Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,562 | Ratings: 10,070
4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a five plus finger white head that fades slowly leaving tons of lace. Crystal clear amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is hemlock/pine hops, flavor is caramel and hemlock. Light lingering bitter finish. Decent Imperial IPA. $2.45 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, MA.

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Possibly my favorite IPA that I've had during my recent IPA binge.

Tropical citrus smell and taste that is incredibly refreshing. Must say this is the best smelling beer I've ever had. Taste is almost as good as the smell. Being on the east coast I can't find this often, if I do come across it again I will not hesitate to buy it.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Heard these were outstanding so I got a couple to try out

A - Pours to a golden amber, very thin white head that lasts a while, unbelievable lacing

S - overpowering smell of grapefruit, maybe apple, lots of pine accents

T - Amazing, starts with sweetness and mild hops, slowly rolls into stronger hops, pine hits are there as well

M - Mouthfeel is great, standard carbonation; not too much not too little

O - One awesome beer. Great example of what an DIPA should taste like

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas Brewing 'Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale' @ 7.85% , served from a 6pack of 331 ml bottles purchased for $19

A-pour is a clear gold with a good size off white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint glass

S-citrus grapefruit and pine

T-smooth and crisp tasting IPA , sweet fruit start , bitter hop finish , well balanced

MF-mild carbonation , full bodied , nice on the palate

Ov-good/great beer , buy far the best of the beers recently sampled , I can finally say I like an DIPA , pity its a limited release and expensive , but so worth it !!

sampled alongside Deschutes 'Hop Henge' , Driftwood's 'Twenty Pounder' & Phillip's 'Amnesiac'

prost LampertLand

3.21/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a semi-hazy light gold color with over 1-1/2 inch of off white head that had good retention and light lacing.

The aroma was nice, lots of floral and pine hops, and an almost unnoticeable amount of malt. The flavor was the same, pine hops over most of the tongue, some floral in the middle, just a hint of citrus in the finish, and a very low malt presence.

The body was very much on the thin side of average, if it were any thinner, I would knocked some more points off. Drinkability was OK, fairly typical for style, although at below 8%abv, is this really an Imperial IPA? The low alcohol made drinking easier, but hurt the beers chances of of matching expectations. Overall, a nice enough little beer, one worth trying, but not one that matches the hype that has been thrust upon it.

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Light copper color. Translucent. Less than a finger of head that slowly retreats to a small, frothy film. Moderate lacing that remains in circles around the glass.

S: Oh ya. This is the BEST part of this beer. Very aromatic. Strong citrus and pineapple. Floral. Hops become prevalent as the beer opens.

T: Pleasant bitter hoppy hits you on the front, which gives way to a floral finish. Piney-bitter finish.

M: Moderate body. Moderate to highly smooth. Medium carbonation.

O: An extremely good DIPA. Very smooth and has an outstanding nose. Excellent for the price. This beer is worth going out-of-your way to aquire.

Just had my first 6 pack of Sucks this week!

A- Orangey yellow, white head, nothing too crazy.
S- Citrus hoppy, kind of tart.
T- Orangey/lemony citrus, very crisp and refreshing initially. Some slight caramel sweetness on the back.
M- Very nice! Pretty full bodied. Great carbonation, slightly lingering taste but not too crazy.

Overall, this is a very good DIPA. Crisp and tasty, but still an easy drink. A must try!

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle served cold into a pint glass.

Sucks is a hazy copper orange color with thick sticky head. As it settles, some nice lacing is left behind.

Aroma is super hoppy and full of citrus and pine. It has an unmistakable Lagunitas hop character that's turned up to 11.

Flavor is super hoppy and bitter but relatively balanced for a huge IPA. It has good sweetness but the malts don't impart a ton of flavor. The hops lend lots of aroma, flavor and bitterness. Citrusy, piney, and resiney dank hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Very bitter but drinkable by not being out of balanced.

Overall a fantastic double IPA. Easily the best available in a 6-pack.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Green Flash 16 oz pint glass with a bump like an imperial pint glass. Didn't see a 'drink by' or 'bottled on' date.

Appearance - Pours an orange-tinged golden yellow color with a frothy off-white head of about a finger to a finger and a half. Lacing is slick looking, and doesn't hang around long.

Smell - A fruity melody, with highlights from lots of different citrus fruits. Predominantly grapefruit, but notes of tangerine and orange come through as well. Each time I smell it again, I pick up a few more, maybe even some lemon rind. Only drawback is that I wish it was more forward--it really feels like I have to work to coax out all the elements.

