IPA

Jul 10, 2001
SCORE
Very Good
IPAIPA
Notes: Thanks for choosing to spend the next few minutes with this special homicidally hoppy ale. Savor the moment as the raging hop character engages the Imperial Qualities of the Malt Foundation in mortal combat on the battlefield of your palate!

This is our unique version of an ancient style. A style as old as the ocean trade routes of the last centuries of Great Ships. Not as old as the equator they had to cross twice en route, nor as old as the 10,000 miles or so of Di-Hydrogen Oxide and Sodium upon which they sailed, but older than the Circulithium-4 Lentoid that binds the Lupulin Quartnate onto your taste buds. Weird. Think about it. Now stop. OK, go again. Now stop. Think again. And stop. But we digress. Made with 43 different hops and 65 various malts, this redolent ale will likely float your boat, whatever planet you're on.

45.6 IBU
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

4.21 by JHeard79 from North Carolina on Yesterday at 04:04 AM

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by griffinwelsh

Notes of grapefruit. Deep gold color. Very hoppy flavor. Overall a good IPA for less than $2/bottle, and it's available at most gas stations. Hard to be upset with this beer.

May 04, 2022

3.53 by sbradley41 from Pennsylvania on Apr 16, 2022

3.73 by not2quick from Missouri on Apr 12, 2022

4.25 by Beecham from California on Apr 08, 2022

by MarshalLovesBeer

Pours a nice golden color with a 1” white head. Lacing is very nice. Drinking my 2nd one of these for the night…the 2nd is even better than the first. I’m a huge fan of Lagunitas and love several of their IPA offerings but never had tried their original IPA; I figured it was time to. The head and smell of this brew is so delightfully refreshing and tantalizing. This is definitely the most balanced IPA I’ve ever drank. It’s not hop loaded nor malt loaded…it’s just a very balanced, mild IPA, with an overall nectarine/peach flavor to it. Definitely a wonderful session IPA that I will drink again.

Mar 31, 2022
3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by AlexandraDen from Canada (ON)

Pours a clear, coppery-yellow colour. A one finger head bubbles down into a spotty yet creamy cap.

Incredibly unique aroma that I have not encountered in the 73 beers I’ve reviewed so far. Earthy, grassy, floral and a bit savoury. I’m thinking this is due to the crazy amount of hop and malt mix in here. Hoping there is a nice mix in the palate rather than a haphazard one. Biscuity malts and straw, pine needles and dried fruit leaves.

Pleasant malt biscuitiness on the front of the tongue and a light pleasant bitterness on the back end that is mildly piney and just a bit citrusy. Grapefruit mostly. Pleasant mix of both and the malt and bready flavours shine out quite well.

Lightly bitter body that is pleasant with a bready aftertaste, this leans towards a lighter body with medium carbonation that is pretty classic.

43 hops and 60+ malts, wow. I’d say this leans to a more homogenized taste but it’s still nice and subtle and varied. Definitely not homicidally hopped, maybe at one point when it first came out. But it’s great to have it to remember what benchmark, typical IPAs tasted like, both years ago and historically. They were nowhere near as hopped as they are now, and this provides a great benchmark for what IPAs, and even APAs in reference to IPAs should/used to taste like.

It’s great and classic, very enjoyable. Our taste buds might be scorched by modern beers these days, sort of like how hardcore smokers with tarred up palates would drink the most peated, explosively fiery scotches and claim they barely taste it! It’s still very classic and enjoyable, much more than the average beer.

Mar 29, 2022
4.21/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by ponypunk

Pours a semi-clear amber color with off white head and good lacing. Smells of biscuit, malt, dried fruit, very fresh with no skunkiness. Tastes of malt, biscuit, hops, and dried apricots with a hint of sweetness. Mouthfeel to me is very luxurious, with some carbonation and hops that lightly covers the tongue. This is a really good beer!

Mar 26, 2022
by CraigL23

This is the IPA that turned me onto IPAs. Before Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada Pale was my "IPA." I liked Lagunitas so much, that's pretty much all I drank and scarcely ever touched Sierra ever again... I tried everything from Lagunitas, Little Sumpin, Maximzizer, etc. and their seasonal selections. I drank it all until I literally couldn't anymore. I started to hate beer. I couldn't go back to Pale or Lager or anything. If it was beer, I literally couldn't drink anything but Lagunitas. So I switched to whiskey and it was perfect and I lost like 30 pounds from not drinking beer and I didn't look back for a long, long time, maybe 2 years. By the time I came back around to beer drinking, there was this whole new world of craft IPAs that were almost all better than Lagunitas. Lagunitas had become the "IPA" of Budweiser. I still enjoy it once and awhile and appreciate it--but much like I can hardly ever drink a Sam Adams ever again, I will be the same with Lagunitas now. It opened me up to a entirely new world of beers, but at the same time, I think the industrialization of it ruined it forever...

Mar 22, 2022

3.49 by mpow34 on Mar 13, 2022

4.22 by LunchMoney from Minnesota on Mar 11, 2022
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
by iamkishanshah from California

This signature lagunitas IPA defined IPA for me and I absolutely love it!

Look: Beautiful clear amber-golden appearance with a medium off white head and leaves some lacing.

Smell: Light malty-ness and bready-ness with the classic piney hop presence.

