Lagunitas IPA | Lagunitas Brewing Company

45.6 IBU

Added by kbub6f on 07-10-2001

Reviews: 1,769 | Ratings: 8,624
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer has a striking new penny copper colour and throws off a nice soapy tan head. The nose is sharp and carries a bit of pine and mulched leaves and roots with sweet smelling malt layers and slight grapefruit underneath. Pretty mellow. The taste comes in sweet and bubbly with a wave of earthy dryness washing in behind it. Initially, there is a sweetness that stands out and slight vegetable flavours as well as the aforementioned pine come in behind. The mouthfeel is fizzy which works well in my opinion. A rather gentle dryness comes through in the finish. Overall this thing is very well balanced. There is nothing outrageous or exaggerated. All of the elements come together and make a tasty beer that is very drinkable and satisfying. I say well done.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A good, solid IPA. Pours a coppery amber color, slightly cloudy with a medium sized slightly off white head. Head retention is fair and lacing is fairly light. Nice piney hops smell. The taste is good: piney and floral hops , crisp rather than oily taste and mouthfeel. The hops predominate but they are not overwhelming,. There is some balance here for the less enthusiastic hopheads. Didn't notice any strong citrus taste like many flavorful IPAs. Overall mouthfeel is fairly good, light but not too watery. Drinkability is good. This is a fairly mild but still hoppy IPA. At 5.7 abv, I would consider it sessionable. I have liked every Lagunitas beer I have had so far.

3.59/5  rDev -7%

Noticed that ABC actually had a brewery that I hadn't seen before so I picked up one of these guys
A: Amber in color with a 1" fluffy head that leaves a nice lace, well carbonated
S: Hops, hops, hops...flowers, grass, citrus
T: Very bitter, nice and hopy along with a metallic touch, grass, possibly a touch of citrus
MF: A little too dry for me, bitter, but crisp...not very clean
D: I could drink about 2 or 3 of these guys before throwing in the towel

Overall a very decent IPA...I suggest a trial

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a nice copper-amber color with a one-finger head. Aroma is mostly malt with a slight hints of hops. Taste is grassy and hoppy upfront with a toasty finish. It seems quite balanced for an IPA. A second sip confirms a nice hop bitterness in the back and toasty notes. I can't honestly say anything bad about this IPA. It reminds me more of a British IPA though. Balanced and sessionable.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap @ the Tap House in Hampton.

A - Dark golden-orange hue with a frothy head and great lacing.

S - Very coppery and metallic, I wasn't sure if this was a beer smell or some sort of fluid for my car. Nothing else was very distinct, maybe some citrus tinge.

T - Non-potent, average for the style. Hops and spice with a bit of a floral profile near the end.

M - Medium bodied, slightly dry, left a strange oily feel and an odd aftertaste in my mouth.

D - For how inoffensive it is, I'd say fairly high, I could put several of these back and not pay much attention to it. Would definitely pick it up over a water-lager if nothing else was available, but I can't say I'll be seeking it out again. I wouldn't recommend it nor would I bash it, it's take it or leave it here.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Ahoy1 Finally we get some Lagunitas love in Michigan. I've had this before on my trips, but have been unable to review until now. Pours out to a sparkingly clear deep copper, forming a meringue-like creamy white head with excellent retention and lacing. The aroma is lovely...full of pungent, skunky, funky, oily fresh hops. I smell Amarillo. Mouthfeel is relatively soft for an IPA, with a medium-dense body. Taste begins with the aforementioned hops, big and bold, followed by some soap and mild crystal malts. Grain and husk follow with some soft yet distinct bitterness. Chlorophyll lingers in the aftertaste. Well-balanced for the style.

A wonderful IPA. Up there with Speakeasy, Founders, and Stone.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

On the whole, this is a well balanced, inoffensive IPA. The color is a nice mellow orange with a cloudy, milky quality and an adequately frothy head. The aroma of this beer is probably the highlight. Taking a deep breath indicates how well balanced the beer really is. This beer is not overly hoppy, but is well balanced and rounds out well on the back-end.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%

This poured a nice slightly cloudy dark orange with lots of head and lacing, quite nice. Smell was hoppy, with some malts in there too. Flavor was quite good, hops were dominant but there were malts in there as well balancing out this brew quite nicely. It is slightly smoother and easier to drink than most IPAs as the hops are not as aggressive. But still the hops are present enough to make this a good enjoyable IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a clear copper-orange color under a tight and thick off-white head. Decent head retention throughout the glass with a bit of spotty lacing.

Nicely balaced, but somewhat faint aromas of caramel and toasted malts with citrus and pine hop contributions. Was a bit disappointed that the nose seemed a bit tame.

Palate was smooth, moderately full and had just the right amount of carbonation.

