Lagunitas IPA | Lagunitas Brewing Company

45.6 IBU

Added by kbub6f on 07-10-2001

Reviews: 1,749 | Ratings: 8,541
4.75/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A gloriously balanced, highly quaffable IPA. It is truly luxurious on the palate and one sip begets another. Also, its James McMurtry's favorite beer and he's one of the best musicians and songwriters, period. So you should drink it.

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas IPA is in my opinion one of the most balanced ipas out there. Really tasty.
It has a nice appearance, smell, and taste. Very drinkable and at an affordable price, you can't beat it! This was my first beer from lagunitas and certainly not the last one.

4.72/5  rDev +22%

not my usual pick. was mixed in my 6 pack at the grocery store, i was lazy and didnt return it when at the register. i normaly dont like ipa's but this one rocked. smooth and refreshing it was right on ,dig? so if you see this beer try it, its real good.

4.71/5  rDev +21.7%

This is my favorite IPA to enjoy...whenever. Like a normal persons Bud Light if you will. It smells so good and tastes even better. Keeps me coming back for more.

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

DATE REVIEWED: August 8, 2014... GLASSWARE: Maudite snifter... OCCASION: Camp summer #4 ends; no job for Shan though... APPEARANCE: orange amber body; diminishing, bubbly white head that leas beautifully arching lacing; strong cirrus swaths... AROMA: robust peach and pine cone--orange, melon, pineapple--grainy, demanding malts make this an intense, cagey meeting... PALATE: full-bodied, warming and thick--aggressive on the teeth and tongue; dry enough to slow sips; versatile ... TASTE: evenly balanced; with an intense hop bomb accompanying every sip; the intense pine comb produces ripples of orange, tangerine and mango and repercussions of the most palatably bitter ale ... OVERALL: in a three-way battle with Prism and Heavy Seas for roommate get-together IPA supremacy, Lagunitas asserts a dominant character--an irrepressible combination of drinkability and enjoyability...no doubt one of the best IPAs I have ever had...

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

A - Pours a hazy honey color with a 1 inch white head that fades to nothing. Good ring lacing on this beer.

S - Smells of citrus zest, pine needles, and malt.

T - Bitter pine hops, acidic citrus zest, sweet malt finish. Very very tasty.

M - Perfect carbonation on this beer. Dry with a well done bitter/acidic coating in the mouth.

D - Superb. Easy drinking and super tasty makes for a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

This here is one of my all-time favorites, even though it has the hop profile of a bitter Pale Ale as opposed to what I think of as a true IPA. Nonetheless...satisfying to all of the senses. Pours a slightly pinkish golden hue with a very nice, choppy, beige head. Good lacing, apparently moderate carbonation. The smell is mild, and is perhaps the weak link in an otherwise strong chain of features. Basically it is just piney/rindey Cascade hops with an interesting but understated malty sweetness underneath. The taste is what I like the best. A bready malt flavor makes an appearance, showing off a little bit of a buttery aspect. The hops soon take over, initially astringent, now lemony, and finally ultra-dry and piney. The mouthfeel is solid for the style and right up my alley. Slightly chewier than many hop-heavy beers, this brew has a nice alcoholic warmth and is perfect for chilly Spring and Fall evenings. Drinkability is maximal, and I will take this over most widely available IPAs any day.

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Comes out of the tap a dark, hazy, honey-golden with a fine-bubbled beige head. Aroma is richly hoppy, somewhat evergreen, promising a good IPA. Strongly evergreen flavor is richly hoppy, quite bitter but not overwhelmingly so, and subtly sweet; it gives the impression of drinking a pine tree - what a great IPA does! Texture is rich, lively and somewhat smooth. A must for anyone who loves hoppy beers.

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

A potent and bold IPA. Muscular hop character. Very hazey amber-orange swimming with sediments. Citrus and floral signatures try hard to compete with an assertive bitterness. Herbal and grass aromas intermix giving the perception of the outdoors captured in a bottle. Prost!

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have enjoyed this particular beer on both tap and from the bottle. It is on tap at my restaurant so I often pour this guy as my shift beer. It gives a lot of head when serving from the tap however the appearance is remarkable. The golden orange brew smells great and goes down like water. The taste is of course far from water- a nice, hoppy, semi bitter IPA. Mouthfeel is almost 10 out of 10. I would recommend this to a friend any day.

