Lagunitas Sucks | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

#444

Ratings: 10,363 |  Reviews: 1,642
4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz, bottle into a pint glass. Bottling date of 351 3, so that's the 351st day of 2013. 14 days old, pretty nice!

A- Pours a nice deep gold yellow, the very lightest shade of amber. Nice clarity and a big white head the stuck around and left nice lacing on the glass.

S- Wow! This is the most tropical smell beer I've ever had. Lots of ripe passion fruit, some guava and mango, papaya. Light toasted cracker malt coming through.

T- Nice candy sweetness without being overpowering, again lots of tropical fruits, I almost can't believe it. More toasted cracker malt than in the nose but still very slight and does not take away from the bright juicy hops. Nice medium level of bitterness not as high as other signature ipas but still substantial enough to linger on the palate for a bit after swallowing.

M- A nice medium mouthfeel similar to other ipas of this strength. Pretty easy drinking if your used to hops. The lighter bitterness means I might drink this 6 pack by tomorrow.

O- I had a half pint of this stuff earlier in the year in a flight and it was the only one that stuck out and wowed me. When it came out this time I ran right out and grabbed a 6er to consume as fresh as possible. Holy hell! I love this tropical bomb of a beer. It's almost hard to drink because then it will go away and I won't be able to smell it. An instant favorite and something every type of beer drinker should taste or at least smell!

November 14th, 2013

Sucks in a tulip at cellar temperature.

Appearance: A pretty golden honey-amber body and a gorgeous three-finger, puffy white cloud of a head that rises above the rim to make a little mound of foam on top. 4.5

Not an extremely strong aroma here, but there's some pine and orange zest. Also a kind of dank, mellow hoppy scent. 3.75

Tastes of tangy orange upfront, sweet breadiness in the middle, and substantial hops in the finish. As the 63.21 IBUs would indicate, the bitterness level is pretty moderate. It has some nice hop flavor without the punishing bitterness some double IPAs have (although I do sometimes enjoy that type of punishment). 4.25

I'd call it medium-bodied. Feels alright. 4

It doesn't suck. 4.25

May 19th, 2015

So the first time Sucks showed up here two years ago, I believe it was terribly out-of-date (like, more than a year old). I revisited it tonight after finding some that's only about three months old. Most of the descriptors above still hold true for me, but with the volume turned up higher enough for this imperial IPA to impress me a lot more. The aroma is much stronger in this fresher beer, and I get more delightfully dank, astringent hops in both the aroma and flavor. Especially the finish.

So as an update: it REALLY doesn't suck.

3.25/5  rDev -24.8%