Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 10,238 |  Reviews: 1,611

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.66/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bright gold color with excellent, steadily rising carbonation bubbles, and a lasting, thick, sticky, white head. Powerful explosion of fruit and berry aromas; strawberry, banana, lemon, pine. Incredibly smooth and warm grain flavor; lightly toasted bread; faint powdered sugar sweetness; nice, puckering hop bitterness to balance things out. Medium body; crisp, clean, dry finish.

A finely made ale with a very pleasing sensory depth and complexity. It looks great, smells wonderful, and tastes incredibly fine. There's a gentle smoothness to the feel with an off-setting hop bite while the grain and hop flavors tango passionately around your palate. This would be a great beer to have available year-round.

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: This brew pours a wonderful golden amber color. It has nice clarity with a slight amount of haziness. The head is a sand colored with decent, but not crazy, retention with some nice lacing that sticks to the glass. It's a great looking beer.

Smell: I really can't say enough about how good Sucks smells. It's probably one of the best smelling beers I have come across and I will happily sit there and sniff for a while in between sips. This brew is what I would call a fruit bomb. Powerful aromas of pear, strawberry, mango, and other tropical fruits hit your nose from a mile away and mix pleasantly with the sweet, astringent smell of hops. It's rare that you find a beer that has this strong of a smell and in no way is that a bad thing.

Taste: The flavors of this beer definitely follow the aromas. I can best describe the hops that hit you on the initial sip as succulent. Like the smell, the taste is very fruity, but not at all in a sugary sweet way. I taste a mix of honeydew melon, apple, slight strawberry, and a little bit of mango. Again, sucks is an absolute fruit bomb. On the finish the brew has a very slight alcohol kick with a nice bite of lemon, bitter hops, and a bit of a malty backbone that reminds me of pie crust.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium bodied with a nice bit of chewiness for a double IPA. The mouthfeel is very satisfying without feeling too huge to sip down pretty quickly.

Overall: I'm still pretty new to craft beer, so I jump around a lot in terms of what I drink. Sucks, however, is one that I have been coming back to again and again. It's definitely my favorite from Lagunitas and really got me into the West coast style IPAs. Sucks is an excellent beer with an original flavor profile that entices me every time I crack one open.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%