Lagunitas IPA | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas IPALagunitas IPA

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American IPA

Thanks for choosing to spend the next few minutes with this special homicidally hoppy ale. Savor the moment as the raging hop character engages the Imperial Qualities of the Malt Foundation in mortal combat on the battlefield of your palate!

45.6 IBU

Added by kbub6f on 07-10-2001

Ratings: 8,843 |  Reviews: 1,809

2.02/5  rDev -48.1%

Ok, first of all, what's with all the confusion of names? No, this is not brewed in Laguna, so why call it "Lagunitas"? Nor is it brewed in India, so why call it "India"? (It's actually manufactured in Petaluma, California, USA.) Nor is this by any means a pale ale, so why call it "pale ale"?

What this actually is, is a dark-amber ale with very strong amber/red ale flavors and smells, and a nagging odor of burnt plastic on top. Other than the nasty burnt-plastic smell, would have been a nice ale.

VERY high alcohol content, though, I think much higher than listed on the label. Label says 6.2%, but must be about 8%, because drinking a single bottle makes my legs rubbery. 6% beers just don't do that.

Bottom line: a so-so California Amber Ale (*NOT* India Pale Ale). Ok if you want to get drunk fast and don't mind the nasty burnt-plastic smell; but otherwise, skip this; there are thousands of better ales and beers out there. 2 stars out of 5. Poor-to-mediocre.

2.16/5  rDev -44.5%

A: golden/amber with very thin head, which went away fairly quickly.

S: molass, sugar, sweet fruit, pine apple, fishy,,,?

T: some dish with fish sauce? I am distracted by this flavor and it's not that good in the beer... grape fruit hop flavor comes after that, but doesn't go well with fishiness. In overall, it feels plain/flat on the palate, and feels balanced. one drawback is this fishiness. it's just distracting.

M: relatively dry, and goes down freshly.

D: not so drinkable with that weird taste that I can't get over with...

2.16/5  rDev -44.5%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--brown gem topaz, nice dense head (eggshell white)

S--sweet malt, somewhat metallic

T--sweet malt front, piney hop middle--then flavor quickly drops

M--medium, somewhat slick

D--very generic at best. Lacks the boldness that good APAs have. Nothing in here is assertive. All the flavors are one dimensional.

2.18/5  rDev -44%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

2.23/5  rDev -42.7%

Copper colored body with a thin head that has minimal retention and lacing.

Smells a little bit like pine-scented cleaning product mixed with some kind of citrus product of the same ilk.

This beer is just harsh, and not in a good way that many IPAs are. Big notes of lemon and grapefruit and a ton of pine, mixed with alcohol. The bitterness isn't so much tongue twisting as it is burning and bile-like. Although I haven't tasted cleaning products, this is about what I expect they would taste like.

EW. I don't want this in my mouth long enough to figure out how it feels.

I grabbed a pint of this beer at a bar without other craft options, but I think it is time that Lagunitas and I go our separate ways, as we don't seem to get along. On a side note, this reminds me of Troegs Scratch 37, which I also disliked, but to a lesser degree.

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Too hoppie, only for ipa lovers

2.32/5  rDev -40.4%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. I LOVE Lagunitas, and surprisingly have never tried this one before. It's an IPA by Lagunitas, how can it be disappointing? Well it is to me. Most Lagunitas beers have similar hop profiles that smell amazing and taste amazing.. not this one. Smells like cat piss and/or warm apple juice. Lots of orange peel. Lots of malt. Tastes like it smells. Now it has that classic golden color and nice retention and the mouthfeel is spot on, but that can't save the aromas and flavors. Weird and one dimensional. I hope this was an old bottle..

I never thought I'd be so let down by a Lagunitas brew. It doesn't change the way I feel about them one bit though because literally everything else they do is gold. Bad bottle maybe??

2.32/5  rDev -40.4%

2.4/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad IPA but just a little one-sided. It's all hop. Bold, even brash citrus assault your palate and there is not much malt to protect you. Funny though, I can smell biscotti and cookies, but just don't really appreciate those in the flavor. Mouthfeel is fine - though the bitterness lingers. Overall it's solidly built, but kinda not too polished. It has stiff competition from the multitude of great IPAs available - try Harpoon!

2.43/5  rDev -37.5%

I tried this beer with a group of my buddies at work and we all came to the same conclusion, this beer tast just like grapefruit! This is ok as long as you are a grapefruit lover, however not one of us are. For the price you can get a much better IPA. If you want to save money, buy a bottle of grapfruit juice and add vodka!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Taco Mac Perimeter. Dismal IPA selection, so I chose Lagunitas, as I've never had a bad beer from them before.

The beer was served in a pint glass. There was no head whatsoever, not even a film over the top. The beer was uber-clear, copper color. I would have never served a beer like this unless I knew that's the way it was supposed to look.

The smell reminded me of when you're cleaning up the next morning after a party, stale macro beer. No hops, just a sweet-sour aroma. It tasted like a flat macro, not even drinkable. I told my waitress it was not a good beer and she said she gets that a lot with the Lagunitas IPA. I can't figure out if it was the quality of the beer or the treatment from the establishment. Perhaps both. I have had quite a few beers from this restaurant before and I've never had a problem. I've never had a Lagunitas IPA before either, but I have had their Maximus which I enjoyed.

I drank less than half and finished my meal drinking Atlanta chlorinated water instead.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a 6-pack of this for very cheap, about 7 dollars. The price shows.

Color is a sort of cheap-looking amber.
Taste is almost non-existent. I can taste a hint of bitterness, faintly like it's calling to me from behind a locked door. "Let me in! Let me in!" only to be muffled by its assailant, Lagunitas brewing co.

Though it was cheap, I do not buy beer because it's cheap. Would not buy again!

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company