1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

DayTime | Lagunitas Brewing Company

DayTimeDayTime
3.95/5
Very Good
DayTimeDayTime

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American IPA

Have you been jonesing for something more primal and less evolved? If so, fire is the element for you. Air, water, and earth are of no use. There is a freedom in burning down the house of fixed expectations and it confers an undeniable lightness to being.

Beer Speaks. People Mumble.

Ratings: 2,631 |  Reviews: 486
Reviews by beagle75:
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A: Clear, pale golden color with over one finger of white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass and diffuse bubbles rise across the column.

S: Juicy grapefruit and lush pine and enjoined into a pungent and classic West Coast hops assault on the nose. More delicate herbaceous qualities and a thread of light toasted malt are also detected. The intense dankness of the smell fades rapidly, revealing the secondary characteristics.

T: Begins dry, with sparse pale malt and metered hop aromatics that include floral, herbaceous, and restrained grapefruit peel. Acidity is mild into the middle where flavors are a bit juicier, carrying through but staying clean in the finish which is noteworthy for its very trace bitterness.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This is a fine IPA that drinks effortlessly--one of the best beers in quite a while from Lagunitas. It deviates from the typical Lagunitas blueprint, instead emphasizing some pleasant dry-hopped qualities. It may suggest that Lagunitas just isn't that good at crafting high gravity beers, which is ironic and shameful since they do a lot of it.

3.57/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

What a day it has been in terms of The Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014! A succession of lagers has finally brought me to an AIPA, which is more in my wheelhouse. I have Heaven 17 doing "Let Me Go" playing on YouTube with lyrics that include "Daytime, all I want is nighttime ..."

From the bottle: "Say 'Lah-Goo-Knee-Tuss'"; "A Fractional IPA (is that ridiculous or what ...?!)"; "Have you been jonesing for something more primal and less evolved? If so, Fire is the element for you. Air, Water, and Earth are of no use. There is a freedom in burning down the house of fixed expectations and it confers an undeniable lightness to being."; "Life is Uncertain. Don't Sip."

Step 1: Pop the cap. Step 2: Upend the bottle. Step 3: Step back. Yeah, I get the idea behind these Session AIPAs - they are all aroma hops with very little bitterness in terms of taste. It's like window dressing or picking up a date only to discover she's a tranny. I want the real thing, baby! I watched as the pseudo-cascade settled into two fingers of dense, bone-white head with great retention. It began to fall in a slow, inexorable way, leaving behind some great, sticky lacing. Color was Pale Straw (SRM = 1 - 2) with NE-quality clarity, but I am always dubious when my beer is paler than my urine. Nose smelled of dank and cattiness! WTF!?! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, which is another drawback in this style. The taste was equally lacking. I really wanted it to taste like it smelled, but such was not the case. It had a weak citrusiness, but I was not into it. Finish was semi-dry, but the flavors were so bland and muted that I was now ready to drink a beer.

I might have been angry when I wrote my original review, but today is M, 25 Febrewary 2019, I am 54 y/o, they have put this beer into CANs for The CANQuest (tm) & I am willing to give it a seCANd ChANce.

From the CAN: "This beer in your hand has achieved what we all hope for ourselves; to be made new again. There is freedom in burning down the house of expectations and it confers an undeniable lightness to being. We didn't invent these truths; they invented us."; "At 4% ABV and only 98 calories, DayTime IPA represents everything we know about making hop-forward beer, expressed in a sotto voice. Call us! 707.769.4495 Cheers!"

I Crack!ed open the vent on this latest CAN & began an inverted Glug into the awaiting glass just to see what would happen. It erupted with two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head that puffed up, exhaled & fell like someone had banged the oven door shut with the soufflé still inside! 8=O It did leave a lot of webby lacing behind, so there's that. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a pronounced cattiness as though that little stinker, Simcoe the Kitty, was pussyfooting around, doing her business as she saw fit. It also had a biscuit maltiness as its base, which seemed pleasant on the nose. Mouthfeel was medium to full, big for a Session AIPA. The taste was kind of muted, not nearly as catty as the nose, but with a pithy lemony-grapefruit citrusiness and a nice biscuitiness. I would almost liken this to liquefied lemon biscotti, but it just did not have the presence to warrant it. Finish was semi-dry & very refreshing. Okay, but so what? I just felt, as I usually do, that I had been cheated. It lacked Ooomph & calories are the least of my worries. It seemed better than my original enCANter with it, but it was still not up to snuff. YMMV.

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have been trying different sessions IPAs for about a year. Never found one that I really liked. This is the best I have tried. Actually prefer it over regular IPAs that I have been drinking. While I still like the other IPAs, I don't really need too many 7.5% beers. This beer should be perfect for summer.