Flavor seemed to surprisingly lean to the malty side for a west coast IPA. A bit more assertive and richer than the nose. Pleasant notes of caramel, biscuits, malt-balls, grapefruit, orange peel and pine greet the tongue.

Finish is well balanced with a bitter-sweet lingering. Easy goinÂ’ down and a pretty decent IPA.

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Bold and Bubbly this beer pours a dense thick rocky head of foam that lasted to the bitter end of this IPA. Color is Burnt to golden orange in color with a copious amount of bubbles.

Smell- Clean buttery and citrusy hop aroma. The malt breaks thru with a biscuit and caramel notes. The finishing hops are delightful.

Taste-This beer comes off with a clean, crisp taste that exudes a slight hint of diacetyl. slightly buttery, my guess it's likely EKG hops more then actual Diacetyl. Plenty of citrusy hops. Very well balance hop profile.

Mouthfeel-This is a nice medium bodied beer, on the verge of being over-carbonated though.

Drinkability- For style this beer was pretty much spot on, not my favorite IPA, but a good one. I'm going to try some of the other Lagunitas products before I revisit this one again. I would drink it again.

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%

A - A slightly hazy amber brew with a huge head and gorgeous, thick, lacy . . . uh, lacing.

S - Amber malt with a pleasant floral hop bouquet with a backing of faint pepper and pine. Not as strong (or as peppery) as I remember.

T - A biscuity malt with a lot of dry malty support. The hops dominate with a prominant flavor of flowers, peppercorns and and grapefruit pith. Aftertaste is a light bitterness on the back of the tounge with a touch of biscuity flavor. For some bizarre reason, I keep expecting this beer to have a sour finish (it doesn't at all) - very strange.

M - Smooth, thin to medium bodied, very refreshing.

D - Had it before, will have it again. A nice IPA from the locals. Certainly worth having if you see it.

Average across the board and completely what I was expecting. Poured a medium orange bronze colour with a a white, soapy head. Smelled of pine sap and grapefruit rind. Tasted of pine sap and grapefruit rind with a touch a maltiness. Another hoppy American IPA of which there are thousands (well, probably hundreds, but you know what I mean). Not a bad beer, but this style is simply so over-done. A decent American IPA nonetheless, provided you enjoy the style.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color was a nice amber with very little head on the pour. Smell was different than the run of the mill IPAs, it had more grainy/piny smell than others, but pleasantly different. It still has the traditional floral smell of an American IPA mixed in too. Taste was different again. Citrus up front with lots of hop flavor, turning into the grainy malty flavor in the middle, but finishing up again with the hoppy citrus bitter flavor. Long, long finish on this beer, very nice. Drinkability changed throughout the beer. Initially I was not high on the different taste to it, but as the beer went down I started to enjoy it more. After the final sip I realized I could sit down and enjoy a few of these at one sitting.

Overall a very good American IPA with hops everywhere, but a significantly different taste than other IPAs, a very enjoyable different taste. I have 5 more to try and I look forward to them.

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've had this in 22oz form, as well as on-tap at a couple places in town. Reviewing my on-tap experience.

A copper orange body, with quite a bit of head (thanks to an overzealous or busy bartender). Aroma is a great blend of hops and subtle maltiness. Pine, citrus, you know the rest.

The hops come to the front, as expected. Resin, but not excessivly, coats the mouth. Make sure this is the last beer of the night, because anything after it will not taste the same. Dry finish and very drinkable. Not one of the strongest IPA's I've had, but a good session beer for an IPA fan like myself.

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours out to a pretty orange-amber with a decent frothy head. It's a bit off from good because there were some traces of sludgy yeast that poured out as well (though I think maybe it's just this batch or something). I can smell citrus notes as well as the grains.

I haven't had this beer in years, and I'm surprised to find the taste is not too hoppy. When I first had this beer, the hops were too much for me, but after drinking other beers for a while, this has become quite palatable. Nice spicy hop character. I find other American IPAs a bit overpowering on the hops to the point where I can't even taste the beer anymore, but now with a greater tolerance for the hops taste, I can pick out the malty character of the beer. This tastes like a really good amber ale with more hops, basically.

The mouthfeel is OK, though nothing special, not too thin, not too thick.

The drinkability on this one is pretty good for an IPA. In general, IPAs aren't very drinkable for me, but this one is pretty easy to handle for even moderately experienced beer drinkers. I would recommend this to anyone who likes amber ales and wants to try IPAs.

