really is. Beautiful layered lacing all the way down. Fantastic brew. One of my all time favs.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Deep clear yellow with a nice head and beautiful lacing. It is pleasantly fragrant, citrusy and floral. The taste is great! Very citrusy,smooth, slightly sweet. No overwhelming bitterness. One of the most pleasant IPAs I have had!

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had this poured into a pint glass. The color was a very hazy golden-orange. The flavor and aroma had a very cirusy flavor, good stuff. The mouthfeel was pretty intense...little hard on the carbonation. Overall pretty good.

My goodness this is awesome! A first-timer to Sucks, I am impressed. The lace left behind is almost as beautiful as the beer! This is a full-favored ale that seriously blows away all other ales I have tried!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft in a bar this weekend. Very floral nose, hazy appearance. Taste was very low bitterness, low malt, very fruity. Overall this is fantastic, this is the beginning of the future. Will buy again

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mostly clear golden/copper in color with a monstrous head. Foamy/creamy with great retention.

Very big malt aroma. I know this isnt brown shuggah, but I am getting brown sugar on the nose. Grains and malt mostly. A bit of alcohol and tobacco as it warms.

Taste: again, very malt forward for an IPA. Almost no bitterness, certainly on the light side. Very odd "IPA" if you ask me.

Im sorry to disagree with the majority on this one, but this is hardly an IPA to me so I have to adjust my rating a bit.

Its not bad, I just wouldnt call this an IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell has lots of resin, some pine. Taste is resin, pine, bitter, pineapple, some malts are present. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer, but I wasn't blown away by it.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent grain quality in this. The flavor and mouth feel are complex with the wheat adding definition and the rye adding spice. I get grapefruit and pineapple with lots of dank resin. The carbonation is low which makes this drink very smooth. Excellent ipa.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

From an undated quart bottle. Golden color with a finger of white head. Great smell of piney hops. Smooth feel and big hop flavor. Definitely on the bitter side (IBU of 63, the bottle says). Good example of the style. The only possible downside is that there's nothing unique about this, and I think I'd struggle to tell it apart from other California DIPAs if I did a blind test.

3.29/5  rDev -23.7%

Had this last night and was pretty pumped about it but it turned out to be another disappointment for me from lagunitas. Poured a light golden color with a nice retaining white head. The taste is where I had an issue. Just not much going on for me. At 8% I could taste the booze coming through (surprising for an 8%), I got hardly any of the piny, dank hoppy punch I was expecting. I have seen plenty of good reviews on this beer and I am sure many people like it, maybe I grabbed a bad one?? IDK....

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Good IPA style brew in a quart bottle (brewed in Chicago?) with a big head when poured. (My avatar WILL be a green quart tavern tall returnable Ballantine ale from the 70s.) The forum worries about container size. I don't mind beer in larger sizes and growlers because I prefer them a little flat.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company