Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Jules11788 on 11-07-2011

Reviews: 1,583 | Ratings: 10,141
4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Move over Hopslam, ye have been dethroned in my book.

A - Beautiful, clear ruddy-amber, thin white head.

S - Interesting mix of pine, pineapple, straw, orange rind, slightly funky cheese hints linger in the nose on the end, but not at all off-putting.

T - Big hops up front, tastes match the smell fairly well. More of the orange rind, and a mix of savory bitterness and sweet.

M - Fairly heavy, has a chewiness to it, and well carbonated.

O - I found 2013's Hopslam to be off from year's past, and luckily discovered Sucks just in time to fill the gap. One of the best DIPA's I've had in a long time. Haven't had many Lagunitas, but this beer converted me.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I guess I need to confess that I like lagunitas beers. Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Nice two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Golden color.

Smell is lagunitas standard. Pineapple? Sirupy hops with lots of sweetness. Orange rind with grapefruit.

Taste follows the nose with a nice sweet hoppiness to start, bitter hops in the middle with sweet hop to finish. Tastes like a combination of a little sumpin' sumpin' and brown shugga light. Since I like both beers I like this one.

Mouthfeel is normal double ipa. Good carbonation with a slight hop resin slickness.

Overall a really good double ipa. It's pretty much what I expected given the name and my familiarity with lagunitas.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm finally getting around to reviewing this one - not sure what took me so long.

What a pretty beer... a glowing gold body that is stuffed from side to side with constant beading. A creamy finger of off-white head retains well and leaves behind drapes of lace from start to finish.

The aroma reminds me quite a bit of Sculpin or Dreadnaught. Juicy hop character defined by tropical fruits and some heady nugz. Nose-gasm.

Takes a slightly different direction on the palate. A bit more citrus and pine resin. More complex than the nose would suggest. Really tasty stuff.

This beats the piss outta Brown Sugga.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a delirium tremens tulip snifter.

A - Pour is copper with a nice white head. Color is clouded by floating sediment and constant bubbling.

S - Smell is huge citrus, with grapefruit and tart orange. There is a hint of sweet pine and floral notes.

T - Taste matches the nose but does have a nice trus sweetness to it from some clever malt wok that is not present in the nose.

M - Nice and tangy. The bitterness and sweetness are very well balanced and do not cause one or the other to linger on the palate.

Overall, this beer is awesome. I have not had much exposure to lagunitas in the past. WIth my recent tastings of several of their beers, this is by far my favorite. Though it doesn't come out and call itself one, this is an awesome imperal or double IPA. This may be close to the top of this category for me. Watch out Bells Hopslam and Breckenridge 471 Small Batch!

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Single bottle from a six pack, picked up in DC by a fellow BA. Thanks daryk!

Poured into my Duvel tulip. I can't find a freshness date on the bottle, but I'm guessing around October 2012 or so.

Light honey caramel in colour, with about a half inch of head, which settles nicely into a thick ring with some icicled lacing.

Nose is generously hoppy and tropical, with grapefruit, mango, orange and a resin bitterness as well. Touch of grain and caramel sweetness as well. Impressive.

Certainly an enjoyable double IPA, quite bitter and a bit drier than I'd expected it to be. It begins sweet and caramel, though milder than some of the other examples of the style. The bittering hops are all there, and there's a dry-hopped quality to it. Citrus is overtaken a touch by the resin bitterness, though grapefruit pith and mango are still there. Bready and a little bit soapy to the finish.

Lighter bodied, easy to drink, moderate to high carbonation.

I enjoyed this brew to be sure, and I'm happy to have the better part of a six pack left to hold on to and explore a bit more. I can't say that I'm blown away by it, however; it feels a bit off balance - drier and more bitter than I think I'd like, but it's a fine beer nevertheless. Not something I would go that far out of my way to get again, which considering how infrequently I get my hands on American craft brews, is a decision I have to make.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Best beer that I've had in a long time. I was expecting something much heavier from Lagunitas at 7.8%. Great hop aros woma and hop burst. Very well balanced. Not overly bitter as you'd expect from 63 IBUs. Great beer. Lagunitas sucks for not making this beer year round.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light-golden yellow color with a modest-sized white head that slowly faded

Taste:The pine aromas carry over to the taste along with some mild caramel notes. I definitely get some citrus notes in the mix. The finish ends with some mild citrus notes.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Overall: Very good IPA for my usually Imperial Stout-preferring Palate.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a nice bright golden orange color with about two fingers of doughy off-white head with decent retention. Lots of bubbles lazily floating to the top. Very nice rings of webbed lacing.