3.02/5  rDev -21.8%

12 ounce bottle from Cooke's

Poured into a pint glass with not much of a head

Not enough hops going on in this one for me, but my bottle was a week or two past the best by date, so that might have been why

Cannot complain about the price though, 6 dollars for a 6 pack

Average American IPA in my opinion

Not too much to compliment or rip on this beer about.Both smell and taste yields to peach.It is smooth with that same peachy finish.I would recommend to try one time but not to get your hopes of it's a pretty average ale.Personally I would drink if offered but I doubt I would ever again purchase this product.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A = Very nice amber/copper color with a small white head, which laced well holding the glass throughout the entire tasting.
S = A great smelling beer, I opened the bottle and it filled my nose prior to even pouring it in the pint glass. Pine & Citrus.
T = A very nice bitter bite. The hop bitterness comes through with some woodsy feeling and a citrus zest closing.
M = The beer holds the tongue well and doesn't let up.
D = A very nice beer indeed. I intended to sip and enjoy, but after 5 minutes, it went down just too easily. I didn't pair it with anything, so I have no recommendation on that as of yet, but I do have 5 more in the fridge.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours an amber color with a nice off-white head. The aroma is sweet malt and a good dose of citrusy hops. The taste is much like the smell in that it features a nice balance of malt and hops. Like most American IPA's, the hops certainly steal most of the spotlight. Overall, this is a very good IPA that is highly recommended for all the hop-heads out there.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

I had this one after drinking a bomber of Bear Republic Racer 5. Needless to say, after the Racer I couldn't even taste the Lagunitas for a few sips. It looks great and smells like an IPA should, but as some others have noted here, it really is a "beginner" IPA. Dare I say it could even be considered a sessonable IPA? Oh I dare.

Worth a try, but if you are serious about your hops, stick with Two-Hearted or Racer.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a golden amber color with a thin white one finger head that holds nice retention and leaves thick coating of lace. Like a blanket of snow. Big fruity and piney hop aromas with a toasty and biscuit malt background. Bitterness is quite apparent and smacks you in the face.

Resiny pine hop flavors leave a slick oily finish on the tongue. Grapefruit notes are detected in the bitterness. Caramel and biscuit malt notes fall in behind the oily hop profile. Slick mouthfeel with a nice twang of hop bitterness in the finish and a fruity aftertaste. All about the hops here. A very nice session ipa--one of the best out there.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

My glass arrives a bit of a hazed copper/orange, with a sizeable off-white head that leaves big clumps of lace. Nose is probably the highpoint, with unrestrained fresh hop aromas over the top of at must be a lot of sweet malt - a virtual pine forest and a bit floral. Mouth-watering to say the least.
Flavor isn't a letdown per se, but not up to the aroma in class. Quite bitter but I never tire of it with the citrus notes and underlying caramel malt - overall this beer is quite sweet, and without the substantial hop profile I believe it would be too sweet for me. The bitter and drying finish coats the mouth with hop oils - this will be with me for a while, and probably only a beer for confirmed hopheads. Body is medium, carbonation a bit brisk, and overall I have zero complaints.
Usually if I can get this, I can get something I like even better...but I have on occasion had more than two of this beer and would gladly do so again.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the stubby 12oz. bottle into a tulip pint the beer was a dark golden color boardering on light bronze. Two fingers of white head sat atop the beer with some floating sediment throughout the sample as well. Some spotty lacing throughout.

The nose is heavily hoppy with a resiny citrus character coming through quite nicely.

The taste hits the palate with a hoppy bitterness up front that coats the tounge and starts to give way to a piney and citrusy character. A healthy dose of rounded maltiness provides a sublte balance to the beer but its IPA-ness shines through in the finish with a new dose of floral bitterness and a quick dry finish.

Medium body, crisp, and dry in the finish.

All in all an enjoyable IPA. A nice snappy but not overly abrasive bitterness balanced with enough malt character to keep the beer from being one-sided.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

Sampled at Stubbie, in Gainesville, FL. Attractive, spare labeling. Appearance is light copper in color, smallish head with decent retention and little lacing. Smell is very standard for an American IPA: pine, citrus. Taste is along the same lines, but the hop character is not "juicy" - rather, dry. Decently balanced as far as malt/bitterness. Medium body, well-carbonated. Decent IPA.

2.54/5  rDev -34.2%

eyes...
light caramel hue, one finger of white foam that recedes quickly, lacing is very good, just a very average looking brew, which is not a detriment really

nose...
nice piney citrus notes right off the bat, grapefruit... amarillo hops ? underneath they smell a little green and herbally... and really fresh. for just a regular IPA the smell is very nice

taste etc...
the carbonation is a bit lacking which impacts the mouthfeel negatively, mild hop oils flow, barely any IBUs felt.. I wonder how this is rated in terms of IBUs but the bitterness is missing, ditto the hops for the most extent, this is also a bit watery for my tastes. you can taste some sweetness from the malt but you have to work for it.
not much else to say, this is pretty weak on the flavor dept.

verdict?
disappointed. I enjoy many of their beers but this one... stay away unless you want a totally watered down tasting IPA to start someone off with who is used to non craft brews...

music: napalm death - the great and the good

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company