Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

#419

Ratings: 10,294 |  Reviews: 1,623
3.02/5  rDev -30.1%

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

I am always looking for something different and decided to try this since I like everything else I’ve had from Lagunitas. Very slight haze to a golden yellow color. It doesn’t really taste like a double IPA, very good balance of malt to hops. I didn’t detect the expected citrus notes but a solid pine bitter note with the faintest citrus coming from behind. There is an almost indescribable flavor on the back end that I can only describe as a single lick of a “bracht Carmel”. It’s not sweet, but it spurs the memory. It’s very enjoyable, as Chris Knight plays “down the river” on iHeartRadio. Too bad Houston fall weather consist of 90 degree plus temps. Hopefully it’ll cool off soon.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Good color with ok lacing. Terrific aroma. Taste is what you would expect, bitter. Has more of a tropical fruit flavor then old school west coast IPA. Good beer

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

S: passion fruit, hoppy, malty A: orange, clear, creamy and foamy head T: high bitterness, alcohol hint P: med body

4.71/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer definitely recommend!!!!

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas Brewing Co. "Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating
$2 @ Weis, Conshohocken, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: Well this is lighter than I was expecting, I must have been confusing it with something else although I've definitely had it before on tap. I generally don't like to do reviews in bars though, there are too many different smells going on, and too many distractions. So, OK, it's a hazy golden and there's visible particulate in suspension. I'll assume that's yeast, I saw it come out of the bottle towards the end. Ahh, it just occurred to me that maybe I thought it was darker because it appeared that way at the bar. Anyway, the head is a creamy off-white which has already dropped to a thin surface covering and wide collar. I have a beer clean glass, by the way, I used it earlier so I'm not sure what the problem here is. The aroma displays a grainy, lightly caramelish malt with citrusy fruits and a bit of pine. It's clean and fresh and welcoming. The flavor follows and I'm finding notes of orange, light brown sugar, sweetened grapefruit, pineapple, and soft pine. It's not particularly bitter given the amount of sweet bread malt that's there, but it comes through, particularly in the finish. It's sweetish upfront but balanced in the end. Some citrus and pine lingers. It's definitely medium in body, almost medium-full, and the carbonation is fairly soft leaving it gently tingly on the tongue and then smooth. Nicely done. I'm not even finding the alcohol, what is it? 8% ABV, that's not a bad trick to pull off. Quite pleasant and enjoyable; I'll have to pick up some more.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.86/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clear gold with consistent white lacing.

Musty, floral.

Sweet malt's unexpected but pleasant. Bready. Hops are soft, Chinook might be in there, something like but not Citra. A bit like Surly's Abrasive.

Thick-ish, low carb plays right.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I bought a case of this cause my buddy suggested it. Well it didn't last to long. Very potent, kind of thick feeling. A pinch of sweetness. Lagunitas definetly knows what they are doing cause ive had alot of there beers and they never disappoint.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The smell was quite hoppy and the taste follows the nose. The smell is like the resin on a violin bow. There is a great kick when the beer first hits your palate. The mouthfeel hit me quite hard and for a change, I liked it. Good carbonation. You may notice some pineapple, caramel, malts and an earthy bitterness. The finish was great with a creamy medium end.
Overall a great addition to their body of work.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company