Taste: Classic flavors of pine, citrus, moderate hop presence with a medium mouthfeel and a crisp dry finish.

Overall a very pleasant beer with 6.2% ABV and 51.5 IBU

Mar 06, 2022
3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by mikeinportc from New York

No discernible dating. Might be old, might not be. *shrug* - It's what's out there. (& why I haven't had this til now)

Short version : basic old-school WCIPA, well-done. Nothing special, "just" good.

The usual orangey-amber, with one finger or so of off-white head. Smells & tastes of pine and bitter citrus, with moderate, moderately-sharp carbonation bite , and medium feel.

Feb 19, 2022
4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
by Kiiz

It’s a stellar ipa. Taste and feel are there. Look is good enough. Smell is meh but who cares. As far as hip heavy IPAs go this is a home run. I came in a skeptic left a believer. Good stuff at Lagunitas. I wouldn’t call it homicidally hoppy bc I didn’t puke from the overly bitter taste covering up a poor product. Instead this quality brew made me laugh. Drink this and laugh.

Feb 15, 2022

4 by ryand14 from Michigan on Feb 14, 2022
3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by Drewpalmquist from South Dakota

starting to like IPA

Feb 10, 2022
3.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by Mattgm1234567

Standard IPA, Nothing special. But not bad.

Feb 04, 2022
by AcidCatfish

This is one of the first beers I've ever tried and actually enjoyed. This was before I really appreciated beer, back when I first turned 21 years ago now. I'm finally getting around to reviewing it after drinking this brew again. I have to say: I absolutely LOVE Lagunitas, but this is the first time in a while I drank their standard IPA instead of one of their limited brews.

Looks - Nice, golden amber, clear. Nice white head, sticks nicely, and looks rocky and textured.

Smell - Orange peels, citrus, light floral aromatics mingling with some vegetative aromatics.

Taste - Taste nearly follows the nose. Lemony, highly citrusy, and orange peel notes. Floral doesn't come in taste. Some biscuity malt toward the finish. Nice balance between hop bitterness and malt.

Feel - Mildly effervescent, not too heavy of a body. Not light-bodied either. Slightly sticky.

Overall, I love this brew. I love it not just for the nostalgia I have with it. After trying it again for the first time in a long time, I really like the taste. A good IPA with a nice balance between hop and malt. While I do prefer their more experimental brews and hop-forward offerings, this is a nice brew to break up some of that and offer the maltiness that you don't get with some of the other offerings. Very good, main downside is that the hop notes aren't too varied. A straightforward IPA, which honestly is not a bad thing at all.

Jan 28, 2022
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
by ZebulonXZogg from Illinois

L: Pours a clear amber with a quick shrinking eggshell head that leaves a nicely laced glass.
S:Floral hops, citrus.
T: Grapefruit, bready malts.
F: Medium bodied, great carbonation.
O: I was not able to come up with a date for this, but it didn't taste fresh. ! usually like Lagunitas products, but this didn't work at all.

Jan 26, 2022
4.16/5  rDev +6.9%
by dcotom from Iowa

Served on draught at the Hy-Vee Market Grille, Cedar Falls, IA. Clear amber color, with a thick white head that left sheets of beautiful lacing before settling to a thin cap. This is what I look for in a West Coast IPA: good malt presence with notes of light caramel and bread, plus a brilliant hoppy kick with pine, citrus, tropical fruit, and orange zest on the nose and palate. Paired with Wahlburgers' Our Burger and fries, it doesn't get too much better. Cheers!

Jan 19, 2022

4.1 by WLS4190 from Georgia on Jan 18, 2022

4 by Kevinday from Nevada on Jan 17, 2022
3.27/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by OfficerVZdiver

Great IPA for people who want to start drinking these types of beers. I really enjoy how smooth it it but still gives the reminder of the hops.

Jan 08, 2022

4.21 by Slyde180 from Texas on Jan 05, 2022
3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
by jackflaps from Pennsylvania

12oz bottle into pint glass.

L: Like an IPA. Amber and transparent, small-ish head but good lacing and lots of carbonation.
S: A hop bomb from the moment it opens. Mainly resinous, a little citrus, dank.
T: Follows the nose. Opens up to reveal a little orange peel/citrus flavor. Strong bitterness to finish.
F: Sticky, settles to bitterness in the finish.
O: A fine IPA. Real hopheads will probably outgrow it quickly but it's a fine standby if it's on tap somewhere.

Jan 05, 2022

4.21 by Legendary_Geko from Florida on Jan 02, 2022

4.25 by MartyB8 from Indiana on Dec 18, 2021

4.18 by Rainintheface from Massachusetts on Dec 16, 2021
3.96/5  rDev +1.8%
by Tony787 from Canada (ON)

A friend gave me a bottle 355ml at 6.2%.
Poured into glass 1finger head .
Smooth and creamy nice balanced tropical fruit flavors very low bitterness level makes. It very easy to drink .
Overall a very good IPA not that sweet which I like from the Lagunitas brewery in California.
Definitely buy this again
Cheers.

Dec 09, 2021

3.98 by TwilightBeerCareer from Illinois on Nov 25, 2021
4.2/5  rDev +8%
by RichardOrmiston from North Carolina

Amber color when poured into a glass, very good taste like rye bread.

Nov 18, 2021