Taste - Unbelievably drinkable for a DIPA. Obviously, it's on the low end of ABV for the style, but it's wonderfully smooth and refreshing. The citrus elements are again present, this time more heavily with grapefruit. Some hop bitterness with hints of caramel in malty sweetness in the background.

Mouthfeel - Silky and a very balanced carbonation feel, but there is none of the lingering resin feel that often comes with DIPAs.

Overall a wonderful beer. The citrus notes are refreshing and mask the alcohol. Not my favorite DIPA, but easily the most drinkable I have had.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

I think this was more marketing ploy than actual genius.

Don't get me wrong, this beer was palatable.
I think I bought into the hype. Some kind of substitute was supposed to be in place of brown sugar. Pardon me for not noticing the subtlety in this west-coast hop party, which still dominates the initial taste. The sweetness, if any comes out later. It is arguable if this be deserves a "premium" rating like it has been given. Lagunitas has superior brews than this if you are willing to look around.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A - Tangerine color leaning more towards the golden end. Lots of small carbonation bubbles, about 2 fingers of pillowed white head.

S - This smells awesome! Pineapple, mango, citrus, grapefruit. Little bit of floral hints also. Lots of awesome hop scents.

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. Lots of bold tropical hop flavors, also a tad bit of malt flavor to balance it. Slight amount of alcohol but it is very well masked.

M - Feels nice in the mouth, just the right amount of carbonation. Medium leaning towards the heavy syrup side but not to much.

O - This is probably the best beer I have ever had, the more I have it the better it gets. Pick this up if you see it! Also the price is great, $8.99 for a 6 pack. Cant beat that for a beer of this quality!

4.61/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer many times and every time it just gets better! Awesome beer that's now readily available in my area too.

Pours a brilliant golden color with a frothy, white one finger head. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise up from the bottom of my glass.

The aroma is of hops and citrus. Definitely getting a sweet smell also maybe caramel.

Taste of hops and an orange citrus. Has a bit of a spiciness but a really good sweet brown sugar caramel taste!

Mouthfeel is thin but coats your mouth with the nice hoppy sweetness of this beer! Not too much of a lingering bitterness either.

Overall this beer is great, really drinkable and cost friendly! This is one of my "go to" beers for sure. Lagunitas definitely doesn't Suck!

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear gold with 2-finger head, impressive lacing, pretty carbonation. The smell has a very aromatic quality to it, lots of pine but also a kind of floral quality. It tastes awesome--dominated by pine, but with a solid malt backbone and a real brightness from grapefruit, mango, citrus. Finishes somewhat bitter but clean. It also has a very light mouthfeel for something of this hoppiness which I'm really digging. Keep it around--I'm sad that it's going to go away!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interesting double ipa. Brown sugar sub is a good choice and pleasing.
Lagunitas keeps doing work, pick up this 6pk. Good color, the smell really stands out.
Havent seen this beer on tap yet and looking forward to trying it.

Have to add text to get this rating to 250 characters so this gibberish is just to meet that quote. So if u r reading this...f your couch.
A-

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

A - poured a clear golden color,slight orange hue. 2 finger light head with some large bubbles. Head lasted for a few mins, then died to a nice frothy cap. Sticky lacing lasts throughout.

S - ridiculous amount of hops in the nose, almost smells like I would imagine the color green smells. Smells like sticking my nose in a bag of hop pellets before throwing them in the kettle. Piney, citrus, resinous, bright, and floral mmmm. That's it. Sweetness too, but not really much malt, no yeast or alcohol bouquet. So delicous smelling, and very intense hopppiness, straight up 5 on this aspect.

T - Great taste, very bright, citrusy, piney flavoring hops dominate, slight cereal malt backbone to keep it all in check, finishes with only an ever so slight bitterness that actually grows in intensity after it lingers for a few. Very clean taste, not getting any yeast profile or even any alcohol, just amazing hop character with a good balance of sweet malt.

M - medium body, there's a lot of carbonation but at the same time it is very smooth. Finishes very crisp. Very quenching and enjoyable.

