DayTime | Lagunitas Brewing Company

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Grassy notes, with overtones of orange and a very slight barnyard. Large, fluffy white, foamy head, almost like soap suds or sea foam, sticks around for a while. Easy drinking and clean, but with some funk in the back. A good IPA for people not fans of IPAs.

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

I picked up a bottle of Lagunitas Daytime Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm a fan of Session IPA's, but I've never tried this one before and i'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label look ok, it's pretty typical for Lagunitas, but it isn't too eye catching. It poured a slightly pale bright yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mix of citrus, light tropical fruit, light floral hops and there's a noticeable green onion like aroma coming through. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into a light malty aroma with some slight grainy, pale malt and biscuit malt like aromas coming through. This beer had a decent aroma, but I could go without the green onion aspect.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up, but this time the hop profile is lighter and it imparts the same hoppy aspects that it did in the aroma, but neither aspect sticks out the most and the green onion shows up a little less in the taste, but not by too much. Up next comes a light doughy yeast flavor that leads right into the malts which impart the exact same aspects that they did in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of medium bitterness with a hoppy aftertaste, This was a nice decent tasting beer, but it still had the green onion aspect that I'm not a fan of.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, true to style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, it wasn't bad at all, but I expect a little more from Lagunitas and the green onion aspect only hurt it. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, clean, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the greatest job at holding my attention, so one would be enough for me. What i like the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were pretty true to style and they both worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and aroma, they weren't bad, but they weren't as bright as I was expecting and the green onion hop aspect was a deal breaker. I don't think I would buy this beer again since I would much rather have an All Days IPA. I can't say I would recommend this as a good session IPA, but it might be worth a try just to see where you stand with it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, I expect good things from Lagunitas and this one was just ok and I didn't find it to be too memorable at all. This might be one of my least favorite beers from Lagunitas and it falls right in the middle as far as this style is concerned. I appreciate the effort, but I think with just a little bit of work that this could be a pretty good beer, better luck next time guys..

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%