Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,558 | Ratings: 10,054
4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I pour this from a bottle into a clear teardrop glass. It pours a hazy golden color with a two finger white head. The awesome smell immediately hits your nose. It's very grapefruity, heavy on the hops. What a great beer!

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

After having back-to-back with FW Double Jack, man this almost comes across as Double Jack Lite (more so than Union Jack).

Finish comes off as a touch more short and watery. But seriously...fresh at $10 a sixer, this is hard to beat!

I love Maximus and Hop Stupid, but I can see the genius here! Glad Petaluma is right up the road!

Grade 93+/94-, A all day!

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured an aggressive finger of head into pint glass. Dark, almost burnt orange color produced a very citrus, floral aroma. Taste was filled with great citrus flavors such as grapefruit, orange, and even mango. Nice hop presence as well. Lacing proved how dank this beer really is. Beautiful layered lacing all the way down. Fantastic brew. One of my all time favs.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Deep clear yellow with a nice head and beautiful lacing. It is pleasantly fragrant, citrusy and floral. The taste is great! Very citrusy,smooth, slightly sweet. No overwhelming bitterness. One of the most pleasant IPAs I have had!

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had this poured into a pint glass. The color was a very hazy golden-orange. The flavor and aroma had a very cirusy flavor, good stuff. The mouthfeel was pretty intense...little hard on the carbonation. Overall pretty good.

My goodness this is awesome! A first-timer to Sucks, I am impressed. The lace left behind is almost as beautiful as the beer! This is a full-favored ale that seriously blows away all other ales I have tried!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft in a bar this weekend. Very floral nose, hazy appearance. Taste was very low bitterness, low malt, very fruity. Overall this is fantastic, this is the beginning of the future. Will buy again

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mostly clear golden/copper in color with a monstrous head. Foamy/creamy with great retention.

Very big malt aroma. I know this isnt brown shuggah, but I am getting brown sugar on the nose. Grains and malt mostly. A bit of alcohol and tobacco as it warms.

Taste: again, very malt forward for an IPA. Almost no bitterness, certainly on the light side. Very odd "IPA" if you ask me.

Im sorry to disagree with the majority on this one, but this is hardly an IPA to me so I have to adjust my rating a bit.

Its not bad, I just wouldnt call this an IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell has lots of resin, some pine. Taste is resin, pine, bitter, pineapple, some malts are present. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer, but I wasn't blown away by it.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent grain quality in this. The flavor and mouth feel are complex with the wheat adding definition and the rye adding spice. I get grapefruit and pineapple with lots of dank resin. The carbonation is low which makes this drink very smooth. Excellent ipa.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

From an undated quart bottle. Golden color with a finger of white head. Great smell of piney hops. Smooth feel and big hop flavor. Definitely on the bitter side (IBU of 63, the bottle says). Good example of the style. The only possible downside is that there's nothing unique about this, and I think I'd struggle to tell it apart from other California DIPAs if I did a blind test.

3.29/5  rDev -23.7%

Had this last night and was pretty pumped about it but it turned out to be another disappointment for me from lagunitas. Poured a light golden color with a nice retaining white head. The taste is where I had an issue. Just not much going on for me. At 8% I could taste the booze coming through (surprising for an 8%), I got hardly any of the piny, dank hoppy punch I was expecting. I have seen plenty of good reviews on this beer and I am sure many people like it, maybe I grabbed a bad one?? IDK....

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Good IPA style brew in a quart bottle (brewed in Chicago?) with a big head when poured. (My avatar WILL be a green quart tavern tall returnable Ballantine ale from the 70s.) The forum worries about container size. I don't mind beer in larger sizes and growlers because I prefer them a little flat.

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Out of a bottle into my tulip.
A – Slightly hazy, light golden pour with a vivid white head that settles quickly.
S- Hops, piney, floral, light brown sugar
T – Mildly sweet to start with a good bite of piney, resinous flavor. Hoppy bitterness. Tails off with some solid citrus flavors of orange and grapefruit.
M – Medium carbonation. Little slick and smooth.
O – Tasty brew right here. Lot of flavors which are well balanced and play off each other.