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy gold/orange color. Very nice thick, off white head, very good retention and high marks for lacing. Aroma of this American IPA is wonderful highest marks. The nose is full of pine and citrus. The Hops are the star of the show with this brew. There is some slight grainy undertones that are able to sneak through the Hop Overload. The taste of the AIPA is as the nose suggests, lots of pine, citrus- Hops dominate the flavor. There is a malted grain backbone that gives way to a bitter, creamy smooth finish. This IPA is like drinking Silk. So So Smooth. You have heard of love making music? This is a love making beer- I will have this at the ready bedside the next time I take the wife to pleasure town. Very well balanced- Absolute treat for hop heads.

4.67/5  rDev +20.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Harpoon IPA kolsh-style pint glass.

Appearance - Large, loose barely off-white head with great retention and not much stick. Clear copper body.

Smell - Hoppy aroma with a balanced malty sweetness to it.

Taste - Medium to mild hoppiness. A bit of alcohol hidden under the brunt of it. Very mild sweetness well hidden under the surface which you almost don't notice, but works well at balancing the beer.

Mouthfeel - Refreshing. Easy going. Almost none of the typical astringent qualities you'd come to expect from the style.

Overall Drinkability - A great balanced, mild IPA. Might be a good gateway IPA to get people into the style, if they've had poor experiences with hoppier, more 'arrogant' IPAs. Refreshing and laid back. Though after a couple of these hop teases, you might get in the mood for something with a bit more of a kick.

4.66/5  rDev +20.4%

Glad I didn't review this beer after the first time I had it almost a year ago. At that time, my opinion of it would've gone something like this: "overrated and underhopped" - again, glad I didn't review it at that time. NOW: Trying it again for the first time, this beer is amazing. It's everything I like in an IPA and more. Followed an Anchor Old Foghorn Barleywine with this magnificent IPA and it was like Heaven. (And I'd had a Hop Stoopid before the barleywine, so my palate was already exposed to a super load of hops for the eve). It's citrusy, piney, and oh so quaffable. A beautiful beer to look at and the aroma does not differentiate from the taste. Mouthfeel is awesome and the drinkability level is oh so high. My only thought on the reason the first sample underwhelmed is that it was old. The problem with Lagunitas' products is that there's no best by date anywhere (that I can find). So one never knows what one is getting: fresh or old . . . or should I say great or not-so-great? Happy to see this brewery arrive in town after a looong wait for Hop Stoopid and the rest of its excellent brews. STATUS: BREWERY REPUTATION VINDICATED!

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

This is one of my favorite beers, and I wish I would have reviewed it sooner. I am drinking it in a wine glass, because I was in a fancy mood.

A - The color is copper to gold, very clear, one finger head that leaves pretty quickly but leaves a gorgeous web of lacing with steps after ever sip.

S - It smells tart, the grapefruit/orange smell dominates the malt, but I say tart because the sweetness keeps it from smelling sour. A good balance in my book.

T - The taste goes from sweet to sour really quickly with a big cascade/simcoe punch. It is full of juicy citrus and then turns bitter towards the end leaving a resiny feel on the back of my tongue.

M - This beer has a sharp, crispness to it that makes it really refreshing, with a mid-light to medium body that adds to refreshing quality of this beer.

O - I love this beer. It is so juicy, crisp and full of citrus hop kick. I just can't imagine a better drink on a hot day. This is what I want from an IPA. I'm fine with a more intense hop, but that cascade, grapefruit punch really sells it for me. Thank you, Lagunitas.

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

A light copper colour to this one...sort of honey accents as well. Very inviting.

The smell carries an initial fruity/malty quality, with a hoppiness that hops right up behind.

The taste hits with a sweet maltiness, though not cloying. Shortly after, the hops kick in for a LONG pleasant bitter end.

THis one is a bit fizzy ont he top of the body...nice and even feel for an IPA.

Very nice, IMO...I wouldn't mind having it again.

Be well
-UF

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

First IPA I've ever had on tap. The appearance is a bit more golden than your typical IPA. In fact, kind of looks like a Czech Pilsner. The smell and taste though, wow. I'd been avoiding this because my friend said it tasted like our homebrewed IPA (which was overwhelmingly bitter), but this beer is SOLID. Something different about it for an IPA. It's not overly hoppy, but crisp and almost lager-like. Very good all around. Definitely up there with the Stone's and Dogfish heads of the IPA world.

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a vibrant golden-amber in the glass. Great hoppy aroma, grassy with some onions and crushed garlic—in a good way. (Thanks to Lagunitas Sucks for helping me pick up those notes.) It’s a West Coast IPA, definitely, with a hop bite that’s light and crisp with a sharp bitterness and a wonderful finish. This is a classic.

