Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,223 |  Reviews: 1,606
4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues along with a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high dense white head that has excellent retention properties and took a very long time to die down, consistently leaving a short head covering the surface and lots of lacy rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of citrusy hops are present in the nose—tangerines and grapefruit seem to stand out in particular.
T: Like the smell, the taste is very citrusy and also has prominent flavors of tropical fruits in the form of mangoes. A light to moderate amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is extremely drinkable, especially since the bitterness is subdued compared to other beers in the style and no traces of alcohol are present in the taste. It's packed with so many flavors of mangoes and citrus that I feel like I am getting 100 percent of my recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle poured into tulip 11/3/13

A clear golden copper with plenty of bubbles popping up from everywhere, a large 3 finger foam quickly falls to a pinky's width and sits there, several thick rings spaced far apart are the evidence of the larger normal sips I'm taking

S pine is strong, tangerine, mandarin orange, grapefruit and pineapple work well with just a little caramel sweetness, smells quite strong and its pretty much what I look for in a West Coast DIPA

T some lemon rind I didn't smell and slightly less pine, still a nice tropical blast but toned down just a tad compared to the nose

M not to heavy for a DIPA and creams up slightly from the bubbles, has a nice mellow bitter bite but nowhere near a palate wrecker, a little slick after the fact with some pine, citric rind, and caramel on the finish

O one of the better hop bombs I've had recently, no booze at any point and solid in every area, I could smell it all day and I'm very stoked I have 5 more in my 6er

Well if Lagunitas sucks I don't need awesome, really though this is a great brew and I'm very stoked I can buy this here in Alberta and will be buying it again soon

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Brothers: Are you kidding me? There's a 9 point difference between you and us and you're on the wrong side of history. SUCKS is amazing. And factoring in the very reasonable price and the fact that it can ACTUALLY BE FOUND on shelves, it's one of the best. The nose: 5. Taste 5. For hopheads, the battle is between Enjoy By and Sucks. And I'm from the Midwest. California: we give up!! You win. (Hate to say it.)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber/gold with about 2 1/2 fingers of eggshell head. Very fine foaminess with a super sticky lacing.

A very citrusy sweet nose. Smells overwhelmingly of pineapple and candi sugar. It's very crisp and very big.

Hop-forward. All you really get is the hop flavor with this beer, but it's never overwhelming or too bitter. Fresh cut pineapple and other citrusy fruits. Definitely some grassy notes on the backend. The beer is balanced by its sweetness, but the sugar flavor has little depth.

The beer is medium-full-bodied and leaves a little bit of stickiness and resin on your tongue. Perfect carbonation level for the style. Not terribly creamy, but still a pleasant and smooth texture.

I had one of these the other day and the flavor had really fallen off. I was worried about the remainder of the sixer, but the one I'm drinking new is beautiful. An excellent west coast ipa.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company