S - Luscious bitter grapefruit. Light fruity mango / papaya smell. Some lemon. An amalgamation of fruity hoppiness. Fresh, fruity, and floral. Some soapiness.

T - Taste follows the nose pretty well. Multiple layers of fruitiness abound: orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit. Light and fruity up front, and then bitter and spicy from the hops in the finish. Unlike some of Lagunitas's other IPA offerings, the Lagunitas Sucks tastes much more freshly hopped than some of their other brews, which use hop extracts.

M - Dank bitter fruity hop presence sticks to the palate for a while, allowing you to savor the flavor. Fruitiness and sweetness lingers.

Overall, I love this beer more and more each and every time I drink it. Dangerously drinkable at 7.85% abv, refreshing even. This has got to be one of my all time top widely-available DIPA's, if not my favorite. Excellent.

Lagunitas Sucks ---4.5/5

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Dark honey colored with a one inch white head.

Smell: Sweet sweet brown sugar is the main aroma I am getting. (Who would have guessed?) I also detect notes of cinnamon.

Taste: Goddamn Batman! So delicious. Not quite as overwhelmingly sweet as the smell (which is a good thing) but the brown sugar aftertaste is very detectable. Tasty hoppy bitterness as well in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good medium carbonation. The sweetness and hoppiness definitely stick around for a while.

Overall: Such a great beer. I am in love with Lagunitas. 4.2/5

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: A welcoming golden, honey color with a finger of head
S: Wow! Now that's a very citrusy hop aroma that lets you know this is from the West Coast. It screams "drink me!"
T: Taste goes down piney with citrus on the backside; however it slides right down without any overpowering bitterness and absolutely no hint of alcohol. Definitely not a palette wrecker like some of the other DIPA offerings
M: Mouthfeel is of a medium body, with a little tingly carbonation to tease the taste buds
O: Overall the ranking is appropriate; one of my favorites that is now a regular addition to the beer fridge. And I must agree with others that its nice to find it readily available and at a reasonable price. You simply can't go wrong with this one. Well done!

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into SN "tulip".
This seemed to be a popular item this year and still able to find it hanging around, and of course at a value price - gotta' love this brewery for that.
Rich dense hop aroma. Occasionally get hints of excess/resin, but it varies per glass and is never prominent (fortunately).
Full dense head that laces beautifully. Slightly cloudy amber towards oranges and reds.
A very nicely balanced DIPA. Flavors up front show strong hop and malt flavors. The malt is no shrinking violent in this drink. Bitterness is strong, but smooth. Complex drink throughout, hints of alcohol. Only moments of resiny excess.
Moderately heavy feel yet nice and smooth throughout.
A well done DIPA. Drinks enjoyably from top to bottom.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Light Gold -Interesting

S: Hints of pine and almost sweet

T: Wonderful with a nice bite at the end

M: Wonderful Medium moutheel with nice carbonation

O: Had stayed away from this because it has sucks in title but its some really good stuff. Glad I was able to get somemore.

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, honey amber colored with a huge fluffy white head that lingers leaving great lacing, clear

S: amazing citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pine, mango, papaya, like fruit coctail

T: excellent flavors of above mentioned fruit, finish is pine resin and drier, initial flavors are quite sweet

M: creamy for the style, medium bodied, alcohol well hidden, good carbonation

O: This is an excellent DIPA. It's very easy to drain a glass of this. The fruit smells and flavors are fabulous. There's also a great background story behind this beer along with it's hilarous name. Buy extra if you can find it.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues along with a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high dense white head that has excellent retention properties and took a very long time to die down, consistently leaving a short head covering the surface and lots of lacy rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of citrusy hops are present in the nose—tangerines and grapefruit seem to stand out in particular.
T: Like the smell, the taste is very citrusy and also has prominent flavors of tropical fruits in the form of mangoes. A light to moderate amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is extremely drinkable, especially since the bitterness is subdued compared to other beers in the style and no traces of alcohol are present in the taste. It's packed with so many flavors of mangoes and citrus that I feel like I am getting 100 percent of my recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle poured into tulip 11/3/13