O - overal to be blunt, hands down better than Maximus and should replace it in their year round lineup. I don't care if it's been brewed since 96, this is a better DIPA and I want more. top of my list of DIPAs so far.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a bit lighter and crisper than expected. The frothy white head doesn't stick around for long. Hops completely dominate the aroma. Yeah, a double IPA for sure. Hop oils assault the palate. Grapefruit and pine, mostly. Hint of heat from the 7.8% ABV. Rye comes through a bit in the finish. But this is all about the hops. Surprisingly, it's only 65 IBUs. Thought this would push closer to 100.

Hop heads, get it!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my first bottle, thanks to Mike Z. At work!

It's fantastic! Go get some if you can. I'm smiling because I know I have five more and the store where I made the purchase has more for tomorrow. Seriously though, this is something any IPA drinker should have. It is just plain great. Now get off your couch and get some!

I just had to add that the second is as good as the first. YeeHaw.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Overall a great beer - pours cloudy but with a nice bright color.

Smell is extremely driven by spice but very hoppy - makes me wonder what hop profile they use for this...complex and delicious, very unique for a big west coast IPA but one of those i want to keep going back and analyzing.

Taste is really really nice, balanced, hoppy and bitter with some fruit, pleasant...a bit of spice at the end.

Overall this is one of Lagunitas best, probably my favorite of theirs along with hop stoopid...great stuff for $11-12 per 6/pk

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks decently appetizing. Light orange threatening to turn yellow with a small head that shrinks to an island in the middle of the glass. Smell is wonderful, clean, crisp hop notes of papaya,mango and grapefruit. The taste is a little disappointing, the malts struggle to keep up and the beer falls quickly off the tongue into an almost unpleasant bitter chalkiness. there is a rye sharpness that only seems to accentuate the unpleasant finish.
Wish this was a little more balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Words can't describe what I think of this beer. It is one of the best beers I have ever drunk - period. The hops flavour is amazing with a really floral interesting tint and the way it leaves your pallet clean afterwards is superb. No lingering bitterness. I also find it far lighter than a lot of DIPAs and certainly light for the ABV. Better than any east coast IPA i've tried. I can't stop drinking it. Very very good. I would recommend anyone reading this to go and buy some immediately. The other great thing about it is the price. Cheaper than nearly all the other double IPAs around. Fantastic beer. I think I've said enough!

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Opaque, golden/brown, 2 solid inches of creamy white head

S - Awesome. Sweet brown Shugga, bombing citrus hops. Lasting.

T - initial: sweet citrus hops, bitter level is a 5/10, pineapple. finish has more citrus, carmel and has some booze on the way down. Sweet hoppy bitterness lingers for a few moments.

M - Frothy, high viscosity, cream, big & full body.

O - Excellent. Love the Brown Shugga sweetness which is balanced very nicely by 68 IBUs. Booze is low but enough to taste. Froth level is the perfect amount you want for a IIPA, head also remains for entire brew. Highly recommend this to even non IPA lovers. Its certainly worth the $11.99/ 6 pack.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into tulip glass. Crystal clear golden I color with a nice airy head that never completely disappears and leaves lovely lacing.

Was expecting more from the nose. Very faint citrus, with some resiny aromas.

The taste is where this beer excels. Wonderful hops whomping my palate then leaves it clean. Appropriate mouthfeel for the style; a great beer.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- gold bottle pour with nice head retention and lacing sticks. Smell- sweet pine and hops are very prevalent- slight caramel. Taste- great hops up front- the dry hopping is great. Mouthfeel- lingering and slight carbonation. Overall- one of my fav IPAs. I've tasted literally thousands of beers in the past few years- and this is my first rating as I sit here- so hopefully I get better at this.

I just bought a 6 pack of this at Trader Joe's for like 6.99! Love it. Love it. Love it. Everything from Lagunitas is fantastic and this is no exception. True to their style, the brewery character shines through in this Brown Shugga. It's like a big ol' red ale with the signature blend of hops and malt character. I still can't believe that I paid 6.99 at TJs and this is on the Top 250. I'll have to do some ISO:FTs.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottled Feb 18, 2013.

Beer is clear golden, a bit of orange. Moderately-sized white head. Good retention, some lace.

Tropical fruit: sticky mango and passionfruit. Grapefruit. A bit of biscuit.

Taste is obviously hop-focused. Orange, grapefruit and lemon. Some tropical flavours as well, some mango. A bit of pine and resin. Slight caramel malt, but very minimal.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Quite oily.

Overall, quite good indeed, but not the powerhouse that I was expecting based on the reviews.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company