Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 10,235 |  Reviews: 1,611

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Brown sugar ale, but everyone knows this is an IPA. Tastes pretty similar to the regular Lagunitas IPA, but the taste is a little bit sweeter. That doesn't mean it's like molasses or caramel, it's definitely an IPA that kicks pretty hard but goes down nice. Good for a hearty meal, and versatile to drink in hot or cold weather.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! This beer got talked up quite a bit by a fellow patron when I was shopping for brews and I had to give it a try. Not an IPA addict, but I enjoy a good example of the style. Usually disappointed when expectations and promises are so high, but... I'm blown away by this brew!

A: Perfect. Exactly what I want and expect. Poured from a 32oz bottle into an oversized tulip glass (a hurricane glass from Pat O's in New Orleans, to be precise). Rich amber to dark honey in color. Brew is gem-like, crystal clear, but with so much effervesceance. The bubbles steadily trickle from the bottom of the glass throughout my drink. The head is MASSIVE and sticky, clinging to my glass. Retension is impressive. Lacing is picture perfect throughout. Rarely am I ever so enticed at the mere sight of a brew. I've certainly never written so much on appearance! It's a hot summer day and this is the kind of brew that would inspire jealousy from onlookers.

S: in the words of Keanu: "whoa". The nose follows the striking visual impression. Oranges, pine, and tons of hoppy Aromas eminate from that thick head. Other light citrus. Evergreen sap. Resinous. Mouthwatering.

T: Well, then. My pallete is overcome by a waterfall of sensations, all the culmination of what my other senses have come to anticipate already. Good backbone of mild to moderate sweetness, framing a hoppy payload of orange, sticky pine cones covered in tree sap, grapefruit... All you'd expect from a double IPA. There's a pronounced hop biterness, though well-tamed by the sweetness. But what's conspicuously missing is the alcohol. At 8% ABV, I'd expect it to be at least a little noticable. But, aside from some warmth on the back pallette, it's completely hidden by the everything going on in this brew. Dangerous!

M: Medium bodied. A little sticky sweet on the lips and the tongue, but with the sweetness so well cancelled out by the hops that the mouthfeel is all you have to go by there. Pleasantly perky, with enough carbonation to keep what might otherwise seem heavy and even overwhelming, pretty refreshing, though certainly not pallete cleansing.

O: I will definitely be buying this again and am very interested to see if it continues to live up to the hype on a second or third go. Right now: Loving this brew!

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really liked this beer. Special ordered an entire case at the recommendation of a friend and I was not disappointed. The beer itself is fruity tasting and leaves you wanting more. The ABV is high enough to give this beer a good kick. It has the familiar taste of a Lagunitas beer. Slightly bitter to the taste as in a mixture of an Ale and IPA, easy for me to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%