A clear golden copper with plenty of bubbles popping up from everywhere, a large 3 finger foam quickly falls to a pinky's width and sits there, several thick rings spaced far apart are the evidence of the larger normal sips I'm taking

S pine is strong, tangerine, mandarin orange, grapefruit and pineapple work well with just a little caramel sweetness, smells quite strong and its pretty much what I look for in a West Coast DIPA

T some lemon rind I didn't smell and slightly less pine, still a nice tropical blast but toned down just a tad compared to the nose

M not to heavy for a DIPA and creams up slightly from the bubbles, has a nice mellow bitter bite but nowhere near a palate wrecker, a little slick after the fact with some pine, citric rind, and caramel on the finish

O one of the better hop bombs I've had recently, no booze at any point and solid in every area, I could smell it all day and I'm very stoked I have 5 more in my 6er

Well if Lagunitas sucks I don't need awesome, really though this is a great brew and I'm very stoked I can buy this here in Alberta and will be buying it again soon

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Brothers: Are you kidding me? There's a 9 point difference between you and us and you're on the wrong side of history. SUCKS is amazing. And factoring in the very reasonable price and the fact that it can ACTUALLY BE FOUND on shelves, it's one of the best. The nose: 5. Taste 5. For hopheads, the battle is between Enjoy By and Sucks. And I'm from the Midwest. California: we give up!! You win. (Hate to say it.)

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber/gold with about 2 1/2 fingers of eggshell head. Very fine foaminess with a super sticky lacing.

A very citrusy sweet nose. Smells overwhelmingly of pineapple and candi sugar. It's very crisp and very big.

Hop-forward. All you really get is the hop flavor with this beer, but it's never overwhelming or too bitter. Fresh cut pineapple and other citrusy fruits. Definitely some grassy notes on the backend. The beer is balanced by its sweetness, but the sugar flavor has little depth.

The beer is medium-full-bodied and leaves a little bit of stickiness and resin on your tongue. Perfect carbonation level for the style. Not terribly creamy, but still a pleasant and smooth texture.

I had one of these the other day and the flavor had really fallen off. I was worried about the remainder of the sixer, but the one I'm drinking new is beautiful. An excellent west coast ipa.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Poured from short 12oz bottle into mug. Clear golden yellow with visible carbonation, thick foamy white head that came up a lot more than I expected, even with a pretty tame pour. Leaves bubbly lacing all over the glass as it's drunk. Smell is sweet fruit at first, sort of mango or pineapple, then hoppy at the end. Almost smells gin-like. Taste follows suit exactly; sweet and smooth up front, then hoppy and bitter at the end. Mouthfeel is almost creamy, odd for the style, but probably from the extra sweetness. Overall, this is quite different from your average DIPA, but it's delicious.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle purchased for $2. Poured into Founders snifter.

A- Pours a translucent slightly brownish golden with a fairly thin white head that leaves spotty lacing, nice consistent carbonation.

S- Earthy hops, some pine, light sweet malts that are well balanced with the hops.

T- Earthy hops, oranges, light sap, finishes fairly bitter earthy hop taste and a slightly fruity aftertaste of earthy hops, oranges, and light presence of bananas. Nice balance, personally prefer a bit more citrus though.

M- Medium bodied, decent carbonation, easy drinking.

O- This was a decent IPA, but with so many good IPAs out there it is hard to rate this one that highly. Overall I think it is definitely overrated, but very good for the price. Personally I think there are a few better IPAs you can pick up a four pack or six pack of, but not many that you can get for $2/bottle.

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

If it wasn't for all the positive comments on BA about this beer, I may not have ever tried one. But I'm glad I did because it is awesome! Found it in the singles for $1.77 a bottle, grabbed the last 2 they had. Great price, most "top-notch" brews are in the $3 range at least.

Poured into a snifter glass, nice copper color, nice lacing.

Smell? Like laying down in a forest of pine needles, with a basket of peaches spilling about!

Taste is the best part. After initially numbing the tongue, it slides down ever so smoothly, leaving a sweet, sticky residue. So good.

I've only seen this beer in one store so far, and can't wait to get some more of it! :)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas SUCKS is my first review: I got to sample this highly interesting beer at a neighborhood party,and it was an eye opener for me. Until recently, I was only an occaisional beer drinker, favoring smooth British Ales (Samuel Smiths was one of the few designer beers available 30 years ago,still a fine product).

A small glass holding 4 or 5 oz was poured for me to sample:an orange-copper color, and the first thing that struck me about this beer was the heavenly aroma. The usual list of suspects for tropical fruit launch an all out assault on your nose, the most prominent to my senses were apricots. Not being familiar with the "new" breed of hops developed during my period of disinterest in beer, I was convinced that SUCKS was brewed with apricot (i.e. Magic Hat #9),or peach, or mango. WRONG!

The blissfull aroma drew me into the first sip, which was a flavor explosion of epic proportions.
The tropical fruits are up front and the carbonation seems to accent those flavors, the finish is dry and long. This is a lip smacking beer: incredibly smooth drinking and inviting,Lagunitas SUCKS is a real winner,especially for those just starting to explore the world of "hopped up" beers that are all the rage currently.

If you are throwing a dinner party, Sucks is a bargain for $10/six pack just to see the buzz it will create amongst your guests with such an intoxicating aroma and intruiging flavors. Sucks might be the best bang for the buck in the $10 sick pack category.

I'm discovering that Vermont is a good place to be judging by the world class ratings of Hill Farmstead,The Alchemist,and Lawsons: I'll be sure to cover those in future reviews in my quest for a quality brew.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

$10.99 for a 6'er @ BevCo. Brewed with barley, rye, wheat and oats. OG=1.085, 63.21 IBU, 7.85% ABV. Pours out to a brilliantly clear sparkling deep golden/light copper, forming a small off white head with ok retention and minimal lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs. The aroma is great and chockfull O' hops....pine, skunkweed, cat pee, mango and grapefruit. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a hop astringent finish. The taste is a recap of the hops balanced by a firm malt body with grainy husk character and stone fruit esters. Firm bitterness, but well balanced and leaves a pleasant mouthfeel. No perceptible off flavors or aromas.

A world class beer. A wonderful example of the style. I want another, and another...

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

S: Resiny, fresh hops, very bold, grapefruit peel, slight breadiness, some dankness.

L: Fairly clear burnt orange, creamy white head that dissipates. Solid lacing.

T: Sweet maltiness with a prominent grapefruit peel like hoppiness Medium high resiny bitterness with a fairly prominent maltiness complementing. Big orange peel notes as it warms. Finishes a little heavy, semi-dry with additional maltiness and hop resin.

M: Medium full bodied. Medium carbonation.

A really solid, big-bodied IPA. I was surprised by the big malt presence, but still a great IPA overall.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottled served in a pint glass

A - Clear bright gold with one finger white head with good lacing and good head retention.

S - Excellent hop bouquet of citrus grapefruit, pines, and sweet brown sugar.

T - Full palate action starting with sweetness of malt and brown sugar and grassy bitterness followed with a smooth dry bitter finish. It's almost like eating a brown sugar cookie.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation.

O - This is such a tasty and fun beer to drink. For a fairly sweet beer it is so well balanced with hops and bitterness. I really love this. This beer is among my favorites from this most excellent brewery.

Doing this again on 3-6-2013
This beer I think is just as good bottled as it was on tap fresh last year when I lived in CA. This beer is the shit. The best bang for your buck among ANY DIPA.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours very light golden/orange, minimal white head which disappears very quickly, not much lacing. 3.5

Aroma-This beer smells very citrusy. Tangerine, grapefruit, orange sherbet, honeysuckle, lemon zest, a little woodsy pine in there too. 4.75

Taste-Oh my, the tangerine in this is unreal. Bitter grapefruit and orange peel come through quick. Nice kick of hops after you swallow. Slight hint of honey. Small notes of floral and pine round out a great taste. 4.75

Feel-light bodied but not watery, coats well and lingers on the palate, very mild carbonation. 4.25

Overall-This is a great beer! Very compatible to hopslam and some of the other big DIPA's out there. Priceline this has just about every beer on the planet beat, I got it for $9.99 a sixer. That's insanely cheap for this beer. I hope this becomes a year round brew because I need more of it, immediately. Dangerously easy to drink, abv at 7.85% is surprising, this thing will sneak up on you. 4.75

Lagunitas Sucks (Brown Shugga Substitute Ale) from Lagunitas Brewing Company