DayTime | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 2,546 |  Reviews: 461

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

What a day it has been in terms of The Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014! A succession of lagers has finally brought me to an AIPA, which is more in my wheelhouse. I have Heaven 17 doing "Let Me Go" playing on YouTube with lyrics that include "Daytime, all I want is nighttime ..."

From the bottle: "Say 'Lah-Goo-Knee-Tuss'"; "A Fractional IPA (is that ridiculous or what ...?!)"; "Have you been jonesing for something more primal and less evolved? If so, Fire is the element for you. Air, Water, and Earth are of no use. There is a freedom in burning down the house of fixed expectations and it confers an undeniable lightness to being."; "Life is Uncertain. Don't Sip."

Step 1: Pop the cap. Step 2: Upend the bottle. Step 3: Step back. Yeah, I get the idea behind these Session AIPAs - they are all aroma hops with very little bitterness in terms of taste. It's like window dressing or picking up a date only to discover she's a tranny. I want the real thing, baby! I watched as the pseudo-cascade settled into two fingers of dense, bone-white head with great retention. It began to fall in a slow, inexorable way, leaving behind some great, sticky lacing. Color was Pale Straw (SRM = 1 - 2) with NE-quality clarity, but I am always dubious when my beer is paler than my urine. Nose smelled of dank and cattiness! WTF!?! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, which is another drawback in this style. The taste was equally lacking. I really wanted it to taste like it smelled, but such was not the case. It had a weak citrusiness, but I was not into it. Finish was semi-dry, but the flavors were so bland and muted that I was now ready to drink a beer.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into Lagunitas mason jar:

Pours straw yellow with a lasting foamy head.

The smell is of citrus with some grain in the back.

The hop bitterness stays ahead of the malt, though both are lighter than in the aroma. It has a pleasant, citric, crisp dry finish.

A bit thin, but it was meant to be light-bodied. Works well enough.

A pleasantly hoppy, easy-to-drink, light "IPA".

4.1/5  rDev +3%