Definitely an ok sessional IPA, but a little lacking on taste. Just a tad bland for my liking. Would be fine for a casual beer on a porch, but not unless you were planning on having several

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours a clear yellow... I'd have trouble picking this out of a crowd of "Lite" beers if it weren't for the fluffy white head and strong sticky lacing.

The aroma is the best thing this beer has going for it. Big fruity hop aromas make you think this is could be a real IPA. (Spoiler Alert: It's not.)

The taste is much like the smell, but toned way down. The bitterness really overpowered the hop flavors for me, and the whole thing was way too thin. Every time I took a sip I was wondering where my beer went.

Overall, it's a decent brew that lives up to it's name as a session IPA. It's not something I would reach for again, though. If you're staring at the window of your local store and looking for something light to bring to the BBQ I recommend reaching for Stone's, Southern Tier's or Founders' interpretations on the style way before this one.

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle(s) poured into a nonic pint ... not all at once.
Look - Pale, amber/yellow. Head that settles rather quickly. No lacing. Almost looks like an AAL.
Smell - Citrus rind 'n' pine. Touch of wet bread.
Taste - Grapefruit with it's peel, piney hops, and green onion.
Feel - Not as watery as it looks. Medium mouthfeel. Made to drink easy.
Overall - Easy drinking and tastes like a Lagunitas IPA. Made to be enjoyed all day long and I will.

2.9/5  rDev -26.6%

Tastes like a hoppy pilsner, with a carbonated mouth feel.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Surly glass. Bottled on April 10th. Picked up at my local ABC Fine Wine & Spirits as a mix-a-six.

Body is crystal clear light yellow with a bright white head; left zero amount of lacing in the glass

A light amount hop aroma and not much else; perhaps due to the age?

Taste is about the same as the aroma, not much. I don't expect much from sessions ales anyway.

Feel is very thin, finishes dry and is definitely a beer brewed to drink a lot of and not get too drunk. Not a lot going on.

Overall, this is an OK beer, just not impressed with sessions ales most times. I will look for this again and if its fresher I'll pic up another bottle to see if it's better.

A: Very light, clear
S: No sweet scents, maybe hints of citrus?
T: Quite dry, good bitter after taste
M: Carbonation, smooth on the watery side
O: Easy to drink,

12oz brown bottle w/ no freshness date.

LOOK: Crystal clear golden hue, beautiful lacing

SMELL: Tangerine pulp, grapefruit rind, birch, peppery, leafy, bready, spicy

TASTE: Very crisp, wet, lighter bodied, thorough hop bitterness, nutty graininess, mildly pungent, citrus rind, dried grass, papaya, very dry finish

A very solid sessionable IPA, had no problem quaffing this back and ended up getting my hop fix as well. All in all a great ale.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

On tap at the Chicago brewery. Pale gold and clear. Lots of Citra on the nose, plenty in the taste too. Not much malt. Sure it is a session, but it is a solid beer. I would add this to my rotation if it hit the grocery store shelfs

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My favorite session beer. Lots of flavor, stuck between a super clean IPA and a smooth, but bitter pilsner. Very refreshing. Pine flavor with a dry finish, not very malty. Very very slight hints of citrus (not fruity) with a nice yellow color and a medium white head. Gotta say, Lagunitas nailed this session. Hard to find in Richmond, VA though. Total Wine and grocers don't seem to carry it. Found a convenience store with a unusually good craft beer selection that stocks it regularly (next to Snead's Nursery on Huguenot Road), if you're going by local reviews.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

This is the grail of sessionables. I've had Terrapin, Founders, and a host of others, none of which compare.

Pours a beautiful straw color with scents of citrus, resin, and a touch of sweet malt.

Taste is spot on. Beautiful hop presence with rich citrus and resinous tastes. Just a touch of malt for balance. Refreshing, crisp, and hoppy.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Light, perfect carbonation that washes the hoppy flavors over the tongue.

Overall, I can say that this is the perfect representation of a sessionable IPA. You can have a few of these without getting full and the flavor never becomes boring.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a very clear, light golden color with a nearly white, short head. Very grape fruity citrus nose. Wet, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Finishes with a little mild carbonation scrub. Grapefruit from start to finish. A little juicy at the end. This brew is in my wheelhouse. Love it!!

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very clear light yellow. Understanding that this is a low-alcohol, session IPA, the hoppy-citrus taste is pretty big, larger than the aroma and look suggests. Feel is decent - this is a light beer. Another solid option if you're looking to take it easy or get prepped for bigger beer.

DayTime from Lagunitas Brewing Company