Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,254 |  Reviews: 1,614
4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice hazy brew. Actually loving the scent of this , its big with sweet orange and tropical fruits. I like the flavor of this too. It's a caramel flavored take on an IPA that I can handle with sweet malt citrus at the start and a medium bitter hop finish. Flavors blend well and it's decently complex. Creamy and medium at least in mouthfeel.

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty DIPA but it isn't like any other DIPA I've ever tasted. It has a sweet brown sugar and caramel flavor that I love. Also plenty of malt and slight hop bitterness, but the bitterness isn't too apparent for a DIPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip style pint glass.

Two fingers of off white lasting head with thick lacing cover a slightly hazy amber pour. Hoppy aromas, mostly citrus, particularly grapefruit and pineapple with biscuit malt. Taste follows suit with good hop bitterness to the finish. Slightly creamy and medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall a good DIPA. Tasty and refreshing. Recommended!

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I can't believe some of the reviews of this beer. I guess since it is labeled an imperial IPA, the snobs write the review based on that?

To me it doesn't taste like anything I have had before and that is a GOOD thing. Such a clean mouth feel, no bitter hop explosion like most "Imperial IPA's. I wouldn't classify it as that. It is a unique beer with it's own classification and it is a GOOD one.

Will be buying again, and frequently.

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Look: Pours a clear golden orange color with a one finger, off white head of foam that laces the glass well.

Aroma: Clementine, tangerine, grapefruit, sticky pine resin, honey and a touch of mango.

Taste: Malty. Slightly tropical with a subtle bitterness. . . I'm getting restrained notes of spicy pine sap upfront that quickly transitions into flavors of brown sugar, sugar cookies, honey and caramel. There are also notes of sweet tropical fruits like pineapple, tangerine, mango and orange.

Feel: Full bodied with low carbonation. Creamy. Sweet throughout, somewhat spicy.

Overall: This is classified as an Imperial IPA but it drinks like a strong Amber Ale. . . It's so malty and sweet I don't really know if my bottle is just old or if the beer is intended to taste like this. Not bad but not great. Malt driven flavors backed up by subtle spicy notes of hops and notes of juicy tropical fruit. Not sure if I would buy this again, or if I would call it an Imperial IPA.

Edit: Lmao. . . I guess I hurt the reviewer above my posts feelings since he's insinuating that because I didn't fall head over heels for a beer he likes it makes me a ""beer snob"" . . . Never said this is a shitty beer, but oh well, what can I say? My opinion stands, this really isn't that great of an Imperial IPA in my opinion.

And yes person I am talking about; for the record, I do write my reviews based on what style the brewery categorizes the beer under. . . if it's labeled double IPA I expect it to be bitter not sweet.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very decent beer, very hoppy but not insanely bitter. It drinks ultra smooth for 8%. too.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drinking this one as I write. Light head and light copper color when poured with little carbonation/bubbles coming up from the glass. Hoppy smell and taste, but a nice touch of malts on top. This has a fairly bitter taste moreover with a high IBU content. I did not like this too much the last time I tried it but I have become more of a hop head as I try new beers. Also for a world class rating for this site, it's a nice deal at $8.50 a six pack compared to other world classers, if you can get them, at over $12.00.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

The most noticeable thing about this beer, aside from it being very drinkable (in a very slow way), is the bubble gum after-taste I get. Like the Bazooka kind of bubble gum.

This beer has a gentle mouth feel, the hops don't really exert themselves in this one, and that's a good thing. It's a great cooler-weather beer. I'm personally not a big fan of hop-explosions, so this was a good beer for me.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

quick and dirty review..

piney, citrus-y, slight malty-suger sweetness. very very well balanced. drinks easy, with a mild chewy-ness mouth feel. looks beautiful in a tulip glass.

great beer....get some.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This is what I would call a light IPA. Though it's not an IPA it gives you the crispy fruity hops and just the right amount malt . This beer is golden with a soft bitter citrusy after taste. This beer is dangerous as at 8% ABV it will creep up on you. A soft pine earthy aroma with a light yet fluffy head ,that gives it a nice smooth fizz.
On a scale of 1 to 10 this beer is a solid 9.5 so far the best beer I've had in 2016

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer