Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Ratings: 10,255 |  Reviews: 1,614
3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

The appearance is a light orange/yellow colored yet somewhat hazy body, foamy white head appears and dies to a film coating the top of the beer. Some nice rings are left sticking to the sides of the chalice. The smell is an abundance of grapefruit up front backed up nicely by some light lime, lemon and pine. It comes across very strong as the beer sits on my coaster less than a foot away from my nose and I can still smell it. Some other hops are there but not as intrusive as the grapefruit ones. The malts are there slightly. The taste is bitter and eventually gets slightly sweet as the beer warms. The grapefruit is tasted all the way down. The palate is about a medium but doesn’t come across that sessionable with a sticky aftertaste, and gets slightly syrupy and the finish is dry, The ABV is hidden well. Overall, pretty nicely done DIPA well worthy of my time.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First things first. This beer in no way SUCKS!!

Pours an amber/gold into a fifteen ounce mug the same temperature as the beer. Just my thing. Two fingers of off white head that turns rocky as it settles. Lasts for a while. Decent lacing.

Hits the nose with the IPA signature big bold hops. Citrus, pine and ripe white grapefruit. Some sweet malts that form a good backbone to support the hoppy goodness. Resinous pine builds on the palate sip after sip. Not boozy at all. Perfect carbonation rounds out the medium mouthfeel.

Very drinkable. Sessional. I could drink this brew all day long. Just plain tastes good! Cheers.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Looks good. Tasty. Nice color. Pale. Smells hoppy and tastes incredible. It's really one of Lagunitas' best beers. But then I like most of their beers. The mouth feel is full, balanced, and smooth. Juicy, Tasty. Lovely.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a big fan of overly hopped beers....still it was tolerable for me and although I will not buy this again I wouldn't consider it horrible and would drink it again if it was offered to me free.

Talk about a happy accident. Lagunitas was unable to produce its popular Brown Sugga in 2010, and came up with this as a compensation for their fans. In my opinion, this is their best brew. It is a totally complete beer, hence my 5 rating. This is one of the very best beers I have ever had.

Look- Beautiful, transparent, amber body. The head is snow-white an holds up quite well.

Smell- This may be the best feature of this beer. Pineapple and mango hit the nose right away. You can detect just a little malt. This aroma is exceptionally appetizing.

Taste- The pineapple/mango carry over. Rather than tang or sweetness, there is a dry bitterness and a medium overall strength. Amazingly, you can't detect the 7.85 % ABV.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean. Slightly astringent. Finish is also clean with just a little creaminess. Aftertaste is a lingering and mildly bitter.

Overall- Anyone who reads my reviews can easily tell that I am partial to stouts. If I am going to consider varying my routine, this would be my first consideration, hands down. This is a unique brew that is a must-try for ale or IPA fans. Additionally, certain beers to which I have given all 5s or really close to such have had inconsistent batching issues. I have, therefore, reduced my overall ratings for them. This particular beer has always maintained the same level of quality, and this also helps earn it a perfect score.

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Clear, foamy head with streak lacing. Golden amber color. Aroma is citrus, tropical fruit, and light floral notes. Flavor is bread, orange, passion fruit, grain, and herbs. Sweeter up front with some resinous hop oil bite in the finish. A decent beer overall.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company