Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

#425

Ratings: 10,285 |  Reviews: 1,622
3.42/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a great offering from a great brewery and one that I pick up every year.

Appearance is bright and clear straw with a clean white fluffy head. Lacing is tight and it looks very appealing.

The smell for me is the only thing that turns me off. It's good, but something about it reminds me of body odor... I think it's just me...

Taste is bitter and round. It's a pretty neutral double IPA. Piney, subtly sweet, and leaves me wanting another sip.

Also, a great value at $11.50 for the six pack.
Well done, again.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

BOD 339/13. Golden pour with a nice head and lasting lacing. Very nice nose of grapefruit and other citrus against a slight spruce essence. Almost medium bodied with an average carbonation. The mouthfeel is almost creamy. An outstanding hop flavor with grapefruit the most forward. Spruce and a slight malt sweetness round out this well balanced ale. The alcohol content is totally hidden by the flavor. The finish is more smooth than crisp with a nice tartness and a soft bitterness. This is one of the best.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a clean, golden color with a white 1.5 finger head. Fluffy head holds solid throughout the drink and the lacing clings like it has a death grip.

S- Massive amounts of NW hops of grapefruit, pineapples, orange pith, and tangerines. They simply explode out of the glass! I get the sense that strong acidic hops are what's in store for me. Touch of a caramelized candy base. Lagunitas never disappoints on the nose.

T- Hops aren't messing around here. Damn near abrasive, and I like it. They come at your strong with pine and citrus early, then the chewy pale malt of caramel and cotton candy allows this one to settle in soft in the finish.

M- Mid body, bordering on light. Crisp carbonation, but still goes down smooth. Sticky, lingering bitterness.

O- Intense. Maybe my favorite from a fantastic brewery. I've heard the comparison with PtE, and while Sucks may not be quite as balanced, it is a fair assessment.

$8.99 for a 6 pk

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Outstanding DIPA. Has a really floral/melon-ish flavor to it; fairly significant resiny hop flavor, though not as intense as Surly Abrasive (which is my favorite beer in the category). Would absolutely continue to buy, at this price point. Stoked that Lagunitas continues to make such accessible, affordable beers.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Had the most recent version on tap 1/13/14. Not as bright as I remembered, with a thicker body, but still retains that delicious Lagunitas-hop smell. Reminded me a lot of a fresher Hop Stoopid. Will be curious to see if the bottle release is any different - hoping they make enough that I don't struggle too hard to find some!

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm a sucker for citrusy piney IPAs and this was one of the best all around I've had. It was a beautiful orange amber clear pour with a thick white frothy head. Crystal clear with just the slightest sediment. No haze and more Pliny than heady. The aroma was one of the best I've smelled. Pineapple orange citrus with a piney balance that had my nose buried. I crave this beers smell. The taste hit all the citrus and pine. Very good only slightly less refined than say Pliny but better than average no doubt. The bitterness was good not overpowering but late on the palette it was more noticed than others. This beer overall is one of my favorites and was very good. Already craving another.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A - 4.5 - The beer is a nice golden amber color with a thick white frothy head. Leaves a nice lumpy lacing on the glass.
S - 4.5 - Super fresh grapefruit, orange, lemon zest, pineapple, pine. Maybe some bready malt in there but the hops are so forward they pretty much cover it up.
T - 4.5 - Tastes like a bag of whole hops smells. Super piney, fresh, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, citrus zest. Balanced by nice sweet malt backbone.
M - 4.5 - The bitterness lingers on the back of your tongue, begging you to drink more. Alc covered, aftertaste is graprfruit/piney hops. Carbonation perfect.
O - 4.5 - tomorrow's plan, buy another six pack of this.

Comparables: Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's, Hop Stoopid, Ruination