Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

#414

Ratings: 10,310 |  Reviews: 1,624

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a clear lighter amber with big white head that settles slowly to a quarter inch with sticky spray of lace on the glass. Smell: floral, grapefruit, melon, pine note, apricot, biscuit back. Taste: orange, pine, a little berry, citrus rind, melon, touch of apricot and biscuit. Lighter side of medium bodied... cooler, this one seemed to thin out too early, but not having that problem now. Does come off as a DIPA despite the IPA-range specs. Glad to see Sucks make it down here this year. Good, not mindblowing.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured this out of a 12oz. bottle into my Maudite snifter. Gave it a nice aggressive pour that produced a solid 1” thick head that lasted for a few minutes. The lacing the beer left behind was lovely, almost as if you could see every sip you took like the rings of a tree on the edge of the glass. The smell of the beer is pretty good with a nice dank resiny sent, I do have a slightly stuffy nose myself right now so my sense is a little off. The beer is truly a delight on the palate, with a wonderful sweetness reminiscent of a dank mango fruitiness that leaves a lasting impression on the tongue well after you’ve swallowed this treat of a beverage. Now I’m a huge fan of Lagunitas and this beer has that sweetness flavor to it that you’ll find in any hop forward offering from Lagunitas. So just another great beverage from a great a great brewery.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Extra from an IP trade with Joe. Cool dude and sweet hangs. Not sure when this bottled, but it can't be too old.

A- Not too much to improve upon here, in my opinion. Poured this from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Nice finger-and-a-half of head which retains well. Pale golden, almost straw-like, color. Very minimal haziness. Lacing all the way down the glass as you continue to drink. Nice!

S- Piney, resinous aromas dominate this one. Freshly cut grass. Some grapefruit in there as well as some orange zest. A little too muted for my liking, but still very nice.

T- Follows the nose really well. More of a malty presence than I had anticipated. Not too much, but certainly more than I was expecting. I like it! The finish is pretty dry with some quality hop bitterness. Preceding this is some juicy fruitiness balanced. Great balance.

M- Pretty highly carbonated. Towards the heavier end of a light mouthfeel. Really smooth finish. Bitterness lingers. Well done.

O- Really enjoyed this beer, and can understand why people look forward to it as a seasonal release. Would totally buy some for myself if I saw it in the Pittsburgh area. Excellent extra to receive in a trade.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into a large snifter. Pours a perfect pale gold. Healthy amount of just off-white head that held pretty well, and faded into a medium-thin collar and a thin head that held until the glass emptied. Lacing is spotty, but pretty good. Aroma is a really interesting dance between pine and citrus hops with a nice supporting cast of a medium malt base. Though, the more I sniff, the more I pick up on the citrus over the pine. Taste is surprisingly malt centered. I get some tropical hops character in the front, that moves into more of the grapefruit, then some pine, then back to citrus; all being held up by this really great malt sweetness. Carbonation is a bit high for an IPA, but I'm kinda digging that. Body is medium to full.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Smells and tastes the way pipe tobacco smells: fragrant, smokey, floral, peppery; tobacco leaf all the way through. Deep caramel flavors are there to balance the intense hop bomb. Back end bitterness is slightly subdued; emphasis is squarely on the forward hop flavor. Extremely drinkable with very little booziness, there's nothing that Sucks about this except the fact that it's a limited release.

3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

3.36/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sampled again, a little better than last time.

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

This is one of my favorites.

Bottle poured into a frosted pilsner

Lagunitas always ages very well but especially this one (been saving this one for quite some time now).

Lighter in appearance than I usually like but the taste and aroma more than makes up for it.

Trademark "peachy" note and taste.

Floral and hoppy...just like I like them.

Cheers!