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a shaker, it pours a clear golden yellow with a two-finger head, foamy, with good retention and very good lacing.

The bouquet is a fruit cocktail, tropical and dank. Mango, papaya, pineapple, passion fruit… lots of passion fruit. Very assertive.

The fruit cocktail continues in the mouth. Very smooth and light body, with just the necessary carbonation. You can tell it's very bitter, but it balances greatly with the malty sweetness and all the fruits you get; however, the bitterness prevails in its long finish.

Outstanding beer.

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy gold with covering lace.
Full body, intense flavor, fairly hot and rich mouthfeel, nice carbonation, long palate.
Very bitter but balanced.
Intense hop flavors, resiny, grapefruity.
Satisfying and enjoyable.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a golden honey color with lots of larger sediments floating about, less than one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there is significant lacing on the glass, lightly carbonated.

SMELL: peppery, brown sugar, bread, grapefruit citrus and pine resin, I can also smell some booze.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose precisely, peppery then sweet brown sugar, some grapefruit citrus and pine resin, the 8% ABV is perceptible.

PALATE: medium body and lightly carbonated.

OVERALL: this is a solid traditional DIPA, I would buy this again and would recommend to anyone who enjoys the style.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- golden and slightly hazy. Nice white head that sticks to the glass leaving layers of white rings.
S- hoppy with pineapple and citrus and a familiar scent that comes with a lagunitas brew
T- papaya, and pineapple, alittle pineyness and somewhat bitter
F-medium feel with a slight prickle of carbonation
O- got this one on draft at the local taco mac. Enjoyed it in the past and tonight was no different.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

12 oz bottle, unclear date code

Clear golden color, good head and lacing. Nice strong pine and citrus hop aroma. Taste is very hop dominated, and somewhat bitter. Sticky mouthfeel

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%

Fun. Fun. Fun. Complex, citrus, pine, hops, and a little touch of malt. Long, tangy after taste. The citrus and pine overload is the opposite of boring.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

LOOKS: Golden amber, nice small carbonation rising. Crystal clear in the glass with a 2"+ creamy off white head that lasts and leaves nice thick lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Lots of pine and citrus/grapefruit, a nice sweetness to the aroma, doesn't smell harsh at all. Very resinous.
TASTE: Sweet malt, then the citrus and pine bitterness kick in nicely and head for the finish line. Very well balanced if you like a nice bitter/sweet ratio.
FEEL: Incredibly smooth while still some nice effect from ample carbonation. You get a little of the sticky hop resin but the beer finishes on the dry side.
OVERALL: Awesome DIPA right here, great balance and no harshness, whatsoever.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light yellow and orange, lots of clarity, super professional appearance even right down to the 1/2" of white head on it. Blast of hops, piney, green, vegetal, proprietary. Wow.

Taste super light dry cracker pale malt body allows for maximum hop penetration, oats for smoothness and knocking down the bitterness. Not gratingly bitter either, lots of citrus fruit and pine dankness like you opened a bottle from the dispensary.

New hop varieties seem to have a short shelf life though, this one gets compromised pretty quick, drink asap is more important with this one than about any other.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Found 6-pack of this at Total Wine for $8.99 - Score! Pours a cloudy golden with gorgeous lacing. Medium bodied with very hoppy pine taste. Exactly what I'm looking for in a IIPA.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

32oz growler fill.
Pour to imperial pint glass. Smell of sugary booze. Pours bright copper color. Thin translucent head. Could be flat from growler. Gotta take with this one. Smells of boozy notes, sweet burnt sugary taste lingers on palate. Very noticeable. Malt and sugar doesn't combat slight bitterness but rather compliments

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

32 Fluid ounce poured to wine glass
Today is 1/23/2016
Appearance: Light amber, small head, almost no lacing
Aroma: Strong hoppy smell, slight boozy scent not overpowering
Taste: Slightly bitter, then sweet,
Mouth feel:
Overall: Excellent beer, specially with the price. Definitely something to look forward to.

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company