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%

this beer looks great, a medium-orange color with a sturdy foam that sticks around. little to no carbonation visible in the glass.

this beer smells hoppy like an ipa, but has a serious sweet malt character to it. this beer is raisiny in the nose. delicious aroma which is impressive. some grapefruit too.

amazing ipa. great. hoppy and sweet with mild bitterness which doesn't corrupt your palate. something nutty in the aftertaste, like hazelnut! light mouthfeel. give me more of this winner.

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%

This may have just become my new go-to beer.

I had this on-tap, served in a pint glass.

A - The lighting in the restaurant was not great, but the beer appeared to be a golden orange color with a thick head. Exquisite lacing as I finished the beer.

S - This is what really got me. The hops are apparent and I love that. The beer smells of pine, citrus, and some other natural herb that is in the hops family (wink wink). I wish they made an air freshener that smelled like this beer. On second thought, I think that would cause major problems if I got pulled over.

T - The hops are certainly upfront, followed by hints of citrus. Malt is there, but definitely in the background. This beer leaves a pleasant aftertaste.

M - Extremely smooth without sacrificing carbonation.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. I can't believe I've waited so long to try it. It will definitely become a regular in my fridge.

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%

A - Nice copper hue with a thick, fast-rising and fast-fading head.

S - One of the more fragrant beers I've had the pleasure of putting my nose into recently. Bright, crisp, flowery, sweet, sugary. Puts a smile on your face. Very inviting. A bit of malt to balance it out with a very slight scent of alcohol.

T - Wow. A great ratio of malt to hops, with hops obviously stealing the show. Fresh, piney, woody, sweet, delicious. Nectar can sum this beer up in one word. A bit of alcohol lingers as the beer warms. This is the epitome of California IPA's, brewed with some of the best hops on the planet.

M - Thick and creamy but not heavy. Fantastic body. Sweet malt lingers on the palate to remind you that another sip is in order.

Such an amazing IPA. I had it on draft in San Diego over Labor Day weekend and waited to review it once I had it in a bottle. I am now a Lagunitas fan.

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Mostly clear, yellowish orange with a small white head that dissapates rather quickly and leaves a strong lacing. Very inviting looking IPA for sure.

Hit with a huge aroma of pine, citrus, grapefruit hops, followed by some light malts. A little lopsided towards the piney malt equation, which I love, but still could use a tad more depth.

Almost smack on to the aroma, with the piney and citrusy hops, with just a slight, sweet, caramel malt background. Nothing really over the top here, just has the basic American IPA elements in a very well balanced, tasty way. Bitterness lingers a tad more than anything else.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Crisp and refreshing with a little body - perfect.

Yes, I know this one is just about everywhere you go in California, but I'm totally fine with that, because I think this is a benchmark. Just a really great, basic IPA leaning towards the piney, hoppy side of things, like many CA IPA's do. There are definitely more exciting IPA's out there, but this one is a solid staple.

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

a - good head retention, clear, bright yellow/copper color
s - fresh cut grass, some lemon, hint of caramel/malt
t - medium bitterness upfront, then slight maltiness, and a crisp finish with nice lingering hop note
m - medium body, balanced co2 in the mouth
d- Oh yeah ;)

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

A real nice amber color pour with a creamy top. Eventhough it is 8.2% by volume it tastes a feels like a 6.0 beer but packs a nice whollop! I always buy 1 pt 6oz bottle along with the Imperial Stout for a nice night of beer drinking. All the beer from this brewery taste fresh and refreshing.. I just keep coming back to Lagunitas my favorite craft beer outside of Oregon where I live.

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

On cask at Trappeze in Athens. Delicius grapefruity goodness meets the smoothness of real ale. Camra would be proud of this offering and the people of England couldn't handle these west coast hops. Amazingly easy to drink thanks in part to Lagunitas and also thanks to the wonders of cask conditioned ales.

100th Review

A - medium copper with a white puffy head and tight lacing

S - a beautiful / bountiful bouquet of hops. Floral, Citrus, Piney aromas.

T - Bitter and then resiny pine flavors. Followed by perfumey floral notes. Nice malt foundation leaves this beer nicely balanced.

M - oily and slick

D - this is the IPA that broke my cherry and made me venture into the world of craft beer. I have had this on tap at my house so many times that my wife is tired of it. I am still a huge fan and probably will be as long as it's made.

Lagunitas IPA from Lagunitas Brewing Company