Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,238 |  Reviews: 1,611
4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked this up in a six pack at the store and pored into a pint. Overall it's a good beer. Nice balance of sweet and hop, although the hop after taste is better than its nose, which leaves you wanting more.

I saw this on a bucket list from some random rater. While it is good, I would argue that Lil' Sumpin is an even better offering from this excellent brewery, though I am not sad to scratch it off my "to drink" list.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2.72/5  rDev -36.9%

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

At first I did not think it was something equivalent to an IPA. However, after smelling it I then got my answer. To my surprise, the smell did no justice to the actual beer. The beer was its own brew from a hoppy IPA original pine smell. I like pine, but flower power (Ithaca) ruined my respect for IPA's. I have always wanted to try lagunitas brand, and for a first brew I am pleasantly satisfied!
KEEP THEM COMING!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Golden yellow beer, slightly unfiltered looking, pale off white head with fine+mixed foam.

Smells great, like God made apricot beer and added some kind of awesome beer perfume.

Taste is very good but not as good as the smell. Hoppy bitterness, hints of pine, peaches, malty goodness.

Just about the perfect mouthfeel for a 2xIPA. Nice, slightly rich, very fine carbonation.

Finish is very good, though not especially intense or long, just a hint more sweetness than perfect.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pretty tasty beer. A little more sweet than what I like but Good overall beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a hazy golden color with moderate visible carbonation. Small to medium-sized head which leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smells of tropical fruit-infused hops. Very enjoyable smell with nice contrast between sweetness and bitterness.

Taste is less sweet than the smell, with the hops bitterness emphasized heavier. The ripeness of the fruit comes out stronger as well. Mouthfeel is gentle with quite a bit of carbonation.

This is a most excellent beer.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Was excited to try this even though I had the chance to grab the bomber on multiple occasions and I did not (even though I had heard good things from a multitude of people). What can I say, I'm afraid of that kind of commitment.

Look: Pretty standard, a bit on the light side of things for as malty as it is. Golden.

Smell: Hops are a standout on the nose, the sweetness of the beer isn't as obvious when you sniff as it is on the tongue. Smells more boozy than 8% I would say

Taste: Tastes like a true double on the first sip with booze, hops, and malt all mingling together in a way that is hard to discern at first but then becomes a pattern with continued sippage. Carbonation cascading with the bitterness, sweet malt, and a booze heat aftertaste that is indicative on the nose. The beer didn't blow my hair back, to be honest, but there was no point where I thought it was bad or even close to subpar. I guess I had high expectations. The more I drank the more the malts became pronounced and the sweetness began to dominate the bitterness. I think it tastes a lot like Dogfish 90 Minute on the last few swigs.

Feel: Pretty wet. Slight stickiness from all the hops but not very drying on your palette. Pretty appetizing. It would probably be pretty great with some wings or a burger.

Overall: A good double IPA that I will likely drink again because 1. I trust Lagunitas 2. they are becoming very popular and readily available, and 3. it is in 6ers now and is a good beer to grab for a buddys house for a game or something. Try it if you like solid 2x IPAs without trying too hard.

4.05/5  rDev -6%