Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,254 |  Reviews: 1,614

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Very clear amber colored pour, lots of bubbles, durable head. The looks remind me of Sierra Nevada Celebration, and that's a very good start. The smell was highly potent out of the glass at an arm's length. Very citric hops with a touch of pear, and the intensity is great. I could just smell this beer for a while. The taste another hop assault, as the grapefruit, tangerine, and bitter orange flavors just hit all at once. The malt is not much of a presence here except providing some sticky sweetness. Medium dense and creamy feeling in the mouth. This was a very well crafted DIPA. There is of course no substitute for Brown Shugga, but I hope they keep this one around too. Otherwise they would really suck :)

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been enjoying this beauty almost all of the crappy dark winter now and with what seemed to be and endless supply in my area now drying up I decided it's time time stock up and review. Poured from a bottle into a Lagunitas widemouth jar mug. Beautiful honey golden color with about a half finger head. The aromas will about knock you out, very floral with pine and plenty of hops as well as some honey. Taste is amazing nice sweet honey upfront followed but a bit of pine with hops galore. Great bitterness that is not overpower but lingers nicely. Good body without feeling filling or heavy. This is really a nice beer that won't let you down.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled December 30th 2013. Getting a bit long in the tooth by now. But I had a whole sixpack in January in Florida and that was fresh then. So I'm partly reviewing from that experience.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith English tulip pint.

a: Clear dark gold with a three inch white head which dissipated slowly to heavy rocky surface foam and extensive clingy lacing.

s; Fairly strong citrus and pine at first, this bottle changed to more vinegar later on.

t; Tasty and quite strong citrus and pine forward over a light malt base. Bitterness lingers on the tongue but not as strong or long as some. The bottle drunk for this review unfortunately was dominated by a vinegary aroma far more than the seven I had previously enjoyed.

m; Light to moderate.

o: Generally, an outstanding DIPA. Persistent tasty citrus and pine with good carbonation. However, this eighth bottle was not nearly as superlative as the others. If it were my first Sucks, I'd have given it much lower marks. Odd, or perhaps not, I had a similar experience with my recent sixpack of Brown Shugga. Seemed like every other bottle was a lot less enjoyable than the rest.

I've got most of three sixpacks of this left. Hope my recent rocky Brown Shugga experience is not duplicated with them. I loved the Sucks I had in Florida. But here at home, now, so far...

UPDATE 2/24/15: Portioned the rest out to myself up until practically the day of my annual Florida trip in early Jan. and enjoyed them all, although none had as much hop flavor compared to that first fresh sixpack last year. Supremely disappointed to discover (too late) that no sixpacks are being made. I finally broke down and bought one of the new quart bottles for $7 (had held off because they were $8-10 around here and it was just a turn off to have to pay almost double per ounce compared to last year) despite the fact that it had no readable bottling date on it, and sure enough it was OK but had no particular hop flavor. Perhaps I'll find a fresh dated bottle or two this year, in the mreantime hoping the sixpacks come back next Jan, albeit certainly at a big price jump (I'll guess $13-15/6 at least from previously $10-11/6.)

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -13%